IGNORED

Mark Ashton - Proven 9 is vital before transfer window shuts

Jasper Testimitanu

I honestly don't think there is a great deal of realistic targets available.

Will be interesting to see who we have lined up and the money we are considering to throw at a player. If it wasn't for his age i'd love us to be in for Billy Sharp . 

9 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

For me a "proven" striker is someone who has proved themselves consistently at this or the level above. 

Now, MA is an intelligent man and picks his words wisely.  For him to actively say proven, I would like to think that they are looking at someone pretty decent ie Vydra, Rhodes, Sharpe (as an example) etc. 

Also, the word proven would rule out NE as he is anything but proven at any level.  He has potential, but he isn't a proven striker.  

This is making my head hurt!!   

I’m not so sure 

I have a feeling that he’s regretting using the word ‘Proven’

Put themselves under pressure 

11 minutes ago, Badger08 said:

For me a "proven" striker is someone who has proved themselves consistently at this or the level above. 

Now, MA is an intelligent man and picks his words wisely.  For him to actively say proven, I would like to think that they are looking at someone pretty decent ie Vydra, Rhodes, Sharpe (as an example) etc. 

Also, the word proven would rule out NE as he is anything but proven at any level.  He has potential, but he isn't a proven striker.  

This is making my head hurt!!   

Tammy Abraham was equally unproven at this level, but the club's judgement/assessment of his ability was well founded.

If LJ and the club's scouts have made a similar assessment of NE and judge him to be capable then that would be fine by me, and his involvement with Arsenal's first team seems to indicate he is highly thought of by Arsenal. If anything, it seems as if his standing at Arsenal has risen during the summer and this could see him stay there.

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Also, the word proven would rule out NE as he is anything but proven at any level. 

11 minutes ago, downendcity said:

If LJ and the club's scouts have made a similar assessment of NE and judge him to be capable then that would be fine by me, and his involvement with Arsenal's first team seems to indicate he is highly thought of by Arsenal.

It's going to become even more confusing on OTIB if we start to quote surnames before given names when posting players initials! Or are you both referring to Nic Eliasson? ;)

18 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m not so sure 

I have a feeling that he’s regretting using the word ‘Proven’

Put themselves under pressure 

I understand what you mean, but MA is smarter than letting something slip accidentally surely? He would have chosen his words carefully or else he leaves himself wide open to the wrath of fury from fans if he now doesn’t deliver. Fans will have a stick to beat him with at every opportunity if this player doesn’t materialise, and they will. And he knows so.

No way would he throw himself under the bus like this.

26 minutes ago, GBray said:

I honestly don't think there is a great deal of realistic targets available.

Will be interesting to see who we have lined up and the money we are considering to throw at a player. If it wasn't for his age i'd love us to be in for Billy Sharp . 

Is it possible we're all looking in the wrong places?

Most of the speculation is around players already playing in this country, but I was intrigued by the recent addition to the backroom staff of Kalifa Cisse. There was a thread going on this for a short while, I believe, but people seem to have lost interest in that. I still think it may give a clue as to our ongoing transfer activity. I may have remembered it wrongly, but I think the announcement said he'd been brought initially in on a short term contract to do some coaching, with the reference to recruitment being thrown in almost as an afterthought. This seems strange to me. If you are adding someone to your coaching team because you think they have something of value to offer in that field, how often do clubs give such a person just a short term deal? Doesn't quite add up to me.

I am rather inclined to think that it is his experience of football elsewhere in Europe that is of interest to us, added to his multi-lingual skills. The latter could make him very useful in helping in negotiations with players and agents whose first language is not English - for a short time (hence the contract?). It would also be an asset in helping players to make the transition to England, settle in, communicate with coaches and team mates until greater proficiency in the language has been acquired, and so on (which is something we may have lacked in the past).

All of which makes me wonder if we're shopping abroad and all the speculation about English-based players is wide of the mark. I know there is an awareness on OTIB of LJ's trips to Portugal and elsewhere, but relatively little mention has been made of it lately. Mark Ashton's comment about a "proven 9" might also make sense in this context, as the target most highlighted over the summer has arguably been Nketiah, who - exciting prospect as he might be - certainly does not fit this description, while those who do are mostly unlikely, underwhelming, overpaid, over-priced and under-performing - or all of the above. 

My money is on a foreign player who nobody saw coming and none of us have ever heard of. It's been known...

10 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

It's going to become even more confusing on OTIB if we start to quote surnames before given names when posting players initials! Or are you both referring to Nic Eliasson? ;)

No,  I was referring to your cousin Nigel Everard.

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I understand what you mean, but MA is smarter than letting something slip accidentally surely? He would have chosen his words carefully or else he leaves himself wide open to the wrath of fury from fans if he now doesn’t deliver. Fans will have a stick to beat him with at every opportunity if this player doesn’t materialise, and they will. And he knows so.

I’m also clinging to this shred of hope! A proven - at this level - striker would really give everyone a big lift I feel. 

8 minutes ago, RedM said:

Not so sure M !

he will have had numerous numerous conversations internally in last few months talking about a ‘Proven Striker’

Easy to begin to sub consciously associate the two words and use them when thrown on the spot ,

he wasn’t particularly prepared for the COD question , which surprised me , especially as GT had said he was going to ask about COD

2 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not so sure M !

he will have had numerous numerous conversations internally in last few months talking about a ‘Proven Striker’

Easy to begin to sub consciously associate the two words and use them when thrown on the spot ,

he wasn’t particularly prepared for the COD question , which surprised me , especially as GT had said he was going to ask about COD

That’s fair comment, and I haven’t listened to the interview just saw the twitter content posted on here. MA is usually super smooth though, that’s what made me think he would be prepared and only give what info he was confident with.

