IGNORED

Diedhiou's fault

Superjack

4 hours ago, Superjack said:

As far as I can ascertain he had a good chance today and missed it.

So it's his fault that we lost 5-0.

Was that chance even as easy as people say? I thought it looked like it was fired across goal and slightly behind him and he got his foot on it but it went over. But did not see replay so can't say for sure.

28 minutes ago, JonDolman said:

Was that chance even as easy as people say? I thought it looked like it was fired across goal and slightly behind him and he got his foot on it but it went over. But did not see replay so can't say for sure.

Doesn't matter JD it's still his fault ??

The sarcasm is well placed as it does feel these days like people are waiting for a chance to blame Famara for our striking woes, which in my opinion would add insult to injury as the bloke is already being asked to do a thankless task with terrible support, it was 5-0 before Weimann actually played alongside him in the box, prior to that he rarely had a City player within 20 yards of him.

The chance from a yard out was easier to score than miss but the fact is either outcome would have been down to luck as it was simply a ball hammered across the box (the final ball all day lacked quality) which Fam and his opposite number went sliding in to make contact with, it's a miracle Fam was even there as our awful style had required him to do most of his work 35 yards out.

Contrast Palace's first two goals which were about strikers working in packs further forward, combining in the box playing just 5 yards off one another and passing back and forth quickly to carve out easy openings, also bringing additional bodies into play in the box via overlap. None of which we did. Famara must have felt sick seeing what being a striker in a proper attack looks like.

To be honest he and Brownhill actually looked like the only ones halfway strong enough to compete with a very good Palace side, but in Fam's case that generally meant having to win the ball miles out and then having to slow it down to find someone like Pack to lay it off to even further out, the only players to ever overlap him were our two full backs and that was way out on either wing.

Yesterday was a fantastic marker as Palace showed us Premier League speed of thought and action and all our players, Diedhiou included, are currently miles off that - a 2017 era Bobby Reid is the closest I've seen us get to it. But you can have all the speed in the world, if you're got no one alongside you up front there is nothing you can do quickly or otherwise, you're feeding off scraps.

p.s. has the striker recruitment now got to a point where LJ is trying to make a point to the club? I can't see any other reason why you'd have no options on the bench bar Ricardo Rees, and play 75 minutes without changing Fam or giving him any support. Even in a friendly it was bizarre. Perhaps LJ is in dispute with the club about completing a deal and was trying to make the case!

9 minutes ago, Olé said:

p.s. has the striker recruitment now got to a point where LJ is trying to make a point to the club? I can't see any other reason why you'd have no options on the bench bar Ricardo Rees, and play 75 minutes without changing Fam or giving him any support. Even in a friendly it was bizarre. Perhaps LJ is in dispute with the club about completing a deal and was trying to make the case!

I wasn't at the match so I can't comment on the game, the goals or the performance but that's a concerning development if the coach was attempting to make a point.

LJ used the word "bold" when talking about his summer transfer plans, and I assumed he had received a vote of confidence to got out and secure a few really significant signings. That hasn't happened even though we have converted two excellent loans into permanent contracts.

But...if we have a coach/manager who has largely proved himself and is then not backed for his transfer targets we're back to Steve Cotterill's summer of 2015.

I hope this isn't the case but if a pedigree striker isn't incoming before the end of the transfer window then the assumption is that our bold summer targets have fallen through.  Even if we start the season well, it's hard to see how we can improve on last year's finish.

Can anyone tell me Why LJ will not substitute Fammy when he's playing useless, I didn't go yesterday,but the comments suggest he was useless, is it in his contract not to sit on the bench or be substituted, I don't know, but for some reason he plays him regardless of form, I think we could have got some thing better for the £5.3m we spent on him, 

There seems to me far too many times when Weimann bends over backwards in order NOT to shoot himself

At least Diedhiou more often than not gets a shot away

Add the fact that the midfield look like they can't shoot to save their lives,  very frustrating watch yesterday

But it was only a friendly, fingers crossed it was just one of those days

For a club trying to be a top Championship side (we must be, otherwise what was the point of keeping Webster and buying Kalas for 8million?), the striking options at the club are embarrassing.

I love Diedhiou, but agree that we almost flog to him death and ask far too much.

But after that we have Weimann, Taylor, Semenyo and Janneh - a man who is a bloody nice chap but not a serious goal threat, a League One player, and then 2 inexperienced academy players.

Perhaps we should have kept Mo Eisa - he had a full season training with us, learning all of our playing styles, and would surely have offered us something else in his 2nd season.

I am genuinely baffled by City's recruitment this summer.

44 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Can anyone tell me Why LJ will not substitute Fammy when he's playing useless, I didn't go yesterday,but the comments suggest he was useless, is it in his contract not to sit on the bench or be substituted, I don't know, but for some reason he plays him regardless of form, I think we could have got some thing better for the £5.3m we spent on him, 

Read Ole's. very pertinent post above - Famara can't do everything on his own.

41 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

He wasn't useless. He missed a couple of chances. So what. You know that will happen with Fam. We all know we need a natural goalscorer, but they're a bit hard to come by if you're playing by FFP rules and want to run a sustainable club.

If I get my time-machine working which player from 2017 should we be signing?

1 hour ago, Redmycolour said:

We lost 0:5 and you’re having a go at the lone striker? What a ?

1 hour ago, Olé said:

The sarcasm is well placed as it does feel these days like people are waiting for a chance to blame Famara for our striking woes, which in my opinion would add insult to injury as the bloke is already being asked to do a thankless task with terrible support, it was 5-0 before Weimann actually played alongside him in the box, prior to that he rarely had a City player within 20 yards of him.

