IGNORED

Webster for England?

WECANDO

10 minutes ago, TBW said:

If we've got a clause in the deal on him getting called up then I really hope he makes it, if not then I couldn't care less. 

I care, if he gets in the England squad regardless of a clause or not - then it can only be beneficial to us as a club.

1 good season and he could well be in the squad at next years Euros.

If he has the desire, which im sure he does, this should be his aim.

You'd think there would be an add on for a call up. It's a genuine possibility IMO.

2 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

Not a chance. Needs to prove himself. Plenty of players are ahead of him in the pecking order (not in any order). Maguire, smalling, stones, dunk, Jones,mee,dier, Cahill , Gomez, keane, tarkovski . Off the top of my head . 

I was taking your post quite serious until you mentioned Smalling ?

How many of those players you have listed are ball playing CBs?

1 minute ago, reddogkev said:

Just a guess, but I don't believe he will ever play for England.  I tip Brighton to be relegated this season, would love to be wrong on both accounts, but I don't believe the Seagulls have the talent to stay up this year.

"He has also worked with Brighton’s technical director Dan Ashworth while featuring for England at under-18 and under-19 level earlier in his career."

7 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

On his day Smalling is a world class defender, not that he had many last season!.  I would suggest all of them with the exception of maybe Dunk are comfortable with the ball at their feet for what is required of an England defender. Stones, Dier, Cahill, Keane, Chillwell , Rice. all excellent ball playing CBs way ahead of Webster in the pecking order as he has had only one good season in the championship, if he hasn't proven himself at the level of the players in competition against world class opponents. Look at the drubbing we had from palace in pre-season!. 

3 minutes ago, Furious Custard said:

On his day Smalling is a world class defender, not that he had many last season!.  I would suggest all of them with the exception of maybe Dunk are comfortable with the ball at their feet for what is required of an England defender. Stones, Dier, Cahill, Keane, Chillwell , Rice. all excellent ball playing CBs way ahead of Webster in the pecking order as he has had only one good season in the championship, if he hasn't proven himself at the level of the players in competition against world class opponents. Look at the drubbing we had from palace in pre-season!. 

I'm not quite sure you know the difference between a ball playing CB and a CB who's comfortable with the ball at their feet. I'd expect any professional footballer to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Isn't rice more of a DM?

12 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

I'm not quite sure you know the difference between a ball playing CB and a CB who's comfortable with the ball at their feet. I'd expect any professional footballer to be comfortable with the ball at their feet.

Isn't rice more of a DM?

I dont think you do! ?, you may be missing my point, all of the players I listed have been playing at a level above. Webster is untested at the highest level. 

Rice did play a lot at DM last season, but started as a CB, flip me he is only 20! 

He's got the right skill set to make it, whether he can adapt it to the premier league will be the question. If he has even an average season this year I can see him attracting attention from teams who like to play out from the back a bit higher in the table (but not top 6 high) 

6 hours ago, Furious Custard said:

Not a chance. Needs to prove himself. Plenty of players are ahead of him in the pecking order (not in any order). Maguire, smalling, stones, dunk, Jones,mee,dier, Cahill , Gomez, keane, tarkovski . Off the top of my head . 

There is a lot of gash in that to be fair.

6 hours ago, 77 punk said:

webster has had one decent season in the championship and people think he will put an england shirt on  laughable !

Laughable that you clearly cannot notice how talented Webster is. Brighton paying a record fee for him says it all.

In the 30 + years I have been supporting city I would say Webster is second only to Andy Cole as the most talented player I have seen play for City (ignoring loans). Cole played for England..... 

I believe Tom Heaton is the in only other city player to play for England post city in the last 30 years (ignoring loans)?

8 hours ago, 77 punk said:

webster has had one decent season in the championship and people think he will put an england shirt on  laughable !

Webster has had one decent season in the Championship and people think they can rule out the possibility of him putting on an England shirt. Laughable!

9 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Webster already better than a few on that list imo.

As others have said, a few good games and he'll have a good chance of an England call up.

1 hour ago, Northern Red said:

It's not though, is it?

Won't happen any time soon but if he continues to impress, why can't he?

There’s no reason why he can’t. In fact, Webster’s trajectory is not dissimilar to Harry Maguire; he was playing Championship football for Wigan in 2015, playing bottom-end Prem football for Hull in 2016, mid-table Prem football for Leicester in 2017....and a World Cup semi final in 2018.

Webster is two years younger than Maguire so it’s a very reasonable comparison.

9 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

Webster has had one decent season in the Championship and people think they can rule out the possibility of him putting on an England shirt. Laughable!

Nonsense

Its not as if Webster has represented England at any younger age group .......... 

oh hang on ..........

Plus hes  a Southgate style player , and find his feet in the Prem and he’s got a chance

Archived