IGNORED

The Chelsea Theory

Johnny Musicworks

Sorry but I feel the need to start a separate thread about the ‘Chelsea theory’ which has been circulating today and has apparently led to Gregor at the post contacting his French counterparts as to its truth, and he has confirmed that it is not so.

Well when I made some idle speculation this morning regarding an hypothetical scenario it seems like it has taken on a life of its own. Let me stress this (although I have tried to clarify on several threads already) I am not ITK in any way nor ever have been or professed to be. Thankfully we have ‘Kid’ and one or two others for that .

I speculated as to an amusing theory I had with no intention that it should be considered a rumour. It provoked an interesting discussion which was picked up by others and by 1pm in the Ashton Gate coffee shop had taken on a whole different character and was told to me as fact originating from a Facebook page. Another poster had on the same thread at almost the same time speculated a similar theory. 

Getting home this evening it seems to have been picked up by various posters some of whom are saying it’s a load of rubbish. Of course it is.It was never intended to be anything more than a humorous theory. I enjoy discussion and theorising as many of us do on here but I never expected my muses to be taken as having any substance and invoke such criticism or anger. I have explained all of this on several threads but still people seem to be taking it seriously. I realise on a Meltdown night people like to rant but please don’t lose your sense of humour. 

So to be clear. It is a random theory, not a rumour and not in any way a fact and it is not based on anything I have heard from anyone. It is just a theory or scenario that could make sense of an unusual situation where BCFC have paid 8m euros for a teenager from a top European club. As a theory it is entirely made up by myself and should not be taken as anything factual.

I wonder if in future we should have a theory and conspiracy section where we can have interesting conversations which should not be taken too seriously. Life would be boring without humour and speculation and OTIB would be obsolete.  I suppose if nothing else I’ve given the Post a story for tomorrow. Apologies to anyone that has taken my muses too seriously. Can I suggest you get a humour transplant and not take me too seriously in future.

It seems people have taken my theory too seriously and are suggesting the club should be careful not to get into any legal trouble for making such an arrangement with Chelsea. Even my Chelsea supporting friend in Portugal has heard it now being discussed.

I am just unused to a simple discussion becoming a fact and spreading like wildfire through the internet. I never mind theorising but I see that as very different from starting unsubstantiated rumours as if they are fact. Just wanted to make that clear before too many people get upset over it.

On the Massengo thread this morning I suggested that Chelsea might be helping us out with funding the French lad as they cannot recruit players at present, even young ones. I further speculated that in return they may have an option to buy him off us when their ban ends. Rather than giving us cash to buy the lad I speculated that they might have let us have some players on the cheap.

This was in my opinion just an innocent theory, nothing more but many people  appear to have taken it seriously and accused the club of conducting possibly underhand and illegal transfers. I felt the need to clarify that it was just a theory and not based on any rumour or fact as people seemed to be getting very angry about an imaginary scenario. Hope that clarifies it better.

Well @Johnny Musicworks at least you've given everyone the origin for the story so they can vent their anger when it turns out that Chelsea aren't actually our feeder club (geddit? I deliberately switched that).

I'm sure most people took the idea with a pinch of salt and those who took it seriously are probably still hoping to get video of Elvis on the moon etc.

No harm done as far as I can see.  And the facts already speak for themselves....Tammy, Kalas, Desilva, Palmer and maybe Semenyo going the other way in a year or two. If we've got a good working relationship with Chelsea, I'm not going to complain.

As long as we never get renamed to Frank Lampard's Chelsea's Bristol City.

3 minutes ago, Xiled said:

Well @Johnny Musicworks at least you've given everyone the origin for the story so they can vent their anger when it turns out that Chelsea aren't actually our feeder club (geddit? I deliberately switched that).

I'm sure most people took the idea with a pinch of salt and those who took it seriously are probably still hoping to get video of Elvis on the moon etc.

No harm done as far as I can see.  And the facts already speak for themselves....Tammy, Kalas, Desilva, Palmer and maybe Semenyo going the other way in a year or two. If we've got a good working relationship with Chelsea, I'm not going to complain.

As long as we never get renamed to Frank Lampard's Chelsea's Bristol City.

Well I’m glad someone else has a sense of humour at this time in the morning. I have been told the Elvis on the Moon video is a fake. The guy was actually an Elvis tribute act. 

9 minutes ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

On the Massengo thread this morning I suggested that Chelsea might be helping us out with funding the French lad as they cannot recruit players at present, even young ones. I further speculated that in return they may have an option to buy him off us when their ban ends. Rather than giving us cash to buy the lad I speculated that they might have let us have some players on the cheap.

This was in my opinion just an innocent theory, nothing more but many people  appear to have taken it seriously and accused the club of conducting possibly underhand and illegal transfers. I felt the need to clarify that it was just a theory and not based on any rumour or fact as people seemed to be getting very angry about an imaginary scenario. Hope that clarifies it better.

But as I said on the thread, it isn't illegal for a club to buy a 'first refusal clause' on a player.

This may have happened or it may not have, however it is possible.

This is in fact not a theory at all.  It is quite factual, though not contractual.

A gentlemans agreement exists between us and Chelsea and we will honour that agrerment.  How else do you think we got Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer and this young French kiddie from Monaco.

The deal is that if any of them leave City, Chelsea get first refusal in return, we get their services at a fair price and Chelsea avoid their transfer embago issues.

Now whether any cash has changed hands, I can't say, whether the entire deal is completely legal or even sails close to the wind,  I can't say either.

