IGNORED

Kalas, Dasilva and Palmer..

Sturny

1 hour ago, Redwhitepurple said:

'Hats off to mark ashton' ???. You having a laugh. 2 of the players interviewed have said its because lee johnson and bristol city itself. If players want to come they'll come. Waste of city fans money paying ashton

“City fans money”.... :laugh: 

40 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Not that much...£300k I think. LJ is on around £600k, his previous contract was £500k pa.

The £545k is split between two people. MA and JL. Suspect MA takes the vast majority of that half a mill’.  All the other directors are unpaid. 

Side note but othere than Giroud/Basuitable Chelsea have no strikers & Tammy has played the majority of pre season. I know they have a transfer ban but who would've thought 2 years ago Tammy would be Chelsea's main striker already. 

45 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m a bit dissapointed that there’s been no signings since Palmer

Does Mark Ashton not work afternoons or something ffs

I rang him and told him he could have the afternoon off after working so hard. He said thanks and he`ll probably pop off to Weston for an ice cream and a bit of a chill out.

4 minutes ago, Red Right Hand said:

I rang him and told him he could have the afternoon off after working so hard. He said thanks and he`ll probably pop off to Weston for an ice cream and a bit of a chill out.

He asked about potentially being the employee of the week too I presume? I hope you brushed him off and said "Not now Mark" 

4 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Three very decent signings but the holes in our squad are still there.
Lacking at RB and up top and potentially short with a proper tough-tackling midfielder unless we get Korey back to full fitness.

Still time to complete the squad and it’s been a decent summer so far, but if the window shut this afternoon I’d be feeling a bit disappointed.

I agree, however if you look who we’ve been linked to all summer with Moore and Arsenal kid up front, the Charlton right back I’ve seen today, it’s not like these positions have been ignored, just seals not over the line.

Id prefer us to get the right player even if it is a day before the season starts than the wrong player.

5 hours ago, spudski said:

MA is Marmite on here...but love him or loath him, he's doing a Vital job for the Club. Taking away pressure off LJ and allowing him to concentrate on Coaching.

Regardless of his huge salary...600k is it? His negotiating skills in doing deals seem impressive...just got to forget the odd dodgy one's that haven't worked out. Few and far between.

Over the summer I was chatting with someone who's encountered MA's negotiating skills - they couldn't have spoken more highly of him. I'm no great fan of his style, always sounds insincere to me, but the conversation changed my view of him. He's done great business for us and I was left in no doubt that you'd want him on your side in any deal making.

The challenge is going to be for LJ and his coaching and man management. I've seen the friendlies at Wimbledon, FGR and the Palace match and other than getting the ball wide and crossing into the box (almost regardless of whether there is anyone there to deal with it) I'd struggle to identify a 'system' that we're playing...unless the system is itself constant change and fluidity. Many of us noted the near continuous positional rotation of players at the FGR game. This is a big season for LJ, much will depend on how he uses the clubs he has 'in the bag' - as he likes to put it. He's certainly getting more of them.

1 hour ago, grifty said:

I agree, however if you look who we’ve been linked to all summer with Moore and Arsenal kid up front, the Charlton right back I’ve seen today, it’s not like these positions have been ignored, just seals not over the line.

Id prefer us to get the right player even if it is a day before the season starts than the wrong player.

Yep totally agree, just not getting ahead of myself. I've been burned by the football mistress too many times.

43 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Over the summer I was chatting with someone who's encountered MA's negotiating skills - they couldn't have spoken more highly of him. I'm no great fan of his style, always sounds insincere to me, but the conversation changed my view of him. He's done great business for us and I was left in no doubt that you'd want him on your side in any deal making.

The challenge is going to be for LJ and his coaching and man management. I've seen the friendlies at Wimbledon, FGR and the Palace match and other than getting the ball wide and crossing into the box (almost regardless of whether there is anyone there to deal with it) I'd struggle to identify a 'system' that we're playing...unless the system is itself constant change and fluidity. Many of us noted the near continuous positional rotation of players at the FGR game. This is a big season for LJ, much will depend on how he uses the clubs he has 'in the bag' - as he likes to put it. He's certainly getting more of them.

Interesting, I get the impression he takes a "polite but firm" approach to negotiating. I imagine he is clear in what he wants, clear in what he offers and doesn't mess people around. In return he doesn't tolerate those who try to mess him around. Does that tally with what your friend said?

20 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

Interesting, I get the impression he takes a "polite but firm" approach to negotiating. I imagine he is clear in what he wants, clear in what he offers and doesn't mess people around. In return he doesn't tolerate those who try to mess him around. Does that tally with what your friend said?

Yes - and I got the impression that MA was ambitious. Ambitious for the club. Trying to make deals which were perhaps unexpected.

And I was also left with the strong impression that in the football world it was recognised that City were on the up...and that the deal that needed to be made was a 20 goal a season striker who might turn us into promotion contenders.

59 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Well I think we now have a good balance in recruiting, scouting, analysis and coaching...all working together. You've only got to read about Spurs and their recruitment policy and how it's having a negative effect on their coach. You need everyone singing off the same hymn sheet and in agreement, which is how I see us right now.

As for LJ...man management it seems is even more important these days, and why I think it's a good idea to have a youngish staff who can relate.

As for our friendlies I'm under the impression it was a case of experimenting. It all looked very half hearted and relaxed.

I'd be really pissed off if we play pretty football up to the final third, breaking through lines, only to put it out wide to Eliasson to cross hopefully into the box.

7 hours ago, Robin1988 said:

Three very decent signings but the holes in our squad are still there.
Lacking at RB and up top and potentially short with a proper tough-tackling midfielder unless we get Korey back to full fitness.

Still time to complete the squad and it’s been a decent summer so far, but if the window shut this afternoon I’d be feeling a bit disappointed.

Agree totally. Disappointing and not the bold activity we were promised. 

We will end up with the same team on the pitch as last year so how is that progress?

still lacking in vital areas, mainly upfront and a defensive midfielder assuming Korey will be a long term absentee.

hope something pulled out of the bag over the next few days as this team is a midtable team at best.

6 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

I’m a bit dissapointed that there’s been no signings since Palmer

Does Mark Ashton not work afternoons or something ffs

Gone home to keep an eye on his wife.

Re signing all three....back in May I thought all 3 would be back (hoped rather than expected).  As each week / month has gone on, it’s looked less and less likely, as bits of news filtered through.

Dasilva wanted to wait until after the u21s....cue bigger clubs coming in for him

Kalas rumoured to be interesting several clubs across Europe

Palmer linked to Norwich, Sheff Utd etc, then Swansea.

But ultimately all three have signed.  The fact that some are bemoaning Palmer shows me how far we have come.  He is a recent Eng u21 international, just 22 years old, with lots of potential.  He can play at this level undoubtedly, how integral he can be we will need to wait and see.

Re Dasilva...21, current Eng u21 international....£2m....wow.

Kalas....26....Czech international (a tidy nation)....breaking our highest transfer fee.

Back to Palmer, listen to his interview, he wants to be here, is a family man, looking to settle...that bodes well.

Archived