IGNORED

The Fantastical Fantasies of OTIB (A Game)

RedYoshi

As Bristol City fans, we’re all fantasists to some degree, right?

Come, therefore, and indulge your fantasies with a new game:

Fantasy Bristol City (#FBC) - Triple Threat Edition

A standard fantasy football game, but City specific, in which you pick three City players each match (one defender, one midfielder, one forward) and battle it out to see whose fantasy is the most fantastical come the end of the season. Hashtags non-mandatory.

Importantly less labour intensive than a foolishly complicated prediction league I once heard about, the rules are relatively simple:

• Pick three players per match (defender, midfielder, forward),
  • Choose a captain (scores double points),
  • You cannot pick the same player for more than two consecutive matches,
  • Watch the points roll in.

Points System (same as FPL)

• Play < 60mins: 1pt
  • Play > 60mins: 2pts
  • Defender goal: 6pts
  • Midfielder goal: 5pts
  • Forward goal: 4pts
  • Assist: 3pts
  • Clean sheet (DEF): 4pts
  • Clean sheet (MID): 1pt
  • Penalty miss: -2pts
  • Every 2 conceded (DEF): -1pt
  • Yellow card: -1pt
  • Red card: -3pts
  • Own goal: -2pts
  • Bonus (best 3 City players in match): 1-3pts based on the player ratings from whoscored.com

Obviously, with a much smaller pool of players than normal fantasy games, it runs the risk of everyone getting the same points most matches. Fear not, comrades! Firstly, such limited parameters ensure the league stays as interesting and competitive as possible for as long as possible. Secondly, I trialed it last season on a smaller scale and the variety in points was pleasantly surprising. Thirdly, there will also be some fantastical “chips” (because they still don’t have them DMS) to add in a bit more unpredictability and strategy, as follows:

Chips

• Triple Captain: Not to be confused with triple points for your one captain, this means that all three of your players are captained, doubling your entire points haul for the week. Phwoar!
  • Overload: This allows you to choose all three players from just one position (i.e. 3 defenders, 3 midfielders, or 3 forwards).
  • Best Of: Instead of choosing a specific player, you can pick the “best of” a certain position, and you will automatically be given the best performing defender, midfielder, or forward for that match.

Each chip can be played twice throughout the season (once before Christmas, once after). Use them wisely, you crazy cats.

Match Deadline & Substitutes

A couple of options here - I’ll go with the consensus.

Option 1: Deadline at kick off. If entering your team before the line-up is announced, you can include a substitute for each position. Sub will come on if first choice is not starting but sub is. If neither start, sub only comes on if first choice doesn’t play at all.

Option 2: Deadline an hour before kick off (pre-line-up). Subs allowed, but only come on if first choice doesn’t play at all.

Option 1 lessens both the requirement to predict LJ’s tombola/careful & meticulous strategic planning (depending on your own view) and my personal workload (though don’t let my bias influence you...) but gives a slight advantage to those who enter later. Option 2 is more in line with typical FPL rules, but increases chances of people missing out on points.

You decide!

Think that covers everything. So sign up now! All welcome, can join in at any point, just don’t come near me with any of those inappropriate fantasies please. That’s for a different thread.

Any questions or suggestions welcome, but for now just get involved. It probably won’t be perfect, but hey, it’s a bit of fun “innit”? And lord knows we’ll need that in the dark days of November when we haven’t won in 6 matches, Mark Ashton is a fraud again, and rumours abound that Pack gave Szmodics a smack, before Flint comes back and blunts our attack, all our plans begin to crack... Oh crap, are we really about to put ourselves through it all again? Gulp.

3 minutes ago, jrt55555 said:

Not sure it qualifies as being simple or non labour intensive but sounds like fun so I'd be game. Sign me up ?

Option 1 or 2 sounds fine to me so not too fussed but maybe option 2 is simpler.

Haha - the key word being “less” as opposed to “non”. I’m sure I’ll end up 4 matches behind at some point, and start regretting the whole thing, but for now the optimism of a new season is strong within me...

Welcome aboard!

For the avoidance of doubt (& now Webster has definitely left) here’s your choice of players:

Defenders

Baker, Dasilva, Hunt, Kalas, Moore, Vyner, Wright

Midfielders

Adelakun, Bakinson, Brownhill, Eliasson, O’Dowda, Pack, Palmer, Paterson, Rowe, Smith, Szmodics, Walsh, Watkins

Forwards

Diédhiou, Janneh, Semenyo, Taylor, Weimann

Haven't missed anyone, have I? Or does anyone disagree with position assignments? Will update with new signings as and when they happen...

