IGNORED

We lost a true legend of English football ...

BS4 on Tour...

Some priceless quotes:

"I would have given my right arm to be a pianist."

Talking about England beating Csameroon in the 1990 WC, "We didn't underestimate them. They were just a lot better than we thought".

"I'm not going to look beyond the semi-final, but I would love to lead Newcastle out at the final."

Reporter to Newcastle's Shola Ameobi: "Do you have a nickname?"
Ameobi: "No, not really"
Reporter: "So what does Bobby Robson call you?"
Ameobi: "Carl Cort."

"They're two points behind us, so we're neck and neck."

He had a phenomenal managerial career. During his 13 years at Ipswich he only bought in a handful of players from other clubs, with a conveyor belt of tremendous players coming through the clubs youth system. He was successful on the continent at PSV, Porto and Barcelona as well as taking England to the WC semi final in 1990 and managing his home town club.

A man respected, admired and loved throughout the football world - a rareity in the modern game,

Blimey, can’t believe it’s been 10 years.

What an outstanding career Sir Bobby had, and he was part of the fabric of football. That 1990 World Cup brings back such vivid memories. 

Definitely a legend and seemed to be a gentleman as well in the way he conducted himself. 

A wonderful manager and a wonderful man. One of the true greats of English and European football.

From a City perspective, when I think of Bobby Robson I also think of Alan Dicks. Partly because of their similarities in bringing young players through culminating in the youth Cup final with Ipswich, and partly because there was a time when they were the longest serving managers in the league. 

Greatest tragedy to me was the unbelievable treatment he got from the press leading up to the 1990 world cup.

He felt unsupported by the fa hierarchy and had accepted a job at PSG by the time the final tournament had started in Italy.

Probably the most respected English manager by those that played for him.

Archived