IGNORED

Managing to hold onto players

Lrrr

22 minutes ago, oldstandrobin said:

Thats just 11 years Mr P. Some of us who have been going down the gate for 60 years plus just dont buy into the modern day parlance we are quoted all the time. We have hungered and I mean hungered for BCFC to be a 'face' in the top league and we briefly were but we have been passed time and time again by the likes that glos old boy mentions. Well remember watching Torquay v Bournemouth years ago in Lge 2 , Brighton as a lower league team and still I await with other coffin dodgers to see our side at the pinnacle before we exit this mortal coil. ??

Each case was different oldstandrobin, I get that and I do but each case was specific and different. The truth is Brighton's infrastructure was significantly better than us for a few years and their fanbase shot up- from League One at the Withdean in front of 7-7,500 to about 20.1k- that's freakish and exceptional and accelerates them ahead of us or gives them the opportunity to do so which they took! While we were in a steady decline, they had momentum, built on it and seized it. Go and analyse their turnover, their meteoric rise in attendance and you'll see some of your answer- it took us until we in modern terms hit rock bottom (nothing on 1982 of course), before we took a new more progressive path. We were unfortunate too with the new ground being stopped in its tracks, that lost us crucial time and ground on competitors.

In one of their worst seasons since their return to this level they averaged around 25,000- something we've not averaged for a very long time indeed!! Thousands of fans missing since Goldstone 2nd and top tier late 1970s, early 1980s suddenly returned.

Crystal Palace had been in the PL or top flight for 7 seasons between our last stint and our playoff win over them. Had a much stronger academy at that time- possibly bigger attendances and turnover too.

Hull had a better infrastructure than us in 2008.

Burnley seized on momentum and previous years of prudence- Parachute payments set them up to stabilise and rebuild again.

Swansea had a ground with more revenue than us between Liberty and AG redevelopment. Plus more importantly, a very distinct philosophy with managers to fit and to progress them/bring something new to the table- they had a plan and clearly stuck to it. A clear and distinct identity.

Bournemouth took advantage of some lax FFP regs and hit upon a Russian owner, with no risk of points deductions undoing them- they took advantage of an opportunity of some new regs in a fairly nascent stage. Eddie Howe also worked wonders.

Watford had their cosy arrangement with Udinese and to an extent Granda.

Shall I go on?

Each case was distinct and different but most of these were better placed than us to take advantage of the chances when they came or in one case, aTop 2 divisions yoyoing background- Crystal Palace to a point. Burnley are the only ones closest to us in comparison maybe- the first time, 2008-09.

Would you like a few more examples? I can't be quick about it, but name the team and I'll delve into it.

One big what if, when FFP never existed, is if we had gone and spent £15-20m or rather SL had in January 2008- that would have had very interesting repercussions moving forward!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Each case was different oldstandrobin, I get that and I do but each case was specific and different. The truth is Brighton's infrastructure was significantly better than us for a few years and their fanbase shot up- from League One at the Withdean in front of 7-7,500 to about 20.1k- that's freakish and exceptional and accelerates them ahead of us or gives them the opportunity to do so which they took! While we were in a steady decline, they had momentum, built on it and seized it. Go and analyse their turnover, their meteoric rise in attendance and you'll see some of your answer- it took us until we in modern terms hit rock bottom (nothing on 1982 of course), before we took a new more progressive path. We were unfortunate too with the new ground being stopped in its tracks, that lost us crucial time and ground on competitors.

In one of their worst seasons since their return to this level they averaged around 25,000- something we've not averaged for a very long time indeed!! Thousands of fans missing since Goldstone 2nd and top tier late 1970s, early 1980s suddenly returned.

Crystal Palace had been in the PL or top flight for 7 seasons between our last stint and our playoff win over them. Had a much stronger academy at that time- possibly bigger attendances and turnover too.

Hull had a better infrastructure than us in 2008.

Burnley seized on momentum and previous years of prudence- Parachute payments set them up to stabilise and rebuild again.

Swansea had a ground with more revenue than us between Liberty and AG redevelopment. Plus more importantly, a very distinct philosophy with managers to fit and to progress them/bring something new to the table- they had a plan and clearly stuck to it. A clear and distinct identity.

Bournemouth took advantage of some lax FFP regs and hit upon a Russian owner, with no risk of points deductions undoing them- they took advantage of an opportunity of some new regs in a fairly nascent stage. Eddie Howe also worked wonders.

Watford had their cosy arrangement with Udinese and to an extent Granda.

Shall I go on?

Each case was distinct and different but most of these were better placed than us to take advantage of the chances when they came or in one case, aTop 2 divisions yoyoing background- Crystal Palace to a point. Burnley are the only ones closest to us in comparison maybe- the first time, 2008-09.

Would you like a few more examples? I can't be quick about it, but name the team and I'll delve into it.

One big what if, when FFP never existed, is if we had gone and spent £15-20m or rather SL had in January 2008- that would have had very interesting repercussions moving forward!

Thanks Mr P. I think you are a guy that really knows the facts and is refreshing to see on a forum where normally there is so much twaddle spouted by a lot of folk who probably even rarely go to a match. We have though all of us one thing in common - a BCFC giving us entertaining football year on year and not having a continual battle like our quartered neighbours in Horfield :city:

Archived