IGNORED

Managing to hold onto players

Lrrr

While some may be disappointed we've not added more players, perhaps some of our best business is not losing more, this is a quote from LJ while talking about Webster

I'm not going to lie, we've had bids on about 10 of our players, whether they be coming through the academy, or top-end and the first-team starters

4 minutes ago, Hampshire reds said:

it would be great to hold on to all our best players. but if the prem come knocking its hard to stop it happening. as long as the money is invested wisely we can become a better team and club. what a great job mark ashton is doing. 

Im pretty sure if lansdown says sell, then ashton sells. Having a billionaire saying yes or no to things makes your job a lot simpler. 

26 minutes ago, Simon bristol said:

Im pretty sure if lansdown says sell, then ashton sells. Having a billionaire saying yes or no to things makes your job a lot simpler. 

But that’s the thing that has been said by a lot of previous managers / head coaches that have worked under Lansdown, they are backed & supported in what they have been wanting to do!

I have never heard of their being a particularly value being put on what our budget has been but I have heard numerous times it mentioned that if there is a particular target that the manager / head coach had in mind, they could go to Lansdown & all I’ve ever heard is that he has backed them! I’ve never heard any of them say that they’ve been refused a particular target they wanted.

And I’m sure things could be a hell of a lot worse if we didn’t have Lansdown in charge!

1 minute ago, Tipps69 said:

But that’s the thing that has been said by a lot of previous managers / head coaches that have worked under Lansdown, they are backed & supported in what they have been wanting to do!

I have never heard of their being a particularly value being put on what our budget has been but I have heard numerous times it mentioned that if there is a particular target that the manager / head coach had in mind, they could go to Lansdown & all I’ve ever heard is that he has backed them! I’ve never heard any of them say that they’ve been refused a particular target they wanted.

And I’m sure things could be a hell of a lot worse if we didn’t have Lansdown in charge!

Apart from Cotts of course (allegedly !)

it looks increasingly likely that Webster will be leaving.  

nothing is impossible in football, by August 8, we could see a couple more leave and a couple more come in.

the side a week on saturday could have 3 changes from the week before, purely because of outgoings and incomings.

If LJ & MA have identified other players that we can replace our outgoing players with and make money on then I'm all for it.

The world was going to end this time last year on the departure of Aden Flint.  He was replaced for half price by the looks of it, that player is about to be sold for a deal thought to be around £25m.

Great trading by all involved.  Long may it continue.

3 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Are we able to hold onto an Academy lad if they want to leave ?

We have had a few taken in recent years i'm sure we'd have liked to retain.

We had a few (Kane, Mattox) go about four/five years ago, I believe, but I haven't heard of any more since. (Apologies if name spelt incorrectly and if I've missed any other leavers to top six Prem Academies)

Once the Academy player has signed a pro contract, it's the same rules as any other member of the playing staff.

As for the wider  comments on this thread about our players leaving for higher clubs and at good money. I believe that to keep all the players for lengthy periods is not a good thing and I believe that the best example of this the AD side of the seventies. Those boys who came through the youth system or arrived at very young ages, needed to be challenged for their places more than many were. Thus, while they were all pretty good in their own right, a certain amount of tactical stagnation occurred toward the last year in Division One and ultimately was one of the factors that led to the downfall. Refreshing and improving the playing staff as a whole, is necessary for progression. 

I don't want to see Webster go because he is one of the best centre backs I have seen in my time supporting City, and there are a lot who stand out from the past. But to use the money sensibly to bring in three or four good quality in various positions, will make us stronger, more consistent and should lead us to where we have not trodden for four decades. Add to the new recruits from outside, those young pros like Bakinson, Semenyo, Vyner, Moore, O'Leary, Cundy, Janneh, Edwards (both), Pearson, Rees, Morton, Pring, Jonny Smith and you can see where the club are going.

Not quick enough for the oldies like me, but this is a totally different scenario to any I have seen before. 

11 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I think it’s quite well recognised that we recruit well and develop players well.

There’s a lot of players who are obviously attracting interest and have been for a while.  Brownhill would be a prime example.

If that's true why are Palace for instance in the prem and we are miles behind them after knocking them out of the play offs not so long ago?

1 hour ago, glos old boy said:

If that's true why are Palace for instance in the prem and we are miles behind them after knocking them out of the play offs not so long ago?

We're playing catch up with many clubs. Mistakes will be made along the way.

