IGNORED

First game of the season memories

myol'man

It's that time of year again, Christmas Eve for football fans, which leads me to ask;

What are your memories of the first game of the season?

For me it has to be the 21st August 1976, I'd been watching City struggling in mid table of the second division since I was a kid in the late sixties, when all of a sudden we were on the way to Highbury to take on Arsenal. No one gave us a chance, they had just signed SuperMac, we were a bunch of bumpkins coming up to the smoke for a hiding.

Up jumps big Cheese and the rest is history

COYR :banana:

1 minute ago, myol'man said:

It's that time of year again, Christmas Eve for football fans, which leads me to ask;

For me it has to be the 21st August 1976, I'd been watching City struggling in mid table of the second division since I was a kid in the late sixties, when all of a sudden we were on the way to Highbury to take on Arsenal. No one gave us a chance, they had just signed SuperMac, we were a bunch of bumpkins coming up to the smoke for a hiding.

That simply has to be the most notable in our lifetimes

The Blackburn 4-2 game in hot sunshine 90/91 always high in my memories - Electric game and buzz around the Gate

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

That simply has to be the most notable in our lifetimes

The Blackburn 4-2 game in hot sunshine 90/91 always high in my memories - Electric game and buzz around the Gate

I was going to post the exact game. David speedie up front for Blackburn. 

Was going to say Blackburn 4-2

Sheff Utd away in THAT season, described as a team of barneys as we emerged in purple and lime.

Northamption away, Thorpe quick fire hat trick. at least I think that was an opening game!!!!

Pompey home, Jacki with the 1st minute goal, the first goal of that league season if I recall.

City 0-3 Millwall always sticks in my mind for some reason. All of the anticipation from the summer, Steve Coppell taking the reigns and also the signing of David James (Michael Owen rumours etc).

All to come crashing back down to earth by being hammered by newly promoted Millwall.

3 minutes ago, cider hoss rules said:

Was going to say Blackburn 4-2

Sheff Utd away in THAT season, described as a team of barneys as we emerged in purple and lime.

Northamption away, Thorpe quick fire hat trick. at least I think that was an opening game!!!!

Pompey home, Jacki with the 1st minute goal, the first goal of that league season if I recall.

Portsmouth game finished 3-3 if I recall. Very lively game on and off the pitch 

12 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

City 0-3 Millwall always sticks in my mind for some reason. All of the anticipation from the summer, Steve Coppell taking the reigns and also the signing of David James (Michael Owen rumours etc).

All to come crashing back down to earth by being hammered by newly promoted Millwall.

That game almost caused me a heart attack. I've never felt such anger and disappoint in all my life than after that game. As you highlighted, all the hype and buildup all summer came crumbling down within a few games.

7 minutes ago, Red Army 87 said:

Yeah sell out home crowd with a proven second tier manager. A few days later he left after a defeat in the cup to Southend. Those last couple of seasons in the championship felt soulless.

26 minutes ago, myol'man said:

We won’t beat that one - the best opening day to a season ever! And didn’t we warm up for it with three Anglo-Scottish Cup games in that August as well?! I could be wrong ...

12 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Just in case anyone is impatient for football and wants to relive a few memories

Thanks for posting this. Forgotten how good this was - start watching at 01.12.45 and the next 5 minutes are priceless. What a good side we had then.

What we currently need to find is another Bob Taylor! How well he takes that first goal.

Archived