IGNORED

Bristol City/Sport Leisurewear

Pickle Rick

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Spot on

Again , always wondered why they don’t have a replica section

Timeless , you don’t end up with out of date stock , and some of the classics like the div  one shirt would , Id suggest go a bomb if sensibly priced

A hoodie with the 70s logo...timeless as you say and fully half the price of the rather naff hoodie in the club range...

20 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m a little behind but based on my experiences if you do , and I can help I’ll happily do so

i see my embroiderer is still operating and the owner was brilliant helping and advising , suggesting etc 

My immediate recommendation in terms of set up costs and start up , and embroidery etc would be to start with one simple clean logo , say something like the old robin and to start with one product in one or two colours

nearly my biggest error was expanding colours and products

With Polos And t shirts and 3 colours I was quickly stocking 60/70 items

Product x colour x sizes (There were about six or seven sizes alone) 

Thanks BobBobSuperBob. That's similar to what I was thinking. At the time I had thinking of polo shirts of black, red and white in 3 or 4 different sizes and slowly expand from there. My problem not being the creative person is the logo. But what with the first game of the season this week something might pop into my head.

I get the idea that the club doesn't want a decision by committee culture, and if you employ people to head up merchandising and retail, you need to allow them to get on with it.

But... when we see year on year some obvious failures that seem to go unaccounted such as pricing, quality, availability and design (who can forget the comic sans debacle!) you have to wonder why the club don't reach out to their likely customer base and ask them what they want.

And we thought the bar had got pricey!

10 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Thanks BobBobSuperBob. That's similar to what I was thinking. At the time I had thinking of polo shirts of black, red and white in 3 or 4 different sizes and slowly expand from there. My problem not being the creative person is the logo. But what with the first game of the season this week something might pop into my head.

Don’t want to derail the thread but as I say if you want to start up with low risk and logistics aid actually start with only one or two colours , see the feedback and expand from there 

Even if you are going to cater only for adults you will probably need to have a minimum of 5 sizes , two colours of the same design you are already looking at 10 products to stock , restock etc 

Doesnt sound a lot but if you want to start off with only 10 shirts of each that’s 100 shirts and the embroidery set up to fund 

Depending on your set up beware! :laugh: within weeks my dining room was stacked to ceiling with boxes of various sizes , colours etc !! 

As for design , my personal recommendation would not to try and be too clever and home in on something popular but simple and clean , that fans associate with City

The logo will cost to be digitised / set up (One off cost ) and if you then add embroidered writing that’s extra albeit not prohibitive at all

My most popular noticeably were the most simple that I’d started out with , with the next best alternative being when I had the logos embroidered on the sleeve rather than the traditional badge position 

10 hours ago, Slacker said:

Because as a City supporter I like to wear club t shirts and other items and I feel that the pricing is disappointingly excessive and which in turn will prevent myself and probably many others from buying them,much as they would like to do so.I commented because I believe the pricing structure will put things out of reach to many loyal supporters,particularly the less well off and those that take their kids.

In a big fat nutshell.........well said ?

44 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Forgot to say , but when I did it , and technology has move in a lot since then 

As regards design - you can simply take a picture , clip art , etc that you like and they will send this off to be digitised for the computer operated embroidery machines

You could draw your own design or produce something using software but if you want to you could simply take a picture already in existence of the logo/ picture  you’ve chosen  

3 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

They could do a lot worse than consult someone  like @Olé Who As I understand is engaged in clothing , and is a well versed football fan , and will be right up to speed with modern trends and wishes for the younger fan base

That's very kind of you to say so Bob, and I am indeed "down with the kids" and totally up to speed with latest styles amongst the youth™.

As such, I am pleased to report my great knowledge, based on trend setting streets of East London, of what the younger fan base wants:

• Trainers that look like orthopedic shoes
  • Flared trousers which are 4 sizes too short
  • White t-shirts 6 sizes too big (but tucked in)
  • A bum bag but naturally carried round the chest
  • A tiny fishermans hat in luminous yellow or pink

So if City make stuff like that, I reckon they'd rake it in. It also all has the advantage of looking poorly produced already, so easy for City..

