IGNORED

Do we have a sniff of promotion this season?

reddogkev

What are your general thoughts at the moment?  I can't see past Cardiff, Leeds, Fulham to take the coveted places, but as we know, football is never so clear cut.

I reckon we'll fall agonisingly short of the top six again.  Finishing higher might depend on Mark Ashton signing the crucial number 9, or Famara bagging another 6 or 7 goals during the course of the season.

How many of you are tipping City for promotion, or simply making the top six?

24 minutes ago, ScottishRed said:

Can't make a sensible prediction until the window slams shut.

Lots could happen or may not happen in the next few days.

I know what you're saying, but then again it's hard to ever make a sensible prediction when it comes to football, such is the crazy nature of the game.

I like the idea of a rough guess before we play Leeds, because a good win and we'll be promotion certs, take a hammering and it'll be doom n gloom.

2 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

I think the league is wide open this season and there is no team I would tip to go up, or even finish top six,  with any real certainty.

If we replace Webster effectively, get a striker, cover at full back and another option in midfield then I certainly think we have a chance. But so do a lot of other teams.

Unfortunately I disagree when it comes down to one spot, I think Cardiff will smash the league to pieces this season. Very impressed with the quality of their new 5.5million striker, and what a bloody snip of a price!

2 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I know what you're saying, but then again it's hard to ever make a sensible prediction when it comes to football, such is the crazy nature of the game.

I like the idea of a rough guess before we play Leeds, because a good win and we'll be promotion certs, take a hammering and it'll be doom n gloom.

OTIB in a nutshell

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Unfortunately I disagree when it comes down to one spot, I think Cardiff will smash the league to pieces this season. Very impressed with the quality of their new 5.5million striker, and what a bloody snip of a price!

Not many teams have done that in this league. 

1 minute ago, Super said:

Not many teams have done that in this league. 

Wolves did, even with us nipping at their heels until Christmas.  But just take a look at that Cardiff squad, and the thought of Bobby Reid back in the Championship, with Flint no doubt likely to start scoring again and tapping his bloody head every time he does.  With the old warhorse still at the helm, I fear they will be far too strong.  Despite relegation, they were surprisingly good in the Premier League last season.

35 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

Wolves did, even with us nipping at their heels until Christmas.  But just take a look at that Cardiff squad, and the thought of Bobby Reid back in the Championship, with Flint no doubt likely to start scoring again and tapping his bloody head every time he does.  With the old warhorse still at the helm, I fear they will be far too strong.  Despite relegation, they were surprisingly good in the Premier League last season.

We were ujp behind them at at one stage they were dragged back into a title scrap by Cardiff, Fulham and to an extent Aston Villa but yes they were quite a bit too good.

Cardiff are interesting IMO.

You look at their squad from 2017/18 and...

1. Smithies- Upgrade on Etheridge, well you'd assume so anyway.
  2. Flint- Upgrade!
  3. Cunningham- Upgrade at LB maybe, better footballing wise than prior LB in 2017/18 I'd say.
  4. Vaulks- Good addition
  5. Bacuna- Not perhaps as big an upgrade as Vaulks but useful technically.
  6. Murphy- Upgrade
  7. Reid- Upgrade
  8. Tomlin- Wildcard but if he's fit and focused...
  9. Plus this Bundesliga 2 striker- will surely help.

They have lost Manga, Gunnarsson and Zohore yes but I believe them to be quite a bit stronger than 2017/18 and with more footballing possibilities too!

Think they were doing a bit of a Burnley last season and factoring in a quick return but with a much strengthened side. Interesting to note that Colin said it's the strongest ever side at this level that he has had in his view.

Fulham I think will be very strong, I look at them from 2017/18, look at their ethos they have been seeking to return to, yes they lost varied loanees plus loaned out Seri and Anguissa but let's face it they were never going to stick around for Championship- the foreign ones especially. Kept Mitrovic and a full season of him, added Cavaleiro and Knockaert on loan. Lost players too but retained a lot ot that core from 2017/18 and strengthened in varied areas. Taylor-Crossdale is an interesting addition adding depth and competition for Mitrovic. Steven Sessegnon may step up to compete/overtake Christie at RB, but they may lose his brother.

Bar two game changing signings I see a repeat of last season: flirt with promotion/play offs, but ultimately will fall short. 

Fulham and WBA for the autos, Leeds, Boro Cardiff, Brentford for the pray offs, then us, Hull, Preston, Blackburn, Huddersfield, Forest there or there abouts.

Unsure we're yet there for a serious top 2 push, especially if Webster leaves but the next week could change everything.

Will be a big week and could define the season- less upheaval than last summer which augurs well but Webster going a big blow! I'll go with top half/top 10 with a playoff tilt.*

*-Subject to the next 7 days or so!

I guess I'm a little more optimistic than some but I believe the squad we have at the moment is good enough for top 6. I think signing a new striker will put is in the Leeds/Sheffield United scrap for second place, Along with Fulham or Cardiff.Whichever of those we aren't scrapping with will be running away as champions.

I’m probably a lone voice, but I don’t see us going up with our current manager. Yes, we had a decent season last year, but when the crunch games came along we couldn’t get over the line.

I don’t believe we have enough knowhow and experience in the dugout when those crucial decisions are made during a game. 

8 minutes ago, Portland Bill said:

I’m probably a lone voice, but I don’t see us going up with our current manager. Yes, we had a decent season last year, but when the crunch games came along we couldn’t get over the line.

I don’t believe we have enough knowhow and experience in the dugout when those crucial decisions are made during a game. 

ATM we have same again side, with Kelly being the only major loss to date; still need a top striker to make any improvement.

Unless we have a really big moment and sign a real statement striker I don't see it. Largely the same team as last season only looking like Webster may leave and most clubs know how we set up now making us more predictable

5 hours ago, reddogkev said:

What are your general thoughts at the moment?  I can't see past Cardiff, Leeds, Fulham to take the coveted places, but as we know, football is never so clear cut.

I reckon we'll fall agonisingly short of the top six again.  Finishing higher might depend on Mark Ashton signing the crucial number 9, or Famara bagging another 6 or 7 goals during the course of the season.

How many of you are tipping City for promotion, or simply making the top six?

If famara ia the main and only man no chance. Guys useless. If pack plays more than 25 games no chance. If we sigb a number 9 of proven ability and keep playing walsh, palmer, smith when back, eliason more over paterson then yes good chance of top 6. But we are nothing of a great club and dont deserve to be there anymore than 90% of the other clubs in this league

Archived