IGNORED

Loan Watch 2019/20 season

Carey 6

12 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

He needs a real chance to play here. If it were up to me he’d have stayed here this season and COD would not have gotten a new deal. Seems like JS has embraced being the main man and I think that shows good maturity and drive. 

Well....fortunately Joe- it wasn't up to you! The development of JS is steady and incremental and this season at Oldham is guaranteed to do wonders for him. He would not have gained enough experience having previously only had one full season playing League football at Tranmere to have had much chance here this season.

His time is coming. I hope it's with BCFC.

1 hour ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Well....fortunately Joe- it wasn't up to you! The development of JS is steady and incremental and this season at Oldham is guaranteed to do wonders for him. He would not have gained enough experience having previously only had one full season playing League football at Tranmere to have had much chance here this season.

There are players all over the championship that were not babied by loan after loan. JS has produced in all his loans from memory. Clearly got something about him. Imo he doesn’t need a loan in L1 either. He needs trust, better coaching and some minutes at this stage. He will be 23 in the summer time to treat him as a professional rather than a kid still learning his trade. 

Plus isn’t as if I am saying he is ready for 46 league starts. I am saying he’d be a better attacking option off the bench than COD. He’d be good enough to get the odd start. Plus, he will be on much less money than COD and Watkins. Players like JS need more opportunity here not keep being shunned off on loan

1 minute ago, JoeAman08 said:

There are players all over the championship that were not babied by loan after loan. JS has produced in all his loans from memory. Clearly got something about him. Imo he doesn’t need a loan in L1 either. He needs trust, better coaching and some minutes at this stage. He will be 23 in the summer time to treat him as a professional rather than a kid still learning his trade. 

Plus isn’t as if I am saying he is ready for 46 league starts. I am saying he’d be a better attacking option off the bench than COD. He’d be good enough to get the odd start. Plus, he will be on much less money than COD and Watkins. Players like JS need more opportunity here not keep being shunned off on loan

I think next season he will be back with us and hopefully an important part of the squad - particularly if COD and Niclas end up moving on.

16 hours ago, Garycpos said:

Another Goal !! & Assist for Jonny Smith in the 5-0 win against Newport today....?

11 Goals now, Club Top Scorer & 7 Assists ..... for a Winger !!! ..... ?

Gary.  Honest assessment required here as I only see his goals and assists.  What’s his “without the ball” like?  In your opinion, with a good pre-season behind him, fully integrated with the first team (whoever is head-coach), could be make the impact we need both with the ball, but also shape, work-rate, positionally intelligence, etc?

Totally understand if you don’t want to answer that.

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

⏬

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

My “Player Develoment” thread touched on whether we give them one loan too many.  Looks like Jonny is at the point we need him to be, and it then becomes a decision as to whether it’s here or give him that opportunity elsewhere.

1 hour ago, JoeAman08 said:

IMO, to be top scorer with 6 assists at an Oldham club that is facing administration is better experience, maturity and confidence than another season in the U23's with a rare first team cameo could ever do. As far as coaching goes surely his record this season suggests that the coaching at Oldham is of benefit?

He'll now have done 2 seasons at L2 level and one would hope he's done/ shown  enough to start knocking at the door of our first team otherwise there will be plenty of clubs knocking at his. 

3 hours ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

IMO, to be top scorer with 6 assists at an Oldham club that is facing administration is better experience, maturity and confidence than another season in the U23's with a rare first team cameo could ever do. As far as coaching goes surely his record this season suggests that the coaching at Oldham is of benefit?

He'll now have done 2 seasons at L2 level and one would hope he's done/ shown  enough to start knocking at the door of our first team otherwise there will be plenty of clubs knocking at his. 

Not saying this loan won’t be beneficial. I have said I like the idea of him taking the responsibility of being a main source of goals for a team. Shows food maturity I think. 

My point is more we are quite wasteful with wages and players like JS could ease that by being given chances and used from the bench. Not like our wide players outside of Eliasson are stellar. Also, he hasn’t been treated that great imo. Why he wasn’t taken on the summer trip I will never know. He came with a fair bit of promise. Has been out on loan miles away from here every season meanwhile players like Hinds, Semenyo and Bakinson have gotten first team chances in the same time. JS is the only one to consistently have good loans out of those. 

Idk if he will be champ standard along with many out on loan. What I do know is we don’t give many/any a fair chance to show us. An example I can think of off the top of my head is Conor Chaplin at Barnsley. Was a good prospect in L1. Then Barnsley bought him in the summer and he has 10 goals and 4 assists in his first championship season which is better than his return in L1. He got a chance and plays with better players. Need to reward these good loans with minutes at our level imo

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

Gary.  Honest assessment required here as I only see his goals and assists.  What’s his “without the ball” like?  In your opinion, with a good pre-season behind him, fully integrated with the first team (whoever is head-coach), could be make the impact we need both with the ball, but also shape, work-rate, positionally intelligence, etc?

Totally understand if you don’t want to answer that.

He is a sponge, and intelligent,  he is a very quick learner in adapting. If you look at his movement off the ball over the last 8 months it has changed dramatically.  Yesterday for instance on the goal if you see he starts behind George Nurse then makes the run into the channel , that would not have happened in that fashion 2yrs ago as he knows what the players around him are going to do which is very difficult in a loan move, he also scored with his right foot when the defence was expecting him to shift it onto his left hence why some posters on twitter asked what the defender was doing as he was expecting him to cut to the left.

Jonny was always a late developer right through his career being a late birthday virtually August so I do expect him to continue to improve a lot over the next few years, but you know that working with higher league players hones the skill set further, and to be fair to him he did not look out of place in pre-season last year with the first team and was absolutely devastated he never made the trip with the team.

I think he has different qualities to both COD  and Eliasson which I would not have said 8 months ago thinking they would be in the same space.

Working with LJ  and all the high quality coaching staff plus all the great players in this squad can only improve a players ability, so I would relish the in/out over next season to see a stepped impact for him, I dont believe he would look out of his depth at all.

I do expect him to finish in the top 10 scorers in L2 this year and for a winger not a striker that is proving his point not only to himself but to everyone else. Personally I would love to see him score a goal at Ashton Gate that's when i would say " Well Done Kid , Your here !!"

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

It would make a bit of a mockery of the pathway if we have loanees hitting double figures at league level and not being given a chance.

We are not short of mockerys at this club ;

Moore loaned out to Blackpool , Palmer being paid a fortune to watch the first team play, Finally a Championship proven marksman arrives and can’t get a start ...

the list is long and depressing.

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

The best quote is by the EP  "McFadzean has had a stellar career in the Football League"

Bloody hell- how did I miss that? Maybe I was on holiday that week.

43 minutes ago, mozo said:

Sounds like an assist for Walsh already 

Yep. O'Leary currently winning the battle with Matt Taylor as well. ALso missed that Rory Holden has scored for Walsall, his season seems to be getting better, which is what we want really.

20 hours ago, mozo said:

Sounds like an assist for Walsh already 

I wonder if Johnson will be asking his mate Cole Skuse what he thought of Walsh? He seems to value his opinion and having played against him yesterday would give him a unique perspective that a normal scout wouldn’t get. 

55 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Cheers Fevs. He says all the right things there. Let's hope he is absorbing all these lessons and come out the other end a well rounded player, as well as an exciting one.

Archived