IGNORED

This is a weird feeling...

WesM

...but I enjoyed the game today.

Take the allegiance out of it and the fact that our lads had a poor day as individuals and the collective and you are left admiring how good Leeds were.

They pressed and pressed all game, made the pitch as wide as they could and then played beautiful triangles of in the space created. Their movement was the best I’ve seen at AG for years. They were organised, disciplined and professional, with and without the ball.  They won’t be getting beat that often this season and I dare say anyone who finishes above them is going up. Big statement from one game but you can see the foundations are already in place for a good go at it.

Meanwhile, a few of our lads will have learnt a valuable lesson today. Men against boys for the most part and chased shadows for the rest. When we did get the ball, we wanted way to long to pick a pass and that was nearly always sideways or backwards.....as usual. No presence up front, not all fam’s fault but he does have the first touch of a brick wall, but no one near him and no chance of linking up with anyone.

One positive, Taylor Moore did well against Bamford who is no mug. Gave the ball way sloppily for the third, but thought he looked capable and may grow with games.

A harsh lesson from a very good side.

I've enjoyed every Bielsa side I have seen, especially his Bilbao team. Intensity, rapid movement and accuracy combined.Just watching them leaves me out of breath!

The only equally viscerally exciting side I have seen in recent years was Klopp's Dortmund.

1 minute ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I liked their kit 

It was terrible on the telly alongside our red though. Wasn’t contrasting enough. Not sure how it looked in the stadium.

Should be a simple rule for kits - you play the highest contrast kit you have compared with the home team. Would have been a much easier watch if Leeds had been wearing white.

Frustrating day at the office. We started brightly, and finished brightly. Leeds were, however, a very good side. 

Just interesting how we raised our game against the Likes of Man Utd and Man City, and held our own, yet Leeds came to us and looked like Champions League Winners. We have to be able to raise our game when the time is needed. Leeds looked ropey for the first 15-20 but after that were never really troubled by us as they moved up through the gears. 

Something isn't right with the motivation and the mentality of the team imo. 

1 hour ago, WesM said:

...but I enjoyed the game today.

Take the allegiance out of it and the fact that our lads had a poor day as individuals and the collective and you are left admiring how good Leeds were.

They pressed and pressed all game, made the pitch as wide as they could and then played beautiful triangles of in the space created. Their movement was the best I’ve seen at AG for years. They were organised, disciplined and professional, with and without the ball.  They won’t be getting beat that often this season and I dare say anyone who finishes above them is going up. Big statement from one game but you can see the foundations are already in place for a good go at it.

Meanwhile, a few of our lads will have learnt a valuable lesson today. Men against boys for the most part and chased shadows for the rest. When we did get the ball, we wanted way to long to pick a pass and that was nearly always sideways or backwards.....as usual. No presence up front, not all fam’s fault but he does have the first touch of a brick wall, but no one near him and no chance of linking up with anyone.

One positive, Taylor Moore did well against Bamford who is no mug. Gave the ball way sloppily for the third, but thought he looked capable and may grow with games.

A harsh lesson from a very good side.

Bang on, their movement was breathtaking at times, they pulled us all over the pitch. Bielsa is a genuinely great coach, they're lucky to have him.

I did not enjoy watching it though haha.

28 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I liked their kit 

What, even the leatherette style shoulder panels?!

45 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I've enjoyed every Bielsa side I have seen, especially his Bilbao team. Intensity, rapid movement and accuracy combined.Just watching them leaves me out of breath!

The only equally viscerally exciting side I have seen in recent years was Klopp's Dortmund.

Brilliantly drilled , brilliantly

And to leave three across the front , sometimes 4. Something you can only even think of doing with a very clear plan and drilling on training ground

Thought despite their first teamers missing they were more impressive than they were last season at AG

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They looked awful in the latter third of last season and bottled promotion. I'm gonna wait till we're at least 20 games in before I start noshing Biesla off. 

The supposed great manager who has pretty much no honours to his name. 

True, but he has never been at an elite club. Their squad may be too small to sustain again though.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They looked awful in the latter third of last season and bottled promotion. I'm gonna wait till we're at least 20 games in before I start noshing Biesla off. 

The supposed great manager who has pretty much no honours to his name. 

No honours but has massivley influenced the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Simeone tbf.

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He managed Argentina. Your comments beg the question of why he hasn't been at an elite club and why, if he's so good, is he at Leeds??

Fair comment. I think it's mainly  because he is a massive, massive pain in the arse haha.

Would you not class Marseille or Lazio as elite though? Short lived though those appointments obviously were!

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He managed Argentina. Your comments beg the question of why he hasn't been at an elite club and why, if he's so good, is he at Leeds??

True, but Argentinian international football has been dysfunctional for a long time now. Nobody can harness all that talent it seems. Awash with political divisions.

His Chile side was exciting though and punched above its weight somewhat.

As to elite clubs, I'm not sure frankly. I suspect it's because he is so eccentric and often difficult to handle, as Lazio, Marseilles and Lille can attest.

In any event my point was that I have found his sides exciting to watch rather than anything else.

8 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Fair comment. I think it's mainly  because he is a massive, massive pain in the arse haha.

Would you not class Marseille or Lazio as elite though? Short lived though those appointments obviously were!

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True, but Argentinian international football has been dysfunctional for a long time now. Nobody can harness all that talent it seems. Awash with political divisions.

His Chile side was exciting though and punched above its weight somewhat.

As to elite clubs, I'm not sure frankly. I suspect it's because he is so eccentric and often difficult to handle, as Lazio, Marseilles and Lille can attest.

In any event my point was that I have found his sides exciting to watch rather than anything else.

Fair. I just think his talent and legacy involve his talent identification as opposed to his man management ability. 

I thought they were excellent whilst we looked a little bit lost.

The consistent long ball to Fam was hugely frustrating as he won very few of them - don’t understand why we persist with this at all., try it now and again but not at nearly every opportunity.

We have a long way to go to be close to them.....a very long way.

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Fair. I just think his talent and legacy involve his talent identification as opposed to his man management ability. 

I think it's more the tactical developments he introduced that mark him out as an exceptional coach personally.

That Chile side @chinapig mentions above was the blueprint.

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was terrible on the telly alongside our red though. Wasn’t contrasting enough. Not sure how it looked in the stadium.

Should be a simple rule for kits - you play the highest contrast kit you have compared with the home team. Would have been a much easier watch if Leeds had been wearing white.

I did wonder when Pack, for the second time, passed straight to a Leeds player if the colours were a problem for him!

Archived