IGNORED

Bielsa is a world class coach. Why can't BCFC appoint a world class coach

southvillekiddy

5 minutes ago, marcofisher said:

And this is my point exactly, has hasn’t been at a club for longer than 2 years in his career! 

We have all seen his abilities as a tactician, but that doesn’t necessarily make him world class.

I would be curious to know how his wage at Leeds compares to other championship managers.

Don't think we're quite talking about the same thing tbh, but my overall point is baggage/unpredictability (not in a good way) outstrips somewhat tactical and technically- or maybe the same thing but from a different angle. Very difficult to work with but talented nonetheless. Google Man Utd 2-3 Athletic Bilbao 2012. I also rather liked his Chile side in WC 2010 I think it was- he crashed and burned with Argentina in 2002 but that was a very curious WC.

25 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Don't think we're quite talking about the same thing tbh, but my overall point is baggage/unpredictability (not in a good way) outstrips somewhat tactical and technically- or maybe the same thing but from a different angle. Very difficult to work with but talented nonetheless. Google Man Utd 2-3 Athletic Bilbao 2012. I also rather liked his Chile side in WC 2010 I think it was- he crashed and burned with Argentina in 2002 but that was a very curious WC.

He is certainly volatile and not someone our owner would choose to work with although I don't think that was the OPs suggestion anyway.

I guess the question is at what stage does a coach become as good as he is ever going to get, and at that stage, is there anyone out there who is an upgrade.

That exercise won't happen here in view of the dynamic between the owner and the coach and it is possible (just possible) that the club will not progress as a consequence.

Lets see where we are next May eh !

There have been a few comments here about LJ signing 50 odd players since being manager. I dont know whether that is correct or not, but this isnt evidence of failure. I bet the average transfer fee of those players is under a million, and in the current player market that is peanuts. At the prices we pay, we are taking a punt to a large extent - the player may succeed or fail and there are no guarantees. Im sure someone has done an analysis but of all those signings have they increased in value ? Probably in most cases yes.

Sometimes you need to take a higher view. Compare where we are now to 5,10, 20 years ago on and off the pitch and i dont think anyone can reasonably say we are not in good health.  I know we all want to spunk 50 million on players but we are not ready for that yet. Hopefully soon

7 hours ago, Loon plage said:

Fact is, I am absolutely convinced that a better coach would have gotten us a damn sight closer the past 2 seasons, and I fail to see why the focus always seems to be on the playing side, when any organisation should look to improve everywhere.

Exactly. I would love a world class manager, but I would definitely settle for a manager that has one, just one, promotion on his cv.

Steve Lansdown has imposed two conditions on Bristol City getting promotion to the Premier League.

1. We have to sell our best players and make a profit along the way.

2. We have the Work Experience Crew in charge as we do it. 

Since the Championship is the most viciously competitive league in the world, I don't think we can do it with those two conditions in place. One, maybe. Not two. 

Archived