IGNORED

LJ Wants 5 Players

Up The City!

1 hour ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did he really say that?! Good grief .... I thought he only needed ‘three transfer windows’ to get his squad together when he joined us?! 

He’s been backed more than any other manager in our history and after the season has started he is still saying he needs ‘five more players’ ?! 

Wow ...

I was going to quote the 3 windows to get the team he wants when he took charge earlier. I'd imagine he's spent more then all our previous managers combined? And sometimes the football played is awful with what looks to be no real game plan. Granted he's generated some of his spending money himself but he's still wasted a lot on players he's signed and some not even playing. 

51 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Here are all the players Lee Johnson has signed for Bristol City, but apparently it is not enough, we need another five. 

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

19. Adam Matthews (twice).

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

Get the beating stick out again guys ?

2 hours ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Did he really say that?! Good grief .... I thought he only needed ‘three transfer windows’ to get his squad together when he joined us?! 

He’s been backed more than any other manager in our history and after the season has started he is still saying he needs ‘five more players’ ?! 

Wow ...

Hate that stat.

When you consider how much transfer fees have risen since he joined the club, and the circa 75 million we’ve made off of transfers since he arrived then he hasn’t been as well backed as you claim

56 minutes ago, Boston Red said:

Here are all the players Lee Johnson has signed for Bristol City, but apparently it is not enough, we need another five. 

1. Fabian Giefer.

2. Scott Golbourne.

3. Ivan Lucic.

4.  Jonny Smith.

5. Diego De Girolamo.

6. Lee Tomlin. (twice)

7. Hörður Magnússon.

8. Gary O' Neill.

9. Callum O'Dowda. 

10. Taylor Moore.

11. Milan Duric.

12. Jens Hegeler. 

13.Jamie Patterson.

14. Josh Brownhill.

15. Gustav Engvall.

16. Bailey Wright.

17. Joel Ekstrand.

18. Matty Taylor.

19. Adam Matthews (twice).

20. Tammy Abraham.

21. David Cotterill.

22. Famara Diedhiou.

23. Eros Pisano.

24. Nathan Baker.

25. Freddie Hinds.

26. Nicolas Eliasson.

27. Luke Steele.

28. Tyreeq Bakinson.

29. Rory Holden.

30. Antoine Semenyo.

31. Liam Walsh.

32. Cauley Woodrow. 

33. Jonathan Leko.

34. Ryan Kent.

35. Louis Diony.

36. Marley Watkins.

37. Adam Webster.

38. Hakeeb Adelakun.

39. Andreas Weimann.

40. Jack Hunt.

41. Mo Eisa.

42. Nicky Maenpaa.

43. Jay  Dasilva.(twice)

44. Tomas Kalas (twice)

45. Stefan Marinovic.

46. Daniel Bentley.

47. Robbie Cundy.

48. Rene Gilmartin. 

49. Tommy Rowe.

50. Sammie Szmodics.

51. Kasey Palmer (twice)

52. Han-Noah Massengo

Bit strange to include players signed for under 23s and others that were clearly signed as backups to the first team incase someone in our starting 11 became injured. 

When you take those out and consider that a fair few on there still could make good careers here it doesn’t seem that irregular.

5 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

Hate that stat.

When you consider how much transfer fees have risen since he joined the club, and the circa 75 million we’ve made off of transfers since he arrived then he hasn’t been as well backed as you claim

I hate that stat as well - because it is accurate and true - LJ has been backed with phenomenal funds the like of which no other City manager has seen ...

Just now, BS4 on Tour... said:

The stat is accurate and true - LJ has been backed with phenomenal funds the like of which no other City manager has seen ...

Much like every other manager in the football league then...

And when you consider he has had 75 million pounds plus to spend that has come from sales of players he’s not been backed a terrible amount by the board themselves

16 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

Bit strange to include players signed for under 23s and others that were clearly signed as backups to the first team incase someone in our starting 11 became injured. 

When you take those out and consider that a fair few on there still could make good careers here it doesn’t seem that irregular.

And leave out the fact we had to sign a large quantity of first team players his first summer as cotts left him a first team squad of about 16 players

22 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

I hate that stat as well - because it is accurate and true - LJ has been backed with phenomenal funds the like of which no other City manager has seen ...

I have to ask @JamesBCFC - what does the ‘unicorn’ reaction mean? And anyway, I hope you realise that you owe me half a shandy as you bet me that Webster would not be leaving this summer!!!! And I said way back in May, we’d struggle to hold onto him ....

