IGNORED

interview with Lee Johnson on radio Bristol

SUMMARY.

"You would not believe how busy I am at this time of the season. it is Championship Manager in real life. My recruitment team are all working like Trojans. I took a call from an agent at 11.37 at night, and my wife elbowed me. But I am enjoying it."  

AMERICA. Enjoyed it and there was good team bonding there. At dinner, LJ took a seat where he could see all the group, and was studying personalities and seeing how all the players were interacting. He did not want cliques forming, and wanted the whole group to be interacting with each other. 

KALAS AND JDS. Said that it was proof that BCFC are doing the right things that Kalas and JDS wanted to come back, because they both had lots of offers from other clubs. Said it was great to have them both back. When signing JDS, he said that Chelsea were sheer class, and that if you look at the prices of England U21 internationals we have got a great deal, not just from the point of view of selling on, but for us now. LJ enjoys working with JDS, says he is a lovely lad, though he wants to add an edge to his game, the ability to put in a hard tackle that will make the winger frightened of taking a bad touch for the rest of the game. Says JDS is so chilled he is horizontal, which is his strength, because he is never flustered when he is on the ball, but he needs to add an edge. LJ played with a young Ashley Cole in the Arsenal youth team, and says JDS reminds him of him, if he can add an edge to his game. 

TOMMY ROWE.  Not a sexy signing, but he is versatile and tough.

SAMMY SZMODICS  - LJ said he tried not to sign him, but all the reports and scouts came back to him with the name over and over again, and he was perfect for the position.  When LJ spoke to SS for the first time, SS knew more about the Lee Johnson way of playing than Lee Johnson did!!! He is also a good student and full of enthusiasm.  LJ warned that he may not hit the ground running, but will come good in time. (implication - he may not feature in the first eleven at the start of the season)

GOALKEEPERS. It was hard not to give Frank Fielding a contract, because there is an emotional attachment there. Maenpaa and Bentley will fight it out for the first team. He still rates Max O'Leary and Jojo Wollacott very highly, and this time next year he thinks the club will have an abundance of goalkeeping options.Rene Gilmartin is a good back up and a top coach for the future. He is a good character for the dressing room, like Aaron Wilbraham. Said signing RG was a stroke of genius. 

SIGNING STRIKERS LJ says we either need to make a big signing or a brave decision, like promoting a youngster. We won't sign a player if it is the wrong thing for the football club. We have four or five options for that area.  It is also important not to block the pathway for the youngsters and kill their minutes. If we do not make a big signing then the young boys Semenyo and Jannah, who have done extremely well, have to step up. "We genuinely believe in these boys."

(observation - Matty Taylor's name was not mentioned once amidst all the talk of strikers - are his days numbered?)

ANTOINE SEMENYO. He still has a lot to learn, but has the raw attributes for the top level. I am really looking forward to coaching him, because he is a good student. Like any young lad he needs to understand his body and his pain barrier. He makes naive decisions in games, like losing runners (v Leeds), or getting sent off (v Derby) but that's going to happen. But if we don't loan him out we have allow these young players to make these mistakes and the coaches like myself must not chastise them. We must encourage them and believe in them.

OTHER SIGNINGS   The club is very active at the moment trying to sign more players. We have to find better players than what we have got, which is expensive, and such players have options to go to other clubs. "We have to seduce them to sign for us with the football that we play."

WHY DID WE NOT SCORE MORE GOALS LAST SEASON. We made the chances, but didn't convert enough of them. We also need to sign players who can assist others, not just score.

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET INTO THE TOP 6?. Players have to show better tactical awareness. They must solve their own problems during a match, and the likes of Brownhill must step up and score more. Players have to find a way to win. Nicolas Eliason is also ready for a big season.  We have a lot of players coming into their prime, physically tactically, technically, but most importantly mentally. There is a high expectation on us, coming from ourselves, and from outside.

LJ is always trying to hone his own leadership skills, how you talk to the board, fans, players. Can't promise promotion but promises blood, tears, effort and the willingness to die in a ditch for it.

THE CHAMPIONSHIP THIS SEASON? LJ reckons there are 18 clubs that could get promoted. If you look at social media, every club believes it could be their year. We are in the mix. The City fans believe we can do it, but we need to take it to another level. There are some brilliant teams in the Championship. The 3 relegated clubs are in a position of strength. Brentford have made some good signings. Preston are strong, with a very good first eleven, but without the squad depth. Sheffield Wednesday have quality, and also have their injured players coming back. Reading are an interesting side. Forest have made some good signings. All clubs need squad depth and luck with injuries.

LEEDS. Would prefer it on Friday night or Saturday 3pm. It will have a Cup Final type feel. There is a buzz around our club, and hope, and the fans want the season to start. LJ respects Bielsa but is not in awe of him. Leeds are versatile, can change tactics quickly, are always finding overloads and the spare man, and are good at disrupting the opposition. LJ forgot that he had beaten Leeds, and Geoff had to remind him that he had, in Sept 2016 with a Marlon Pack goal. 

LJ'S DESK. On it is a sign that says 138 POINTS TO PLAY FOR. This keeps LJ's spirits up after a defeat, because in the Championship you can win ten on the spin. 

PRE-SEASON Players love it, and are happy, because no-one is being left out of the team at the moment, but LJ just wants the season to start now. 

GEOFF TWENTYMAN has an ambition to present Radio Bristol Saturday Sport when BCFC are in the Premier League. LJ assured him he would try his best and would mention it to the players. 

28 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

WHAT DO WE HAVE TO DO TO GET INTO THE TOP 6?. Players have to show better tactical awareness. They must solve their own problems during a match, and the likes of Brownhill must step up and score more. Players have to find a way to win. Nicolas Eliason is also ready for a big season.  We have a lot of players coming into their prime, physically tactically, technically, but most importantly mentally. There is a high expectation on us, coming from ourselves, and from outside.

This sums it up perfectly in my opinion. In particular the part in bold. 

56 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Players have to show better tactical awareness. They must solve their own problems during a match

30 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This sums it up perfectly in my opinion. In particular the part in bold. 

This is what SO'D was trying to do, develop players that were more than over coached,  programmed robots. It got worse before it got .... well, it never did get better under him, poor SO'D (notwithstanding a fine 2:2 draw at home to, er, Leyton Orient).

Just listening to MA discuss selling Reid and Bryan - saying we were under no pressure to sell them, but in last year of contract off the back of great season and they wanted to go.  I think the £25m loss might’ve had something to do with it ?

Archived