Subs:
Gilmartin
Vyner
Rowe
COD
Walsh
Semenyo
Paterson

I've assumed Niki, Baker and Wright are injured? Think Clarke and Palmer (and a new number 9 ?) will be signed too late to make the squad. The new arrivals should then pave the way for Matty Taylor to leave hence why I don't think he'll be on the bench. 

Bentley

Hunt.     Webster/ Baker Kalas.      Dasilva

Pack

weimann.      Brownhill.        Sammie

Palmer

Diedhou

I'd quite like to see, within the bounds of who is fit etc. and within the current squad assuming Webster and Palmer done deals and nobody else in or out- whether it happens different matter!

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker/Wright/Moore Da Silva

Brownhill Pack Walsh

Palmer Szmodics/O'Dowda

Weimann

Granted it's a bit imbalanced in places but I feel that possession will be key on Sunday. I also think with this mooted 3-3-1-3 of Leeds that there will be chances on the break, and speed of thought/movement with Palmer and Weimann linking will help with this, 3 in the centre also eases a bit of pressure on Brownhill and Pack and I do believe that at least 2 of them and maybe 3 could flourish moreso in a 3. Not a game for Diedhiou given a) The general defensive structure of Leeds b) It hinders Weimann out wide and c) He can't play all that fluidly unlike those others in the forward line/midfield.

The contract thing I know may stick in the craw with some but I'd consider O'Dowda v Leeds certainly- that ability to interchange with Weimann and Palmer would come in handy Sunday!

1 hour ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

I'd quite like to see, within the bounds of who is fit etc. and within the current squad assuming Webster and Palmer done deals and nobody else in or out- whether it happens different matter!

Bentley

Hunt Kalas Baker/Wright/Moore Da Silva

Brownhill Pack Walsh

Palmer Szmodics/O'Dowda

Weimann

Granted it's a bit imbalanced in places but I feel that possession will be key on Sunday. I also think with this mooted 3-3-1-3 of Leeds that there will be chances on the break, and speed of thought/movement with Palmer and Weimann linking will help with this, 3 in the centre also eases a bit of pressure on Brownhill and Pack and I do believe that at least 2 of them and maybe 3 could flourish moreso in a 3. Not a game for Diedhiou given a) The general defensive structure of Leeds b) It hinders Weimann out wide and c) He can't play all that fluidly unlike those others in the forward line/midfield.

The contract thing I know may stick in the craw with some but I'd consider O'Dowda v Leeds certainly- that ability to interchange with Weimann and Palmer would come in handy Sunday!

Interesting selection and a well thought out one. One minor change i might make would be to include Rowe instead of Walsh. Have been impressed with him pre-season and offers more defensively. which would allow Pack to play a little further up the pitch. Pack when playing a bit further forward does tend to spot the Weimann runs.

I'd use the game as a chance to say to CO'D there's only a few days left in the window, go convince someone why they should bid for you

Bentley

Hunt .... Kalas .... Moore .... Dasilva

Eliasson .... Brownhill .... Pack ... O'Dowda

Weimann .... Diedhiou

Would also consider

Bentley

Hunt ........ Kalas .... Moore ... Dasilva

Pack

Eliasson .... Brownhill .... Rowe .... O'Dowda

Weimann

Brownhill/Rowe can both transition quickly to get forward and support Weimann

21 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

with this mooted 3-3-1-3 of Leeds that there will be chances on the break

Agreed. The idea of that 3-3-1-3 is to overload the opposition's defence with 5 attackers. If we can absorb that kind of attack and then counter with width we should create the opportunity to stretch their back 3 and so create gaps between the middle man and the wide centre backs. I actually quite like your idea of resting Diedhiou for it as his presence will keep the Leeds' back three tight and central. Give them instead 3 or 4 smaller faster players running around them and we could see them stretched out of position.

One thing though - when playing that formation do Leeds play a high line or do the three stay deep?

Suspect we'll line up in the usual 4-2-3-1 but at least it's an interesting discussion.

5 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Interesting selection and a well thought out one. One minor change i might make would be to include Rowe instead of Walsh. Have been impressed with him pre-season and offers more defensively. which would allow Pack to play a little further up the pitch. Pack when playing a bit further forward does tend to spot the Weimann runs.

Agree Rowe over Walsh is something that should be considered. Perhaps Rowe on for Walsh if/when we're leading with 30 mins to go?

11 minutes ago, Gillies Downs Leeds said:

Good shout, had almost forgotten about him- but yeah he can cover CM and LB, could be a shrewd signing.Better defensively than Walsh certainly.

Agree, Pack higher up the pitch can only benefit us- he can help pick the runs of Weimann, we saw it on occasion last season v Bolton and Norwich IIRC, Pack Assist-Weimann Goal.

17 minutes ago, hodge said:

I'd use the game as a chance to say to CO'D there's only a few days left in the window, go convince someone why they should bid for you

Bentley

Hunt .... Kalas .... Moore .... Dasilva

Eliasson .... Brownhill .... Pack ... O'Dowda

Weimann .... Diedhiou

Would also consider

Bentley

Hunt ........ Kalas .... Moore ... Dasilva

Pack

Eliasson .... Brownhill .... Rowe .... O'Dowda

Weimann

Brownhill/Rowe can both transition quickly to get forward and support Weimann

Quite like the 2nd team- first one it is attack minded but fear could leave us a bit exposed on the counter. Not quite enough cover in the middle either potentially- 2nd team though, you could in some phases also play a bit of a double pivot Pack and Rowe, with Brownhill the central of the '3' and in some phases Rowe could sit and Pack look for Weimann, in other phases Pack could sit and we see what you say, the Brownhill/Rowe quick transitions.