4 hours ago, chinapig said:

Contrast with how Weimann and Taylor blocked the passing lanes at Swansea last season so they couldn't get going. As emphatic a 1-0 as you could see at this level, we had complete control.

I’m not going to react after one disappointing performance, but today’s game told me more than ever that (at home at least) Weimann should start up front over Fam.  For me he was our only player better than 6/10.  Apart from the odd run by COD in the last 10 minutes of an otherwise lacklustre game from the Irishman, I think every spark involved Weimann.

I think it would stop us going direct too early in our possession too and turning the ball over as soon as we win it back. Not Fam’s fault.

I know we cleatrly need 3-5 new players but with no recognised sysyem to slot them into to improve what we have got what is the point. As has been stated our team, as others are, should be drilled week in week out in a system of play so that whoever has the ball knows exactly where a team mate is and has an option should that player be closed down. We should be prepared  positionally for most situations that occur during a game. By gradually upgrading players within your system and the system becoming second nature then you have the basis to challenge near the top. Today we just looked like 11 blokes chucked together and told to get on with it.

4 hours ago, Portland Bill said:

In one Bob. I still can’t see what LJ is trying to do, our tactics are a mystery, it just looks like 11 blokes told to go out and play. 

Add in the Palace game, we have conceded 8 goals in two games, and Leeds could have doubled their 3 today. Very concerning. 

I don't quite know what's happened. In the season we played Man City we played some beautiful pressing football, we drew plaudits from all around the world. Ok come February our players were absolutely knackered but we did have a tiny squad, we have boosted our numbers which could enable us to play that way again but we have seemingly abandoned that play style.

3 hours ago, ScottishRed said:

When you look at it in isolation it is more than a little concerning.

Lets see what happens by Thursday evening. I think , like most others, we need a pacy finisher and an upgraded CM - maybe the young French lad can address that but it’s a big ask. 

Thought Taylor Moore did OK today and we have cover there so a CB is not top of the list, but we do need a better option at RB.

No, when you look at each transfer in isolation and understand why they were brought in then it's not concerning at all tbh. The vast majority of that list were brought in either for the short term or because of their long term potential. Looking at that list it's surprising how few transfers we have made to become an instant permanent addition to our first team.

3 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I’m not going to react after one disappointing performance, but today’s game told me more than ever that (at home at least) Weimann should start up front over Fam.  For me he was our only player better than 6/10.  Apart from the odd run by COD in the last 10 minutes of an otherwise lacklustre game from the Irishman, I think every spark involved Weimann.

I think it would stop us going direct too early in our possession too and turning the ball over as soon as we win it back. Not Fam’s fault.

Poor old Fammy gets the blame but it's not his fault that he is not cut out for the style we want to play. With him there there is, as you say, the temptation to hoof the ball towards him.

Someone like Palmer is surely going to dovetail much better with Weimann?

I continue to be confused as to what LJ's tactical plan actually is though.

7 hours ago, Tomo said:

To be fair, any 18 year old sitting there today, would find it hard not to be impressed with our stadium, the atmosphere and the general set up at the gate. Yes, we were a little outclassed today but I would imagine the Han would be quite excited to be joining us. 

I read somehwhere that his wages are currently 136,000 euros a year at Monaco. I have also attended a Monaco V Caen in 2017. No atmos, only 9,000 in the stadium and it felt like a pre-season friendly. On that trip, we attended Nice V Strasbourg, which did feel like a proper club. He will enjoy it here!! 

Atmosphere? :laugh:.

I'm not an LJ fan for starters.

How's he going to motivate the team if, after his quote "I need 5 more players"  the next 4 days produces no-one?

When he says prior to Saturday's game at St. Andrews, "come on lads I believe in you" it carries something of a hollow tone!!!

Two of our best players in pre-season, Szmodics & Eliasson don't make the starting 11 yet a player who wants away does - baffling

We can re brand, build a new stadium, get in a fancy new media team etc but it all means **** all if you don't win matches and have a good squad of players! 

Why would you come out a week before the transfer window closes stating you need 5 more players!? LJ has had more time in charge than any previous manager to build 'his team' yet every year we hear the same old BS around recruitment never addressing the problems we have.

