IGNORED

The Fantastical Fantasies of OTIB (A Game)

RedYoshi

Gameweek 45 Update - The End Is Nigh

The end of the unbeaten run (just 3 games? Oh, for a streaky Lee), the end of several players & staff (their time at the club, not lives), and the end of our fantasies. All of it, nigh.

Still, before you know it we’ll be ludicrously optimistic about having the best chance in a generation of storming the league, with a new, fresh head manager coach and bold new signings, or something along all of those lines made of summer abandon.

In a way, it’s quite refreshing to have a match with nothing riding on it for once.

Well, nothing but the culmination of the Run-In Cup AND the entire league. SHAKE IT LIKE YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT ITS PROTECTION.

Here’s how it all stands:

The Compensation Charity Plate Invitational Playoff (2nd leg of 3)

@bcfctim 0 (18) - (18) 11 @bissellredhead: as mentioned, this match-up all comes down to the final game, as a shrewd Kalas pick (only he and Vyner exceeded 2pts) helped Bissell to the 11pts needed to close the gap on Tim. It helps when the opposition don’t turn up - literally. Don’t miss out @bcfctim!

Reverse semi-finals (2nd leg):

@Chessels Chick 2 (8) - (14) 8 @Chivs: a captain missing a penalty is never what you want, least of all in a tight reverse semi-final. Had he scored, Diédhiou would’ve helped Chessels to the win, but instead Chivs saunters on with a solid 8pts.

@jrt55555 12 (23) - (18) 4 @Dogbert: with jrt’s TC chip earning the highest score of the week, it also helped overturn the deficit from the first leg, as another Diédhiou selection left Dogbert wondering what might have been.

Semi-finals (2nd leg):

@RedYoshi 7 (35) - (18) 10 @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap: a solid second leg victory for LJFC, courtesy of another shrewd defensive pick in the form of Vyner, but not enough to earn a place in the final. I’m just living off the luck of the first leg.

@citywest30 8 (19) - (22) 5 @Oubliette23: the only Overload of the week, Oubliette’s plan didn’t quite pay off, with Diédhiou’s penalty again having an impact. This opened the door for citywest, who gave it a darn good go, but just fell short - a Kalas pick would’ve levelled the aggregate score, but it wasn’t quite to be.

And so, the final line up:

7th/8th place playoff: @Chessels Chick v @Dogbert

5th/6th place playoff: @Chivs v @jrt55555

3rd place playoff: @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap v @citywest30

Grand Final: @RedYoshi v @Oubliette23

Will Oubliette sweep all the honours for the season, or can I nab it at the death (and thus probably just strengthen Oubliette’s resolve to do even better next season...)?

We’re about to find out.

A364C456-D4F9-453F-80D8-E26C5FA6424D.thumb.jpeg.ac6a244ff14c047d180c440663c2d7ab.jpeg

I think it’s pretty safe to say who’s going to take the title - the question that remains is will our champion reach 800? Meanwhile, they might only be playing for 7th place in the cup, but there’s a big battle for 4th also at stake between Chessels and Dogbert.

And @jrt55555 - I’ll leave it up to you if I accept the double chip playing of @Chivs as, again, you’re up against each other both in the cup and for 7th in the league. I know how much this means to everyone...

Let’s sign off in style!

GW45 Points Breakdown 

1. Kalas 5
  2. Vyner 4
  3. Afobe 2
  4. Dasilva 2
  5. Paterson 2
  6. Smith 2
  7. Weimann 2
  8. Wells 2
  9. Williams 2
  10. Eliasson 1
  11. Hunt 1
  12. Palmer 1
  13. Pereira 1
  14. Watkins 1
  15. Diédhiou -1

25 minutes ago, LeeJohnsonsFlatCap said:

Can I use every single chip I have please mate might as well now

Kalas (Vyner)

Smith VC (Eliasson)

Fammy C (Wells)

I shall allow it - only trouble is, your remaining chips are Overload (select all 3 from the same position) and Best Of, which don’t necessarily combine well (and won’t apply to the given team above!).

I can add Best Of instead of Fam p’raps, so you’ve got best forward points captained? Or you can Overload and include Best Of as one of the picks?

6 minutes ago, RedYoshi said:

I shall allow it - only trouble is, your remaining chips are Overload (select all 3 from the same position) and Best Of, which don’t necessarily combine well (and won’t apply to the given team above!).

I can add Best Of instead of Fam p’raps, so you’ve got best forward points captained? Or you can Overload and include Best Of as one of the picks?

Best of please mate for Fam

Gameweek 46 Update - Full Time

A week since the inevitable underwhelming game against Preston, which had been coming since the fixtures were released last June, and I guess it’s time to finally bid farewell to the season.

