IGNORED

Steward who fell over the netting in the away end...

Rich VFR

58 minutes ago, Ska Junkie said:

Well played yesterday by the way, I was very impressed with Leeds.

It'll be interesting to see how Leeds get on in the next few weeks.

They did look good but how much of that was down to City's team selection, tactics, and general sluggishness on the day?

I overheard some Leeds fans after the game saying they got the 3-1 scoreline right, but had expected the winners to be 'Bristol.'

They hadn't been confident in their team so maybe we made them look better than they are?

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

FWIW, the 2.6k you give out sounds about right to me - easily enough to add to the atmosphere without away fans - always more vociferous - 'taking over' visually and vocally, and I understood City's away allocation was at about that number this season

With all the Leeds flags across the black netting I thought they did 'take over' visually yesterday.

1 minute ago, Laner said:

With all the Leeds flags across the black netting I thought they did 'take over' visually yesterday.

I was thinking more of a mass of fans in colours behind the goal - lots of big flags are not unusual even with much smaller followings.

1 hour ago, Verloc said:

OK. I understand what you are saying. I just thought clubs also wanted to maximise the income/revenue they received at each and every home game. So if 1k or 2k or how ever many seats are left empty, then obviously that reduces the income Bristol City receive from that game.  

The more money clubs receive off the league through TV deals and transfers etc the less the money from 1000 tickets or so matters, so things like reduced police required, less fans who could cause trouble (don't want to say they would but there has been previous at AG) and potentially reducing atmosphere from away fans are all things that start to be considered, shame for fans though.

5 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I was thinking more of a mass of fans in colours behind the goal - lots of big flags are not unusual even with much smaller followings.

So let's not give them a very central and obvious place to lay the flags - especially as most are  St George's crosses with white backgrounds that stand out well on black netting,

Blocking the section directly behind and to the sides of the goal is fine. But I'd suggest looking at something else to break-up the sections of netting elsewhere.

However, I'd be happy if we concentrated on sorting things out on the pitch first!!

19 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

City have been giving out excessive allocations on occasions for purely financial reasons and, apart from the extra income, it has often proved detrimental in terms of reduced home advantage, more trouble etc.

It does seem that the clubs who want extra tickets tend to be the ones whose extra allocation is more likely to include troublemakers, as we saw with Swansea last season.

Would you be happy Leeds having a system where you gave the whole area behind one goal, and basically a sixth of capacity, over to away fans? City have done just that in the past but hopefully now learnt their lesson.

Presumably a few Yorkshire rivals could fill a much increased away allocation at ER, but would you want to give them the opportunity? 

FWIW, the 2.6k you give out sounds about right to me - easily enough to add to the atmosphere without away fans - always more vociferous - 'taking over' visually and vocally, and I understood City's away allocation was at about that number this season.

A similar number then, but City still giving out a higher percentage capacity wise.

I agree with what you have said there. At one point we gave away fans the whole of the South Stand (directly behind 1 goal) and this held about 3300-3500. Then the away section was switched to the SE corner (about 1700). Eventually moved to section of West Stand with around 2600 due to requirement for minimum of 2000. Disadvantage for away supporters is that West Stand tickets cost more than either South Stand or SE corner tickets.

11 minutes ago, hodge said:

The more money clubs receive off the league through TV deals and transfers etc the less the money from 1000 tickets or so matters, so things like reduced police required, less fans who could cause trouble (don't want to say they would but there has been previous at AG) and potentially reducing atmosphere from away fans are all things that start to be considered, shame for fans though.

Understand and agree with what you have said there. Though according to a poster higher up this thread there WAS a large police presence yesterday, even with a smaller away support.

Just now, Verloc said:

Understand and agree with what you have said there. Though according to a poster higher up this thread there WAS a large police presence yesterday, even with a smaller away support.

That will then be dependant on club by club basis, history of Leeds fans at AG probably contributed to an increased presence 

2 hours ago, Verloc said:

OK, I'm with you now?As a side issue, is your owner incredibly wealthy? Not really clued up on the personal wealth of Mr Lansdown.

I don’t really know the wealth of other clubs owners but I believe Mr Lansdown is now worth a couple of billion pounds (give or take a few million pounds (as he could)).

1 hour ago, Verloc said:

Go back and read my first post. I didn't come on here for an argument. Looks like you did. I came on to ask a question, which other people have now answered?

I’ll say it again. You mentioned there being complaining about the allocation - not me - so I’m not ‘here for an argument’ at all - I’m merely pointing pointing out the hypocrisy if that is indeed some of your fans POV seeing as you give less with a ground with a bigger capacity. 

23 minutes ago, lenred said:

I’ll say it again. You mentioned there being complaining about the allocation - not me - so I’m not ‘here for an argument’ at all - I’m merely pointing pointing out the hypocrisy if that is indeed some of your fans POV seeing as you give less with a ground with a bigger capacity. 