Let's just say that people like Roman Abramovich and Steve Lansdown are not UK residents and probably have middlemen to do these deals at arm's length in territories where are the laws are not respected as much as they are here.

17 minutes ago, wendyredredrobin said:

This is in fact not a theory at all.  It is quite factual, though not contractual.

A gentlemans agreement exists between us and Chelsea and we will honour that agrerment.  How else do you think we got Kalas, DaSilva, Palmer and this young French kiddie from Monaco.

The deal is that if any of them leave City, Chelsea get first refusal in return, we get their services at a fair price and Chelsea avoid their transfer embago issues.

Now whether any cash has changed hands, I can't say, whether the entire deal is completely legal or even sails close to the wind,  I can't say either.

Let's just say that people like Roman Abramovich and Steve Lansdown are not UK residents and probably have middlemen to do these deals at arm's length in territories where are the laws are not respected as much as they are here.

It's well known that Chelsea insert buy back clauses when they sell youth players. 

I don't know if Chelsea have anything to do with us signing this young lad, but it would explain the cut price deals for the 3 Chelsea players. 

Chelsea have been in a lot of bother for the signing of young players, and for sending about a million of them out on loan, they also trust us to develop their young players, so I can certainly see the attractiveness of an arrangement like this. 

As long as Chelsea are not giving us the money to buy the player then a potential arrangement like this is entirely legal. Buying a first refusal clause off of us (for a reasonable price) is also entirely legal. These arrangements can be doing all officially but I'd suspect with our excellent relationship with Chelsea it would be done through gentlemans agreements.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

And your evidence for this is what exactly? If you are going to imply that potentially illegal activity may have taken place or might take place in the future you need something to back it up.

Though the bit about giving first refusal is common and not against any rules anyway. It may even be written into transfer terms.

I cannot see SL and MA putting us in a situation which breach any rules.  As long a no money changes hands and there is no input with regard to when he plays is it nothing more than a tip and a gamble on our part ?

Chelsea may indeed come back next summer and we may "choose" to listen to their interest first but if he flops no clubs will show interest.

Nothing more to see here, move along please but Shhhhh don't tell Colin.

If there is any truth in this rumour, then any 'understanding' cannot be enforceable in a court of law and hence can only be a working arrangement.  We could tell Chelsea to do one if we didn't want to sell him - he is a person not a commodity.  

The cheap price of last season's loanees is entirely due to the combination of high wages and Chelsea not being able to loan them out for a fee.   A bit like having a large number of rental properties and seeing a dip in the number of people looking to rent - You get rid at a lower price.

7 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Seems a coincidence that the lad's fee is the same as the cost of Kalas.

We cant be paying €8M for ANY player without them walking straight into our first X1

This is a lesson in how rumours spread. People read things on here then talk to others as though they heard it first hand so they can appear in the know. Others take that as a second source confirming the thing they read on here.  Then some shitty newspaper or website runs the rumour and before you know it the ironclad fact is we're signing Eric Cantona and Michael Owen.

7 hours ago, Johnny Musicworks said:

Sorry but I feel the need to start a separate thread about the ‘Chelsea theory’ which has been circulating today and has apparently led to Gregor at the post contacting his French counterparts as to its truth, and he has confirmed that it is not so.

Well when I made some idle speculation this morning regarding an hypothetical scenario it seems like it has taken on a life of its own. Let me stress this (although I have tried to clarify on several threads already) I am not ITK in any way nor ever have been or professed to be. Thankfully we have ‘Kid’ and one or two others for that .

I speculated as to an amusing theory I had with no intention that it should be considered a rumour. It provoked an interesting discussion which was picked up by others and by 1pm in the Ashton Gate coffee shop had taken on a whole different character and was told to me as fact originating from a Facebook page. Another poster had on the same thread at almost the same time speculated a similar theory. 

Getting home this evening it seems to have been picked up by various posters some of whom are saying it’s a load of rubbish. Of course it is.It was never intended to be anything more than a humorous theory. I enjoy discussion and theorising as many of us do on here but I never expected my muses to be taken as having any substance and invoke such criticism or anger. I have explained all of this on several threads but still people seem to be taking it seriously. I realise on a Meltdown night people like to rant but please don’t lose your sense of humour. 

So to be clear. It is a random theory, not a rumour and not in any way a fact and it is not based on anything I have heard from anyone. It is just a theory or scenario that could make sense of an unusual situation where BCFC have paid 8m euros for a teenager from a top European club. As a theory it is entirely made up by myself and should not be taken as anything factual.

I wonder if in future we should have a theory and conspiracy section where we can have interesting conversations which should not be taken too seriously. Life would be boring without humour and speculation and OTIB would be obsolete.  I suppose if nothing else I’ve given the Post a story for tomorrow. Apologies to anyone that has taken my muses too seriously. Can I suggest you get a humour transplant and not take me too seriously in future.

Chinese whispers are a funny thing. I heard this from 2 different people in and out of the ground yesterday selling it to me as gospel.

6 minutes ago, Nibor said:

This is a lesson in how rumours spread. People read things on here then talk to others as though they heard it first hand so they can appear in the know. Others take that as a second source confirming the thing they read on here.  Then some shitty newspaper or website runs the rumour and before you know it the ironclad fact is we're signing Eric Cantona and Michael Owen.

It certainly is a lesson in how things go viral. A Chelsea supporting friend in Portugal said that Chelsea fans were also discussing how this deal was being done with us. Am I about to become a Sky Sports Source I wonder. Maybe it’s beat that us pensioners are kept off the internet.

Archived