Jump to content

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Dolman_Stand

Han-Noah Massengo - SIGNED - 4 Year Deal

Recommended Posts

sorry to be negative but is this lad the sort of signing we should be making.  we need proven championship players. on the leeds game we are light years behind them. the back 4 were all over the place. Taylor Moore is sadly not good enough and the same with Hunt. a big few days left of the transfer window.

  • Rovers 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but is this lad the sort of signing we should be making.  we need proven championship players. on the leeds game we are light years behind them. the back 4 were all over the place. Taylor Moore is sadly not good enough and the same with Hunt. a big few days left of the transfer window.

What makes you think that’s the only player we are after? LJ said as much that those other areas need strengthening

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Hampshire reds said:

sorry to be negative but is this lad the sort of signing we should be making.  we need proven championship players. on the leeds game we are light years behind them. the back 4 were all over the place. Taylor Moore is sadly not good enough and the same with Hunt. a big few days left of the transfer window.

Yes, this is exactly the sort of signing we should be making.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how this signing helps LJ for the next few seasons, and how can we spend such a sum on a future player when the side is clearly lacking in forwards and central midfield ? Most bizarre signing, and judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed with what the director of football, Mark Ashton is up to. To have signed 8 players and the coach says we still need 5 with 4 days of the transfer window to go, well that is rather worrying. Though even more worrying is that we do not seem to have any semblance of a footballing identity. Seems a lifetime since we saw that September to December purple patch of 2 seasons ago where it looked like something had clicked. Clearly it was an error and was not by design. 

Again, not sure what this signing means for this season, but I doubt that he will be ready for the rough and tumble of the Championship anytime soon, he looks a bit lightweight. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Not sure how this signing helps LJ for the next few seasons, and how can we spend such a sum on a future player when the side is clearly lacking in forwards and central midfield ? Most bizarre signing, and judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed with what the director of football, Mark Ashton is up to. To have signed 8 players and the coach says we still need 5 with 4 days of the transfer window to go, well that is rather worrying. Though even more worrying is that we do not seem to have any semblance of a footballing identity. Seems a lifetime since we saw that September to December purple patch of 2 seasons ago where it looked like something had clicked. Clearly it was an error and was not by design. 

Again, not sure what this signing means for this season, but I doubt that he will be ready for the rough and tumble of the Championship anytime soon, he looks a bit lightweight. 

I agree on the identity bit but as far as Massengo goes, sometimes you have to grasp the opportunity when it arises. If we didn't and he turned out to be a PL star in 3 years time people would be complaining that we didn't sign him when we had the chance.

In any business you need to look after the short and long term at the same time. In the past our approach has been far too short term.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Not sure how this signing helps LJ for the next few seasons, and how can we spend such a sum on a future player when the side is clearly lacking in forwards and central midfield ? Most bizarre signing, and judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed with what the director of football, Mark Ashton is up to. To have signed 8 players and the coach says we still need 5 with 4 days of the transfer window to go, well that is rather worrying. Though even more worrying is that we do not seem to have any semblance of a footballing identity. Seems a lifetime since we saw that September to December purple patch of 2 seasons ago where it looked like something had clicked. Clearly it was an error and was not by design. 

Again, not sure what this signing means for this season, but I doubt that he will be ready for the rough and tumble of the Championship anytime soon, he looks a bit lightweight. 

Judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed by what MA is doing - what was said?

LJ has said its a big coup for us?

Perhaps he is seen as JBs replacement who is rumoured to be interesting Leicester?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Corshamred said:

It feels like an awful lot of money for a “one for the future” though.

I think the point is, LJ doesn’t expect him to come in and boss the team from day 1. But I suspect he’ll be in the squad for match 2 next weekend and his influence will steadily grow across the season. He may we’ll play some games for the under 23s to get him up to speed with our “philosophy”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Unan said:

Start him vs QPR

Be suprised if we did if he signs... as someone on sky said LJ thinks it takes 30 training sessions to used to his methods , I'm not saying he wont start sooner but wouldnt be suprised if LJ lets him settle unless Brownhill goes . 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, miketh2nd said:

Be suprised if we did if he signs... as someone on sky said LJ thinks it takes 30 training sessions to used to his methods , I'm not saying he wont start sooner but wouldnt be suprised if LJ lets him settle unless Brownhill goes . 

Judging on yesterday’s performance it definitely takes more than 30 training sessions.  ;)

  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Loosey Boy said:

Judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed by what MA is doing - what was said?

LJ has said its a big coup for us?

Perhaps he is seen as JBs replacement who is rumoured to be interesting Leicester?

I doubt Leicester would've been impressed by yesterday's display

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just listened to ljs press conference, where he rolled out his list of players/ positions he wants in, and also said we cant rely on an 18 year old to be our saviour. Apart from thats what happened with semenyo last season, but i cant believe an 18 year old would come here from monaco with an 8 million price tag expecting to play every game and us not play him?? For us to spend that on a single player he needs to be playing every game and being one of our best players.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Loosey Boy said:

Judging by LJ comments, he is not too impressed by what MA is doing - what was said?