Welcome back to the role of organiser of my new weekly obsession. Missed you Redyoshi. First up, I'll go for a team of Dasilva, Eliasson, Dièdhiou and subs of Hunt, Palmer, Weimann.

I think option 2 is easiest all round. Happy with the player positions. Will they stay like that all season for consistency or if LJ decides to do a Bobby Reid with KP, will he become a striker?

2 hours ago, citywest30 said:

Welcome back to the role of organiser of my new weekly obsession. Missed you Redyoshi. First up, I'll go for a team of Dasilva, Eliasson, Dièdhiou and subs of Hunt, Palmer, Weimann.

I think option 2 is easiest all round. Happy with the player positions. Will they stay like that all season for consistency or if LJ decides to do a Bobby Reid with KP, will he become a striker?

Aw shucks. Glad to be of service! Yeah will stick with these positions, much like in FPL when a defender suddenly ends up playing as an attacking left winger and everyone suddenly has him in their team.

2 hours ago, Chessels Chick said:

So who won it last season??? #mymoneysonmaria

#YouWouldWinAllTheMoney. Runaway champion. Your turn this year..?

1 hour ago, CiderJar said:

I wondered what you'd been doing all summer :) 

Spreadsheets 4 lyfe.

53 minutes ago, jrt55555 said:

How do we submit our choices? Just post on here?

Yeah just whack it in here whenever you’re feeling lucky. Was considering a different thread for each match, but seems a bit of a waste of time - just keep it all in one grand thread and save clogging up the forum.

@citywest30 - who’s your captain?

3 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

Yeah just whack it in here whenever you’re feeling lucky. Was considering a different thread for each match, but seems a bit of a waste of time - just keep it all in one grand thread and save clogging up the forum.

@citywest30 - who’s your captain?

Thanks mate had forgotten that bit. Very kind of you to prompt me. I'll go for Dièdhiou. 

9 hours ago, NNSnse said:

Think you can sign me up.

What happens if your captain doesn't play? Forgo the double points? Or is the sub automatically captain?

Good question. Could do vice-captain picks too I guess - but if no VC specified, it’ll default to the sub.

@citywest30 @jrt55555 @hodge @Chessels Chick feel free to add a VC if you so desire.

1 minute ago, RedYoshi said:

Good question. Could do vice-captain picks too I guess - but if no VC specified, it’ll default to the sub.

@citywest30 @jrt55555 @hodge @Chessels Chick feel free to add a VC if you so desire.

Ok VC on Diedhiou then.

One other thing I wondered - your rule about not being allowed to pick someone for more than two weeks in a row - does that include players picked as subs?

1 minute ago, jrt55555 said:

Ok VC on Diedhiou then.

One other thing I wondered - your rule about not being allowed to pick someone for more than two weeks in a row - does that include players picked as subs?

Hmm, good point. Only applies if the sub was required - so say I have Weimann for two matches (and he plays both), then Taylor, I could have Diédhiou as sub all three games. But if Weimann didn’t play, and Diédhiou came on for the first two weeks, then I wouldn’t be able to pick him as sub for Taylor. If I did, and Taylor didn’t play, I’d effectively not have a sub.

Hope that closes the Diédhiou (Weimann), Diédhiou (Weimann), Janneh (Diédhiou) loophole...!

Lovely jubbly - keep ‘em coming!

Just to confirm, deadline today is 16.30 - KICK OFF.

May well switch it to an hour before for later matches, will see how it goes, but want to give as many people as possible a chance to play seeing as I only posted it yesterday.

Doesn’t change anything for those of you who have already entered, other than giving you the option to edit once the lineup’s out and you’re cursing LJ for not picking any of your players.

Well, no points for City yet, but points galore in here!

Here’s the fledgling table:

7E1C3144-9789-4FFC-9AB2-672C5C29D3BE.jpeg.9a693b1b0ec5f19c3a04881a3c2590f8.jpeg

Weimann making all the difference this week, with @hodge, @jrt55555, & @Chessels Chick receiving 18 points from their well selected captain. In fact, only one player selected Weimann but didn’t trust him with the armband - how nonsensical of @NNSnse...

Meanwhile, though it seemed like I was helping them out, @hodge and @citywest30 will be cursing me over Eliasson, as he managed to rack up an assist and a bonus point in his brief appearance from the bench. Oops.

The rest of us? A stuttering start, but hey - Reading once lost their first game and then stormed to the title with 106pts so... #AllToPlayFor. #Hashtag.

If you’re interested, a rundown of the points this week:

1. Weimann 9
  2. Eliasson 5
  3. Diédhiou 4
  4. Brownhill 2
  5. O’Dowda 2
  6. Dasilva 1
  7. Hunt 1
  8. Kalas 1
  9. Moore 1
  10. Pack 1
  11. Palmer 1