IGNORED

Oh well.....that was a footballing lesson

Robbored

2 hours ago, Robbored said:

I think it is Bob.

Todays players finished 8th last season and now three have signed for City. Obviously Webster has gone but certainly today Moore looked the part at CB against a very decent strike force.

With one or two more strikers LJ will have more options to vary his tactics especially during matches. That option was missing today. All he could do was call on last seasons options of Taylor and Eliasson. 

Plus......City won’t be up against Leeds every week. They were very very good today and City won’t be the only team that they beat comfortably. Plenty of other clubs are for similar footballing lessons.

Thanks after spending the best part of £20 million pre season expected a bit more to be honest leeds have not been in the top flight for years get no parachute payments yet gae us a football lesson today care to explain that to me.

1 hour ago, RedRock said:

Wow. They had the better individuals, team,  tactics and manager.

As inept as we were, they were excellent. 

No idea what we did pre-season. Whatever it was, we must not do it again. Lethargic, disorganised and clueless.

An £8 million centre back should not stand off an attacker like that. Taylor-Moore should not be letting an attacker across him on the near post and the third was just a shambles. Lumping it up to an isolated Fammy is never going to work, even at a Conference level. Palmer needs to get within 5 yards of him constantly, not drift out off to the wings. Midfield went awol, totally anonymous.

Shockingly poor.

To spunk £8 million on an untried, foreign ‘one for the future’ youngster is bordering on reckless when you look how far behind we are, measured against the elite. Rather than Monaco, time would have been far better spent in Rotherham. 

3 hours ago, Robbored said:

Disappointing performance and result but fair play to Bielsa out thought LJ comprehensively. Leeds were better than us in every department. They were well drilled, pressed impressively and prevented City from putting more than three passes together and if Leeds don’t finish in the top two I’ll be very surprised.

Given his resources there wasn’t much LJ could do to stop Leeds. They bossed midfield, poor old Famara got very little service. Their full back overlapping at every opportunity. I was really impressed with them and makes me appreciate even more how much better need to be to be in the mix come April/May next year.

Some around me were complaining about playing one up top and that it was no different to last season as was most of the team. Only Taylor Moore was the difference - who I thought had a decent game but according to MA we can expect more signings before the window closes.

Fact is, we got taught a lesson today.....

2 hours ago, Alex_BCFC said:

The resources are there - sadly LJ got tactics and team selection wrong. Leeds are a better side no doubt but that doesn’t mean you just let them turn up and win easy like today. 

Posted elsewhere that there seems to be this belief that Leeds should be better then us.

Lets be honest there really isn’t an awful lot different resource wise, they’ve just managed to get it right and ambitiously want promotion.

They have no parachute payments, have been in div 3 for 3 of the last fifteen years and not in the prem since 2004.

Fair play to them if that’s what they've somehow assembled .

Just now, pillred said:

Thanks after spending the best part of £20 million pre season expected a bit more to be honest leeds have not been in the top flight for years get no parachute payments yet gae us a football lesson today care to explain that to me.

Bielsa.........he’s a top top coach and someone that LJ admires greatly.

35 minutes ago, Up The City! said:

Leeds will once again be up there this season so losing to them shouldn't be seen as the end of the world.

Why do you think this is given they’re resources and league performance over the last 15 years?

It’s a genuine question. Leeds have no premier league money nor are they hanging on to a premier league squad given they haven’t been in the top flight for 15 years. 

10 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

Not if you’re demanding others delete their accounts - that’s saying you don’t wish to hear their views anymore - thereby banning their right to express their views and opinions, because you don’t agree with them - slippery slope ...

Demanding?...? You try way too hard...

I don’t wish to hear their views anymore so I won’t be reading them.

I thought Leeds were far slicker and looked fitter than City.

All their players were neat on the ball and they looked lean and athletic to a man.

Some City players simply don't look athletic enough to me - e.g. Pack, Patterson, Hunt, and on today's performance Da Silva.

The Leeds fans I was behind walking to the Nova afterwards were saying they had predicted a 3-1 scoreline - to 'Bristol', so they didn't feel the team they put out today are anything special, it's more that our tactics and imo. fitness were insufficient to give them a good game.

Today was like so many disappointing home games last season where City didn't appear a confident, cohesive or creative team on our own pitch, and were 2nd best in so many ways.

17 minutes ago, 054123 said:

Why do you think this is given they’re resources and league performance over the last 15 years?

It’s a genuine question. Leeds have no premier league money nor are they hanging on to a premier league squad given they haven’t been in the top flight for 15 years. 

You keep pushing this, don't you? We've been owned by crooks for years, only now has out chairman give us a fighting chance. 

We're the biggest club in the league, sell outs week in, week out with the highest merchandise numbers in the league by far. Parachute payment teams are never guaranteed success due to the hangover so I'd say we have as good a chance as anyone with the master Bielsa in charge.

