IGNORED

City twist on split ticket

1960maaan

Just saw this , sounds interesting. A new association for City, be interested to hear when the first one on here try it.

TrainAI - How it works

Let’s say you are making a journey from Station A to Station C and your train stops at Stations A, B and C. It is often cheaper to buy a ticket from Station A to B and also buy another ticket from Station B to C rather than buying one ticket from Station A to C. This is called split ticketing and enables users to save up to 80 per cent on their journeys.

For example an Off-Peak Return ticket from Bristol Temple Meads to Birmingham New Street normally costs £58.70, however by booking with TrainAI the same journey costs £36.90. That’s a 37 per cent saving!

Travel Now Pay Later – How it Works

• Payment due when booking tickets is £0
  • Tickets sent to you before departure date
  • Direct Debit charged 30 days after purchase
  • No interest or additional fees

TrainAI is available on Android and can be downloaded from the Google Play store - http://bit.ly/trainai-bcfc

8 minutes ago, TBW said:

Seems a good idea but I hate being charged things 30 days later. I like to know where my money is at and not potentially forget a payment is coming out. Is there an option to pay immediately?

I`m the same mate but it might help those who might be having an expensive month and can`t afford to go away if they have to pay up front or who make a last minute decision to go to a match just before payday.

20 minutes ago, TBW said:

Seems a good idea but I hate being charged things 30 days later. I like to know where my money is at and not potentially forget a payment is coming out. Is there an option to pay immediately?

I know what you mean, Paypal started doing pay after delivery and it can mess up your sums. 
That said, @Red Right Hand makes a good point, handy if you want to spread the cost of what is a very expensive hobby. 

1 hour ago, cidered abroad said:

My wife travelled Weston SM to Manchester yesterday with an open return for one month. Booked via National Rail.

Just fed the same journey for next Saturday into this app. It's a few pence cheaper on National Rail!

It may depend on if you state Advance or Flexible.

If  you go to the ticket office, and ask for the cheapest fare rather than just requesting a return  then they will usually work it out for you. 

Also  don’t forget for home games if 3 or 4 people are travelling together (0r combination thereof) on the train make use of  Groupsave eg Bristol Parkway to Parson Street is £4.70 return  but only £3.10 each if 3 or 4 are travelling.

even better value on bus £4.50 for a first day, but up to 5 people can travel on a group ticket for £9 = £1.80 each return

27 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

If  you go to the ticket office, and ask for the cheapest fare rather than just requesting a return  then they will usually work it out for you. 

In Germany for sure. Over here they wouldn't have a Scooby-Doo.

Note the official line from operating companies is not to endorse or promote split ticketing - it's lawful if not legal (most don't understand the subtle diffrence) as one is supposed to at point of travel have purchased a ticket to one's intended destination. 

Don't get NTTDS started but take care if any of the change points involve 'set down' or 'pick up' only - those odd caveats on some timetables that could mean the follow on ticket isn't valid.

58 minutes ago, BTRFTG said:

In Germany for sure. Over here they wouldn't have a Scooby-Doo.

Note the official line from operating companies is not to endorse or promote split ticketing - it's lawful if not legal (most don't understand the subtle diffrence) as one is supposed to at point of travel have purchased a ticket to one's intended destination. 

Don't get NTTDS started but take care if any of the change points involve 'set down' or 'pick up' only - those odd caveats on some timetables that could mean the follow on ticket isn't valid.

I’ve often found that the staff at TM ticket office haven’t a clue and i’ve ended up telling them how split ticketing works

Can't see it being any benefit,no objection to the club getting any money up front.

Looks like you have to book up in advance as well

Personally I would prefer to turn up on the day and do all the split tickets at the same time.

Like Phantom has said group save is available on first group trains only for the trips to Brentford Millwall Charlton Fulham not forgetting Reading as well as Swansea. NOT CROSS COUNTRY

Just make sure if you are setting out from Bristol Temple Meads that you get your tickets issued from Parson Street.

If any one is hell bent on going to Birmingham City on Saturday week by train split tickets are available

Parson Street to Cheltenham

and Cheltenham to Bordesley

arrive Birmingham New street out the main entrance head towards Birmingham Moor Street and catch the train to the first stop Bordesley and then up the hill

Bordesley train station is only used when  Birmingham City are at home,so the station is not  shown up on the National timetable

2 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Had to make a business trip last week. Looking on line it started out at nearly eighty quid return. I went for split ticketing and got it down to £55. I went to the station to buy the tickets and the clerk said "Hang on a minute" and delved deeper into ticketing and he reduced my fare to just £35.00. My boss was impressed; so much cheaper than paying mileage rates for someone using their own car.

4 hours ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Also  don’t forget for home games if 3 or 4 people are travelling together (0r combination thereof) on the train  make use of groupsave eg Bristol Parkway to Parson Street is £4.70 return  but only £3.10 each if 3 or 4 are travelling.

even better value on bus £4.50 for a first day, but up to 5 people can travel on a group ticket for £9 = £1.80 each return

Not available on CrossCountry, which are the trains coming from Birmingham and the north

When I first saw it I thought it was some special deal City had negotiated for us fans, it's just promoting something already available to anyone.

I've always thought there should be a football fan weekend railcard,  please make it happen @Never to the dark side

I'm not Young, not Senior, not disabled, not in the forces,, don't travel regularly with the same person, so I'm railcard-less! 

3 hours ago, Unan said:

Why not build a quick react native app for ios too? Waste of money advertising surely, they could double their targdh market nearly 

Apple have a 22% market share....so to claim they could double their potential market for this app is a bit of a stretch.  An iOS version will no doubt follow, but why cater to the few when you can cater to the many instead?

2 minutes ago, Steve Watts said:

Apple have a 22% market share....so to claim they could double their potential market for this app is a bit of a stretch.  An iOS version will no doubt follow, but why cater to the few when you can cater to the many instead?

Not sure of stats exactly but remove old people and it's a lot closer.

I didn't mean ios only, why not make both?  They've spent, probably, hundreds of thousands on marketing.

If they spent 30k on making an ios app that's roughly an extra 30% of the audience they're reaching that would become their target market. 

Rather than spending 100k on advertising and reaching 100,000 potential customers they'd now reach 130,000 potential customers.

Just a theory but I'd be surprised if the cost of making a ios version would be significant in comparison to the extra % potential customers.

Archived