IGNORED

Beer Today.

Bristol Rob

I think it was only a couple of seasons ago you could get 3 Thatchers Gold for just under £10.

Maybe I am living in the past, but £4.32, what's that a 50p increase on last season, does seem high.

Yes, I know there is the £4 first hour promotion.Is that every game? what about cup games?. The point is most people arrive after 2pm, drink at half time or after the game.

Could the SLO show the prices over the last 3 years maybe?

Stu

1 hour ago, thatcham red said:

I think it was only a couple of seasons ago you could get 3 Thatchers Gold for just under £10.

Maybe I am living in the past, but £4.32, what's that a 50p increase on last season, does seem high.

Yes, I know there is the £4 first hour promotion.Is that every game? what about cup games?. The point is most people arrive after 2pm, drink at half time or after the game.

Could the SLO show the prices over the last 3 years maybe?

Stu

It's so sad, we've got this lovely new/re-vamped stadium with good concourse facilities, but with the price increases they're only encouraging people to stay in the pubs longer. Plus the beer in the Gate is usually poor - you can get a much nicer pint from the Spanish or Beer/Tobacco Factory for less money.

Tbh, am perhaps going against the grain here but you expect a markup at sporting events, at concerts etc.

I remember going to Lords a few years ago it was pretty pricey even then for food and beer! Maybe it's too much but a markup is far from uncommon.

Not that fussed about drinking in the Concourse anyway- maybe a swift one at HT but in general not so bothered about it, pubs often preferable IMO.

4 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Tbh, am perhaps going against the grain here but you expect a markup at sporting events, at concerts etc.

I remember going to Lords a few years ago it was pretty pricey even then for food and beer! Maybe it's too much but a markup is far from uncommon.

Not that fussed about drinking in the Concourse anyway- maybe a swift one at HT but in general not so bothered about it, pubs often preferable IMO.

Don't think you are going against the grain, we have choices about where we drop our disposable income, and if we choose to spend it on booze, we can also choose which booze retailers we can use.

I just think the % increase is something of a concern.

It's like the concourse has left the EU and is working on WTO terms! 

I’m trying to look at how the bar manager/catering officer justify the price increases - I guess it’s the immediate proximity and easy access the seats would be one justification.

I do know that the catering officer is expected to make a certain percentage of profit across the stadium and that’s partly why Senior Reds luncheon has increased to £18. I daresay hospitality has increased as well.

City is a profit making organisation after all.

9 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Don't think you are going against the grain, we have choices about where we drop our disposable income, and if we choose to spend it on booze, we can also choose which booze retailers we can use.

I just think the % increase is something of a concern.

It's like the concourse has left the EU and is working on WTO terms! 

Yeah true- increase seems a bit exorbitant.

Maybe it's a case of bringing into line a bit though- if enough people don't buy beer on the concourse they'll have to look again of course. Quick Google search cites £8.50 for a hotdog at Lords! (Only £4.50 a pint mind you).

Another suggested £5.20 a pint as of 2017 at a 20/20. Not exactly out of whack with my memories from going to Tests there a few years ago.

London Stadium last year?

Dk5sYCQW4AA34Ei?format=jpg&name=900x900

£6.30.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Maybe it's a case of bringing into line a bit though- if enough people don't buy beer on the concourse they'll have to look again of course. Quick Google search cites £8.50 for a hotdog at Lords! (Only £4.50 a pint mind you).

Bringing it in line with stadiums nationally is of course, one argument, but it's a flawed one (in my view).

Not being an out of town stadium in some industrial park with no nearby alternatives, we are lucky in that there are countless alternative watering holes we can all visit, and such a price jump will push the price conscious towards these, removing their spend from Ashton Gate.

Each to their own, but if you get 4 pay on the day supporters who go a couple of times a season and are then hit with a twenty quid round, they might well decide that the match day experience has become too expensive.

I dare say the number crunchers will sit down and change things if the increased prices mean less profit based on fewer sales, but the jump from the prices last season to this have taken me by surprise.

13 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I’m trying to look at how the bar manager/catering officer justify the price increases - I guess it’s the immediate proximity and easy access the seats would be one justification.

I do know that the catering officer is expected to make a certain percentage of profit across the stadium and that’s partly why Senior Reds luncheon has increased to £18. I daresay hospitality has increased as well.

City is a profit making organisation after all.

#Bristol Sport

And dispite the justified complaints,as much ? as per usual will be sold in the concourse this Sunday..

On 28/07/2019 at 16:01, Pezo said:

Your right bar takings are a small part of the overall income but if they increase bar takings then we might be able to afford that one extra players wages. 

I'd very much doubt they are going to make more money by increasing. Takings will roughly stay the same.

On 28/07/2019 at 17:23, BigTone said:

Look at it this way. The average price of a pint in Bristol is £4.37 according to this forum.  BCFC are charging £5.00 so a difference of £0.63.  If you have 6 pints then that equates to £3.78.  Are you really going to bother your arse getting into a lather over such an amount ?  And that's not allowing for any season ticket discounts or whatever.

In the average boozer around Bristol, around £3.50 is the going rate for a pint.

19 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'd very much doubt they are going to make more money by increasing. Takings will roughly stay the same.