I'm not sure if it's the same thing @billywedlock is referring to, but in LJ's full post-match press conference audio there was a remarkable turn of phrase he used about MA which caught me cold too - didn't sound like a particularly close working relationship (or at least not all singing from the same sheet).

Something along the lines that when asked about MA saying we'd sign a proven number nine, LJ didn't seem convinced and said (didn't sound like humour) that MA was certainly putting himself under pressure - I read it as feeling we were setting ourselves up to fail and unconvinced we'd get such a player.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm not sure if it's the same thing @billywedlock is referring to, but in LJ's full post-match press conference audio there was a remarkable turn of phrase he used about MA which caught me cold too - didn't sound like a particularly close working relationship (or at least not all singing from the same sheet).

Something along the lines that when asked about MA saying we'd sign a proven number nine, LJ didn't seem convinced and said (didn't sound like humour) that MA was certainly putting himself under pressure - I read it as feeling we were setting ourselves up to fail and unconvinced we'd get such a player.

I thought there were a couple of little signs in the interview that all was not super rosy between LJ and ‘the powers that be’, as he called it. 

Reading between the lines I took it as being unimpressed to be losing Webster when we did.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I thought there were a couple of little signs in the interview that all was not super rosy between LJ and ‘the powers that be’, as he called it. 

Reading between the lines I took it as being unimpressed to be losing Webster when we did.  

Yeah pretty much how i see it too. Also the comment about finding a homegrown to go on the bench seems to suggest the academy is out of ripe fruit for picking for now?!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest, I think he was just trying to dampen expectations a little- around Massengo and transfers in general. Massengo is clearly going to be in the first team picture this season and there are only 4 days of the transfer window left, which is inherently risky in terms of getting the players you want. That said, LJ clearly felt at the start of the window that things would pan out a little differently. I think everyone (LJ included I guess) should hold fire until the window shuts before being too critical

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Red Army 75 said:

Judging on yesterday’s performance it definitely takes more than 30 training sessions.  ;)

Well, it was 3 transfer windows, now heading towards 30.

What’s a zero between friends? 

Probably means 300, if not, 3000 training sessions.

 

Looking at the utter shambles on that pitch yesterday, it seems our training is a bit pointless. Physically, nowhere near Leeds levels. Tactically, men vs boys. BTW Has Kalas put a bit of timber on? 

Edited by RedRock
  • Unicorn 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, RedRock said:

Well, it was 3 transfer windows, now heading towards 30.

What’s a zero between friends? 

Probably means 300, if not, 3000 training sessions.

 

Looking at the utter shambles on that pitch yesterday, it seems our training is a bit pointless. Physically, nowhere near Leeds levels. Tactically, men vs boys. BTW Has Kalas put a bit of timber on? 

I think we all know Leeds are a bit of an anomaly right now - it's no surprise whatsoever that a Bielsa-led team is fitter and physically more ready than us at the start of the season. Whether that lasts the whole season is another question entirely.

We looked like a team that's still waiting for a few signings so we can play the way we really want to. And Kalas looked fine. Think people need to calm a lot.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Olé said:

I'm not sure if it's the same thing @billywedlock is referring to, but in LJ's full post-match press conference audio there was a remarkable turn of phrase he used about MA which caught me cold too - didn't sound like a particularly close working relationship (or at least not all singing from the same sheet).

Something along the lines that when asked about MA saying we'd sign a proven number nine, LJ didn't seem convinced and said (didn't sound like humour) that MA was certainly putting himself under pressure - I read it as feeling we were setting ourselves up to fail and unconvinced we'd get such a player.

 

24 minutes ago, BRISTOL86 said:

I thought there were a couple of little signs in the interview that all was not super rosy between LJ and ‘the powers that be’, as he called it. 

Reading between the lines I took it as being unimpressed to be losing Webster when we did.  

Struck me as nothing more than pure frustration, I am sure that MA is feeling the same frustration too. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, miketh2nd said:

Be suprised if we did if he signs... as someone on sky said LJ thinks it takes 30 training sessions to used to his methods , I'm not saying he wont start sooner but wouldnt be suprised if LJ lets him settle unless Brownhill goes . 

LJ methods? Can you fill me in to these?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Banjo Island said:

30 sessions to learn how to lump it up to the big fellow up top surley thats 29 sessions to many

That made me chuckle when I heard it yesterday. People moan about Warnocks football but that first 70 mins was no different and minus any effect 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

 

Struck me as nothing more than pure frustration, I am sure that MA is feeling the same frustration too. 

Struck me as LJ knowing that this season the pressure is on him to deliver. No one else. He's getting a bit defensive and prickly.

