Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

WesM

This is a weird feeling...

I've enjoyed every Bielsa side I have seen, especially his Bilbao team. Intensity, rapid movement and accuracy combined.Just watching them leaves me out of breath!

The only equally viscerally exciting side I have seen in recent years was Klopp's Dortmund.

Edited by chinapig
  • Like 6

Structured, attractive, dominating away performance. 

Men against boys for sure, it looked like they didnt even get out of third gear...

• Like 2

1 minute ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I liked their kit 

It was terrible on the telly alongside our red though. Wasn’t contrasting enough. Not sure how it looked in the stadium.

Should be a simple rule for kits - you play the highest contrast kit you have compared with the home team. Would have been a much easier watch if Leeds had been wearing white.

• Like 3

Gillingham under pulis in the 90s.(I think) 

Swansea at home in their Prem promotion season 

It's the last two times similar to today, that I can recall watching an opposition side and just thinking "well their going up" 

Edited by The turtle
  • Like 2

20 minutes ago, OldlandReddies said:

You just know they will flump it again unfortunately

Like we fall away towards the end of the season when well placed !!

Maybe both teams will buck the trend this season 

Frustrating day at the office. We started brightly, and finished brightly. Leeds were, however, a very good side. 

Just interesting how we raised our game against the Likes of Man Utd and Man City, and held our own, yet Leeds came to us and looked like Champions League Winners. We have to be able to raise our game when the time is needed. Leeds looked ropey for the first 15-20 but after that were never really troubled by us as they moved up through the gears. 

Something isn't right with the motivation and the mentality of the team imo. 

• Like 3

Hate Leeds, goes back to the 60's at Elland Road but today they were on top of their game, wish we could play like that Lee.......................over to you

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WesM said:

...but I enjoyed the game today.

Take the allegiance out of it and the fact that our lads had a poor day as individuals and the collective and you are left admiring how good Leeds were.

They pressed and pressed all game, made the pitch as wide as they could and then played beautiful triangles of in the space created. Their movement was the best I’ve seen at AG for years. They were organised, disciplined and professional, with and without the ball.  They won’t be getting beat that often this season and I dare say anyone who finishes above them is going up. Big statement from one game but you can see the foundations are already in place for a good go at it.

Meanwhile, a few of our lads will have learnt a valuable lesson today. Men against boys for the most part and chased shadows for the rest. When we did get the ball, we wanted way to long to pick a pass and that was nearly always sideways or backwards.....as usual. No presence up front, not all fam’s fault but he does have the first touch of a brick wall, but no one near him and no chance of linking up with anyone.

One positive, Taylor Moore did well against Bamford who is no mug. Gave the ball way sloppily for the third, but thought he looked capable and may grow with games.

A harsh lesson from a very good side.

Bang on, their movement was breathtaking at times, they pulled us all over the pitch. Bielsa is a genuinely great coach, they're lucky to have him.

I did not enjoy watching it though haha.

28 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I liked their kit 

What, even the leatherette style shoulder panels?!

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, chinapig said:

I've enjoyed every Bielsa side I have seen, especially his Bilbao team. Intensity, rapid movement and accuracy combined.Just watching them leaves me out of breath!

The only equally viscerally exciting side I have seen in recent years was Klopp's Dortmund.

Brilliantly drilled , brilliantly

And to leave three across the front , sometimes 4. Something you can only even think of doing with a very clear plan and drilling on training ground

Thought despite their first teamers missing they were more impressive than they were last season at AG

• Like 5

They looked awful in the latter third of last season and bottled promotion. I'm gonna wait till we're at least 20 games in before I start noshing Biesla off. 

The supposed great manager who has pretty much no honours to his name. 

Edited by Kid in the Riot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Take nothing away from Leeds, very good. I'm not so surprised we lost, but the margin and ease is a concern.

Don't think we gave ourselves the best chance tactically though. Not so much with Moore at CB,  thinking also some of our general selections and setup.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

They looked awful in the latter third of last season and bottled promotion. I'm gonna wait till we're at least 20 games in before I start noshing Biesla off. 

True, but he has never been at an elite club. Their squad may be too small to sustain again though.

9 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

No honours but has massivley influenced the likes of Guardiola, Pochettino and Simeone tbf.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True, but he has never been at an elite club. Their squad may be too small to sustain again though.

He managed Argentina. Your comments beg the question of why he hasn't been at an elite club and why, if he's so good, is he at Leeds??

