IGNORED

New Signing needed

class not gas

6 minutes ago, class not gas said:

I'm a fan of quality footballers in a team playing quality football and really enjoyed Websters performances, I've supported them from Div 1 to Div 4 and some of the football I've seen has been dire.

But with the money we can buy even more quality footballers for you to enjoy watching.

39 minutes ago, Redandwhitescarf said:

Agree that it needs to be thought out carefully and not making a signing for the sake of it. I’d rather we played tomorrow without any ‘big’ announcement, we’ve got a young side who should be right up for it  - ‘Big’ team and on TV,,  Yes we need a couple of signings but for the current players there is the opportunity to be  a regular name  on the team sheet.

Notwithstanding any announcement or lack of one , I expect fans to be scanning the crowds tomorrow for any potential signings. The rumour mill will be in overload!

I believe Emma Britton (Radio Bristol) is going to be there tomorrow.

That would be a bold (though very strange) signing.

4 minutes ago, class not gas said:

Did you go through 82, when they tried  to take Ashton gate of us, dont think so or you would hate them too. No I dont think that but get upset when someone accuses  me as a Gas head.

Never heard about the gas trying to get the gate. What’s the story behind this ?

When the council offered us help Rovers moaned and said they should receive  the same money the council were prepared to give us, so council had to back out from helping us, then they tried to buy the gate for a knockdown price as they knew we were desperate  for money. We all know what happened next with the 8 players tearing up there contracts. But in our moment of despair the gas vultures were hovering.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

So we should just make a signing, any signing, just so we have a new recruit for 2moro?

MA, send me a PM and I can meet you in the car park in 5 minutes. I'll need XXXL shirt/shorts for the intro video - happy to do this from the roof if you can carry me up there, otherwise we can just green screen it and the media dept can fake it up later. I'll take a 12 month deal for whatever Gareth Bale's earns in a week.

Standing by.

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

If your not feeling extremely delighted that we have received a record transfer fee of 20+ million for a player we paid 3 million for then you don't share the same passion as I do for Bristol City.

Thats ridiculous IMHO........Websters probably the best footballer we have had at Ashton Gate in the past 40 years, and now a team with the best 2 central defenders in the championshio has been split up and our tactics changed a few days before the season.. We will no longer  have the pleasure of watching Webster play week in week out, developing even further, and possibly contributing to us reaching the Prem.  A few weeks ago we were looking forward to possibly Buying/loaning a Premiershio striker, and facing Leeds with a new goalcorer and a rock solid defence........now we face them without our best player AND no new forward, and with,  a completely different mood around the club?   I read in a Quality Saturday newspaper today, that a feature journalist cannot understand why Arsenal didn't come in for him, as he is just the type of player who would suit them (No doubt they;ll buy him for 60 mill in a couple pf years, when Brighton are unable to turn down offers?  No u don't share the same passion for Bristol City if you cannot appreciate what we have just lost, Websters don't come along very often. But then you would rather have the money, rather than an exceptional player who we built the side around?  Sorry you just don't get it.?

8 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Thats ridiculous IMHO........Websters probably the best footballer we have had at Ashton Gate in the past 40 years, and now a team with the best 2 central defenders in the championshio has been split up and our tactics changed a few days before the season.. We will no longer  have the pleasure of watching Webster play week in week out, developing even further, and possibly contributing to us reaching the Prem.  A few weeks ago we were looking forward to possibly Buying/loaning a Premiershio striker, and facing Leeds with a new goalcorer and a rock solid defence........now we face them without our best player AND no new forward, and with,  a completely different mood around the club?   I read in a Quality Saturday newspaper today, that a feature journalist cannot understand why Arsenal didn't come in for him, as he is just the type of player who would suit them (No doubt they;ll buy him for 60 mill in a couple pf years, when Brighton are unable to turn down offers?  No u don't share the same passion for Bristol City if you cannot appreciate what we have just lost, Websters don't come along very often. But then you would rather have the money, rather than an exceptional player who we built the side around?  Sorry you just don't get it.?

Halalula, somebody else who feels the same.

2 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Yea as it gives us money to invest in other talents that we can then develop. 

We keep doing this cycle and eventually we will get to where we want to be. 

Pretty sure this is how Southampton got back to the premier League.

Had we not sold him, it would have effectively been like we had brought him for 20 million because there was a 20 million offer on the table for him. 

He could turn out to be a one season wonder or got a career ending injury. 

I smell gas.

The Southampton model of development was very different. It was based upon always having a procession of academy developed players ready for the squad, first team and being regulars in the first team. Bristol City in comparison would be held up as a failure of development as it has no academy developed players in its XI and nowhere near 50% of its squad being academy products.

9 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sell best players, buy not so good players and make them better, then repeat; where in this round-about do we stick and build a team to take on the prem? you know like the likes of Brighton, Bournemouth, Palace and others have done.

Still not too late to go for it this season money in the bank etc but not too many days left.