You seem quite hurt about the fact Leeds United might be a decent outfit.

As I've posted on another thread, today had nothing to do with the players we have or don't have. It was entirely down to the tactics Bielsa employed which we had no answer to.

I would encourage anybody to watch the game again and see how Leeds created a massive overload of players down our righthand side. That inevitably made either Josh or Kalas to get pulled out wide to cover which created space in the middle for Hernandez to exploit. 

Leeds were excellent to get back into shape on turnover which negated our tactics of playing narrow in attack. LJ tried to give us width in the second half but the game was dead by then.

Leeds were a masterclass in passing, possession and pressing - we well? We were there a in continuation from last season, just.

what logic was there in our best crosser not starting? Palmer was interesting until he got tippy tappy when under pressure and lost the ball instead of passing it, pack was to say the least underwhelming, Weiman still played out of position, FFS he scores goals when he is allowed to come inside! Moore was MOM in my opinion, another youngster who has been sidelined too long! Sorry but Famara has still missed the boat when it comes to playing football, he cant! As a lone forward he is useless. Patterson is certainly not my favourite player, but when he came on he did his usual and avoided getting involved, but only for a very short time, DaSilvas ball down the line set him off in space and he showed his potential again! The blame for today?? I know who I blame,  but then he has never been up to the job in my opinion - Give the craftsman the correct tools and he is master, if he don’t know how to use them then he is not much of a craftsman!

17 minutes ago, RED4LIFE said:

As I've posted on another thread, today had nothing to do with the players we have or don't have. It was entirely down to the tactics Bielsa employed which we had no answer to.

I would encourage anybody to watch the game again and see how Leeds created a massive overload of players down our righthand side. That inevitably made either Josh or Kalas to get pulled out wide to cover which created space in the middle for Hernandez to exploit. 

Leeds were excellent to get back into shape on turnover which negated our tactics of playing narrow in attack. LJ tried to give us width in the second half but the game was dead by then.

They did that all last season , it’s a Bielsa trait , so how were we so surprised and exploited ?

Iirc there’s even a video explaining his tactical approach if our coaching staff needed any heads up

We didn't play well but lost to a team that just missed out on promotion last year and are tipped as many people's favourites for automatic this year. 

Don't lose sight of the fact that two of the other hot favourites Cardiff and Fulham lost to Wigan and Barnsley - as a fan I think I'd be far more concerned at a result like that than losing to Leeds.

10 hours ago, VidukasBox said:

You keep pushing this, don't you? We've been owned by crooks for years, only now has out chairman give us a fighting chance. 

We're the biggest club in the league, sell outs week in, week out with the highest merchandise numbers in the league by far. Parachute payment teams are never guaranteed success due to the hangover so I'd say we have as good a chance as anyone with the master Bielsa in charge.

?Quite the opposite mate.

Doesnt it annoy you that teams and fans assume your like Villa or Stoke and that you just have premiership money or an inherited prem squad and that you must be amazing from 1-11?

What a compliment that this is all untrue and that yes you have more loyal fans then most, but you really don’t have anywhere near the resources of these yo yo prem teams.

You are far closer to us in terms of resources than any team that’s bounced around the prem for the last 5 years and yet you’ve assembled a team and manager that everyone accepts are shoe ins for automatic. 

On yesterday’s performance they’re probably right.

The point I am raising to our fans is how is this done?

11 hours ago, VidukasBox said:

Just re reading this and laughing.

You only emphasis my point further ??

12 hours ago, Up The City! said:

Whilst it was disappointing to lose, we always lose against Leeds so not a game I really expected us to win. 

Leeds will once again be up there this season so losing to them shouldn't be seen as the end of the world.

In a weird kind of way I'm kind of glad we lost, imagine had we won? Whilst it would have been nice it may have seen us go with what we got already, by losing it firmly puts pressure on us to bring players in.

It's the way we got beat. I think most thought we would struggle to get anything.

It's frustrating, what happened to the style of play we had against Man Utd / City and in glimpse saw, with one touch football, running, creating space and overloads all over the pitch - last season was pretty much set up not to lose with one up front (that worked ok for us away, was pretty dismal to watch at home) and it seems how we set up today. I was really hoping Lee's Bristol City style of play would have taken shape by now, is it really big man upfront/longballs like we saw for long spells last season and today ? How many times have we heard "it's not what they were instructed to do" "to many long balls" "isolated" from Lee , and yet we still keep doing it. What is our style/shape/formation ?  You can't help but think Leeds (like Cardiff/Wolves etc) will keep to the same style all season with just minor tactical changes to exploit a player/formation - whereas we seem to chop and change constantly in a bid to outhink/worry about the opposition, and it hardly ever seems to work.

Archived