IGNORED

what was the thinking behind squad selection versus palace?

dunsteral

We all know that we are desperately short of fire power, so i dont understand lj's thinking on saturday.

Famara is a pussycat up front, there were a couple of balls played in to the box where he was just

static waiting for the ball to come to him rather than putting himself about in a determined effort to get 

there first, one of them went straight to the keeper and he never even challenged.

What i couldn,t understand was the only challengers we have got for the position of goalscorer (at the moment)

are Matty Taylor and Antoine Semenyo and neither of them were even on the bench (supposedly they were involved

in an under 23 game somewhere else, which i have seen no report of.

I think the feeling is that they would be better getting 90 minutes of action rather than coming off the bench, but

why play another game on the same day.  Did Lee sacrifice the result against Palace rather than have all his players

available.  And whats more where do we go from here unless something happens on the transfer front before Sunday.

3 minutes ago, dunsteral said:

We all know that we are desperately short of fire power, so i dont understand lj's thinking on saturday.

Famara is a pussycat up front, there were a couple of balls played in to the box where he was just

static waiting for the ball to come to him rather than putting himself about in a determined effort to get 

there first, one of them went straight to the keeper and he never even challenged.

What i couldn,t understand was the only challengers we have got for the position of goalscorer (at the moment)

are Matty Taylor and Antoine Semenyo and neither of them were even on the bench (supposedly they were involved

in an under 23 game somewhere else, which i have seen no report of.

I think the feeling is that they would be better getting 90 minutes of action rather than coming off the bench, but

why play another game on the same day.  Did Lee sacrifice the result against Palace rather than have all his players

available.  And whats more where do we go from here unless something happens on the transfer front before Sunday.

Last season, in our last pre season friendly vs Bournemouth Johnson pretty much chose the same side that started vs Forest. O'Dowda came in for Taylor as the only outfield change, but other than that it was the same. 

Semenyo is banned for the first game, so if Johnson was hoping to get a bit of continuity going early, he wouldn't have put him in. 

Taylor I reckon we're looking to offload, he's not featured much pre season with the first team has he? Tends to have been played with the kids. Perhaps now Janneh is injured, he becomes Johnsons 3rd striker again. 

2 hours ago, Chappers said:

Who cares? Pre-season friendly, the real stuff starts on Sunday and I’m sure Lee has his plan.

It’s all very well saying who cares but actually most of us who were there do.

Not necessarily expecting a win but expecting a performance at this stage of the preseason that gives us hope we can compete effectively.

When its been billed as a pre season showcase (remember the pre match hype from our PR team) and a big crowd come and watch,I cannot believe the players will try less hard, they must want to cement their place in the starting line up.

This is the real concern and why I do care.

Archived