Bit wary of posting anything that isn’t a confirmation of a new head coach though, as seemingly we should have a complete and utter lack of any communication unless it’s that one specific thing. At least according to the club’s Twitter replies.

But enough about real life. This is just fantasy. Caught in a landslide.

Firstly, thanks for playing. It’s been an honour.

Secondly, congratulations, you all win in my book.

Thirdly, get on with it.

The Run In Cup

The Compensation Charity Plate Invitational Playoff (3rd leg)

@bcfctim 0 (18) - (43) 25 @bissellredhead: it was invitation to which Tim didn’t RSVP. Bissell took advantage, partying hard with an Overload of forwards, and with Weimann setting up captain Diédhiou for the only City goal it was a glorious hangover-less morning after. We missed ya Tim, but as a late entry I look forward to a longer campaign next season!

7th/8th Place Playoff

@Chessels Chick 15 - 6 @Dogbert: from the beach to 7th heaven for Chessels, while Dogbert faced the cruel realities of the cup. Second highest score in the first round, and yet left with the wooden spoon in the end. At least that can help bake up some “cheer me up” brownies. Both had Dasilva & Pato, but with Dogbert’s captain Afobe only making a cameo from the bench, Chessels could sail off to victory with Diédhiou leading the line (even if Pato was captain).

5th/6th Place Playoff

@Chivs 30 - 0 @jrt55555: our highest score of the final match, Chivs got all dolled up with an Overload & Triple Captain, only for their blind date to stand them up. A Fam-Andi double whammy brought the magic, and only Wells replacing Afobe would’ve made it any better. Commiserations to jrt, but as one of our early league leaders I’m sure we’ll see a strong 2nd season after a condensed pre-season.

3rd Place Playoff

@LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 22 - 8 @citywest30: after an exceptional return to action, claiming the most points in games played since GW35 v Huddersfield, LJFC deservedly takes the bronze medal - even without a midfielder. With both benefitting from Kalas’ two bonus points, citywest nudged two ahead courtesy of Paterson over LJFC’s Smith/Eliasson no show. Thus, the last minute replacement of Diédhiou for Best Of saw Diédhiou come straight back in and claim the win, as citywest joined Dogbert in the Benik blank box.

Final

@RedYoshi v @Oubliette23: if I didn’t know any better, I’d be at the back shouting “FIX!” with the rest of you. We’re sorry. But here we are, in a bit of a grudge match to polish off the season, and possibly see Oubliette claim the treble. Both of us had Paterson in the middle, and with me wasting the armband on him it was potentially advantage Oubliette. Kalas helped me out at the back though, with double Dasilva’s points, so it all came down to our forward options. Diédhiou’s 9pts topped me up to 17, but if Oubliette had given him the captaincy it was game, set and match...

It went to Wells, though. Dominant throughout the rest of the season, Oubliette maybe relaxed at the last minute, handing me a 17 - 8 victory and charitably giving some success to someone else.

I thank you, I thank you :winner_third_h4h:

I also dedicate the win to all of you. Seriously, thanks for playing.

Here’s how the bread and butter ended up:

E6759BFF-847F-4E3D-AB89-F8622D104898.thumb.jpeg.b722b1f1606d2f331845811a99b41444.jpeg

The 800 mark may have been just out of reach, but an outstanding season from our official inaugural champion:

:bounce::bounce:Oubliette23:bounce::bounce:

Citywest successfully fends off the challenge for 3rd, as Chessels does the same for 4th. Bissell finishes agonisingly short of the 600, while the only change on the final day sees Chivs take 7th as well as 5th from jrt55555.

Still, 5 Manager of the Month awards (yep, July too), a cup & the league - as well as the highest individual gameweek score - this season has been all Oubliette23. We are not worthy.

Congratulations to all, see you in... a few weeks, I guess?!

GW46 Points Breakdown

1. Diédhiou 9
  2. Weimann 5
  3. Kalas 4
  4. Dasilva 2
  5. Nagy 2
  6. Paterson 2
  7. Pereira 2
  8. Vyner 2
  9. Wells 2
  10. Williams 2
  11. Afobe 1
  12. Benković 1
  13. Palmer 1

Good effort @RedYoshiand congratulations to @Oubliette23 

I've sacked the manager and hope to have a new one in place by start of season. About to do second interview from short list of 6-8 although that depends on which media outlet you read - but can confirm no internal appointment as I would have given Fammy the armband last match (hopefully not his last match for us mind!)

OTIB Fantasy Stat Attack

Some potentially interesting (but probably only to me) statistics & summaries from the season. Strap in!

