IGNORED

LJ, those first 60 minutes are on you...

Bristol is red

... awful, awful tactics first half.  Showed far too much respect first half and clearly setup defensively.  Both Dasilva and Hunt during the first 30 minutes were clearly told to hold back with niether making runs past O'Dowda/Weinmann.  This massively hurt us as those out wide had no support which forced us to go centrally and made it so easy for Leeds.

Slow, ponderous and unsure what to do when we won the ball back in defense meant we struggled to play out from the back  almost like they didn't know if to attack or not which killed any chance of a counter attack. This often led to a long ball up to fammy.

Contrast that to leeds who as soon as they won the ball knew exactly what to do and got into positions to allow them to play out.  When that failed they knew they could just hit it to the channel's out wide knowing there would be a player there to chase/recieve it.

Diedhiou up top on his own at home, again? Lee, please, stop.... please.  I really feel sorry for the bloke,  no one within 20 yards of him. So he wins the header, whose he meant to head it too? Has LJ not learnt from last season?  What was worse was this wasn't fixed at half time, once Weimann was moved up top later on to support Diedhiou, we started to win it back up top as there were players to pick up the headers and bits and pieces.  Honestly Weimann is full of running, having him or a new striker buzzing around Diedhiou is the way forward if your using him to play as a target man.

By the time Lee had fixed his tactics and team the game was already lost.  

On a positive note, liked the look of Taylor Moore, a few maurauding runs forward when he was allowed to attack in the second half.  Looks promising.  

Should of started 442 

Bielsa always plays 3 at back when anyone plays 2 up front.

phillips would of sat deeper and wouldn’t of been as dangerous.

Thats how Leeds got caught out last season and again once we go 2 up front Phillips drops deep. 

They looked a different team then, we must attack teams at home not sit and try to counteract them, that’s are biggest problem.

8 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Doubt Lee will read that 

He shouldn't need to, he's the Head Coach and by now should know how to select a team and tactics to at least give Leeds a hard time,  not make it easy for them. Which apart from the last 15 minutes certainly was.

13 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

... awful, awful tactics first half.  Showed far too much respect first half and clearly setup defensively.  Both Dasilva and Hunt during the first 30 minutes were clearly told to hold back with niether making runs past O'Dowda/Weinmann.  This massively hurt us as those out wide had no support which forced us to go centrally and made it so easy for Leeds.

Slow, ponderous and unsure what to do when we won the ball back in defense meant we struggled to play out from the back  almost like they didn't know if to attack or not which killed any chance of a counter attack. This often led to a long ball up to fammy.

Contrast that to leeds who as soon as they won the ball knew exactly what to do and got into positions to allow them to play out.  When that failed they knew they could just hit it to the channel's out wide knowing there would be a player there to chase/recieve it.

Diedhiou up top on his own at home, again? Lee, please, stop.... please.  I really feel sorry for the bloke,  no one within 20 yards of him. So he wins the header, whose he meant to head it too? Has LJ not learnt from last season?  What was worse was this wasn't fixed at half time, once Weimann was moved up top later on to support Diedhiou, we started to win it back up top as there were players to pick up the headers and bits and pieces.  Honestly Weimann is full of running, having him or a new striker buzzing around Diedhiou is the way forward if your using him to play as a target man.

By the time Lee had fixed his tactics and team the game was already lost.  

On a positive note, liked the look of Taylor Moore, a few maurauding runs forward when he was allowed to attack in the second half.  Looks promising.  

On the whole. Agreed

Johnson's homework is to write out 500 times:

FAMMY IS NOT A LONE STRIKER

Followed by 500 times writing

WEIMANN IS NOT A WIDE PLAYER 

And then 500 times

I MUST BUY A CENTRAL MIDFIELDER TO ALLOW ME TO SUB MARLON PACK WHEN HE IS PLAYING POORLY

Christ, he's only had a full season to learn this....   :grr:

15 minutes ago, Bristol is red said:

Agree, ideally you'd want Palmer in the hole behind a front two. That's where he performs best imo.

352 is made for him. But also if we get someone like Nketiah then 4411 might work. We really need to start putting together a team of players that suit each other.

1 hour ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Should of started 442 

Thats how Leeds got caught out last season and again once we go 2 up front Phillips drops deep. 

They looked a different team then, we must attack teams at home not sit and try to counteract them, that’s are biggest problem.

Dunno about 4-4-2, certainly not if we wanted to compete for possession and to take the impetus.

36 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

And then 500 times

I MUST BUY A CENTRAL MIDFIELDER TO ALLOW ME TO SUB MARLON PACK WHEN HE IS PLAYING POORLY

Almost 2 seasons 

11 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Dunno about 4-4-2, certainly not if we wanted to compete for possession and to take the impetus.

Went 442 game changed shape for Bielsa is insistent on dropping Phillips between the 2 CB when teams play 2 up front. Forced them back and meant Phillips wasn’t as influential. Midfield was more even and we had a chance to get the ball in there for one less player in there.

Couldn’t work out what we were playing first 60 mins players up top just drifted everywhere no shape and we were tore apart. Needed to stay solid and force Leeds back. Weimann was left, centre, right. Palmer was way to deep leaving Fammy on his own isolated.

We had no one sat in front of the back 4 at all which left gaps constantly around our box. 442 keeps your shape and makes us more solid defensively. 

56 minutes ago, Red-Robbo said:

And then 500 times

This x 1 billion

1 hour ago, Red-Robbo said:

And then 500 times

If only...

5 hours ago, wayne allisons tongues said:

Should of started 442 

Very astute.

