Up The City!

1 hour ago, Up The City! said:

As per comments on RB.

A RB

A CB

A CDM

A ACM

And a ST.

Did he really say that?! Good grief .... I thought he only needed ‘three transfer windows’ to get his squad together when he joined us?! 

He’s been backed more than any other manager in our history and after the season has started he is still saying he needs ‘five more players’ ?! 

Wow ...

1 hour ago, TheCulturalBomb said:

EBIraYsWkAIc33A.thumb.jpeg.b418d4075a477affecf1e6da45c6784a.jpeg

I'm REALLY hoping he's thinking what he can add to our side and accomplish and not get me the hell out of here.

Ha yeah. Im praying he is thinking he can easily improve our midfield and not, "**** this get me the hell back to Monaco"

2 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did he really say that?! Good grief .... I thought he only needed ‘three transfer windows’ to get his squad together when he joined us?! 

He’s been backed more than any other manager in our history and after the season has started he is still saying he needs ‘five more players’ ?! 

Wow ...

Tbf he has brought us incremental improvements each season, the board now need to trust in him and back him....

1 hour ago, billywedlock said:

I thought we were shambolic, and the thought of another 5 players quite shocking when we have now gone through about 70 in the LJ/MA era and I still have no idea what the often talked about identity is. We are not a passing side that is clear. Until we actually decide what our identity and approach are going to be, it seems that signing players is a waste of time. Leeds carried on from last season, they play in a very clear, very well drilled way, and that is down to the coach imposing his approach. It seems to me LJ and MA are not in harmony as the verbal description of what our approach, or should I say DNA , is not visible on the pitch or with the transfer activity. With another 5 that will be what, 13 or 14 signed this season. We will not play many sides as good as Leeds, but it is about time we started to look  coherent or we are going to fall short again this season. 

I disagree here. We have improved season upon season and its clear now the club is wanting to seriously push for promotion. To do that we need quality. The league doesn't stay the same, the teams around us improve and more and more money is being spent. 

Though that defeat was worrying in terms of both team selection and tactics for sure. We did look BAD. 

49 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Which might be fair. Reminds me of that CM we had under McInnes forget the name Liam something, seemed tidy but lightweight had bad knee injury think we swapped him for someone. 

Liam Kelly. Swapped him for Oldham’s captain, who later scored a goal in a Carabao Cup Quarter Final. 

6 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow ...

Perhaps needing three more windows is a permanent situation

Deflecting to the board & getting the woe is me stuff in early IMO. If he wanted a RB in June he’d have got one. No chance in hell he genuinely wants all those players. Easier to say it now when the window is open then say it in November if we aren’t where we wanna be 

16 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow ...

A few years ago we had Baker on loan, he did well, and we were all delighted when he returned permanently. Now he is seen as little more than backup and there is a general consensus that we need a replacement for Webster (leaving aside Taylor Moore’s decent game today).

The point is, as our ambitions and expectations increase as we gradually evolve from Championship survivors, to mid table, to play off challengers - so he quality of player we require evolves with it.

The 3 window thing wasn’t a very wise comment - 3 windows to achieve what? Stability? Play offs? Promotion? That wasn’t clear. No team ever really reaches a point where they have a satisfactory squad. The evolution is constant. Particularly for clubs like ours gradually moving up the league ladder.

I think we need to let go of the 3 window thing, recognise that our transfer dealings have brought about 5 seasons of continuous improvement, and acknowledge that we need more quality to move to the next level. If mid-table mediocrity was the aim, LJ wouldn’t need five more players. But we’re setting our sights higher now.

Does anyone know for sure what position Massengo plays in.  From the internet he’s listed as defensive MF and that seemed to be the opinion on his transfer thread but LJ referred to him as an attacking MF.  I’m assuming LJ knows the favoured position of the players we are buying but does anyone who follows French football know for sure what type of player he is?

18 minutes ago, Atticus said:

Ha yeah. Im praying he is thinking he can easily improve our midfield and not, "**** this get me the hell back to Monaco"

To be fair, any 18 year old sitting there today, would find it hard not to be impressed with our stadium, the atmosphere and the general set up at the gate. Yes, we were a little outclassed today but I would imagine the Han would be quite excited to be joining us. 

I read somehwhere that his wages are currently 136,000 euros a year at Monaco. I have also attended a Monaco V Caen in 2017. No atmos, only 9,000 in the stadium and it felt like a pre-season friendly. On that trip, we attended Nice V Strasbourg, which did feel like a proper club. He will enjoy it here!! 

24 minutes ago, petehinton said:

Deflecting to the board & getting the woe is me stuff in early IMO. If he wanted a RB in June he’d have got one. No chance in hell he genuinely wants all those players. Easier to say it now when the window is open then say it in November if we aren’t where we wanna be 

Yes he could get one in June, but would that RB be better than what we got? Highly doubtful.