OK. Some of our fans do indeed complain because they might not think about the wider issues. I'm on here as an individual asking a question though, I'm not representing the LUFC fanbase as a whole, if you see what I mean. Anyway, my question's been answered so thanks for the help of you and others. Good luck for the season ahead? I think both teams could do with signing 1 or 2 players over the next few days.? 

I still don't understand why we can't put home fans in the atyeo, and have a bit of segregation. 

Just like last season, we make it easy for the away team to attack the end containing exclusively their own fans, generally in the 2nd half.

LJ mentioned it last season. But the figures are stark. We only scored 7 goals at that end last season, whilst conceding over 20+. It's like giving the away team a 12th man in my opinion.

I think it would make a difference to our home form to at least attack both ends that have some home fans in it.

I still don't know why we don't put the away fans in the upper Lansdown towards the atyeo. It just seems beyond naive on our part.

4 minutes ago, Verloc said:

OK. Some of our fans do indeed complain because they might not think about the wider issues. I'm on here as an individual asking a question though, I'm not representing the LUFC fanbase as a whole, if you see what I mean. Anyway, my question's been answered so thanks for the help of you and others. Good luck for the season ahead? I think both teams could do with signing 1 or 2 players over the next few days.? 

Genuinely nice to be visited by polite and reasonable fans from other clubs.

On the ticket allocation I don't know how others feel but being visited by your guys, or Villa, or at a push Wednesday, feels to me like inviting along a massed choir of hostile middle aged men. Everyone appears more or less the same age, knows the songs, everyone sings...it's an impressive, intimidating and extremely irritating display if you are on the receiving end! I can't think it helps the performance of any home club. Hence, I guess, why Villa stick the travelling fans in an anonymous corner and Newcastle send them into space...and why other clubs might limit the invitations.

Although your lot are a bit 'the gift that keeps giving' for those who don't like Leeds I wish you luck for the season. Looked a class above us yesterday in every department.

8 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

I still don't understand why we can't put home fans in the atyeo, and have a bit of segregation. 

Just like last season, we make it easy for the away team to attack the end containing exclusively their own fans, generally in the 2nd half.

LJ mentioned it last season. But the figures are stark. We only scored 7 goals at that end last season, whilst conceding over 20+. It's like giving the away team a 12th man in my opinion.

I think it would make a difference to our home form to at least attack both ends that have some home fans in it.

I still don't know why we don't put the away fans in the upper Lansdown towards the atyeo. It just seems beyond naive on our part.

I think one of the reasons away fans at Elland Road ended up in part of the West Stand rather than being behind the goals in the South Stand was that the then manager (Simon Grayson) was happy for that to happen.

4 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

On the ticket allocation I don't know how others feel but being visited by your guys, or Villa, or at a push Wednesday, feels to me like inviting along a massed choir of hostile middle aged men. Everyone appears more or less the same age, knows the songs, everyone sings...it's an impressive, intimidating and extremely irritating display if you are on the receiving end! I can't think it helps the performance of any home club. Hence, I guess, why Villa stick the travelling fans in an anonymous corner and Newcastle send them into space...and why other clubs might limit the invitations.

Although your lot are a bit 'the gift that keeps giving' for those who don't like Leeds I wish you luck for the season. Looked a class above us yesterday in every department.

Thank you for the positive things said there. I come on to discuss or debate or chat. Always interesting to hear things from the POV of the supporter(s) of another team. I don't 'hate' any other football club or it's supporter base as a whole. So not really any reason to insult or abuse. Because every club has good and not-so-good people in their ranks. And I agree with/understand the argument about putting away supporters in a corner/down the side/up in the gods etc.   

53 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

I don’t really know the wealth of other clubs owners but I believe Mr Lansdown is now worth a couple of billion pounds (give or take a few million pounds (as he could)).

@VerlocA  Billionaire, self made,  through his financial business, Hargreaves Lansdown. 

He is pretty shrewd though, almost ‘tight’ by football standards ( and I don’t think he would mind me saying so). He has invested in the redevelopment of the stadium, but as much to boost non matchday business as necessity. The stadium is used most days for conferences, exhibitions, parties etc. He has always said the stadium has to pay for itself and the football club has to stand on its own two feet, hence the selling of our assets.

Yes we couldn’t stand in the way of players going to the Premier League, but selling for much higher than we have paid is something we have done for two years now. We have also bought a few through our academy system. In the past we have usually had players we have paid over the odds for at the end of their careers with no resale value. Steve L believes in the academy and developing youth knowing there might be a shot at the Premier League or money to be made. I think he wants both but it’s not that easy is it. 

So basically yup he’s mega rich but not reckless when it comes to his clubs ( owns Bristol Bears rugby club too and Bristol Flyers basketball), being a financial man he doesn’t flout the financial rules unlike many other clubs. 

12 minutes ago, RedM said:

@VerlocA  Billionaire, self made,  through his financial business, Hargreaves Lansdown. 

