IGNORED

Bristol City v Leeds United Match Day 1

Septic Peg

To be expected. Poor pre-season preparation. Last season, new signings were made early. This time nothing happened week after week after week. This was a scratch team that had not played together before. First match was a tough fixture. This result was the inevitable outcome. Get down to work and soon if you want access to promotion.

Juts back from the gate and i have to say we have been handed a footballing masterclass pace all over the pitch crisp passing one touch football compared to our one and only tactic of lumping it up to doodoo surrounded by 3 defenders not one out one out of the seat moment all game dinasaur football compared to leeds i went full of hope but very little has changed from last season same tactics same substitutions same result really hope we have some quality recruits coming in otherwise its going to be a long painfull season 

451, sit back, invite Leeds on and hump it long to big Dave. 

What happened in preseason for that to be the master plan?!

play a winger in COD who doesnt want to be here. Elliasson makes chance after chance after coming on. 

RB, CM, Striker required. 

CB if we arent going to rely on Wright, Baker etc. 

And as for Leeds’ movement versus our statues? Its an easy game really Lee. Pick a team but more importantly a tactic that doesnt involve sitting and inviting pressure!!

having said all of that, Leeds must be our biggest bogey team. I didnt really expect much but Lee set us up to lose that one with those tactics. 

They were awful today, but not knee jerking and will wait and see what happens between now and the Birmingham game. I think that if no new players and especially a good striker are not signed by then, then I can only see us struggling there as well.  I know Brum are not as good as Leeds, but if we play the way we did today,  then I can't see us getting anything there either.

2 minutes ago, nickolas said:

451, sit back, invite Leeds on and hump it long to big Dave. 

What happened in preseason for that to be the master plan?!

play a winger in COD who doesnt want to be here. Elliasson makes chance after chance after coming on. 

RB, CM, Striker required. 

CB if we arent going to rely on Wright, Baker etc. 

And as for Leeds’ movement versus our statues? Its an easy game really Lee. Pick a team but more importantly a tactic that doesnt involve sitting and inviting pressure!!

having said all of that, Leeds must be our biggest bogey team. I didnt really expect much but Lee set us up to lose that one with those tactics. 

Which is why I've already stated LJ will never get us promoted...... learned nothing from last season at home and WHY oh WHY do you play a player who doesn't want to be here.... main priority this summer was a class striker he said it himself. That squad as it stands is not a top 6 team.... SIMPLE.

Really couldn’t see any patterns of play today lj regularly goes on about, Palmer was a big mistake playing him , pack was kack, fam living of scraps, wineman is not a winger - wide man , Kalas should of got tighter for their first goal, big improvements needed, Leeds were a class above us in every department, let’s hope a few more quality signings can get us going.

General

Tactics / shape were wrong.  There's no point playing Palmer without someone to break the line up front, it's a waste to have him on the pitch and then just lump it to Fam.  There's little point in putting crosses in if nobody gets into the box in support.  The pressing we did in the first ten minutes seemed good but then we stopped.  I think we need two up top if Fam's playing, and it was a shame to sub Palmer just when we moved to that as he'd have had much more joy in the last 20 minutes (although it might have been due to the card).

Pluses:

• Moore was decent, on that showing he could do well
  • Weimann worked his tits off
  • Patterson, Eliasson and Taylor looked lively and changed things from the bench

Negatives:

• New keeper wasn't much to write home about
  • Right side remains problematic defensively and wasn't much cop going forward either really
  • None of the midfield three offered any additional protection to the centre halves really
  • Isolated single centre forward with nobody in midfield carrying it forward means hopeful punts

Leeds were petulant and dirty as usual.  I lost count of the number of shoves in the back the ref seemed  content to watch.  Clinical perhaps but not made to work too hard.  Bamford should have been off for the elbow.  They'll bottle automatic and the playoffs again.

We're still a work in progress, the flaws are obvious (striker, right back, probably another wide option).  Hopefully there's a plan to address these over the next few days or longer if it's loans.  Not worth worrying over much about yet, pretty much what I expected for now.

17 minutes ago, Allwaysred said:

Come on maxjak I'm intrested why my comments made no sense??

Sorry. in the heat of post match delirium, I mistook Always Red for Ashton Great!  You are welcome to sue me!  You did actually make some sense, I would agree that our squad is hardly an improvement on last season, and that LJ picked the wrong team.  I believe the next 4 days will define our season, and we simply have to get it right.  We were outclassed today, and that doesn't often happen. So I retract my glib reply.........and hope, with you, that we recruit a right back and a goalscorer asap ?

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Worst performance in 3 years.

We’ve gone backwards in last 2 years. Light years away from the performances at the start of 17/18

Everyone trying but just not good enough.

I’m guessing you didn’t go to Ipswich at home last season. Or Brentford at home the season before that.

3 minutes ago, maxjak said:

Sorry. in the heat of post match delirium, I mistook Always Red for Ashton Gate!  You are welcome to sue me!  You did actually make some sense, I would agree that our squad is hardly an improvement on last season, and that LJ picked the wrong team.  I believe the next 4 days will define our season, and we have to get it right.  We were outclassed today, and that doesn't often happen. SoI retract my glib reply.........and hope, with you, that we recruit a right back and a goalscorer asap ?

So you agree with my point that LJ made mistakes then?? 

32 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

To be expected. Poor pre-season preparation. Last season, new signings were made early. This time nothing happened week after week after week. This was a scratch team that had not played together before. First match was a tough fixture. This result was the inevitable outcome. Get down to work and soon if you want access to promotion.

Not played together before? The only new face was Bentley.

1 hour ago, 054123 said:

Worst performance in 3 years.

We’ve gone backwards in last 2 years. Light years away from the performances at the start of 17/18

Everyone trying but just not good enough.

Nice to finally see the new stadium though eh?

35 minutes ago, Squire Dastardly said:

Are you taking the piss , Bentley was the only player on the pitch who was new to the side

Archived