50 minutes ago, NorwichbasedWurzel said:

I liked their kit 

Really?!  Looked like something from one of the minor teams in the Tour de France. 

Phillips has a stupid hairstyle too. :P

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

He managed Argentina. Your comments beg the question of why he hasn't been at an elite club and why, if he's so good, is he at Leeds??

Fair comment. I think it's mainly  because he is a massive, massive pain in the arse haha.

Would you not class Marseille or Lazio as elite though? Short lived though those appointments obviously were!

Edited by Stortz

1 hour ago, Lordofthebling said:

Structured, attractive, dominating away performance. 

Men against boys for sure, it looked like they didnt even get out of third gear...

1-6 and we couldn't have argued

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

True, but Argentinian international football has been dysfunctional for a long time now. Nobody can harness all that talent it seems. Awash with political divisions.

His Chile side was exciting though and punched above its weight somewhat.

As to elite clubs, I'm not sure frankly. I suspect it's because he is so eccentric and often difficult to handle, as Lazio, Marseilles and Lille can attest.

In any event my point was that I have found his sides exciting to watch rather than anything else.

'ows about that then guys and gals, all aboard the Leeds Utd love-in.

You might have to stomach the fact that your City gave rise to the UK's worst ever mass child molester, but you have a mighty fine football team right now

Edited by AppyDAZE

8 minutes ago, Stortz said:

Fair comment. I think it's mainly  because he is a massive, massive pain in the arse haha.

Would you not class Marseille or Lazio as elite though? Short lived though those appointments obviously were!

2 minutes ago, chinapig said:

True, but Argentinian international football has been dysfunctional for a long time now. Nobody can harness all that talent it seems. Awash with political divisions.

His Chile side was exciting though and punched above its weight somewhat.

As to elite clubs, I'm not sure frankly. I suspect it's because he is so eccentric and often difficult to handle, as Lazio, Marseilles and Lille can attest.

In any event my point was that I have found his sides exciting to watch rather than anything else.

Fair. I just think his talent and legacy involve his talent identification as opposed to his man management ability. 

• Like 1

I thought they were excellent whilst we looked a little bit lost.

The consistent long ball to Fam was hugely frustrating as he won very few of them - don’t understand why we persist with this at all., try it now and again but not at nearly every opportunity.

We have a long way to go to be close to them.....a very long way.

Fair. I just think his talent and legacy involve his talent identification as opposed to his man management ability. 

I think it's more the tactical developments he introduced that mark him out as an exceptional coach personally.

That Chile side @chinapig mentions above was the blueprint.

I'd like to see the stats for errors. We made loads, they didn't. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChippenhamRed said:

It was terrible on the telly alongside our red though. Wasn’t contrasting enough. Not sure how it looked in the stadium.

Should be a simple rule for kits - you play the highest contrast kit you have compared with the home team. Would have been a much easier watch if Leeds had been wearing white.

I did wonder when Pack, for the second time, passed straight to a Leeds player if the colours were a problem for him!

5 minutes ago, Stortz said:

I think it's more the tactical developments he introduced that mark him out as an exceptional coach personally.

That Chile side @chinapig mentions above was the blueprint.

Exceptional coach that got done by a novice like Frank Lampard over two legs. Sorry, I'm not having it. 

Leeds will win the league this year 😭

• Like 1

Exceptional coach that got done by a novice like Frank Lampard over two legs. Sorry, I'm not having it. 

I meant his contribution as a whole not Leeds' most recent capitulation haha. They ran out of luck and energy last season, I'm not sure they will again.

I'm no dogmatic Bielsa accolyte, he annoys the shit out of me- but you have to give credit where it's due (spits).

• Like 1

They controlled possession and identified our weak spots.

Right back-although it was hard on Hunt as he had 2 men to mark. Like any number of teams last season they had one and often two men hugging the touch line waiting for the out ball.

Marlon- Pressured into mistakes and as usual found out for pace against the better sides.

Callum- failing to track or stay with his man

Fam- Isolated like Hunt and a oh so easy for the centre backs. Felt he should have come off earlier rather than Palmer .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, OddBallJim said:

Frustrating day at the office. We started brightly, and finished brightly. Leeds were, however, a very good side. 

Just interesting how we raised our game against the Likes of Man Utd and Man City, and held our own, yet Leeds came to us and looked like Champions League Winners. We have to be able to raise our game when the time is needed. Leeds looked ropey for the first 15-20 but after that were never really troubled by us as they moved up through the gears. 