Regarding Cisse who is mentioned above. Yes I can see a player from Europe or Africa brought in as he have before and being settled in my Cisse who has suddenly appeared and given a role. But the use of the term ‘proven’ surely wouldn’t apply here? Yes the player may play at the no 9 position, but I am taking ‘proven’ to mean with Championship or above experience too.

I don’t keep tabs on League One very much, what about someone who scored a lot of goals but narrowly missed out on promotion, or have these players been snapped up already? Or perhaps someone from one of the relegated teams? 

4 minutes ago, RedM said:

I think that we all need to cut MA and LJ some slack. Over the summer, LJ has been widely taken to task over his use of the word 'bold'; now, it's what does MA mean by 'proven'? It's getting like the bleeding Da Vinci Code on here with everyone trying to solve riddles!

I appreciate that regarding transfer dealings, our club (quite rightly) operate an information blackout and the resulting information vacuum encourages everyone to  analyse the arse off of ever single word MA/LJ utter to derive hidden meaning. If this results in us metaphorically beating up our club officials then it could result in even fewer briefings from them containing even less substance. From time to time, we all say things which could be interpreted differently by the listener - but most of us don't have to do it to twenty thousand people, in front of a camera and a journalist!

IMO there are no riddles, we're just looking to make decent signings. Anyway we've not too long to wait to find out!

1 minute ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

I think that we all need to cut MA and LJ some slack. Over the summer, LJ has been widely taken to task over his use of the word 'bold'; now, it's what does MA mean by 'proven'? It's getting like the bleeding Da Vinci Code on here with everyone trying to solve riddles!

I appreciate that regarding transfer dealings, our club (quite rightly) operate an information blackout and the resulting information vacuum encourages everyone to  analyse the arse off of ever single word MA/LJ utter to derive hidden meaning. If this results in us metaphorically beating up our club officials then it could result in even fewer briefings from them containing even less substance. From time to time, we all say things which could be interpreted differently by the listener - but most of us don't have to do it to twenty thousand people, in front of a camera and a journalist!

IMO there are no riddles, we're just looking to make decent signings. Anyway we've not too long to wait to find out!

You are right of course, and a spoilsport too! ?

Cardiff City poised to sign German striker Robert Glatzel from Bundesliga Two club Heidenheim.

The 25-year-old is due  a medical to conclude a deal worth £5.5m.

Glatzel,  6ft 4ins, scored a hat-trick for Heidenheim in their 5-4 German Cup defeat against Bayern Munich, in April and scored a Hat Trick against Middlesbro last night.

The players are there, are we looking in the right places?

The player was manager Neil Warnock's number one summer target, and could be followed by another striker. Who was also his number one target

6 minutes ago, Red Dread said:

Cardiff City poised to sign German striker Robert Glatzel from Bundesliga Two club Heidenheim.

The 25-year-old is due  a medical to conclude a deal worth £5.5m.

Glatzel,  6ft 4ins, scored a hat-trick for Heidenheim in their 5-4 German Cup defeat against Bayern Munich, in April and scored a Hat Trick against Middlesbro last night.

The players are there, are we looking in the right places?

The player was manager Neil Warnock's number one summer target, and could be followed by another striker. Who was also his number one target

Had we been signing Glatzel, for that fee from Bundesliga 2, what are the odds the reaction would have been along the lines "but he's not the proven championship goalscorer we were promised"?

1 minute ago, downendcity said:

Had we been signing Glatzel, for that fee from Bundesliga 2, what are the odds the reaction would have been along the lines "but he's not the proven championship goalscorer we were promised"?

There are videos of his skills on youtube. He seems to have no difficulty in getting around a goalkeeper or using his head. The fee is substantially less than one would expect to pay for a proven player and was effectively paid for by the unexpected sale of Zohore.

• Admin
27 minutes ago, RedM said:

You are right of course, and a spoilsport too! ?

30 minutes ago, Rudolf Hucker said:

From time to time, we all say things which could be interpreted differently by the listener - but most of us don't have to do it to twenty thousand people, in front of a camera and a journalist!

I do agree, but would also add this is a highly qualified and intelligent professional that is experienced in this field

I would expect him not to use loose phrases that could be misconstrued that could bite him on the arse

13 minutes ago, downendcity said:

Bundesliga II is the closest equivalent in Europe's 2nd tiers stylistically and maybe standard wise to this level- could be a useful signing. Plus the higher loss limits from a season of PL and of course parachute payments.

He had a good record in 2018/19 by the looks, but before that? Not so much. Unsure I'd be too happy but if last season his breakout he could link up well.

32 minutes ago, phantom said:

I do agree, but would also add this is a highly qualified and intelligent professional that is experienced in this field

I would expect him not to use loose phrases that could be misconstrued that could bite him on the arse

The same could be said of Boris! Still doesn’t stop him having his arse bitten. Probably. 

57 minutes ago, Red Dread said:

There are videos of his skills on youtube. He seems to have no difficulty in getting around a goalkeeper or using his head. The fee is substantially less than one would expect to pay for a proven player and was effectively paid for by the unexpected sale of Zohore.

Don't disagree RD.

Unfortunately there seem to be quite a few fans who think that we need to sign a proven 20 goal a season striker proven in the championship. They ignore the  fact that such a player is likely to be moving to the prem for £20m( Maupey)!

Archived