He is pretty shrewd though, almost ‘tight’ by football standards ( and I don’t think he would mind me saying so). He has invested in the redevelopment of the stadium, but as much to boost non matchday business as necessity. The stadium is used most days for conferences, exhibitions, parties etc. He has always said the stadium has to pay for itself and the football club has to stand on its own two feet, hence the selling of our assets.

Yes we couldn’t stand in the way of players going to the Premier League, but selling for much higher than we have paid is something we have done for two years now. We have also bought a few through our academy system. In the past we have usually had players we have paid over the odds for at the end of their careers with no resale value. Steve L believes in the academy and developing youth knowing there might be a shot at the Premier League or money to be made. I think he wants both but it’s not that easy is it. 

So basically yup he’s mega rich but not reckless when it comes to his clubs ( owns Bristol Bears rugby club too and Bristol Flyers basketball), being a financial man he doesn’t flout the financial rules unlike many other clubs. 

Thanks. Have to go out but will reply later. 

3 hours ago, Verloc said:

Yes, I think so. Assuming he makes a full recovery from his injury. Think he's out for about 4 weeks from memory. He'll be the first choice right back with players like Dallas or Shackleton or Berardi as cover.

Thanks. I’ve always rated Dallas but, perhaps, not as a defender.

3 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Ha ha, so true, and a similar composition age wise to our own fans in may ways, though we'd be more varied in terms of age and gender at away matches.

I came across a number of groups of Leeds fans yesterday, mostly in groups of 4 or 5, all blokes and aged over 60 I'd say. They were all fine, voices never exactly hushed but not seeking any sort of confrontation.

The only bothersome group I came across were about eight 25 -30 year olds who made a point of leaving the pavement to wander loudly over to the doorway of the Nova Scotia before aggressively chanting 'we're going up as f****** champions' to the assembled City fans inside and outside the pub.

I happened to be stood just outside the NS on my own waiting for someone so was right in amongst them. The chanting was literally right in my ear - not pleasant to be in the middle of such inebriated loudmouths who could so easily have started a brawl.

Thankfully they were ignored/laughed off by the City fans -  shouts of "bedtime!"  in response - and wandered away fairly quickly, but who knows how many more of this more aggressive and trouble seeking type would have taken advantage of the extra allocation should we have given them one?

22 minutes ago, Verloc said:

Thank you for the positive things said there. I come on to discuss or debate or chat. Always interesting to hear things from the POV of the supporter(s) of another team. I don't 'hate' any other football club or it's supporter base as a whole. So not really any reason to insult or abuse. Because every club has good and not-so-good people in their ranks. And I agree with/understand the argument about putting away supporters in a corner/down the side/up in the gods etc.   

I believe another factor is the paltry allocation that other clubs have given to us in the last three years. We're never going to take many to Deepdale on a Tuesday evening.

On the other hand, assuming we are in the top half of the league, places like WBA, Reading, Fulham, any midland club, Cardiff and Swansea on a Saturday we could easily take four or five thousand. Yet we get minimal allocations like 2,000 at Villa or 1,500 at Cardiff. So maybe a bit of "You get what you give to us" retribution?

44 minutes ago, Verloc said:

I think one of the reasons away fans at Elland Road ended up in part of the West Stand rather than being behind the goals in the South Stand was that the then manager (Simon Grayson) was happy for that to happen.

Kind of outlines my point about us being naive.

59 minutes ago, ncnsbcfc said:

Kind of outlines my point about us being naive.

Pretty sure this has been gone through on here by varied people (not me).

Something about the layout of the Lansdown doesn't allow for it or so if I've read on here. Besides which, the upper Lansdown is now somewhat family and corporate is it not? Logistical issues getting it rejigged.

Whatever the away allocation is, away fans in the Atyeo, then segregration- then whatever is left over for home fans. Would the club/SAG etc go for it though?

31 minutes ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Pretty sure this has been gone through on here by varied people (not me).

Something about the layout of the Lansdown doesn't allow for it or so if I've read on here. Besides which, the upper Lansdown is now somewhat family and corporate is it not? Logistical issues getting it rejigged.

Whatever the away allocation is, away fans in the Atyeo, then segregration- then whatever is left over for home fans. Would the club/SAG etc go for it though?

I reckon logistical issues must have been overcome at other clubs in their determination to remove away fans from the limelight - Villa for instance - so that both ends could be occupied by home fans.

3 hours ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I reckon logistical issues must have been overcome at other clubs in their determination to remove away fans from the limelight - Villa for instance - so that both ends could be occupied by home fans.

We await your suggestions- be sure to send them to Mark Ashton and Mark Kelly, and if they ever reveal themselves, the SAG?

14 hours ago, RedM said:

I'll have to have a look at your accounts sometime, because I genuinely don't know what they look like. With FFP rules, even very rich owners are not allowed to pump untold millions into a club. Some may want to, for others, the rules may suit them very well!  

14 hours ago, East End Old Boy said:

Thanks. I’ve always rated Dallas but, perhaps, not as a defender.

I like Dallas too. Works hard and will play in whatever position he is asked to, without grumbling. Can't say that about every player.

Archived