IGNORED

Han-Noah Massengo - SIGNED - 4 Year Deal

Dolman_Stand

4 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Relieved we have only paid £2.7 million for Massengo because of LJ's worrying habit of signing players and then not playing them; Watkins (1 million), Engvall (1.6 million), Walsh (1 million). 

As they arnt good enough 

I agree. Watkins, Engvall, and Walsh aren't good enough. And that's what worries me. Lee Johnson spent 3.6 million on players that are not good enough. Which suggests to me that, some of the time at least, he has poor judgement in the transfer market. 

I think that's a little harsh on Walsh. Now Pack has gone, he should get more game time. 

Of course, but if you looked hard enough you could say that about most managers. Even Fergie had a few poor signings.. Veron, Bebe, Ralph Milne!

He's also got some very right and I'd say that overall he's in credit for players he's signed at the moment given the profits we've made made and year on year progression.

2 minutes ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I think that's a little harsh on Walsh. Now Pack has gone, he should get more game time. 

Of course, but if you looked hard enough you could say that about most managers. Even Fergie had a few poor signings.. Veron, Bebe, Ralph Milne!

He's also got some very right and I'd say that overall he's in credit for players he's signed at the moment given the profits we've made made and year on year progression.

Do you really think Liam Walsh is going to get three consecutive starts in the league this season?

If someone offered you your money back for Liam Walsh (1 million) would you take it? Surely.

I just get the impression that LJ fancies a player, puts down a lot of money for him, has a look at him in training, thinks "Naaah" and the money is wasted. As well as Walsh, Watkins and Engvall we lost over a million on Milan Duric and the jury is out on the 1.5 million for Taylor Moore still. Though as he is getting his chance there is hope there. There are other players too who have never got near the first team as well; Jonny Smith, Diego De Giralamo, Hakeeb Adelukan, Tyreeq Bakinson, Freddy Hinds. Overall it just looks a bit random. 

"Bristol City cannot be paying a million pounds for a player and then not playing him." Gary Owers

As for Massenga, I just want him to have a decent run of games so we can see if he is any good or not. I don't want him stuck in the reserves forever like all those other players because that is a waste of money. 

However I do agree that in general we have had lots of successes, like signing Webster for 3.5 million and selling him for 20 million, and as you say, we are very much in profit. 

Long live Fat Ralphy!!!

31 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Relieved we have only paid £2.7 million for Massengo because of LJ's worrying habit of signing players and then not playing them; Watkins (1 million), Engvall (1.6 million), Walsh (1 million). 

As they arnt good enough 

I agree. Watkins, Engvall, and Walsh aren't good enough. And that's what worries me. Lee Johnson spent 3.6 million on players that are not good enough. Which suggests to me that, some of the time at least, he has poor judgement in the transfer market. 

Which marks him out from his peers, past and present, how exactly?

Sir Alex Ferguson, the greatest of the modern era in this country, signed some dross - even Ralph Milne! He also signed some very good players - like Forlan and Veron for example - that didn't work out.

It's not the exact science some fans seem to think.

2 hours ago, chinapig said:

Which marks him out from his peers, past and present, how exactly?

Sir Alex Ferguson, the greatest of the modern era in this country, signed some dross - even Ralph Milne! He also signed some very good players - like Forlan and Veron for example - that didn't work out.

It's not the exact science some fans seem to think.

Shame that team didn't fully click. Ruud, Giggs, Veron, Keane, Beckham and Scholes was pure sex on paper. 

3 hours ago, Boston Red said:

Do you really think Liam Walsh is going to get three consecutive starts in the league this season?

No idea - difficult to say this early.

If someone offered you your money back for Liam Walsh (1 million) would you take it? Surely.

I don't think I would just yet - he's worth persevering with in my opinion. £1m isn't that much in football terms these days.

I just get the impression that LJ fancies a player, puts down a lot of money for him, has a look at him in training, thinks "Naaah" and the money is wasted. As well as Walsh, Watkins and Engvall we lost over a million on Milan Duric and the jury is out on the 1.5 million for Taylor Moore still. Though as he is getting his chance there is hope there. There are other players too who have never got near the first team as well; Jonny Smith, Diego De Giralamo, Hakeeb Adelukan, Tyreeq Bakinson, Freddy Hinds. Overall it just looks a bit random. 

I think a big problem for Djuric was the injuries - very unfortunate because I really rated him and would've been useful to have. I don't think we ever saw him at his best. Taylor Moore is in the first team squad this season so we finally get a chance to judge him.

Smith, De Girolamo, Hinds etc didn't cost much in the scheme of things. Not every single young player you buy is going to work out - that applies to every club. Bakinson might turn out to do very well for us I think.

I don't really see how that's random either. We changed up the way our younger squads work and supplemented our academy players with others. It's not random, it's just bolstering the numbers.

"Bristol City cannot be paying a million pounds for a player and then not playing him." Gary Owers

Just because Gary Owers says that doesn't mean it's true. The way the finances of football work now are totally different and you have to take calculated risks. It's difficult to criticise this policy really because it's working financially. Until we stop making regular profit on transfers, it is working.

As for Massenga, I just want him to have a decent run of games so we can see if he is any good or not. I don't want him stuck in the reserves forever like all those other players because that is a waste of money. 

He is only 18 so may need time to adapt to English football. But seeing as we gave his arrival huge fanfare I'm hopeful he will be in the first team squad.

Archived