IGNORED

Irritation about Leeds Utd comment on Sky Sports News

Lrrr

You just have to accept these comments and as a Bristol City supporter I can't get very uptight about it. If I was a Huddersfield, Burnley, Bolton or Preston supporter I might be more upset, as clubs who spent lots of time at the top table as opposed to young upstarts Leeds whose success arises from Revie's arrival in the 60s. Many of the 'big' clubs which have spent years outside of the 1st/Premiership, Leeds, Derby, Forest etc were only so during the period of one or two managers, but that's how the media views them. I suspect if we get promoted this year and spent the next 20 years in the top flight we still wouldn't be considered a 'big' club. 

53 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

That may be because they are a relatively "new" club formed in 1919.

For me Leeds are one of the top 10 biggest clubs in England. Admittedly, at the lower end of the top 10. 

This got me thinking, here's my stab at the top 10 biggest clubs in England.  Everyone has their own criteria for "big" - for me it's a combination of the size of the fanbase and their achievements over their entire history.

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Spurs

6. Man City

7. Everton

8. Leeds

9. Villa

10. Newcastle

1 minute ago, ChippenhamRed said:

This got me thinking, here's my stab at the top 10 biggest clubs in England.  Everyone has their own criteria for "big" - for me it's a combination of the size of the fanbase and their achievements over their entire history.

1. Bristol Rovers

2. Man Utd

3. Liverpool

4. Arsenal

5. Chelsea

6. Spurs

7. Man City

8. Everton

9. Leeds

10. Villa

Corrected.

a lot of it could be that theres only one leeds,ie united,no city or albion etc. the 2 manchesters split it,as do forest and notts county,we have that lot. leeds biggest rival I think is Barnsley so I wonder how many leeds fans are leeds fans from leeds because its called leeds and not barnsley

2 hours ago, hodge said:

They said can Bielsa go 1 or 2 better and take Leeds United 'home', Leeds were relegated in 03/04 season and they had spent 14 seasons in the premier league, so they've now spent more years outside the premier league then their last stint in it, may just be a personal irritation that Leeds are still described in the sense they are a premier league club.

It’s no different to a number of clubs in the championship, Forrest are also spoken about in the same way.

It’s as ridiculous as Talksport saying the football season starts a week Saturday ! 

32 minutes ago, redsquirrel said:

a lot of it could be that theres only one leeds,ie united,no city or albion etc. the 2 manchesters split it,as do forest and notts county,we have that lot. leeds biggest rival I think is Barnsley so I wonder how many leeds fans are leeds fans from leeds because its called leeds and not barnsley

Leeds fans regard Man U as their rivals.

Huddersfield and Bradford regard Leeds as their biggest rivals.

32 minutes ago, One Team In Keynsham said:

Leeds have provided some of entertaining moments in the rich tapestry of football's history. To name a few: Astle's goal in 1971, Bremner scrapping with Keegan at the Charity Shield, the Yorkshire TV interview with Clough and Revie, their valiant European Cup win (sic) in 1975, the expenditure on goldfish, the (possibly apocryphal) Seth Johnson transfer story, getting mugged for Eric Cantona, and so on. For these, and more, we should be grateful they exist.

I became a Leeds United 'fan' following the 1965 FA Cup Final, which they lost 2-1 to Liverpool in extra time: a valiant team losing in adversity. 

My (vague) memories of the match itself are that it was quite boring, but I do recall being mesmerised by one of the Leeds players, Albert Johanneson: he was hailed as being the first black player to appear in an FA Cup Final, although Paul Reaney played in the same match and, to this day, I have never been able to understand this.

Unfortunately, the late Don Revie then instilled his 'hard' style of football on Leeds, and I have despised the team and their fans ever since - I went to the 1970s cup game as a young boy, barely in my teens, and to experience middle-aged men throwing punches at me and chasing me back to the official supporters club coaches will remain in my memory forever.     

I hope we win come Sunday, and I remind you of the WBA goal....

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2009/apr/18/ray-tinkler-played-advantage-leeds

I have quite a few friends who are Leeds fans and a couple of whom do actually go occasionally. However despite the fact i hold my tongue socially on here I can say unequivocally I ******* can not stand that ******* horrible football club. 

They are a club who had a golden period highlighted by their constant assaults on opponents and their ability to finish second on 90% of occasions.

They had some great players of that there is no doubt, who all should have thrown their medals in the bin Brian Clough directed them to and a manager who’s name is a bye word for the worst that was ever a part of football in its history and I cant even bring myself to say it now.....Loved Norman Hunter mind? 

9 minutes ago, AppyDAZE said:

Come on now folks, they're so big they named them thrice

Ledds! Leeds! Leeds!

