IGNORED

Free away travel for Reading supporters

Rudolf Hucker

I recall in the final week of the season or so, making a thread about free or heavily subsidised travel for Hull away and our former SLO didn't even so much as reject it in a reply!

?

If not feasible or a goer fair enough, but at least TELL US WHY!!!

Regardless it is an excellent gesture and should help to give that "12th man" when they may well need it on tough, long haul away days. Given where we're based Geographically, this could be very useful for us, even more than Reading IMO.

• Admin

To be honest you could pay for me to go on CATS and I would still rather go by train or as part of an un-official trip

Though I do appreciate that this would not be the case for everyone and would surely increase our away following

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I recall in the final week of the season or so, making a thread about free or heavily subsidised travel for Hull away and our former SLO didn't even so much as reject it in a reply!

?

If not feasible or a goer fair enough, but at least TELL US WHY!!!

Regardless it is an excellent gesture and should help to give that "12th man" when they may well need it on tough, long haul away days. Given where we're based Geographically, this could be very useful for us, even more than Reading IMO.

I've never understood this one.  Why should we be provided with free travel?

The football club has no need to explain it's self IMO.  They've provided the train thingy app which will help some. why don't they give free ice creams or cider?  if they're not going to then they should explain why not!

• Admin
2 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

They've provided the train thingy app which will help some.

Don't be blinded by that @EmersonsKev it's just a company the club have teamed up with to advertise

The deals are no better and already proven to be more expensive than sites like "Trainsplit", "Trainline" etc

22 minutes ago, EmersonsKev said:

I've never understood this one.  Why should we be provided with free travel?

The football club has no need to explain it's self IMO.  They've provided the train thingy app which will help some. why don't they give free ice creams or cider?  if they're not going to then they should explain why not!

Certainly not every week or anything like that.

Just saying, once in a while- for important games that are a problem to get to, think Hull away last day of the season in 2018/19 with no trains within the right time frame form Bristol, which could've been playoffs or bust. The 12th man, over the line.

By the same token, why is Reading's chairman doing this?

Why did Millwall pay for their fans to Wigan away on the last game? Or maybe it was heavily subsidised.

Why did Marinakis at Forest say to them "Lads- this one's on me". Dead rubber, Nottingham Forest to QPR.

My main point though is why did our SLO at the least not liaise? Your reasons may well be right but it's pretty poor form tbh, the lack of liaison.

Because let's face it, away travel is pretty expensive- in general I mean.

Your bit I bolded in the last part of your post is well that's pretty tenuous IMO. Given the relative cost, commitment etc. 

While I'm at it though- and the first two of these are the PL so I accept the differentials.

Mike Ashley in his early days, once tried to buy the entire away end a beer at Sunderland in 2007- was stopped for some reason. :whistle: This wasn't club subsidy though, this was him as he did going out on the piss with Newcastle fans, watching from the away end wearing a Newcastle shirt- that kinda thing.

Periodically, Leicester City will get their fans free beer and mince pies (at Christmas) or free beer, water and cup cakes. Maybe it's freebies once or twice a year.

I should also add at this level, Derby chairman Mel Morris in 2015 gave all Derby fans a free hot drink. Also same season I am sure he did another free gift- paid £11 out of £36 for season ticket holders away at Man Utd last season- they only paid £25 instead of £36.

Well we had the excuses, sorry reasons in the past that it could only happen in the Premiership. And it was betting companies who usually stumped up the cash for such schemes. So Reading haven’t been in the Premier or a while and I believe Stoke have continued to provide free transport last season, not sure about this so the Premiership thing is wrong. 

Hey, look who sponsors us....a betting company. Except for their bloody awful Dunder challenge how much are they interacting with fans for carrying their bloody adverts on our shirts.

Even a bit of discount would be good on travel. I’ve commented before how overpriced it is compared to my friend at Preston. We can be £10 or more dearer for similar mileage. Shocking. 

I personally would go to every away game if it was free. The cost of 90 minutes entertainment away is shocking. It wouldn’t do any harm to run the coaches at cost price, the club really shouldn’t be making a profit from away travel, it just seems morally wrong.

Can someone please give our new SLO a poke on Twitter, I would be interested to hear his response.

Rant over

24 minutes ago, RedM said:

Well we had the excuses, sorry reasons in the past that it could only happen in the Premiership. And it was betting companies who usually stumped up the cash for such schemes. So Reading haven’t been in the Premier or a while and I believe Stoke have continued to provide free transport last season, not sure about this so the Premiership thing is wrong. 

Hey, look who sponsors us....a betting company. Except for their bloody awful Dunder challenge how much are they interacting with fans for carrying their bloody adverts on our shirts.

Even a bit of discount would be good on travel. I’ve commented before how overpriced it is compared to my friend at Preston. We can be £10 or more dearer for similar mileage. Shocking. 

I personally would go to every away game if it was free. The cost of 90 minutes entertainment away is shocking. It wouldn’t do any harm to run the coaches at cost price, the club really shouldn’t be making a profit from away travel, it just seems morally wrong.

Can someone please give our new SLO a poke on Twitter, I would be interested to hear his response.

Rant over

:boxing:

:laughcont:

You’re alright you are M

You and @exAtyeoMax two fine contributors , and make me laugh , and very much, and I hope you take it as a compliment,  ‘one of the lads’

1 hour ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

:boxing:

:laughcont:

You’re alright you are M

You and @exAtyeoMax two fine contributors , and make me laugh , and very much, and I hope you take it as a compliment,  ‘one of the lads’

Thank you, that’s very nice of you to say. Always hard to be a girlie in a mans world. YesI know football has got all family friendly these days but it still feels very male dominated, and personally I like it like this.

15 hours ago, RedM said:

It wouldn’t do any harm to run the coaches at cost price, the club really shouldn’t be making a profit from away travel, it just seems morally wrong.

Is Cats really run for a profit? This would be a very strange decision if true.

Whereas I’m not convinced that the club should be subsiding the cost of away travel (the money needs to come from somewhere, and could be spent elsewhere), the club should definitely not be making a profit out of fans travelling away to watch their team.

i agree that it would be helpful for the SLO to confirm the position.

2 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

Whereas I’m not convinced that the club should be subsiding the cost of away travel (the money needs to come from somewhere, and could be spent elsewhere), the club should definitely not be making a profit out of fans travelling away to watch their team.

Well let’s put it this way, a few times I have knowledge about the cost of hiring the coach and I obviously I can easily find out what the away coach travel ticket price is. Let’s say there is a difference. I got this info away from the club and have no reason to doubt my source. This isn’t just for any old coach hire but the prices Bristol City are quoted compared to what they charge. I was quite surprised too.

3 hours ago, HitchinRed said:

Of course they make a profit on away travel, have you seen the prices they charge?

Archived