IGNORED

Han-Noah Massengo - SIGNED - 4 Year Deal

Dolman_Stand

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Struck me as LJ knowing that this season the pressure is on him to deliver. No one else. He's getting a bit defensive and prickly.

The last few matches have been poor, he's prepared the players, and whatever he's done hasn't been effective. He's now been given his windows, got a host of signings...with doubtless more to come. The buck eventually stops with him. He's a good communicator, media friendly, but must realise that sooner rather than later the questions won't be about recruitment but will be about the use he's making of the talents he has at his disposal. About his talent as a manager. And he won't like those questions.

Signing a French wonderkid for a club record fee puts his talents as a coach firmly in the spotlight.

Disagree, the buck stops equally between the two of them. Last year he lost his best 3 players, this year he has lost probably the most talented centre back who has played for city. 

He has been given all these transfer windows as you say but has lost his best players in the last two of them. 

Can only be expected to be as good as the players that MA also brings in with the money raised from these transfers. 

For the record I feel like given the circumstances that we have been very shrewd in our transfer business, particularly last summer. However these next 4 days are huge really and will show if they have learnt from the mistakes of old. 

4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Disagree, the buck stops equally between the two of them. Last year he lost his best 3 players, this year he has lost probably the most talented centre back who has played for city. 

He has been given all these transfer windows as you say but has lost his best players in the last two of them. 

Can only be expected to be as good as the players that MA also brings in with the money raised from these transfers. 

For the record I feel like given the circumstances that we have been very shrewd in our transfer business, particularly last summer. However these next 4 days are huge really and will show if they have learnt from the mistakes of old. 

I don't disagree that the management of the club is a team effort - LJ, MA and of course the Lansdowns. But LJ has been a massive beneficiary of this, given a security most managers can only dream of and time to learn on the job. The Lansdowns report to no one and Mark Ashton is playing a blinder, from their point of view, delivering a constant stream of players who can be sold on for a profit. What I'm getting at - and the reason I'm posting this in this thread - is that signing an unproven wonderkid puts LJ on the spot. He has to get Massengo producing 'wonderkid' performances. The Lansdowns can step back and say they've provided the funding, Ashton can say he's unearthed a gem...over to you Lee...

1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Just listened to ljs press conference, where he rolled out his list of players/ positions he wants in, and also said we cant rely on an 18 year old to be our saviour. Apart from thats what happened with semenyo last season, but i cant believe an 18 year old would come here from monaco with an 8 million price tag expecting to play every game and us not play him?? For us to spend that on a single player he needs to be playing every game and being one of our best players.

I think the point he was trying to make was that this kid alone isn’t enough we need more quality and can’t just pin our hopes on an 18 year old to raise the whole squad to the next level.

Just now, Judda said:

My main concern is that he watched us play yesterday...

? was saying this at the game yesterday, bet he’s praying Leeds come in for him!

38 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree that the management of the club is a team effort - LJ, MA and of course the Lansdowns. But LJ has been a massive beneficiary of this, given a security most managers can only dream of and time to learn on the job. The Lansdowns report to no one and Mark Ashton is playing a blinder, from their point of view, delivering a constant stream of players who can be sold on for a profit. What I'm getting at - and the reason I'm posting this in this thread - is that signing an unproven wonderkid puts LJ on the spot. He has to get Massengo producing 'wonderkid' performances. The Lansdowns can step back and say they've provided the funding, Ashton can say he's unearthed a gem...over to you Lee...

At the same time though, an 18 year old French kiddy is not going to come in and be the saviour instantly, as LJ has rightfully pointed out. If we are losing players and have not signed players that are actively going to improve the team, why should the buck always stop with LJ results wise?

The kid has had about 3 starts in his professional career. Very exciting but he is not going to be expected to be world class from the start. 

LJ still needs players to improve this squad before the season really starts, we'll pretend yesterday didn't count  ?

15 minutes ago, Whites said:

Will be announced shortly, just been seen in the Lansdown stand, I assume for photo's. 

Still sat there from yesterday,thinking shall I or not.

1 minute ago, Martin89 said:

Nope, but I believe the person who told me. One being the French guy and another a young black player. Not sure if it’s Nketiah as he played for Arsenal in Barcelona last night. Unless he’s managed to get back already? 

Dijksteel?

1 minute ago, Martin89 said:

Not sure if it’s Nketiah as he played for Arsenal in Barcelona last night. Unless he’s managed to get back already? 

Barcelona is about a 2hr flight time to Bristol - probably quicker than driving through traffic to get to London! 

14 minutes ago, hodge said:

Where's the person who lives in Dundry with a camera when you need them

Ha, just went and had a look for you, but no action I can see on roof. It's bad enough sitting here constantly refreshing, so have not got the time to sit with a camera looking out my bedroom window with a long lens, may also get neighbours thinking some sort of perv.

Was impressive to see how close you can get when you consider those photos were taken from 3 miles away as the crow flies.

Archived