The 3 Chelski players will be gone in a heartbeat unless we kick on and soon. :fingerscrossed:

Convinced that the business we do (or don't) in the next 6 days will define our season. Early days, obviously, but some surprising results today suggest that the Championship may be ultra competitive this year. Last years (comparative) success was built around our defence, so Webster is a huge loss. Personally, I'm more relaxed than most about promotion, as long as relegation is not a stress and we avoid those soul destroying runs of defeats. At this moment I can't shift the nagging worry that we may be panic buying in January, but this could change by Friday. What has changed is my view of LJ - if the wheels come off (not in any sense impossible) we will have to have sympathy for a manger whose lost his best player (s) 4 close seasons in a row. 

30 minutes ago, maxjak said:

FWIW, I am disappointed by both Kelly and Webster leaving, but i’m Prepared to wait to see who we get in (I do expect there to be someone by Thursday).

If it’s Hector for around £5m I will be very happy.

Imagine the scenes, half time tomorrow, Dwight Gayle announced. The fans sing his name for the entire second half. City put on a blistering performance to earn the 3 points. OTIB erupts with positive comments.

(we can only dream)

In all seriousness Gayle seems to be on wages that most teams in this league would baulk at. And I am struggling to think of many prem players that would be exciting that are curently not in their teams plans. 

Vydra - knows the league, I feel would be interested in coming to us, but again large wages.

Wickham - not excited by that prospect in the slightest.

Austin - would love us to get him if it was a loan, wages are astronomical.

Wells - could suit the system and is a player who works hard for the team. But does not guarantee a good goal return.

Niasee - no thank you and again I imagine wages are high.

Hogan - not consistent

Kodjia - would take him back, only worry would be his lack of game time since leaving us. Think he has had to settle for being an impact sub at times.

Gray - this would be my choice every time. But wages are likely to be just out of reach, think he is in and out of the team there and not sure he would want to drop down a division.

If anyone has anymore suggestions?

Nobody knows the names we have been talking to which makes the whole situation slightly more nerve wracking as there has been nothing reported in the press. Most of our deals this summer have been reported before happening. You would think if we were close to signing a proven striker it would be leaked somewhere by an agent trying to drum up interest in their client.

The reality will be that this goes all the way to deadline day. Looking at the team sheets in the division today, most of those key strikers are playing or in the squad for their teams. Maupay and Benrahma were not in the Brentford squad but both are way out of our current reach and are being linked to the likes of Brighton and Villa for 20m each. The fact most leading strikers in the division played then nothing would be close with anyone. Unless we manage to attract a Prem talent. 

If I was to guess, I would expect a centre back to arrive on Monday or early next week. I feel we may be waiting until Thursday’s deadline to bring in a striker and possibly one other.

36 minutes ago, maxjak said:

I'd rather have the money to buy an exceptional player like Gayle who will push us forward.

20 million for a Championship CB is absolutely crazy money.

The question I keep asking that no one wants to answer is, would you be happy if we spent 20 million on Webster or a similar type player?

28 minutes ago, Cowshed said:

The Southampton model of development was very different. It was based upon always having a procession of academy developed players ready for the squad, first team and being regulars in the first team. Bristol City in comparison would be held up as a failure of development as it has no academy developed players in its XI and nowhere near 50% of its squad being academy products.

Is that not what we are doing? But we are at the start of that journey so having to supplement by bringing in young players from outside the club. 

Lansdown has stated many times he wants 11 Bristolians in the team and it's clear to see that huge strides having been taken to achieve that.

17 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

FWIW, I am disappointed by both Kelly and Webster leaving, but i’m Prepared to wait to see who we get in (I do expect there to be someone by Thursday).

If it’s Hector for around £5m I will be very happy.

To sell Webster for £20+M and bring in Hector for that amount would be excellent business.

47 minutes ago, maxjak said:

What would you have said if Chelsea quoted us £20m for Kalas? Would you honestly have said the club should go for it at that price or look elsewhere?

I ask because turning down £20m for Webster (and having an unhappy player) is almost the same as us buying a player for £20m... and I think we'll all agree, we aren't a team in a place to be buying players for £20m.

10 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'd rather have the money to buy an exceptional player like Gayle who will push us forward.

20 million for a Championship CB is absolutely crazy money.

The question I keep asking that no one wants to answer is, would you be happy if we spent 20 million on Webster or a similar type player?

If we were a prem team buying someone of Websters class for 20 mill would be very acceptable.

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Is that not what we are doing? But we are at the start of that journey so having to supplement by bringing in young players from outside the club. 

Lansdown has stated many times he wants 11 Bristolians in the team and it's clear to see that huge strides having been taken to achieve that.

No. Bristol City are clearly not using the methodology of Southampton's development. Southampton did not buy in punts, and clubs in the bag, and lots of ones for the future blocking the pathway not only into the XI but the squad. 

Mr Lansdown may say he wants 11 Bristolians … Well he has already ruled out another John Atyeo or Rob Newman then. That statement is very different to the mind set of Southampton. 

Southampton have a regional structure BCFC do not have and are not attempting to emulate. BCFC do not have the coaching systems x play in place to produce what Southampton did. Southampton's academy products are produced by a coaching philosophy for a playing philosophy BCFC do not have.  

Archived