Let's not forget that this policy only really begun here in 2013/14, that was our "reset" if you like. Crystal Palace's academy was at a strong level well before ours- Clyne, Watson, Moses and Zaha to name 4! Think the first 3 especially in the same team.

Bedore this new philosophy begun we were signing a reasonable number of journeymen, getting fairly moderate amounts for our players and especially our academy ones.

There were Cotterill and Golbourne yes but in terms of extraction of fairly consistent serious value? Or indeed of impressive numbers breaking into first team.

2 hours ago, Clutton Caveman said:

Absolutely fine to sell at the top of the market and strengthen the squad but we cannot replace players of quality and replace them with league 1 or 2 players

That’s exactly what happens.  Maguire goes to Man U, Leicester buy dunk and have to coach him to be as good or as near dam it as maguire  

brighton buy Webster and have to coach him into becoming a good prem defender 

we will buy a defender for 3-5 million and hopefully coach him into a better player 

its the circle of life 

9 hours ago, glos old boy said:

Because not so long ago, about the time we were knocking Palace out of the play offs, we did not recruit well and did not develop players well. As I believe we now, mostly, recognise, quite well.

I guess the only other likely player to have prem interest at this moment is Brownhill. So who knows, maybe we lose our best midfielder too! But once again we would only accept crazy money. And I'm sure there would be a list of quality replacements to go after.

If we don't go up then there are quite a few more who might be getting prem interest by next summer. I never believed we would be self sustainable, but it looks like we already might be. Though I'm nowhere near as knowledgeable as some on here about that sort of thing.

30 minutes ago, Moments of Pleasure said:

Because not so long ago, about the time we were knocking Palace out of the play offs, we did not recruit well and did not develop players well. As I believe we now, mostly, recognise, quite well.

? that really explains how we got to the play off final and have got no-where near since; we can recruit as well as we like but we wont build too much if we continue to sell off our assets; we need to keep our finds, the likes of Kelly/Webster, to make any real progress; Prem clubs are buying these players for a reason.

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

We're playing catch up with many clubs. Mistakes will be made along the way.

Let's not forget that this policy only really begun here in 2013/14, that was our "reset" if you like. Crystal Palace's academy was at a strong level well before ours- Clyne, Watson, Moses and Zaha to name 4! Think the first 3 especially in the same team.

Bedore this new philosophy begun we were signing a reasonable number of journeymen, getting fairly moderate amounts for our players and especially our academy ones.

There were Cotterill and Golbourne yes but in terms of extraction of fairly consistent serious value? Or indeed of impressive numbers breaking into first team.

I understand the plan but continuing to sell some of our best assets will just get us, well not far.

Nothing against Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace etc but what are they doing so right that we are doing so wrong. Our ground is now up to theirs at least, our fans turn up in numbers, we have a not poor backer. Is it really there academy or something else. 

38 minutes ago, glos old boy said:

I understand the plan but continuing to sell some of our best assets will just get us, well not far.

Nothing against Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace etc but what are they doing so right that we are doing so wrong. Our ground is now up to theirs at least, our fans turn up in numbers, we have a not poor backer. Is it really there academy or something else. 

Each case was different- you'd have to look at each case individually as there are similarities but differences with all- I don't have time to get into it all right now but a lot has changed in the general football landscape since 2008 etc.

2 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Each case was different- you'd have to look at each case individually as there are similarities but differences with all- I don't have time to get into it all right now but a lot has changed in the general football landscape since 2008 etc.

Thats just 11 years Mr P. Some of us who have been going down the gate for 60 years plus just dont buy into the modern day parlance we are quoted all the time. We have hungered and I mean hungered for BCFC to be a 'face' in the top league and we briefly were but we have been passed time and time again by the likes that glos old boy mentions. Well remember watching Torquay v Bournemouth years ago in Lge 2 , Brighton as a lower league team and still I await with other coffin dodgers to see our side at the pinnacle before we exit this mortal coil. ??

11 hours ago, hodge said:

Yeah we totally didn't make £9m bids for strikers when the market was a lot less expensive 

Could bid £20m if you don't meet expected wages it means jack doesn't it.

Either way, I said "allegedly" unless you are or were part of the city management team at the time you know no more than I do.

Cotts deserved to be sacked by the way for the manner he conducted himself when he clearly didn't feel he was backed in the transfer market and whether right or wrong, i'd suggest he was a bit closer to it than anyone on this forum.

Archived