3 minutes ago, Olé said:

That's very kind of you to say so Bob, and I am indeed "down with the kids" and totally up to speed with latest styles amongst the youth™.

As such, I am pleased to report my great knowledge, based on trend setting streets of East London, of what the younger fan base wants:

• Trainers that look like orthopedic shoes
  • Flared trousers which are 4 sizes too short
  • White t-shirts 6 sizes too big (but tucked in)
  • A bum bag but naturally carried round the chest
  • A tiny fishermans hat in luminous yellow or pink

So if City make stuff like that, I reckon they'd rake it in. It also all has the advantage of looking poorly produced already, so easy for City..

I'm off down Shoreditch tomorrow so I'll have a gander…:online2long:

16 hours ago, Bristol Rob said:

Looked at one in the shop after the Palace game.

Sorry to say it felt devoid of any quality whatsoever and massively overpriced.

You'll get a better quality top from Sports Direct for about 40 quid less.

That said, if you like it, go for it.

(Can't comment on the size however).

Quality and sportsdirect. 2 words i never thought id see together

25 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Forgot to say , but when I did it , and technology has move in a lot since then 

As regards design - you can simply take a picture , clip art , etc that you like and they will send this off to be digitised for the computer operated embroidery machines

You could draw your own design or produce something using software but if you want to you could simply take a picture already in existence of the logo/ picture  you’ve chosen  

Many thanks BobBobSuperBob

You've been a big help already. I'll probably draw something as my computer skills are not good. Using this forum is push them to the limit. When you said about taking a picture or logo already in existence would it not fall foul of copyright issues?

1 hour ago, Undy English said:

What's frightening to me is that us simple folk can spot these glaring opportunities that would make the club thousands. But the highly paid marketing department within Bristol Sport aren't seeing it at all.

To be fair I doubt the marketing department folk are highly paid - we know from the episode with Adam Baker and some of the recruitment ads that they seem to want young people they can pay cheaply - but sacrificing experience too. I suspect the real issue is this is a certain someones pet project and so he is allowed to learn on the job by making mistakes. With everything else we have done to turn this into a "Premier League club in waiting" we really should have a professional merchandiser.

20 minutes ago, CS Red said:

Many thanks BobBobSuperBob

You've been a big help already. I'll probably draw something as my computer skills are not good. Using this forum is push them to the limit. When you said about taking a picture or logo already in existence would it not fall foul of copyright issues?

No but I probably shouldn’t confuse the subject by using the word logo

Think everyday things that don’t belong to anyone

A Robin is the best example to us, a picture , outline , piece of clip art ,  a normal everyday Robin , you can use 

If it has been drawn / designed , as a logo, or part of a logo it is highly likely to be copyrighted (Though you’d be surprised how many companies / organisations don’t bother) 

As I said , the new City Robin logo is almost certainly copyrighted but I would suggest the Robin used in 70s badge , for example almost certainly wouldn’t be (Though the badge itself could be but I doubt it)

Does that make sense ?

If you look at my profile, there is a St George with a hand painted Bulldog on it - No one can own a simple picture of a everyday bulldog and I used the same picture on a run of  shirts 

The guy I went to was very good , he quite rightly , wouldn’t produce anything that he knew was in breach of copyright and helped me a lot with what I could or couldn’t have and what would look the best embroidered on a final product

You would also have to be very careful around , and probably avoid the words ‘Bristol City’ so base your design on a logo which is self explanatory

or come up with a phrase / word-logo that is not owned to, accompany it , or be a logo in itself 

Eg ‘ Cider Army’

A ‘Mind the gap’   logo might go well

’Pride Of Bristol’ ?

17 minutes ago, CS Red said:

When you said about taking a picture or logo already in existence would it not fall foul of copyright issues?

Some printers/embroiderers will do the job, others will ask you to prove you own the design. You certainly can't rock up to any serious firm with the Ralph Lauren Polo player logo and ask them to embroider it onto shirts for you. 

On a more general point, while everything Bob has said is spot on, I would caution against the idea of taking a picture or sketch of a logo you want to the printers. That might be okay for a park football team, but not for a serious business. High resolution original designs are everything and that means producing a vector (a geometric representation of your design that scales without any loss of accuracy). It seems to me this is one thing that was missing in the production of our current crest.