Highest Scorers

1. Diédhiou 164
  2. Weimann 158
  3. Eliasson 139
  4. Brownhill 112
  5. Hunt 108

Lowest Scorers

1. Taylor 0
  2. Pack 1
  3. Szmodics 3
  4. Rodri 5
  5. Henriksen 7

Highest PPG

1. Paterson 4.05
  2. Diédhiou 4.00
  3. Brownhill 4.00
  4. Eliasson 3.76
  5. Weimann 3.51

Lowest PPG

1. Taylor 0.00
  2. Rodri 0.83
  3. Pack, Szmodics 1.00
  4. Semenyo 1.11
  5. Henriksen 1.75

Highest Individual GW Scorers

1. 15 - Eliasson (GW19 v Huddersfield)
  2. 14 - Hunt (GW25 v Luton), Weimann (GW43 v Middlesbrough)
  3. 13 - Afobe (GW5 v Hull), Brownhill (GW19 v Huddersfield), Paterson (GW42 v Hull)
  4. 12 - Eliasson (GW24 v Charlton), Diédhiou (GW27 v Wigan, GW32 v Derby), Dasilva (GW28 v Barnsley)
  5. 11 - Hunt (GW4 v Derby), Eliasson (GW15 v Barnsley), Brownhill (GW16 v Cardiff) Paterson (GW27 v Wigan), Pereira (GW36 v Millwall), Diédhiou (GW42 v Hull), Wells (GW43 v Middlesbrough), Benković (GW44 v Stoke)

Most Selected

1. Diédhiou (153 times)
  2. Weimann (137)
  3. Eliasson (92)
  4. Williams (85)
  5. Dasilva (83)

Most Captained

1. Diédhiou (92)
  2. Weimann (79)
  3. Wells (41)
  4. Eliasson (38)
  5. Afobe (32)

Highest GW Totals

1. @Oubliette23 64 (GW19 v Huddersfield)
  2. @citywest30 44 (GW19 v Huddersfield)
  3. @bissellredhead 43 (GW19 v Huddersfield - sensing a theme...)
  4. @Chessels Chick @RedYoshi 41 (GW19 v Huddersfield)
  5. @Chessels Chick @Dogbert @Oubliette23 37 (GW42 v Hull)

PPG Table

As the only two who played every game, it was perhaps inevitable that @Oubliette23 and I finished at the top, so here’s how it would have looked had a pandemic caused our season to resolve itself on a points per game basis:

1. @Oubliette23 16.96
  2. @Tom Fleuriot 15.88
  3. @RedYoshi 15.76
  4. @Dogbert 15.51
  5. @citywest30 15.49
  6. @LeeJohnsonsFlatCap 14.94
  7. @Chessels Chick 14.77
  8. @bissellredhead 14.17
  9. @Chivs 14.13
  10. @Lrrr 13.79
  11. @jrt55555 13.20
  12. @NNSnse 12.25
  13. @Septic Peg 12.17
  14. @bcfctim 12.00

Managers of the Month

August: @citywest30

September: @Oubliette23

October: @citywest30 (2)

November: @bissellredhead

December: @Dogbert

January: @Oubliette23 (2)

February: @Oubliette23 (3)

March (ha!): @RedYoshi

April/May: N/A (or EVERYONE)

June: @jrt55555 & @Oubliette23 (4)

July: @Oubliette23 (5)

Already have a few tweaks in mind for next season, but lemme know any suggestions you’ve got to improve/develop the game. #ForThePlayersByThePlayers or something...

Cheers!

12 hours ago, bissellredhead said:

Thank you @RedYoshi for all the hard work you put into this throughout the season!

It certainly made the season a lot more interesting! 

already looking forward to next season. Maybe we could have a random bonus option for each game? Something like predict number of yellow cards/fouls etc 

Hmm, quite like the alternative prediction element, so if I can work out a way to add it with a minimum of effort that may be an option. Did make something of a rod for my own back previously though, when I ran the prediction league a few years back and added all manner of weird and wonderful things to guess... Trying to not get pulled down a similar rabbit hole of extra work this time!

Good idea though, I’ll have a ponder. Others up for this sort of thing, or prefer simplicity?

Look forward to you blooding your youth team next season Bissell, giving young Robyn a few picks along the way :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, RedYoshi said:

Hmm, quite like the alternative prediction element, so if I can work out a way to add it with a minimum of effort that may be an option. Did make something of a rod for my own back previously though, when I ran the prediction league a few years back and added all manner of weird and wonderful things to guess... Trying to not get pulled down a similar rabbit hole of extra work this time!

Good idea though, I’ll have a ponder. Others up for this sort of thing, or prefer simplicity?

Look forward to you blooding your youth team next season Bissell, giving young Robyn a few picks along the way :thumbsup:

I'm up for the "How many red cards will Ashley Williams receive in this game" option.  I reckon I might make some points.

Archived