IGNORED

Centre back pairing

Eddie Notgetinya

5 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

That we signed him loaned him to a few league clubs steadily moving up and now should be ready for first team football,

you know the same way we developed Bryan and Reid 

Hmmmm......not convinced that Moore is as talented as those two who both moved to the PL.......if only for one season.

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

Thats a bold statement. On what do you base it?

As @Monkeh said, we've been developing him the last couple of years for this moment. His time is now or never, and from what I've seen he's had a very good pre-season. He looks like a very Webster-esque player too, and could, in my opinion, slot in to that role.

Also, you don't captain your country, and play in Ligue 1 as a teenager if you don't have something about you.

11 minutes ago, elhombrecito said:

As @Monkeh said, we've been developing him the last couple of years for this moment. His time is now or never, and from what I've seen he's had a very good pre-season. He looks like a very Webster-esque player too, and could, in my opinion, slot in to that role.

Also, you don't captain your country, and play in Ligue 1 as a teenager if you don't have something about you.

See my reply Monkeh

2 hours ago, redsince1994 said:

I do think LJ might be seeing him as the ready made replacement. IIRC much of the criticism of him was that he was a skillful player but far too weak.

Now he has seemingly tripled in size it might no longer be an issue.

Did anybody else notice that LJ made Moore capt in one of the  US tour friendly games either the 2nd against Derby or the game against the US outfit, perhaps he really rates him this season .

9 minutes ago, Robbored said:

See my reply Monkeh

You may not be convinced that Moore is as talented as Bryan or Reid, but his pedigree is much more impressive than either of those two, so there is absolutely no reason why he can't continue his progression and really kick on this year and become a key player for us. 

I think Wright and, if fit, Baker are good Championship defenders - and, if I was being controversial, I'd say they were both better individually than the two centre-backs we had when we got to the play-off final - but clearly neither of them is as good as Webster. I'd not be panicked about going into the Leeds game with either of them lined up alongside Kalas, and I think we'd still be a good shout for an upper mid-table finish with either of them in the team, but I think we need to replace Webster if we are to mount a promotion challenge. In all honesty, I'm not too sure where Moore or Vyner are at the moment and I'd need to see more of both of them to decide. I hope they get more games this season but it would be a big ask to rely on them. 

4 hours ago, JonDolman said:

...of running slowly, going off injured, misplacing a pass, doing 2 footed challenges and making terrible mistakes that lead to goals. Very capable indeed!

Since December 2017 he has been very poor imo. The odd game he is ok, sure. But then Wright is ok nearly every game at centre back, in a basic no nonsense kind of way.

Baker being slow and pretty poor on the ball, like Wright, the least we expect from him is to be solid. And he no longer is. He's been at fault too many times for too long.

Kalas was an improvement on he ball , Webster was an improvement on the ball and could step into midfield with it, Keepers joining have been an improvement on the bal. This is a joined up progression. Baker with all respects in possession is not. 

I would question if poor (?) or even average on he ball is ever good enough for a team that builds from possession in the first third.. 

I wonder if Kalas could step up and show a bit more technically now Webster has gone?

Not at his level of course but I've always had the feeling he has a bit more in his locker in that respect than he's generally shown- if we fielded Wright alongside him, could Kalas show a bit more progression in his play?

I hope we get someone in of course and Wright obviously remains as cover but regardless of new or within, could Kalas step up a bit more in a possession based way?

13 hours ago, Sturny said:

Baker will do fine... if he stays fit. big IF 

All depends on what the expectation is this season - sure Baker will do fine for City, if the goal is to to stay around the mid table mark, but improvement will be needed for a play-off push.

5 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

All depends on what the expectation is this season - sure Baker will do fine for City, if the goal is to to stay around the mid table mark, but improvement will be needed for a play-off push.

Idk I think Baker could be part of a top 10 champ side making 30+ appearances. I'm very curious to see how a Baker / Kalas partnership would be like if they gel. Cracking beards on the line 

I'd rather have Moore in than Wright or Baker, Baker just isn't consistent enough and injury prone and Wright simply isn't good enough if we want to fight for promotion. 

Moore on the other hand is still a little early in his development IMO which means I think we'd need to replace but that's a hard ask, especially when we've just sold Kelly and everyone seems to be after center backs of quality. 

If we're not going to play Moore, we should get rid. He's been with us for a while now, and while 22 is still young he's not really been given a fair chance.

As already said, we've got a fair amount of cover, and to be honest I'd rather we spend that stupid £20m+ elsewhere if possible.

Must say, think selling Webster could be good decision. Previous clubs had him down as a walking sick note. If we can get close to the 25 mill some are quoting then think this is excellent business

How bad would it be turning down 25 mill for him to get injured first game of the season and be out until Christmas 

On 31/07/2019 at 00:41, Davefevs said:

I think @pnefcok will attest to Wright’s struggle on his left side.  I can certainly say that he is a shadow of himself when playing Left CB.  Any team worth it’s salt would see Wright lining up there and target him, either by letting him have it on his left foot, or as soon as he shapes back onto his right, press him hard.

He is a fine tight marker and decent in the air, but he just isn't anywhere near the player he when given limited chances to play RCB, or central in a 3.

Yes we regularly saw his trademark slice into the stands on his left foot.

The "bold" decision by LJ, IMO, will be to play a central defensive pairing of Kalas and Moore, with Moore on the left.

Playing a right footed CB has been done many times before and will continue as long as football is played.

Not comparing Taylor M to his illustrious namesake but Sir Bobby is the prime example in history. If Taylor Moore is good enough to play at this level, he will not be phased by being right or left centre back.

We have to play him to prove or disprove his pedigree. The same with Vyner.

The first goal is so poor City's coaches should feel insulted. The CB's are so deep they are not denying the opposition space and Leeds play it around in space in front of them.

With Webster off this was predictable. Bristol City have bought a keeper whose key skill is distribution and then sell the CB who would be his logical receiver. City's passing patterns were … Frequent whacking it back to front.

City's CB's were not looking to play out consistently or splitting constantly to make options for the Keeper negating what he is good at.

Identity? Passing football? No.

Archived