IGNORED

Beer Today.

Bristol Rob

1 minute ago, CyderInACan said:

Hen & Chicken regularly charges north of four and a half quid for some of their pints. But for that mind, you also get the opportunity to sit down on a chair or bench and perch your beverage of choice on a table. Luxuries the concourse fails to provide. They also do chips. 

Yep.

The seating point is often ignored isn't it.

You can pay sub £4 a pint right next to the ground, and if anyone has an issue with stumping up a fiver I would urge you to do so.

19 minutes ago, BigTone said:

If you read my post it's not a figure I came up with.

Did find this from June 2018 though which would indicate that the other posters who said £4.37 are not far off the mark considering the below is over a year old..

UK Cost Per Pint
London £5.19
Oxford £4.57
Edinburgh £4.35
Bristol £4.32
Winchester £4.30
Brighton £4.24
Birmingham £4.16
Aberdeen £4.16
Belfast £4.03
St Albans £4.00
Canterbury £4.00

Brother in law paid £5.50 for a pint in Padstow (also known as Padstein) a week ago!!

• Admin
23 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

As a side issue

I heard on the Radio Bristol Forum they were saying the rugby players go onto the concourse after the game and mix with the fans 

They have done for many many years

I was quite taken aback when I was at the Saracens game at the London Stadium when the team wondered into the bar area we were in and just casually went around chatting with people (having photos etc)

7 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

Brother in law paid £5.50 for a pint in Padstow (also known as Padstein) a week ago!!

Yup, was the same in Dartmouth last weekend

On 28/07/2019 at 10:39, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Anyone in the pub trade know what the mark up is in a pint? Are the margins thin or is a case of squeezing more out of an already decent margin? 

There are 88 pints in an 11G keg, so @ £5 a pint that’s £440.

I expect they’re getting a tidy deal from suppliers such as thatchers etc and would be surprised if they’re paying more than £90-£100 per keg.

I understand that the club needs to make money but it also has a duty of care imho to look after its supporters and not take the mick out of them which I believe this second yearly hike in price is doing. We are part of the club, indeed I believe that we remain the most important part of the club and as such that should mean that we get looked after to some degree, including in regards to prices of food and drink. You wouldn’t get this at the local social club, your local sports club, political club etc etc so it’s a shame it’s deemed acceptable here. Don’t get me wrong, its not a massive deal - the club arent forcing us to drink at the Gate and it’s a free market society so the club can do what it wants. But me and my mates had got into a nice rhythm of using the facilities more and more before and after the game - accepting the beer / cider isn’t great, it’s served in plastic and you don’t always get a seat / table, but weighing that up to the ease of use given that it’s at the the ground. Think that rhythm may change now and we will revert back to the pub more, which is a bit of a shame, but we will survive I’m sure! 

• Admin

Surely any stadium etc (not rightly) always charge more for any food or drink.

Not sure it is correct to compare to pubs around the area, we'd need to compare to other grounds to see if we are getting ripped off.

I drink in social clubs where a pint is either £2.50 (happy hour), £2.70 or £3. I feel like that I need a second mortgage at the City ground

20 minutes ago, jaydee=inspiration said:

As I said in a previous post a pint at my local when I'm at my apartment in Wandsworth costs £5.90.

2 minutes ago, BigTone said:

As I said in a previous post a pint at my local when I'm at my apartment in Wandsworth costs £5.90.

People who live in London generally get paid a fair deal more than elsewhere though - they certainly do for my role - so it’s not necessarily a fair comparison.  

7 minutes ago, phantom said:

Surely any stadium etc (not rightly) always charge more for any food or drink.

Not sure it is correct to compare to pubs around the area, we'd need to compare to other grounds to see if we are getting ripped off.

I drink in social clubs where a pint is either £2.50 (happy hour), £2.70 or £3. I feel like that I need a second mortgage at the City ground

Thing is though we don't have to pay a fiver if we don't want to. Some stadiums are arse end of nowhere and a trek to an alternative so essentially a captive audience. At AG there are alternatives very close at hand, and I reckon the club may find this out shortly.

The club could charge £6 and some would still pay it.

32 minutes ago, WesM said:

I expect they’re getting a tidy deal from suppliers such as thatchers etc and would be surprised if they’re paying more than £90-£100 per keg.

So if we guess they club pay £1.10 a pint.

There are overheads, staff, gas, glasses, VAT etc... so maybe that per pint poured, that adds another quid on to the total.

