IGNORED

Han-Noah Massengo - SIGNED - 4 Year Deal

Dolman_Stand

1 minute ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

A real crossroads for Bristol City mate IMHO

Exciting , Interesting And somewhat bewildering at times  !! 

Certainly very much probably the most eventful and intriguing in my time following City

Yep.  Big big season ahead. Good start really important as well over the first few weeks - starting this afternoon hopefully! 

1 minute ago, robin_unreliant said:

Surely no-one could say this isn't a risky signing?

Pretty much a record fee (matching Kalas) , only played a few first team games in a totally different football environment.

Plenty of U18 internationals fail to make it in men's football.

If Chelsea bought him it would be no big deal. For us it would represent a big gamble due to the size of the fee and what we could have bought if we'd gone for someone who'd already done it in the championship.

Im not suggesting it is risk free.

Inherently all signing carry risk ...you could sign Messi who could break his leg on first game, so nothing is guaranteed.

But if we are signing a player for a club record (or near it?) I presume the team at BCFC have checked him over and are happy. 

I dont think BCFC is run the same as years ago, when David James pops up all of a sudden.

I think the whole system is much more measure and considered.  So I would presume the risk:reward has been considered and the club is happy.

Seems a lot of people moan when the club do nothing .... as this is lacking ambition.

Then they sign (what looks to be a TOP future star) .... and it is a risky for the club.

I think he seems an exciting player.  I hope he does well here and could just be an absolute gem of a signing. 

If the clubs new philosophy is find players, bring them in, then (at some point) sell them on for a profit.  This makes financial sense.

Just now, lenred said:

Yep.  Big big season ahead. Good start really important as well over the first few weeks - starting this afternoon hopefully! 

Reminds me , to some degree  , of the situation, buoyant , bosisterous, promising ,  we were in with JJ at the helm pre Hearts

We are in a period that IMHO , is massive for the medium and long term of the Club

8 minutes ago, robin_unreliant said:

Surely no-one could say this isn't a risky signing?

Pretty much a record fee (matching Kalas) , only played a few first team games in a totally different football environment.

Plenty of U18 internationals fail to make it in men's football.

If Chelsea bought him it would be no big deal. For us it would represent a big gamble due to the size of the fee and what we could have bought if we'd gone for someone who'd already done it in the championship.

On top of that, he’s clearly got ambition, which could lend itself towards arrogance. Alarm bells are ringing with him having handed in a transfer request while still a teenager and his dad being his agent, it’s reminding me a bit of Neymar.

I’ll be buzzing if we pull this one off, but it’ll only be a matter of time before we’re on the receiving end of this sort of treatment. 

1 hour ago, WhistleHappy said:

OMG... A heavy Saturday night was it?

Hate it when that happens, if you've got a garden mate the best thing you can do is bury her under the patio - that's what I always do!  ? 

One better. Sand pit in the garden. Dug a hole for my ?

3 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Im not suggesting it is risk free.

Inherently all signing carry risk ...you could sign Messi who could break his leg on first game, so nothing is guaranteed.

But if we are signing a player for a club record (or near it?) I presume the team at BCFC have checked him over and are happy. 

I dont think BCFC is run the same as years ago, when David James pops up all of a sudden.

I think the whole system is much more measure and considered.  So I would presume the risk:reward has been considered and the club is happy.

Seems a lot of people moan when the club do nothing .... as this is lacking ambition.

Then they sign (what looks to be a TOP future star) .... and it is a risky for the club.

I think he seems an exciting player.  I hope he does well here and could just be an absolute gem of a signing. 

If the clubs new philosophy is find players, bring them in, then (at some point) sell them on for a profit.  This makes financial sense.

Seems like we have been watching him for over a year now. 

From all the bits I've heard we comprehensively scout these players before signing them and for that reason if we sign him I'm fully confident within a year or two we will have a 30 million pound player on our books.

4 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

On top of that, he’s clearly got ambition, which could lend itself towards arrogance. Alarm bells are ringing with him having handed in a transfer request while still a teenager and his dad being his agent, it’s reminding me a bit of Neymar.

I’ll be buzzing if we pull this one off, but it’ll only be a matter of time before we’re on the receiving end of this sort of treatment. 

Add to that, when I just tried to type Massengo it got changed to Mass Ego. Bad sign. 

5 minutes ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Reminds me , to some degree  , of the situation, buoyant , bosisterous, promising ,  we were in with JJ at the helm pre Hearts

We are in a period that IMHO , is massive for the medium and long term of the Club

Like the analogy. It’s going to be a ride that’s for sure!  Right time to get ready for the pub! 

6 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

Neymar ?

Was he a bad footballer ?

27 minutes ago, soultrader said:

Why a huge gamble?

Presumably BCFC have done some background checks etc on him?

18 years old

Never played in England

Has to move to a new country

Never lived in Bristol

Moving away from friends and family

£8m price tag

Expectation on him from fans

Possible doesnt speak English so will need adapt

Not had any time to fit in/settle

Not had a pre season with us

Yeah, not a huge gamble at all!