The last few matches have been poor, he's prepared the players, and whatever he's done hasn't been effective. He's now been given his windows, got a host of signings...with doubtless more to come. The buck eventually stops with him. He's a good communicator, media friendly, but must realise that sooner rather than later the questions won't be about recruitment but will be about the use he's making of the talents he has at his disposal. About his talent as a manager. And he won't like those questions.

Signing a French wonderkid for a club record fee puts his talents as a coach firmly in the spotlight.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, KeepUpLino said:

LJ methods? Can you fill me in to these?

 

11 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

Messing around with drones and virtual reality instead of the basics? 

 

8 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

That made me chuckle when I heard it yesterday. People moan about Warnocks football but that first 70 mins was no different and minus any effect 

I came into the Transfer Forum to keep away from the moaning ***** who can't post anything positive after one game in the season, now it appears, I just have to **** off altogether for a few days. 

Edited by Port Said Red
  • Like 13

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Struck me as LJ knowing that this season the pressure is on him to deliver. No one else. He's getting a bit defensive and prickly.

The last few matches have been poor, he's prepared the players, and whatever he's done hasn't been effective. He's now been given his windows, got a host of signings...with doubtless more to come. The buck eventually stops with him. He's a good communicator, media friendly, but must realise that sooner rather than later the questions won't be about recruitment but will be about the use he's making of the talents he has at his disposal. About his talent as a manager. And he won't like those questions.

Signing a French wonderkid for a club record fee puts his talents as a coach firmly in the spotlight.

Disagree, the buck stops equally between the two of them. Last year he lost his best 3 players, this year he has lost probably the most talented centre back who has played for city. 

He has been given all these transfer windows as you say but has lost his best players in the last two of them. 

Can only be expected to be as good as the players that MA also brings in with the money raised from these transfers. 

For the record I feel like given the circumstances that we have been very shrewd in our transfer business, particularly last summer. However these next 4 days are huge really and will show if they have learnt from the mistakes of old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Disagree, the buck stops equally between the two of them. Last year he lost his best 3 players, this year he has lost probably the most talented centre back who has played for city. 

He has been given all these transfer windows as you say but has lost his best players in the last two of them. 

Can only be expected to be as good as the players that MA also brings in with the money raised from these transfers. 

For the record I feel like given the circumstances that we have been very shrewd in our transfer business, particularly last summer. However these next 4 days are huge really and will show if they have learnt from the mistakes of old. 

I don't disagree that the management of the club is a team effort - LJ, MA and of course the Lansdowns. But LJ has been a massive beneficiary of this, given a security most managers can only dream of and time to learn on the job. The Lansdowns report to no one and Mark Ashton is playing a blinder, from their point of view, delivering a constant stream of players who can be sold on for a profit. What I'm getting at - and the reason I'm posting this in this thread - is that signing an unproven wonderkid puts LJ on the spot. He has to get Massengo producing 'wonderkid' performances. The Lansdowns can step back and say they've provided the funding, Ashton can say he's unearthed a gem...over to you Lee...

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Simon bristol said:

Just listened to ljs press conference, where he rolled out his list of players/ positions he wants in, and also said we cant rely on an 18 year old to be our saviour. Apart from thats what happened with semenyo last season, but i cant believe an 18 year old would come here from monaco with an 8 million price tag expecting to play every game and us not play him?? For us to spend that on a single player he needs to be playing every game and being one of our best players.

I think the point he was trying to make was that this kid alone isn’t enough we need more quality and can’t just pin our hopes on an 18 year old to raise the whole squad to the next level.

Just now, Judda said:

My main concern is that he watched us play yesterday...

😂 was saying this at the game yesterday, bet he’s praying Leeds come in for him!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

I don't disagree that the management of the club is a team effort - LJ, MA and of course the Lansdowns. But LJ has been a massive beneficiary of this, given a security most managers can only dream of and time to learn on the job. The Lansdowns report to no one and Mark Ashton is playing a blinder, from their point of view, delivering a constant stream of players who can be sold on for a profit. What I'm getting at - and the reason I'm posting this in this thread - is that signing an unproven wonderkid puts LJ on the spot. He has to get Massengo producing 'wonderkid' performances. The Lansdowns can step back and say they've provided the funding, Ashton can say he's unearthed a gem...over to you Lee...

At the same time though, an 18 year old French kiddy is not going to come in and be the saviour instantly, as LJ has rightfully pointed out. If we are losing players and have not signed players that are actively going to improve the team, why should the buck always stop with LJ results wise?

The kid has had about 3 starts in his professional career. Very exciting but he is not going to be expected to be world class from the start. 

LJ still needs players to improve this squad before the season really starts, we'll pretend yesterday didn't count  🙄

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will be announced shortly, just been seen in the Lansdown stand, I assume for photo's. 

Edited by Whites
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Whites said:

Will be announced shortly, just been seen in the Lansdown stand, I assume for photo's. 

Still sat there from yesterday,thinking shall I or not.

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...