As for tactics, playing 1 up top has to stop! especially at home! Fam gets a lot of stick and yes he isn't the greatest striker but we could all see that last year he's a much better player with a striker along side him, something we could all see we have been crying out for yet we recruit every position apart from the one we actually need!

I don't even want to talk about starting COD, from having a terrible pre season and not even wanting to be at the club yet somehow starting over my first pick on the team sheet in Eliasson.. 

If that was an advert for ‘come and join us’ to any prospective player, I think we can forget it.

No doubt Lee will pass the buck to Ashton for not delivering his, now, 5 players (gulp, what an indictment of our ‘ones for the future’ policy - Bakinson, Walsh, Smith, bloke at Bath., Irish chap, lad from Scunthorpe .... where are you all?). As first team coach/manager it is your job to make it an attractive proposition to join - with a united, dynamic and well-drilled team. 

Yesterday’s performance - following on from Palace - was woeful. Utter shambles. What pattern of play,? What leaders? Who ‘wanted it’? Who imposed themselves? Shockingly bad. 

LJ don’t start shifting the blame. You’ve lost one first team player and we were clueless all over the field. That was your players, your team, your tactics. 

10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

I agree totally about AW - although COD left the pitch after an hour so he didn’t do much in the last ten minutes ..

14 hours ago, Bristol is red said:

I'd assume if LJ gets to spend a large portion of the Webster money on players then there will be an expectation from the board of a top 6 finish. 

Can't imagine finishing 8th again or lower would go down well.

Lets hope he spends the money wisely.

I was just chatting about this. I’m not saying a sacking is on the cards but that fear must be always hanging over a managers head, although seemingly less so with Lee than many others. So with these millions at his disposal I expect he is keen to spend, whenever will he he in a situation to spend like this again, maybe never? 

Some say you can buy success, others less sure. It seems quality and the right player are obviously important. Quality and proven you have to pay for usually, especially now the season has started  and there is no time to bed in and gel new players.

So if he isn’t successful this season will Lee be under pressure more so than previously? Will he think it’s better to spend and try to buy success than skimp and leave the money pot to the next Manager, I think so. 

7 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

Meant last 10 minutes of first half

Apologies Dave - when you stated “the last 10 minutes of a lacklustre game..” I assumed you meant minutes 80 to 90 ... COD shouldn’t have played in my opinion - I understand the ‘keeping him in the shop window’ argument but if that was the intention, it backfired somewhat ...

3 hours ago, RedM said:

I was just chatting about this. I’m not saying a sacking is on the cards but that fear must be always hanging over a managers head, although seemingly less so with Lee than many others. So with these millions at his disposal I expect he is keen to spend, whenever will he he in a situation to spend like this again, maybe never? 

Some say you can buy success, others less sure. It seems quality and the right player are obviously important. Quality and proven you have to pay for usually, especially now the season has started  and there is no time to bed in and gel new players.

So if he isn’t successful this season will Lee be under pressure more so than previously? Will he think it’s better to spend and try to buy success than skimp and leave the money pot to the next Manager, I think so. 

For me whatever Lee spends he will never take us to the Premier league.

If that's what you reallly want for this club then he's not for you.

Think he baffles himself at times let alone the player's & coaching staff ..

5 hours ago, Red 90 said:

We can re brand, build a new stadium, get in a fancy new media team etc but it all means **** all if you don't win matches and have a good squad of players! 

Why would you come out a week before the transfer window closes stating you need 5 more players!? LJ has had more time in charge than any previous manager to build 'his team' yet every year we hear the same old BS around recruitment never addressing the problems we have.

As for tactics, playing 1 up top has to stop! especially at home! Fam gets a lot of stick and yes he isn't the greatest striker but we could all see that last year he's a much better player with a striker along side him, something we could all see we have been crying out for yet we recruit every position apart from the one we actually need!

I don't even want to talk about starting COD, from having a terrible pre season and not even wanting to be at the club yet somehow starting over my first pick on the team sheet in Eliasson.. 

Its madness but on top of a new contract, he`s got years yet;

We have a long way to go to get to the top six in what is a tough div this season, the next few days will show how bothered we are about getting there. No easy game v Brum either, what exactly did the holiday to Florida bring to this team again?

No doubt the old 10games rhetoric and then the xmas window will soon be rolled out to get us through, same as it has been, same as it will always be; All aboard The LJ/SL Roundabout we go.

Pride Passion and Belief had better make a return and quick

Archived