They got a free bottle opener with their season tickets that belts out ‘Marching On Together’ when you use it 

Ill await the pelters , but for me , a great song 

8 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Ta

Going by that then , am I missing something ? or can we stop claiming we ‘can’t compete’ with so many clubs at this level ?

Yep - I’m also bored of that claim made by so many  - we can compete with clubs at this level, we sell players for huge, obscene amounts of dosh and we buy players for huge, obscene amounts of dosh .... it’s a lame argument saying ‘we can’t compete’

10 hours ago, ChippenhamRed said:

1. Man Utd

2. Liverpool

3. Arsenal

4. Chelsea

5. Spurs

6. Man City

7. Everton

8. Leeds

9. Villa

10. Newcastle

I probably wouldn’t put Newcastle in there. Not won the league for about a century and last honours were nearly 75 years ago. Plus, it was only a matter of 25 years ago they were getting sub-10k crowds. 

Yes, they have a big stadium and big crowds now, but I think their position as a top 10 team is a bit of a Geordie myth. 

You could argue that clubs like West Ham, Derby, Forest have had more success in the last 50 years than Newcastle - 50 years seems like a good barometer to me. 

41 minutes ago, Harry said:

I probably wouldn’t put Newcastle in there. Not won the league for about a century and last honours were nearly 75 years ago. Plus, it was only a matter of 25 years ago they were getting sub-10k crowds. 

Yes, they have a big stadium and big crowds now, but I think their position as a top 10 team is a bit of a Geordie myth. 

You could argue that clubs like West Ham, Derby, Forest have had more success in the last 50 years than Newcastle - 50 years seems like a good barometer to me. 

So going up to the premier league as champions of the championship twice in the last 10 years doesn’t count?! Blimey, we creamed ourselves when we won the ‘double’ of Mickey Mouse Cup winners and champions of div 3 ...

53 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

So going up to the premier league as champions of the championship twice in the last 10 years doesn’t count?! Blimey, we creamed ourselves when we won the ‘double’ of Mickey Mouse Cup winners and champions of div 3 ...

Nope, Championship titles don’t really count when you’re assessing the top 10 clubs in the country. Reading, Sunderland and Wolves have also recently won the Championship title twice. 

Wolves have also won 5 domestic trophies since Newcastle won anything. Sunderland have also won more in the last 50 years than Newcastle. 

11 hours ago, Harry said:

Nope, Championship titles don’t really count when you’re assessing the top 10 clubs in the country. Reading, Sunderland and Wolves have also recently won the Championship title twice. 

Wolves have also won 5 domestic trophies since Newcastle won anything. Sunderland have also won more in the last 50 years than Newcastle. 

Surely you’re not counting the Texaco Cup and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy amongst Wolves’ haul of domestic  trophies?!

If winning the Championship doesn’t count then those two certainly don’t! And Newcastle last won a trophy in 2006 - I don’t think Wolves has won five trophies since then ... in fact I can’t see what you mean by Wolves winning five domestic trophies anyway, they won the League Cup twice, many moons ago ... what are the other three you think they’ve picked up?

And if you’re not counting winning a division below the top tier as an honour then Sunderland has only won one trophy in the last 50 years whilst Newcastle has won two European trophies in the last 30 years ...

3 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

.... And if you’re not counting winning a division below the top tier as an honour then Sunderland has only won one trophy in the last 50 years whilst Newcastle has won two European trophies in the last 30 years ...

Apologies @Harry - I meant to post that Newcastle has won two European trophies in the last 50 years, not the last 30 ...

On 31/07/2019 at 11:26, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not sure on what people base this

in my near half century of following City I can think of a number of fanbases who could claim that title (Villa fans right up there 5 , but not Leeds

Massive, consistent loyal following ,and loud , loud , loud , home and away 

I personally see them all over European holiday resorts being loud mouth bellends, with a superiority complex that belies the fact they are a club that has done fuckall for many years. Marginally better than the "Geordie nation" but not by much.

Just my opinion and I will concede that they are Massive, consistent loyal following ,and loud , loud , loud , home and away, like Man U actually just minus the trophies. 

On 31/07/2019 at 22:35, Harry said:

Fair. I struggled to make my mind up about that last spot. I settled on Newcastle primarily because they get 50k+ crowds, even outside the top division. That’s impressive. They also competed right at the top of the Premier League for a number of years in the 90s. But take your point about Derby, Forest, etc. The definition of a “big” club is a very subjective debate!

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Surely you’re not counting the Texaco Cup and the Johnstone’s Paint Trophy amongst Wolves’ haul of domestic  trophies?!

If winning the Championship doesn’t count then those two certainly don’t! And Newcastle last won a trophy in 2006 - I don’t think Wolves has won five trophies since then ... in fact I can’t see what you mean by Wolves winning five domestic trophies anyway, they won the League Cup twice, many moons ago ... what are the other three you think they’ve picked up?

And if you’re not counting winning a division below the top tier as an honour then Sunderland has only won one trophy in the last 50 years whilst Newcastle has won two European trophies in the last 30 years ...

In fairness I forgot that Newcastle won’t the UEFA Fairs Cup in 69. Not sure what you’d class as their 2nd European trophy though (again, we’re talking top level, Not Anglo-Italian Cup). 

When you look at the top domestic trophies (League, FA Cup, League Cup), Newcastle last won a domestic trophy in 55. Wolves have won the league twice since then, FA Cup once since then and League Cup twice since then. 

11 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

In fairness I forgot that Newcastle won’t the UEFA Fairs Cup in 69. Not sure what you’d class as their 2nd European trophy though (again, we’re talking top level, Not Anglo-Italian Cup). 

When you look at the top domestic trophies (League, FA Cup, League Cup), Newcastle last won a domestic trophy in 55. Wolves have won the league twice since then, FA Cup once since then and League Cup twice since then. 

11 minutes ago, Harry said:

When you look at the top domestic trophies (League, FA Cup, League Cup), Newcastle last won a domestic trophy in 55. Wolves have won the league twice since then, FA Cup once since then and League Cup twice since then...

You posted “Wolves have won five domestic trophies since Newcastle have won anything” .... that isn’t true. And when you were talking about Newcastle’s lack of success, you didn’t mention you were only talking about ‘domestic’ trophies ...

And your statement about Sunderland winning more than Newcastle in the last 50 years was also incorrect ...

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

You posted “Wolves have won five domestic trophies since Newcastle have won anything” .... that isn’t true. And when you were talking about Newcastle’s lack of success, you didn’t mention you were only talking about ‘domestic’ trophies ...

And your statement about Sunderland winning more than Newcastle in the last 50 years was also incorrect ...

Sorry pedant. I’ll spell it out correctly next time. Of course I was talking about domestic trophies, and I correctly wrote that Wolves had won 5 domestic trophies since Newcastle last won one. And Sunderland won the FA Cup in 73, which when I last checked was more recent than 55. 

Had I been referencing European success I’d have also noted that Derby, Forest & Ipswich would be more successful than Newcastle. But I didn’t, because I was clearly referencing domestic success as I wrote ‘domestic’ in the sentence referencing wolves achievements compared to Newcastle’s  

Not sure why you’re looking for an argument mate. It’s just my opinion. 

1 minute ago, Harry said:

Sorry pedant. I’ll spell it out correctly next time. Of course I was talking about domestic trophies, and I correctly wrote that Wolves had won 5 domestic trophies since Newcastle last won one. And Sunderland won the FA Cup in 73, which when I last checked was more recent than 55. 

Had I been referencing European success I’d have also noted that Derby, Forest & Ipswich would be more successful than Newcastle. But I didn’t, because I was clearly referencing domestic success as I wrote ‘domestic’ in the sentence referencing wolves achievements compared to Newcastle’s  

Not sure why you’re looking for an argument mate. It’s just my opinion. 

No need for the ‘pedant’ reference and the patronising ‘of course I was talking about domestic trophies’ - no, you said “since Newcastle won anything” - that isn’t obviously about ‘domestic trophies’ - I’m not looking for an argument, you just got your facts wrong ...

6 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

No need for the ‘pedant’ reference and the patronising ‘of course I was talking about domestic trophies’ - no, you said “since Newcastle won anything” - that isn’t obviously about ‘domestic trophies’ - I’m not looking for an argument, you just got your facts wrong ...

For real. 

Loathsome club.

Hope they go down or out of business as soon as possible. 

Weirdo manager, fans are generally total w4nkers, and the arrogance is unbearable.

Hope they’re in the championship or lower for a good while yet ?

There are 6 "big" clubs in this country now, and the rest are irrelevant fodder, wasting their/our time. Leeds very much included.

Leeds crowd can make a racket, though - as @LondonBristolian says, perhaps because, as @Loon plage says, they have a lot of (very thick) bellends - they would get in a "big" six for that, ahead of Arsenal, Chelsea and Man City.  

Clubs like Leeds and Aston Villa are football's equivalent of the National Trust, sepia tinged, thousands of visitors, raking it in at the teashop and over-priced tat-shop, their glory days well behind them now and not going to be seen again.

Archived