Or do you wait until the end of the transfer window when the better players become available?

As I've said many many times, fans like you just want signings, any signings regardless of ability.

My issue on the five is this (and, tbh, I’m not sure we don’t need the five - we’ve only really signed - other than loans - one permanent starting XI player in Bentley which was needed due to Nikis injury).

I think we saw a less than commited COD today probably with a move in mind. If you’re Hunt, Pack, Fam, Weimann etc how much will you perform/put it in knowing that your manager is actively looking to replace you. You may say be professional - alternately you may say I’m not risking injury when I’m likely to be surplus and needing a new club.

Shape was wrong, tactics were wrong but desire was off - and is that why?

15 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Yes he could get one in June, but would that RB be better than what we got? Highly doubtful.

Or do you wait until the end of the transfer window when the better players become available?

As I've said many many times, fans like you just want signings, any signings regardless of ability.

Not sure where my views come into this? All I’m saying is if he REALLY wanted a new RB as priority, we’d have one. They’re cheaper and easier to obtain than upper quality strikers. 

FWIW I think how we’ve gone about things this summer is correct, but left it too late if really wanted ‘five more’ in the respective positions

1 minute ago, petehinton said:

Not sure where my views come into this? All I’m saying is if he REALLY wanted a new RB as priority, we’d have one. They’re cheaper and easier to obtain than upper quality strikers. 

FWIW I think how we’ve gone about things this summer is correct, but left it too late if really wanted ‘five more’ in the respective positions

Your not getting this are you? The better players do not become available until later on in the window. So yes we could have signed a RB earlier on but it would be no improvement to what we already have. 

Have a look around the the world and you will see most of the big transfers are yet to happen!

Even Man City have been chasing a RB all summer but have yet to sign one!!

21 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Over the last 20 years, apart from sides making a double promotion,  promoted sides to the Prem league have done it with a coach that had been in place 18 months to 2 years. Last season one side with a wage bill greatly inferior to us got promoted, and another with a similar wage bill did too . Leeds are a good benchmark too, no parachute payments, new coach got them to third with very few signings, used what he had, and after today loo likely to compete at the top end again. Need to see both clubs wage bill for last season, but they were very similar. As for improvement, last season we ended up slightly better off in league position due to the points required being less and with a worse goall difference. I can buy into we need more quality, but when you start signing 14 players a season, and the team look like they have no idea what they are doing, I think you have to ask, what is the exact playing strategy , allied to a transfer policy. I do not believe we have complete conviction in a playing and recruitment strategy. That is my frustration and I do not know why LJ , for all his studying , is weak in this area. It is essential for a successful side that the philosophy is clear and engrained into the squad . 

I am sure top 10 is possible and we will flirt with play offs. Personally I have no issue with that, but I do feel it is about time we started to demonstrate a genuine playing philosophy for the club, rather than talk about it but not apply it. Watching today I could understand why we were looking at Keiffer Moore , we want to play long ball. 

Good post, and very fair points. I agree we need to settle on and commit to a playing style.

2 hours ago, BobBobSuperBob said:

Not unfair at all

How many windows and seasons before we see what he’s actually trying to do 

We looked like a jumbled together team of trialists

Bielsa has been there one  season , largely worked with what he had to start with , less even 

Totally bossed us, men against boys

In one Bob. I still can’t see what LJ is trying to do, our tactics are a mystery, it just looks like 11 blokes told to go out and play. 

Add in the Palace game, we have conceded 8 goals in two games, and Leeds could have doubled their 3 today. Very concerning. 

Here are all the players Lee Johnson has signed for Bristol City, but apparently it is not enough, we need another five. 

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

19. Adam Matthews (twice).

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

13 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Here are all the players Lee Johnson has signed for Bristol City, but apparently it is not enough, we need another five. 

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

When you look at it in isolation it is more than a little concerning.

Lets see what happens by Thursday evening. I think , like most others, we need a pacy finisher and an upgraded CM - maybe the young French lad can address that but it’s a big ask. 

Thought Taylor Moore did OK today and we have cover there so a CB is not top of the list, but we do need a better option at RB.

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Wow ...

? Forgot about the windows 

2 hours ago, Fontaineofallknowledge said:

What has the coaching team actually done in pre season? There was no cohesion, pattern of play or control. Really disappointing 

Look like they spent to much time beasting them in preseason instead of working on patterns of play.  They look tired and off the pace already!!!

47 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

That is a frightening document. 52 players in 3 seasons is 17 players a season! Anyone know how this compares with other Clubs and managers? Makes you think he doesn't know a decent player from a dud one. Sign half that number who are quality and we would have a chance. That assumes that LJ knows how to coach and manage them of course. As someone said above (?) he talks a good manager.

49 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler.