IGNORED

FFP and Webster money

I am no FFP expert, but didn’t we have to sell Reid, Bryan,Flint to balance the books for we lost £25m.

if we are still losing that amount and we’ve spent the Kelly money on Kalas etc. how much of Webster’s fee are we able to spend to stay within FFP or are we going to give it a go this season and square it all up next season.

20 minutes ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

I am no FFP expert, but didn’t we have to sell Reid, Bryan,Flint to balance the books for we lost £25m.

if we are still losing that amount and we’ve spent the Kelly money on Kalas etc. how much of Webster’s fee are we able to spend to stay within FFP or are we going to give it a go this season and square it all up next season.

The money from those sales won’t appear until this seasons accounts

2018/19 accounts, which will appear- well we're often quite quick off the mark with it, last year it was late October but should appear late February, early March 2020.

The Kelly money will also appear in the 2018/19 accounts- the Webster and Eisa cash will appear in 2019/20 accounts which will appear at CH sometime in 2020 or 2021.

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

2018/19 accounts, which will appear- well we're often quite quick off the mark with it, last year it was late October but should appear late February, early March 2020.

The Kelly money will also appear in the 2018/19 accounts- the Webster and Eisa cash will appear in 2019/20 accounts which will appear at CH sometime in 2020 or 2021.

Thanks, 

Will that mean we can spend all of it or some of it. For if we lost £25m in 2017-18 will we be losing roughly the same with more higher earners.

Will that restrict us over 3 years rolling to what we can spend, so this season if we were losing £25m a season  and squaredit up last year but spent Kelly money on Kalas etc. we have only £14m to play with so does selling Webster balance the books and next season when £25m comes off ffp can we spend a bit more then.

This is a very thorough analysis of the last couple of years financial results, puts a lot into context around the financial position of the club.

https://mobile.twitter.com/SwissRamble/status/1059376131340677120

appreciate Mr Popodopolous has greater knowledge than me on this but my view is as follows

Basically City ran at a loss before the impact of transfers of £14.5m in FY17/18, although some of this is excluded from FFP as it will relate to stadium development or youth investment which are excluded. However the club still would have run at a loss of say £10m + which is within the £13m allowable losses for FFP, assuming this is funded by the owners. So in effect the Landsdown family are putting £10m plus into the club each year to fund the underlying losses made, before any money is spent on transfers.

Any transfer activity will be after this so effectively any transfer fees spent needed to be funded by sales. However the cost of any transfer in is accounted for over the length of the contract signed, so for Kalas assuming he signed a four year contract he will count for £2m per year until 2023/24.

Thiis means City should have made a big transfer profit in 2018/19 as the sales of Kelly, Reid, Bryan and Flint would count as c£35m profit but the around £11m spent on Wiemann, Webster, Watkins etc would only have added c£3m to the loss. If we hadn’t sold Reid and Bryan last summer I assume we would have been in FFP trouble.

So City are ‘fine’ for FFP for this and probably next season, the risk will come if either a) Lansdown doesn’t want to the fund the club anymore which I guess is unlikely or b) in say 3 years time when we are still incurring the costs of signings made now and we haven’t made the prem. this is the situation Birmingham, Derby, Villa and Sheff Wed have found themselves in hence why they have been docked points or got around it by selling their grounds

To answer the original question, were we to sell Webster for £25m as quoted this would be a profit of around £15m as a best guess in 2019/20, the £25m fee less the £4m of the original fee to Ipswich to be amortised and the assumed 25% sell on clause of £4m to Ipswich. 

• Admin
2 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

@wayne allisons tongues

Taken from an interview with Lee Johnson yesterday

image.png

@054123

Think we're fine with it for this season, next season and possibly the season after! I believe there has to be a "go for it" season though- was rather hoping it would be this one, "go for it" in terms both of new signings and who we hold onto. Selling Kelly is fine, helps us tick over with FFP but Webster leaving so soon in the same summer is a disappointment IMO.

Depends how much we spend on fees and wages of course and how we spend it, but I don't see us risking falling foul for some time. I didn't even think we needed to sell Webster for it personally and I don't think we did.

The one other thing to bear in mind is that equity for FFP- if owners don't put it in, the loss limit falls to £5m per season plus allowables but equity can take that to anything between £5,000,001-£13m plus said allowables.

55 minutes ago, 054123 said:

So should all this start to help us keep the right side of FPP?

The much maligned strategy that SL put in place 4/5 years ago is what helps keep us the right side of ffp.

Archived