Something isn't right with the motivation and the mentality of the team imo. 

I'm sorry but i have to disagree that we started brightly?...................And as to finishing brightly, the game was already lost, so it is inconsequential IMHO

1 minute ago, maxjak said:

I'm sorry but i have to disagree that we started brightly?...................And as to finishing brightly, the game was already lost, so it is inconsequential IMHO

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

We did press them high early in the game, and forced a lot of rushed backpasses to their keeper. He flapped at a few, and their defensive unit looked nervous. 

Then they turned on the style, and really were far too good for us.

36 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Ask Guardiola, Pochettino, Simeone and I believe Martino what they think of Bielsa. Tactically and technically he's excellent in many ways...

HOWEVER. He has a few blind spots. Don't especially rate Casilla eg. However he gets a lot out of his sides.

Off the pitch, he's done himself few favours..quitting Marseille after one game into his 2nd season in 2015/16. A year later he joined Lazio but he quit- fair enough but TWO DAYS!?!

This I'd suggest is and has proved a bigger hindrance to his career advancement than technically/tactically.

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

2 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

Fair enough, that's your opinion.

We did press them high early in the game, and forced a lot of rushed backpasses to their keeper. He flapped at a few, and their defensive unit looked nervous. 

Then they turned on the style, and really were far too good for us.

Maybe for "started brightly" we could read ......coped initially?  Then we were totally outclassed?

Just now, maxjak said:

Maybe for "started brightly" we could read ......coped initially?  Then we were totally outclassed?

:laugh: coped? I dunno! I thought we did okay to start with, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that!

But you are right, we were outclassed shortly after. And very porous in defence - just as we were in preseason. 

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Ask Guardiola, Pochettino, Simeone and I believe Martino what they think of Bielsa. Tactically and technically he's excellent in many ways...

HOWEVER. He has a few blind spots. Don't especially rate Casilla eg. However he gets a lot out of his sides.

Off the pitch, he's done himself few favours..quitting Marseille after one game into his 2nd season in 2015/16. A year later he joined Lazio but he quit- fair enough but TWO DAYS!?!

This I'd suggest is and has proved a bigger hindrance to his career advancement than technically/tactically.

Dont really care what they say about him...list his honours.  

31 minutes ago, OddBallJim said:

:laugh: coped? I dunno! I thought we did okay to start with, I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that!

But you are right, we were outclassed shortly after. And very porous in defence - just as we were in preseason. 

And considering pre season that's where we have spent most of our money to say I was a little disappointed that we have conceded 8 goals at home in the last two games would be an understatement.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Kid in the Riot said:

Dont really care what they say about him...list his honours.  

Not managed in Europe all that much.

You're also overlooking his baggage and the impact that can have on career prospects. Very challenging I imagine- that can be good but also has undoubted downsides?

Tactically and technically he could IMO manage top sides. With top sides he may well win.

Tbh he's come close to excellence a few times. In 2012 he reached 2 finals with Athletic Bilbao, he nearly transformed Leeds in one year ie 15th to promoted with not all that many changes. Took Marseille from bag average to title contenders in a year- nearly into CL fell at the last.

Suppose you're more a Rowett man.

To give an example though. Are you seriously telling me that Solskjaer or Lampard are more qualified in their respective roles? Laughable tbh. Would also add Wilder to that list. Likewise Valverde v Bielsa at Barcelona?

Edited by Mr Popodopolous

12 hours ago, The turtle said:

Gillingham under pulis in the 90s.(I think) 

Swansea at home in their Prem promotion season 

It's the last two times similar to today, that I can recall watching an opposition side and just thinking "well their going up" 

Forest at the Gate under Clough .

They formed a line to applaud our team onto the pitch then dismantled us with ease to stroll out three - nil winners .

An exceptional team.

Leeds we’re excellent. I was saying to my mate how they very rarely missed controlled the football. Helping with there fluency. Then watch us constantly miss control it making us very disjointed. Champions for me 

12 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

I did wonder when Pack, for the second time, passed straight to a Leeds player if the colours were a problem for him!

No....to be fair Pack just had a tosh game....hes been off the boil for two seasons now.....still plays week in week and week out....if Johnson wanted to show strong leadership....here's where the axe should fall first.....I'm assuming that the French wonderkid (who is seemingly like Modric) may well be the catalyst for this....time will tell