Just now, Mr Popodopolous said:

Quite like the 2nd team- first one it is attack minded but fear could leave us a bit exposed on the counter. Not quite enough cover in the middle either potentially- 2nd team though, you could in some phases also play a bit of a double pivot Pack and Rowe with Brownhill and in some phases Rowe could sit and Pack look for Weimann, in other phases Pack could sit and we see what you say, the Brownhill/Rowe quick transitions.

My concern is with 3 CB's they can just man mark in a 1 striker system to much will then be required of the others

9 minutes ago, hodge said:

My concern is with 3 CB's they can just man mark in a 1 striker system to much will then be required of the others

Good point- I'm sure I remember reading of a downside once for a defending team with 3 CB's vs a lone striker but can't remember what or find the article. There must be one though, but given the flexibility of that front 3 it can pull them out of position too, perhaps wider and exploit it quickly. Something about leaving the "spare man" but you're right, 3 v 1 on paper should nullify the striker quite easily yet I'm convinced there is a chink in the armour that a mobile- and it has to be the right sort of lone striker- can exploit v a back 3.

2 minutes ago, hodge said:

But with 3 CBs the weakness is that they have to pivot to whichever side the attack comes down. RCB steps over to the wing, CB moves to cover, LCB moves with and then there's space on the left. Or the LCB stays put and then there's a gap between him and the CB. If you ditch Fam and play Weimann centrally...but not as an out and out number 9 then our front 4 can exploit those gaps as their CBs move.

9 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agree, Pack higher up the pitch can only benefit us- he can help pick the runs of Weimann, we saw it on occasion last season v Bolton and Norwich IIRC, Pack Assist-Weimann Goal.

We saw it for Bryan's goal way back against Man Utd. Pack pushing higher and sending a peach of a through ball straight through the channel between their RB and RCB.

1 minute ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Good point- I'm sure I remember reading of a downside once for a defending team with 3 CB's vs a lone striker but can't remember what or find the article. There must be one though, but given the flexibility of that front 3 it can pull them out of position too, perhaps wider and exploit it quickly. Something about leaving the "spare man" but you're right, 3 should nullify one quite easily yet I'm convinced there is a chink in the armour that a mobile- and it has to be the right sort of lone striker- can exploit v a back 3.

And the only way they nullify that is by insisting one or two of their midfielders drop back to cover the space that the 3 defenders leave. This is a huge demand on the stamina of that guy...although in Barry Douglas they probably have the best in the division at doing it.

4 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

But with 3 CBs the weakness is that they have to pivot to whichever side the attack comes down. RCB steps over to the wing, CB moves to cover, LCB moves with and then there's space on the left. Or the LCB stays put and then there's a gap between him and the CB. If you ditch Fam and play Weimann centrally...but not as an out and out number 9 then our front 4 can exploit those gaps as their CBs move.

Depends what the midfield 3 is shaped like, if its 2 wingers/wing backs then it will depend on who plays there, defensive minded players (or like Bryan) and you can slot in with the extra defender required.

1 minute ago, hodge said:

Depends what the midfield 3 is shaped like, if its 2 wingers/wing backs then it will depend on who plays there, defensive minded players (or like Bryan) and you can slot in with the extra defender required.

Absolutely. Can't remember the precise make up of the 3 in that tweet series but I suspect that's how they'd play it. Someone like Douglas dropping in to complete the 4 then moving into attack as he likes.

I enjoy these debates although I'm sure Bielsa has all of this sorted!

16 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

I have absolutely no idea.  Perhaps time to resurrect the “guess the team” thread that went to four rollovers before I won my own comp!

Great idea - with unknown incomings/outgoings, we could last until the end of September 

Bentley 

hunt         Kalas         Baker         Da silva 

Pack 

CoD        Brownhill      Paterson    Weimann 

Fam  

Bentley 

Hunt Kalas Wright Dasilva 

Smozdics Brownhill 

Weimann  Palmer Eliasson 

Diedhiou 

palmer looks as though he’ll be here before the game and seeing as he knows everyone can’t see why he won’t be able to slot straight in. I’ve left Pack out as he’s been so poor since Man City knocked us out of the cup, you can’t even say he protects the back because he doesn’t. So for anyone saying the 2 CMS wouldn’t be ideal, would it really make a difference if Pack was in there? No. I’ve gone for something that would see us really strong on the attack, quick feet and movement with Fam there for the dirty work. So long as we stay compact and remained focused don’t see why this couldn’t work. It does however show we need a DM. If we get one then I’d drop Palmer and have andi and Eliasson alongside Fam with the DM behind Sammie and Josh. 

Bentley

Hunt      Wright       Kalas        DaSilva

Pack

Brownhill           Szmodics

Weimann                                                               Eliasson

Diedhiou

Archived