IGNORED

What do you think of Bentley?

wendyredredrobin

Kicking seemed good, didn't piss around with the ball when under pressure, didn't have much chance with the first and third goals, though I thought he might have done better with the second.

Didn't get much opportunity to show us how well he could deal with crosses or or through balls, so will have to wait and see on that.

I've heared thay his distribution is quite good both on the ground and and and and his throwing, so will have to see how that goes.

Initial impressions are that Maenpaa might be the better of the two, but in all honesty it's a bit too early to tell. Obviously still needs to build up a relationship with his defence.

Fairly happy with what I saw from him today though.

Kicking seemed good. Accept for gifting them the ball twice and cranking one into touch that even LJ screamed ******* talk to him. 

Not at fault for any goals. Kalas being a hundred yards off his man and having no trackers from midfield took care of that but, didn't fill me with anything except feelings of needing maenpaa back very soon

I thought his background was he was good at Brentfird until he made a few errors ( easily pressured when we played him last Season) and then he lost confidence and was dropped.

Fresh new start and I don’t see much difference I’m afraid. Hopefully it’s pre season and fist game nerves but I don’t yet find myself being filled with confidence either, Max looked more assured last season at times. I just find Bentley quite slow to react at the moment. Hope he is rusty as mentioned, but he shouldn’t look so rusty after preseason.

Jury out for me, I’m not one to judge so quickly normally either but considering we paid millions I think I expect more.

4 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

Kicking seemed good, didn't piss around with the ball when under pressure, didn't have much chance with the first and third goals, though I thought he might have done better with the second.

Didn't get much opportunity to show us how well he could deal with crosses or or through balls, so will have to wait and see on that.

I've heared thay his distribution is quite good both on the ground and and and and his throwing, so will have to see how that goes.

Initial impressions are that Maenpaa might be the better of the two, but in all honesty it's a bit too early to tell. Obviously still needs to build up a relationship with his defence.

Nasty stutter

2 hours ago, MarcusX said:

It’s one game ? appreciate the OP addresses this but hard for others to say he isn’t an improvement after one competitive game. 

Yep........there are several ‘experts’ on otib who can form an opinion on one game..............:cool2:

Didn’t really have a shot he could save, didn’t have any real crosses to claim. Kicking for the most part was ok, one scuff through the middle apart. Looked to release the ball quickly, not his fault no one was available. I don’t think we learned much tbh. But I doubt very much we paid £4m for a back up to a free signing.

give it a few games for a real assessment.

5 hours ago, wendyredredrobin said:

had no chance with the second ether, even buffon wouldn't of saved a point blank header from a cross that wasn't cut out 

Think he didn't have much of a chance to cover himself in glory yesterday tbf. But I saw nothing yesterday to suggest brownhills worth 20 mill, 10x transfer fee being reported before the game in the concourse that we paid for Bentley, or odowda worth in excess of 5 mill, 2.5x Bentley fee etc etc remember its just 1 game and likely our hardest home game of the season!

Things he did well:

Came far off his line in first half to assist moore and when under pressure cleared straight to row z of the lansdown. No nonsense trying to play the ball when the option wasn't on

On multiple occasions rushed to edge of box looking for the quick release counter, only to find outfield players jogging back up field looking the wrong way. 

Not at fault for any of the goals.

I honestly think on reflection with maenpaa and Bentley as our 1 and 2 gk, with wollacott oleary and gilmartin too that this is our strongest position. Arguably 3 players already championship standard or better for 1 place in the team 

Football fans can be so reactionary. Thought he looked tidy with the ball at his feet, though two miss-placed passes. No chance with any of the goals. Came out well to help Moore with a ball over the top. Overall far too early to conclude anything. He's still young as a keeper too

Could of done better with the 2nd? You’re joking right? 

Thought he did everything he had to ok, wasn’t really a game where he was tested. They had 4 shots on target, 3 went in but all were the defence in front of him faults. Birmingham will be a proper test for him, away game where I expect they’ll dominate us yet again. 

He has the ability to play as an extra player and as that option for the team to reset and spread possession, His distribution would be a key skill if Lee Johnsons intent was to progress how City build from the back. As Mr Johnson decided City would not build from the back why has he been signed if that is how Bristol City are going to play?

Its disheartening to see ability wasted. And a Bristol City teams football and approach based on long balls. 

1 hour ago, City18 said:

Think he didn't have much of a chance to cover himself in glory yesterday tbf. But I saw nothing yesterday to suggest brownhills worth 20 mill, 10x transfer fee being reported before the game in the concourse that we paid for Bentley, or odowda worth in excess of 5 mill, 2.5x Bentley fee etc etc remember its just 1 game and likely our hardest home game of the season!

Things he did well:

Came far off his line in first half to assist moore and when under pressure cleared straight to row z of the lansdown. No nonsense trying to play the ball when the option wasn't on

On multiple occasions rushed to edge of box looking for the quick release counter, only to find outfield players jogging back up field looking the wrong way. 

Not at fault for any of the goals.

I honestly think on reflection with maenpaa and Bentley as our 1 and 2 gk, with wollacott oleary and gilmartin too that this is our strongest position. Arguably 3 players already championship standard or better for 1 place in the team 

I suggested in the past City should look to sign a player like Bentley as his skills fitted the football.

He demonstrated what should be expected. He will sweep. He is adept at distributing with hands and feet using multiple surfaces. The team yesterday as you highlighted was not one that would utilise those skills - Not showing for it/not interested in showing for/instructed not too. 

I expected Webster leaving would affect the patterns City use to play out but I did not expect the team to abandon something they have been good at and Bentley will/would improve. I find that maddening at last City have a footballing keeper and they look to go longer ..

Pleasantly surprised by how good his distribution over 60 yards or so was, nearly every time it was intended he put the ball right on Diedhiou, also has a very big kick, could be interesting against teams who play a high back line 

1 hour ago, Cowshed said:

I suggested in the past City should look to sign a player like Bentley as his skills fitted the football.

He demonstrated what should be expected. He will sweep. He is adept at distributing with hands and feet using multiple surfaces. The team yesterday as you highlighted was not one that would utilise those skills - Not showing for it/not interested in showing for/instructed not too. 

I expected Webster leaving would affect the patterns City use to play out but I did not expect the team to abandon something they have been good at and Bentley will/would improve. I find that maddening at last City have a footballing keeper and they look to go longer ..

I am concerned that Johnson has built a squad of players that will provide an option A - Z, but not built a team to play a set way. We have about 6 creative midfielders to try a number of set ups and combinations, we will try 1 striker, 2 strikers, passing out from the back, quick gk distributions to set up the counter attacks, long ball route 1 stuff, possession football but he doesn't seem to know what he wants us to do.

Think another season of chopping and ever changing tactics and formations is on the cards again this season sadly

Their first goal he would have saved if it was anywhere but top bins, was a good leap.

The odd wayward kick, but that's possibly from him trying to force something different as the ball through the middle wasn't working. A wide kick has much less margin for error.

Archived