So they are knocking out a £2.10 pint for a fiver, with ample room for a discount.

At this rate, it will be cheaper to get wrecked up on the Bristol City Easter eggs!

• Admin
51 minutes ago, WesM said:

We pay £90 for that sized keg of Gold at a social club I'm involved with. We don't use the same company as has it's name plastered around AG8 as a local supplier is cheaper

With the size of the orders being placed at the ground, the figure would be much less than £90

15 minutes ago, phantom said:

We pay £90 for that sized keg of Gold at a social club I'm involved with. We don't use the same company as has it's name plastered around AG8 as a local supplier is cheaper

With the size of the orders being placed at the ground, the figure would be much less than £90

I know staff which work there and know for a fact they are paying £150+ a keg including vat

1 hour ago, lenred said:

People who live in London generally get paid a fair deal more than elsewhere though - they certainly do for my role - so it’s not necessarily a fair comparison.  

All relative when you take into account the cost of rents etc in London.

2 hours ago, BigTone said:

Did find this from June 2018 though which would indicate that the other posters who said £4.37 are not far off the mark considering the below is over a year old..

UK Cost Per Pint
London £5.19
Oxford £4.57
Edinburgh £4.35
Bristol £4.32
Winchester £4.30
Brighton £4.24
Birmingham £4.16
Aberdeen £4.16
Belfast £4.03
St Albans £4.00
Canterbury £4.00

Still have no idea where they came up with that figure, when was the last time you paid that for a pint in Bristol? there is nowhere I drink now that costs anywhere near that, I know it probably costs that down by the harbour but there must be far more places in Bristol that charge a lot less, as said earlier don't understand how that figure is arrived at, in my world I'm still a long way from paying that on an everyday basis, now if were talking about the Salutation in Looe that's a different matter!

56 minutes ago, Bcfccity said:

I know staff which work there and know for a fact they are paying £150+ a keg including vat

Amazed at that.

You would have thought we would be paying much less, even without the VAT that's about 25% more than some social clubs appear to be paying.

Any idea why they pay so much more?

3 hours ago, BigTone said:

UK Cost Per Pint
London £5.19
Oxford £4.57
Edinburgh £4.35
Bristol £4.32
Winchester £4.30
Brighton £4.24
Birmingham £4.16
Aberdeen £4.16
Belfast £4.03
St Albans £4.00
Canterbury £4.00

I did say in my post that by my estimates in the average boozer a pint is 3.50.

I've frequented plenty of boozers all over Bristol and the wider area so I am pretty qualified to know.

The figures are most likely somewhat skewed by the fact in the Centre beer prices are much higher than £3.50. places like nightclubs, golf clubs, fancy places are also 4 quid plus.

1 hour ago, pillred said:

Still have no idea where they came up with that figure, when was the last time you paid that for a pint in Bristol? there is nowhere I drink now that costs anywhere near that, I know it probably costs that down by the harbour but there must be far more places in Bristol that charge a lot less, as said earlier don't understand how that figure is arrived at, in my world I'm still a long way from paying that on an everyday basis, now if were talking about the Salutation in Looe that's a different matter!

Would it be taking clubs into consideration? A lot of clubs only do bottles at £3.60-£4.10 and that’s only a half, just a thought 

1 minute ago, Bcfccity said:

Would it be taking clubs into consideration? A lot of clubs only do bottles at £3.60-£4.10 and that’s only a half, just a thought 

Yes could be, it's just that for an average of £4.37 some places must be charging an absolute fortune, some on here have almost used that figure to defend the club saying they are a profit making organisation, well so is every pub and club, it was the large rise in a short space of time I think that has surprised a lot of us, 25% in only 2 years is taking the p*ss if you pardon the pun.

3 hours ago, Robert the bruce said:

Blimey - was drinking in Marylebone a couple of weeks ago,,was averaging about 4:80 a pint thinking it a bit pricy!

The Lighterman at Kings Cross is around £5.60 to £5.90 also. A pint and burger in there is the bones of £20.

• Admin
4 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Amazed at that.

You would have thought we would be paying much less, even without the VAT that's about 25% more than some social clubs appear to be paying.

Any idea why they pay so much more?

Possible that Heineken (or supplier) have lent the club a large amount of money over a set period of time and the club are paying the loan back as barrelage? 

Otherwise someone really needs to be looking at why we are paying so much. I was chatting on the train home tonight about this and he pays even less per barrel. 

Surely buying a much larger amount would massively cut costs even more? 

Archived