The chance from a yard out was easier to score than miss but the fact is either outcome would have been down to luck as it was simply a ball hammered across the box (the final ball all day lacked quality) which Fam and his opposite number went sliding in to make contact with, it's a miracle Fam was even there as our awful style had required him to do most of his work 35 yards out.

Contrast Palace's first two goals which were about strikers working in packs further forward, combining in the box playing just 5 yards off one another and passing back and forth quickly to carve out easy openings, also bringing additional bodies into play in the box via overlap. None of which we did. Famara must have felt sick seeing what being a striker in a proper attack looks like.

To be honest he and Brownhill actually looked like the only ones halfway strong enough to compete with a very good Palace side, but in Fam's case that generally meant having to win the ball miles out and then having to slow it down to find someone like Pack to lay it off to even further out, the only players to ever overlap him were our two full backs and that was way out on either wing.

Yesterday was a fantastic marker as Palace showed us Premier League speed of thought and action and all our players, Diedhiou included, are currently miles off that - a 2017 era Bobby Reid is the closest I've seen us get to it. But you can have all the speed in the world, if you're got no one alongside you up front there is nothing you can do quickly or otherwise, you're feeding off scraps.

And we all know what happened to the last manager that tried to make a point to the club.

As @Olé has said yes probably easier to miss the chance but I was sat behind the goal yesterday and it wasn’t an easy one. Ok he gets paid to score I get that but hear me out. Ball was driven across the box and possibly a slight deflection. Fam was actually making an effort to get in front of his marker which he did. Being hit so hard he had to stretch for it with the ball not on the ground and he got under it. Haven’t seen it again but was my recollection.

Fam I thought looked outstanding yesterday. He looks much fitter and his touch was generally spot on. Gave away a few passes but seemed to be things he would not try in seasons past. He looks very fresh and I feel like he will have a big season. There were plenty other spectators that could be mentioned yesterday. Fam was, imo, in the top 3-4 performers

I am assuming the OP was subtle sarcasm as some fans are electrically quick to plant the blame on Fam.

In his first season here he struck up a very useful partnership with Bobby Reid. Last season he was used as a lone striker, a role he doesn't seem comfortable in. So to me it's obvious we need a quick, intelligent striker that will bring the best out of Diedhiou.

Fam is, I think, a confidence player and although he'll never be a prolific goal scorer his game will improve without the pressure of being our main goal threat.

Given the poor value of the English transfer market I hope we are looking to bring in a youngish talent from the continent (another French speaker to help him gel with fam?) if we can't get the young Arsenal lad.

5 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

:laugh:. You didn't go but read some comments and came to the conclusion he is not worth what we paid?? Talk about tales from your arse. Try watching the game and then maybe coming up with an opinion of your own. He plays upfront on his own, he was probably one of the best city players on the pitch yesterday. He has a thankless task, we created nothing for him but expect him to notch a trick every match. Don't tell me, Bentley was crap and a waste of money too because he conceded 5 right??

22 minutes ago, collier said:

:laugh:. You didn't go but read some comments and came to the conclusion he is not worth what we paid?? Talk about tales from your arse. Try watching the game and then maybe coming up with an opinion of your own. He plays upfront on his own, he was probably one of the best city players on the pitch yesterday. He has a thankless task, we created nothing for him but expect him to notch a trick every match. Don't tell me, Bentley was crap and a waste of money too because he conceded 5 right??

Borrring ?

40 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Borrring ?

Got you. Your one of those posters who when confronted with actual facts from someone who bothered to go and see the game, your posts descend to what I would expect from a junior school kid. Let me know when you grow up and we can have an adult conversation then thanks!!

49 minutes ago, collier said:

Got you. Your one of those posters who when confronted with actual facts from someone who bothered to go and see the game, your posts descend to what I would expect from a junior school kid. Let me know when you grow up and we can have an adult conversation then thanks!!

For you info, I've got a season tkt, I expect I'm old enough to be your dad, I don't go to friendliness, I just read what offers post regarding the match, don't call me a school kid,and as for Fammy, no I don't rate him, 

1 hour ago, Redmycolour said:

For you info, I've got a season tkt, I expect I'm old enough to be your dad, I don't go to friendliness, I just read what offers post regarding the match, don't call me a school kid,and as for Fammy, no I don't rate him, 

Well done, I have a season ticket too....so what? If your going to try to slate players in a game you didn't even see expect to get called out. If you didn't have anything on the subject to continue the discussion it's usually best to just stay silent. 

11 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

He, LJ, has played a midfielder for a long time who is not worthy of a place! So work that on out.

1 hour ago, Robin1988 said:

You're right, it's not Diedhiou's fault we lost 5-0 yesterday and people do look for any excuse to jump on him.

But it is his fault that according to Opta he had 27 big chances last season and missed 20 of them

Also means he scored about eight difficult ones...

1 hour ago, Superjack said:

Also means he scored about eight difficult ones...

I know you want to defend him and he’s not as bad as some people say but that’s a lot of spin. No striker in a team chasing promotion wants to be scoring 1 in 4 big chances.

Edit: Only just realised that 13-7 is 6 not 8 too

8 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Who are our scapegoats?

Diedhiou?

Pack?

Hunt?

In the Old Testament, God asked Moses and Aaron (Wilbs' great, great x289) to sacrifice two goats, so we need to whittle that list down. I vote Hunt out now and we go with Fam and Pack.

In the Old days, the first goat was butchered and its blood was sprinkled on the Ark of the Covenant; the High Priest/Head Coach then placed his hands upon the head of the second goat and had to confess the sins of the people. The lucky second goat was then spared and released into the wilderness together with its burden of sin (see Mark Little and/or Frankie Fielding), thus being the "scape goat."

I say we bludgeon Marlon now, and flog Fam to Barnsley.

Archived