36 minutes ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It’s not “obvious” at all why Coppell resigned and we don’t “all know why” he left.

You are speculating and claiming to speak for everyone. We don’t know the details behind his departure.

If he left simply because of a disagreement over a transfer, why did he retire from football altogether (at the time)?

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2010/aug/12/steve-coppell-resigns-bristol-city

When I think of all our expectations for BCFC under Coppel at the time (The Lions covered in pictures of Coppel as St. George etcc.) thinking "finally the people in charge at Bristol City have appointed a manager who has been there and done it and will do it with City" we were desperately disappointed when he took the decision to resign. I can imagine that Coppell thought 'this is the final straw, I need a rest from owners/chairmen interferring" The talk among fans who I trust was that the James fiasco was this final straw.

Coppell went back into management in 2012 and is now with ATK in India.

People of course will have differing views about who is blame when there is upset. An individual may be dIsposed to support the Club's line or the player's/manager's line.

I think of the examples of what happened with Basso and Steve Cotterill. My opinion is that both were shabbily treated by the Club. You may differ on these. That isn't to say I never agree with the Club line. The problem is that of course we never hear the player's or manager's side of things?

1 minute ago, Loco Rojo said:

18 years old

Never played in England

Never lived in Bristol

£8m price tag

He presumably already knows the rules of the game and owns a pair of boots ... so should be ok there

So he has never lived in Bristol .... can say the same of a lot of people .... not sure what makes bristol such a unique place to live?

Yes big expectation ... but same for anyone on the pitch surely

I'm still confident the scouting team have done their work on this lad, so just cos its not known by the fans.  Doesnt mean it is a risky signing.

5 minutes ago, Notbarrymanc said:

All footballers have a level of arrogance, you won't make it very far in the game otherwise! 

Whilst you call it arrogance I call it ambition. He believes he is good enough to be playing so wants to go somewhere where he can play and progress his career. The only reason we are signing him is because we have promised him we can progress his career as we have a clear pathway to the premier League. I'd be extremely shocked if this guy sees out his contract with us. He will be with us for a maximum of two seasons.

What are your thoughts on Sancho demanding a move to Dortmund? Didn't work out too badly for him did it? He knew he was good enough and he's gone to Dortmund and proved that.

How you can compare this guy to Neymar, one of the biggest cocks in football is ludicrous tbh.

11 hours ago, robin_unreliant said:

Just watched the 'highlights' clip from the Bristol Post article. It seemed to consist of an interesting haircut and being fouled a few times. I realise he's young but not a single tackle, assist or goal on view.

Let's hope the club know what they're doing here. They presumably have somebody they trust who has been following him in detail......I hope.

Expect they have induldged in very little research, as we only have 30 people working in recruitment? You seem to be a glass half empty type?  Personally i applaud the clubs ambition and foresight in going for a Monaco player, who clearly is going places IMHO.

2 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

Do we all seriously think this kid has been bought to go into the first team now?? Surely he is far too inexperienced at this time?

If Monaco think he’s worthy to start a few Champions League games... I think he’ll be alright to jump in for Bristol City ?‍♂️

2 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

All footballers have a level of arrogance, you won't make it very far in the game otherwise! 

Whilst you call it arrogance I call it ambition. He believes he is good enough to be playing so wants to go somewhere where he can play and progress his career. The only reason we are signing him is because we have promised him we can progress his career as we have a clear pathway to the premier League. I'd be extremely shocked if this guy sees out his contract with us. He will be with us for a maximum of two seasons.

What are your thoughts on Sancho demanding a move to Dortmund? Didn't work out too badly for him did it? He knew he was good enough and he's gone to Dortmund and proved that.

How you can compare this guy to Neymar, one of the biggest cocks in football is ludicrous tbh.

Well, both have dads who are agents. Both are from humble backgrounds. And Neymar forced ill conceived moves solely for financial gain, which is what I hope we’re not seeing here. 

Sancho moving from an A list team to a different A list team is not comparable to a kid moving from an A list team to us. This is akin to Ashley Cole taking a big step backwards to get his career back on track. I hope we do as well out of this one, but there’s clearly an element of risk in this manoeuvre. 

9 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

18 years old

Never played in England

Never lived in Bristol

£8m price tag

Definitely. Although one major advantage is that the squad is fairly young and looks to have a great spirit which will help the lad settle in

6 minutes ago, Loco Rojo said:

18 years old

Never played in England

Never lived in Bristol

£8m price tag

Bristol is a vibrant cultural City that youngsters love. I'm sure he will find a slice of home within Bristol.

Bristol is actually closer to his own home town than Monaco, I can't imagine him being able to afford to live the lifestyle in Monaco. 

How do you know he doesn't speak English? Id say it's likely he at least has a basic grasp of English and even if he doesn't, he's young so will pick it up quickly. 

His parents may move over with him.

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Definitely. Although one major advantage is that the squad is fairly young and looks to have a great spirit which will help the lad settle in

Hopefully. Quite often though, it comes down to the attitude and ability of the player to want to fit in.

Archived