IGNORED

What do you think of Bentley?

wendyredredrobin

2 hours ago, Cowshed said:

I suggested in the past City should look to sign a player like Bentley as his skills fitted the football.

He demonstrated what should be expected. He will sweep. He is adept at distributing with hands and feet using multiple surfaces. The team yesterday as you highlighted was not one that would utilise those skills - Not showing for it/not interested in showing for/instructed not too. 

I expected Webster leaving would affect the patterns City use to play out but I did not expect the team to abandon something they have been good at and Bentley will/would improve. I find that maddening at last City have a footballing keeper and they look to go longer ..

We didn’t “look” to go longer imo. Leeds simply had a plan (no doubt Bielsa has watched 56 videos of us) that stopped Pack in particular picking up the ball in 10 yards of space and as well as he played Taylor Moore is no Webster with ball at feet. As a result we had to play longer.

We need to strengthen again to bring in players to suit the style but until we sold Webster that wasn’t going to happen to the extent that Johnson is now planning to by the sound of it.

I wasn’t happy with what I saw yesterday but we’ve lost one game of football and the guy who started the other thread is right......over analysis of Johnson’s words, tactics and the like has started and the place is literally in meltdown?.

3 minutes ago, Numero Uno said:

We didn’t “look” to go longer imo. Leeds simply had a plan (no doubt Bielsa has watched 56 videos of us) that stopped Pack in particular picking up the ball in 10 yards of space and as well as he played Taylor Moore is no Webster with ball at feet. As a result we had to play longer.

We need to strengthen again to bring in players to suit the style but until we sold Webster that wasn’t going to happen to the extent that Johnson is now planning to by the sound of it.

I wasn’t happy with what I saw yesterday but we’ve lost one game of football and the guy who started the other thread is right......over analysis of Johnson’s words, tactics and the like has started and the place is literally in meltdown?.

Sorry but the team did go longer. The CB's did not split and receivers were in differing positions. At goal kicks for instance nobody went short and the ball went long to be contested. By splitting the team would create space to move into, by not doing so  Leeds were given no challenges. 

I was hoping to see Mr Johnson using the asset that is Bentley to tempt Leeds in and clip and chips balls to wide receivers and play out with triangles to break lines. It was not effect of Leeds aggressive pressing it was intent. A choice. The passing patterns were deliberately altered. City were compact and in lines. You might consider that an over analysis but when nobody is situated with twenty metres of the keeper looking for it and the team is in lines v angles, it is an easy and valid observation.  

I think Maenpaa is hard to improve on. He was almost perfect last season. I'm surprised people haven't been going on about how brilliant he is. I know he gets credit from fans, but he was up there with Webster and Kalas for me last season.

Bentley hardly made a mistake yesterday. Leeds didn't even have that many clear cut chances. Couldn't have saved any of the goals. The near post one would have just been pure luck if he'd got anything on it. Drilled in cross from a matter of yards to the players head. Impossible to deal with.

He's kicking was good, would have like to have seen him command the box more, staying on his line for the 2nd was not the right thing to do, hopefully as he gets more used to those in front of him this will get better, a couple of years back he was being talked of as heading to the prem for big money if he can get that form back we got a great keeper, 

14 hours ago, headhunter said:

Would have preferred O'Leary to stay - don't recall any gaffs from him last season.

Bentley had no saves to make of note. He seems quite good at picking the ball out of the back of the net though - 8 times in 2 home games !!!!

Sheff Wed away at the end of season springs to mind, from where I was he should have done better against Bannans strike. From what I saw of Max though I agree he didn’t do too much wrong and looked more than comfortable most of the time

My comments are of course just opinion, I hope I am not being accused of writing the player off on just one league appearance. I would like to add to my previous comments though, the fact that almost no player seemed to have been well prepared for the game on a Sunday, never mind a player maying his league debut. 

11 minutes ago, BS10 RED said:

Well conceded 11 in 3 games make of that what you will... Is it him the defence, the mid-field or a mixture of all three?

Out of the 11 we conceded 0 could be placed at the goalkeepers feet,

8 can be placed at the midfields constant refusal to do any type of defensive work and the rest are mistakes 

Archived