In the average boozer around Bristol, around £3.50 is the going rate for a pint.

No idea where he got £4.37 average, all I can say if that's the average then some places must be charging about £5.50, can't see it myself. 

I know that margins vary hugely in pubs and bars in terms of what they can make from a pint, but does anyone with knowledge of the pub sector able to likely guess what City might be trying to achieve?

I would assume that whilst tied to Heineken, with Ashton Gate being (effectively) a free-house, and with the brewery having prominent sponsorship, we aren't paying anything close to top dollar for the beer at source.

18 minutes ago, BigTone said:

Based my comment on other posts on here saying it is £4.37

That's misleading, no pub in pill charges anything like £4.37 and I doubt what would be considered the average pub does either, that average must be skewed by including wine bars, Clifton, night clubs etc no way is a pint £4.37 in the average pub. and by average I mean normal pubs away from the city centre.

If we are comparing prices with pubs, surely the most relevant comparison is with local pubs within walking distance of Ashton Gate.

Masonic last season was £3.50 for Thatchers Gold with a loyalty card. OK, it doesn't have the same shiny facilities or the proximity as the ground, so perhaps has to work a bit harder to incentivise sales. The Spanish and Rising Sun are closer and are priced almost as competitively (with cans as options).

For me, it's not just about the price of a pint in isolation. It is about the overall match day experience and the tough choices some fans are already having to make about disposable income. Our match day ticket prices and lack of availability of seats at the lower end of the pricing scale (south stand) is a factor. The 8 season cards the Supporters Club & Trust buy each season are used exclusively by adults bringing new kids along, who wouldn't otherwise be able to go to a game. Many more people are having to pay to park now. Train travel (even split ticket booked in advance) is not cheap. We don't all live in Bristol!

It will be interesting to see how the sales figures play out. Most people will just suck it up and pay the price. There will be people with less choice about arrival time and others who will be able to afford it or will simply think they are putting more money into their football club.

Stu

I have just brought 12 bottles henry westons for £20, that's £1.66 a pint, so do the maths on how much of a mark up the club are putting on a pint, I know they have to make money, I would imagine that the club would get beer/cider at a better rate than I paid. I know a friend that had brought 24 cans old english cider from a booker wholesaler and it worked out at 21p a can, a few years ago.The only way to make a change is don't buy it from the stadium.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Another suggested £5.20 a pint as of 2017 at a 20/20. Not exactly out of whack with my memories from going to Tests there a few years ago.

London Stadium last year?

Dk5sYCQW4AA34Ei?format=jpg&name=900x900

£6.30.

I don't personally think its right to compare what are essentially one off events with a situation whereby the same punters are showing up for 23 events, more if you include friendlies, cup matches and maybe even the rugby if a double SC.

Personal choice of course. I reckon it may well bite the club on the arse though.

2 hours ago, pillred said:

That's misleading, no pub in pill charges anything like £4.37 and I doubt what would be considered the average pub does either, that average must be skewed by including wine bars, Clifton, night clubs etc no way is a pint £4.37 in the average pub. and by average I mean normal pubs away from the city centre.

If you read my post it's not a figure I came up with.

Did find this from June 2018 though which would indicate that the other posters who said £4.37 are not far off the mark considering the below is over a year old..

UK Cost Per Pint
London £5.19
Oxford £4.57
Edinburgh £4.35
Bristol £4.32
Winchester £4.30
Brighton £4.24
Birmingham £4.16
Aberdeen £4.16
Belfast £4.03
St Albans £4.00
Canterbury £4.00

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a side issue

I heard on the Radio Bristol Forum they were saying the rugby players go onto the concourse after the game and mix with the fans 

Yup - the Lansdown concourse is the "Clubhouse" after the rugby games and the players and staff will mingle with the fans. Great way of creating the bond between fans and the guys on the pitch. 

11 minutes ago, BigTone said:

If you read my post it's not a figure I came up with.

Did find this from June 2018 though which would indicate that the other posters who said £4.37 are not far off the mark considering the below is over a year old..

UK Cost Per Pint
London £5.19
Oxford £4.57
Edinburgh £4.35
Bristol £4.32
Winchester £4.30
Brighton £4.24
Birmingham £4.16
Aberdeen £4.16
Belfast £4.03
St Albans £4.00
Canterbury £4.00

I honestly find those numbers unbelievable .

Might be more appropriate to check the prices in all pubs in BS3. I think apart from a few on North Street you would be hard pushed to pay £4 for a pint of just about anything.

Quite why anyone has to have a drink between 2.45 and 5pm escapes me, and I am a champions league piss artist.

4 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Yup - the Lansdown concourse is the "Clubhouse" after the rugby games and the players and staff will mingle with the fans. Great way of creating the bond between fans and the guys on the pitch. 

Assuming that those who buy the 2 pint drinks have a spare tenner to enjoy it!

2 minutes ago, Loon plage said:

Might be more appropriate to check the prices in all pubs in BS3. I think apart from a few on North Street you would be hard pushed to pay £4 for a pint of just about anything.

Hen & Chicken regularly charges north of four and a half quid for some of their pints. But for that mind, you also get the opportunity to sit down on a chair or bench and perch your beverage of choice on a table. Luxuries the concourse fails to provide. They also do chips. 

Archived