2 minutes ago, Olé said:

Some printers/embroiderers will do the job, others will ask you to prove you own the design. You certainly can't rock up to any serious firm with the Ralph Lauren Polo player logo and ask them to embroider it onto shirts for you. 

On a more general point, while everything Bob has said is spot on, I would caution against the idea of taking a picture or sketch of a logo you want to the printers. That might be okay for a park football team, but not for a serious business. High resolution original designs are everything and that means producing a vector (a geometric representation of your design that scales without any loss of accuracy). It seems to me this is one thing that was missing in the production of our current crest.

Thanks Ole and I very much bow to your better and more updated knowledge

Interestingly When I did mine , as a basic punter,  I took a clean print picture / graphic of the three lions , from which they produced the bit of software data to program the machines , and I have to say the embroidery , detail , quality and sharp lines product was amazing 

I still have some of the shirts which must have been worn and washed a thousand times and the embroidery is as good as the day it was done - amazing really 

59 minutes ago, Olé said:

To be fair I doubt the marketing department folk are highly paid - we know from the episode with Adam Baker and some of the recruitment ads that they seem to want young people they can pay cheaply - but sacrificing experience too. I suspect the real issue is this is a certain someones pet project and so he is allowed to learn on the job by making mistakes. With everything else we have done to turn this into a "Premier League club in waiting" we really should have a professional merchandiser.

My feeling exactly - with the added observation that when it comes to marketing and customer service lessons never really seem to be learned!

• Admin
2 minutes ago, Red Army 75 said:

No mate really comfy . Would be good for holiday. Especially with the zip pockets 

Are they stretchy? 

Just wondered how precise I need to be with the sizing 

Looks the best of the items available 

• Admin

Was talking to one of the fewers that works on the same site as me over lunch

He was talking about their shop, and how they were envious of ours, we started discussing the actual items that are for sale

I'm amazed that the tinpot crowd up the road can stock so much more than us - swap these designs into red and City related, I am sure the club would sell much more?

https://brfcdirect.co.uk/collections/accessories

https://brfcdirect.co.uk/collections/training-travel

14 minutes ago, phantom said:

He was talking about their shop, and how they were envious of ours, we started discussing the actual items that are for sale

I'm amazed that the tinpot crowd up the road can stock so much more than us - swap these designs into red and City related, I am sure the club would sell much more?

I imagine its as its default templates with Macron is it, you could buy the same colourways without the rovers badge if you rang Macron up.

• Admin
26 minutes ago, AshtonPark said:

I imagine its as its default templates with Macron is it, you could buy the same colourways without the rovers badge if you rang Macron up.

I don't mean this to sound negative, but could it be feasible the reason why we are seeing such a limited selection is that we produce items "in house" rather than using a main stream company?

8 minutes ago, phantom said:

I don't mean this to sound negative, but could it be feasible the reason why we are seeing such a limited selection is that we produce items "in house" rather than using a main stream company?

Yes totally.

We're having to create these items from scratch. With Rovers and Macron, they'll just whack the logo on pre-made items that have been made in bulk.

On 31/07/2019 at 09:51, sticks 1969 said:

Anyone remember the THESE COLOURS DONT RUN T SHIRTS  with the bull dog on the front ?

Had the euro 88 one with Bristol city and England also one from the 89/90 season

i would imagine these days they would be frowned upon.......

Yep. Had a couple. Unfortunately didn’t go down to well in Swindon. Like it said these colours don’t run. Went home sore. Alas that was in my prime. Nowadays not so brave just to fat to run

Haven't posted on here in ages but do scope out the conversations, caught this one and a few comments made me smile especially the gap one , I'm setting up my own designs side hobby, slowly building up my own designs based on films and my own twisted sense of humour, but had to do my own design favourites just as a taster.

Screenshot_20190903-204211_Twitter.thumb.jpg.cd6dbc0642262037a8fd4f25d7c53852.jpg

7 hours ago, phantom said:

Litts looks happy to be modelling the stuff...

Archived