Maybe I'm too used to other sports but LJ's comments in the media can't be good for team morale. To me it's pretty basic in any team sport; the idea is to assemble the best players you can for your circumstances and culture then get them to play as more than the sum of their parts to be as successful as you possibly can. Of course it's easier said than done but for the first part I think LJ has assembled a fairly decent squad who should be aiming for a playoff spot (automatic promotion is probably too much at this stage), and he's doing well with making money on outgoings. 

The second part is where LJ isn't so good IMO. Do we all think he is getting the most out of this squad? Selections, tactics? I'm not going to pretend to be the most knowledgeable on the finer points of the round ball game but to my eyes today (and at other points last season) there doesn't seem to be much of a team but more a collection of individuals. I'm not sure it's a lack of effort for the majority but is it a lack of clarity on systems? A lack of belief/confidence? Oddly it seems to happen at home games more than away, do the players feel less pressured so can focus on LJ's allegedly complex systems? 

Which then brings me to the comments today. Even if they aren't as good individually as the opposition, a good tactician and leader will give their team the best shot of winning a tough encounter by providing their players a suitable framework to work from for that specific match. Can we honestly say that was the case for the majority of today vs Leeds? The changes late on seem to indicate no. So why say you need to replace half the team today when you haven't given them a fair chance from the outset? Do you think those players you've said aren't good enough and will be replaced will play out of their skin for you with bodies on the line?

How to fix things? Perhaps LJ needs more assistance with specific match planning/analysis going forward? In general we are moving in the right direction as league position, financials and attendances back this up. Could we be better though? I think so.

41 minutes ago, Rinkadink said:

Maybe I'm too used to other sports but LJ's comments in the media can't be good for team morale. To me it's pretty basic in any team sport; the idea is to assemble the best players you can for your circumstances and culture then get them to play as more than the sum of their parts to be as successful as you possibly can. Of course it's easier said than done but for the first part I think LJ has assembled a fairly decent squad who should be aiming for a playoff spot (automatic promotion is probably too much at this stage), and he's doing well with making money on outgoings. 

The second part is where LJ isn't so good IMO. Do we all think he is getting the most out of this squad? Selections, tactics? I'm not going to pretend to be the most knowledgeable on the finer points of the round ball game but to my eyes today (and at other points last season) there doesn't seem to be much of a team but more a collection of individuals. I'm not sure it's a lack of effort for the majority but is it a lack of clarity on systems? A lack of belief/confidence? Oddly it seems to happen at home games more than away, do the players feel less pressured so can focus on LJ's allegedly complex systems? 

Which then brings me to the comments today. Even if they aren't as good individually as the opposition, a good tactician and leader will give their team the best shot of winning a tough encounter by providing their players a suitable framework to work from for that specific match. Can we honestly say that was the case for the majority of today vs Leeds? The changes late on seem to indicate no. So why say you need to replace half the team today when you haven't given them a fair chance from the outset? Do you think those players you've said aren't good enough and will be replaced will play out of their skin for you with bodies on the line?

How to fix things? Perhaps LJ needs more assistance with specific match planning/analysis going forward? In general we are moving in the right direction as league position, financials and attendances back this up. Could we be better though? I think so.

I think you're being a little unfair. Leeds had the game won so took their foot off the gas, so I don't think it's right to say the changes made could have seen us get a result had we started that way.

Sometimes you just have to admit the opposition were better than us. 

Maybe what we saw today was the absolute best we could have got out of our team on this particular day against that particular opposition? 

It's a very fine line but I don't think we were bad, I just think Leeds were better than us. There is things we could have done better, but by the same token I always felt as if Leeds had the ability to go up through the gears if they needed to, but they didn't need to.

Our players looked absolutely knackered.

Leeds are a far better side, but when you give them additional time in possession and put yourself under further pressure because you can't make simple passes and have no spacial awareness then you're making the job even harder. 

Our passing accuracy was pub level for 70 of the 90. 

Get the basics right ffs. 

The thing I noticed today was that leeds were almost playing with 4 up front and really spreading and blocking our defence, they had the extra 2 from central midfield where they also bossed us. Basically in possession they went really high up the pitch as if they were wide strikers and always went down the wings before cutting in, out of possession they held that central position and just blocked us using it. If we had found a way of breaking quickly through the middle we would have been ok but they were waspy and every time we had the ball they pressed the ball player and cut off our passing.

Compare that to us who had 1 up front, stood off and allowed them to pass and lacked any real movement.

Yeah they were better than us but what can we do about it? I would love for us to be able to play like that and we basically did the season before last but we changed it for a slower pace last season to increase stamina across the season I think but we haven't been able to pick it up consistently ever since. Why can Leeds play with that intensity and keep it going for most of the season and we can't? 

Watching from the Lansdown stand, I was struck by the difference in the 2 benches.  Body Language, communication, team work.  Ours looked like a load of individuals.  Leeds looked focused.  I can see a scenario where if we have a poor start, our manager will be under some pressure.  That was not good enough today and we need to bounce back quickly.

If we want to play a more intense, pressing game, we need to re-sign Bobby Reid..

31 minutes ago, BS4 on Tour... said:

... in the first game of the season - that bodes well ...

I think we got the Florida tour all wrong, we had a pre season here and then went away and effectively had another pre season over there, in extreme temperatures too. We then came back and played games whilst the players had jet lag. Leeds looked fresh which is what you would expect at the start, we looked like we have been ran into the ground. 

I think the biggest mistake was the starting line up. 

Why start COD over Eliasson? Eliasson had the better pre-season, COD played LB for the majority of it. Eliasson is arguably the better player and wants to be here. 

Why start Palmer over Pato/Szmodics? Palmer had virtually no pre-season with the team. Pato tried and tested, or Szmodics the stand out performer throughout pre-season.  

Archived