Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums

Welcome to One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of One Team in Bristol - Bristol City Forums by signing in or creating an account.

• Start new topics and reply to others
  • Full access to all forums (not all viewable as guest)
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.
  • Support OTIB with a premium membership

Redmycolour

Johnson’s words

I said after the Palace game, its the body language after going a couple down that worries me. Slumped shoulders, bickering amongst themselves etc.. it wasnt until the subs came on in both games to freshen it up, that we even remotely started to play with belief. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I said after the Palace game, its the body language after going a couple down that worries me. Slumped shoulders, bickering amongst themselves etc.. it wasnt until the subs came on in both games to freshen it up, that we even remotely started to play with belief. 

That was exactly what worried me both on and off the pitch. In comparison to our opponents it was really striking. 

29 minutes ago, TonyTonyTony said:

What do you expect him to say “we will probably be shit again next game”?

its called having a positive attitude.

What if he was positive we'd be shit again next game?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Then why start every game with Fammy, when he's not a regular goalscorer, why not drop him to the bench, "take a chance" 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

Then why start every game with Fammy, when he's not a regular goalscorer, why not drop him to the bench, "take a chance" 

He was our top scorer last season and scored 13 the season before too, despite a long spell injured. I don't think he works as a lone striker, and we need to get another striker in, but there's not anyone else in the squad at the moment who delivers anywhere near as consistent a goal threat. I would have preferred to start with Weimann up front but, if "regular goalscorer" is your criteria then Fammy is the best option we currently have.

11 minutes ago, LondonBristolian said:

He was our top scorer last season and scored 13 the season before too, despite a long spell injured. I don't think he works as a lone striker, and we need to get another striker in, but there's not anyone else in the squad at the moment who delivers anywhere near as consistent a goal threat. I would have preferred to start with Weimann up front but, if "regular goalscorer" is your criteria then Fammy is the best option we currently have.

But he's not regular enough his he, 

1 hour ago, The Horse With No Name said:

I noticed that as well, and it was the same for yesterday.

At least we scored which may give some encouragement.

Too many players looked knackered after 60 or 70 minutes as well and were lethargic before then.

I did mention in the match day thread before the game that the players didn't seem prepared for the Palace game and I was hoping they would be properly prepared for yesterday. They weren't imo.

Yes, Leeds were very good and obviously up for it, but that is no excuse, the least to be expected is to compete and, in the main, they didn't.

Begs the question "what were they doing in pre-season to make them this ill prepared" ?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Redwhitepurple said:

"We go again" is my favourite

Almost what I thought after their second goal.

"Here we go again!"   :facepalm:

• Haha 3

What I really don't get with LJ is playing the 4 5 1 at home. We looked so much better at 4 4 2. Ok, play 1 up top away depending on the opposition, but we need to be attacking at home. We could have got something yesterday if we started like we finished. So bloody frustrating that we can all see it, but LJ can't.

I've also been a big fan of Pack over the years, but he's not the player he was.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Redmycolour said:

He is a regular goal scorer tho. Hasn’t he been at around 1 in 3 for both seasons? 

• Like 1

Suggestions of dropping Fam on the first day of the season with no obvious replacement are ludicrous.

Then again playing him when isolated and with little or no service is equally ludicrous. Given the right service he has shown that he scores goals and will continue to do so.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

Suggestions of dropping Fam on the first day of the season with no obvious replacement are ludicrous.

Then again playing him when isolated and with little or no service is equally ludicrous. Given the right service he has shown that he scores goals and will continue to do so.

Felt really sorry for Fammy again yesterday, it’s practically impossible to play as an isolated forward, especially when most of the balls to you are woeful. Even when he is able to receive and bring the ball under control he usually has no options other than try to hold it up long enough for someone to get near him. 

He works tirelessly but given our set up most of it is a waste of energy and generally the move breaks down. The solution isn’t to drop him it’s to provide support and to play a system that increases the probability of players being close enough to the ‘target man’ to provide options.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Sniper said:

What I really don't get with LJ is playing the 4 5 1 at home. We looked so much better at 4 4 2. Ok, play 1 up top away depending on the opposition, but we need to be attacking at home. We could have got something yesterday if we started like we finished. So bloody frustrating that we can all see it, but LJ can't.

I've also been a big fan of Pack over the years, but he's not the player he was.

i think if you are playing that system then the least you should expect is to be hard to play through, especially through the middle. But yet Leeds went through the lines with so much ease and had so much space. Thats what i thought was so shocking about yesterday. We had the bodies in there but they either weren't working hard enough or weren't good enough to make it anything other than a stroll for the opposition. Complete disgrace, Especially at home!!!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jerseybean said:

Felt really sorry for Fammy again yesterday, it’s practically impossible to play as an isolated forward, especially when most of the balls to you are woeful. Even when he is able to receive and bring the ball under control he usually has no options other than try to hold it up long enough for someone to get near him. 

He works tirelessly but given our set up most of it is a waste of energy and generally the move breaks down. The solution isn’t to drop him it’s to provide support and to play a system that increases the probability of players being close enough to the ‘target man’ to provide options.

Spot on. Give the guy some support. When Leeds played the ball forward there were always 2 or 3 in support of the receiving player. Fam always has to wait for support with 2 or more defenders around him.  If we are going to play a lone striker then at least let's know how to play it. We must learn from our (many) mistakes.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, reddoc said:

0-5 , 1-3.  Can't argue with that stats. Huge improvement

I’d actually go as far as to say that Leeds team was better than the Palace team we faced too. Was still poor though

4 hours ago, bcfc01 said:

I noticed that as well, and it was the same for yesterday.

At least we scored which may give some encouragement.

Too many players looked knackered after 60 or 70 minutes as well and were lethargic before then.

I did mention in the match day thread before the game that the players didn't seem prepared for the Palace game and I was hoping they would be properly prepared for yesterday. They weren't imo.

Yes, Leeds were very good and obviously up for it, but that is no excuse, the least to be expected is to compete and, in the main, they didn't.

Begs the question "what were they doing in pre-season to make them this ill prepared" ?

From the first few minutes of yesterday’s game you could see we were happy to concede possession to Leeds and let them dictate the game. We were at home for Christ’s sake, we should have been all over Phillips like a rash and Hernandez also but no, just stood off them for the first hour and by then the damage was done

On 05/08/2019 at 10:07, The Horse With No Name said:

No you didn't Lee, your words were, and I quote "we'll come back better next time," did you "NO" 

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, Redmycolour said:

No you didn't Lee, your words were, and I quote "we'll come back better next time," did you "NO" 

The rules are 'attack the post, not the poster' so I will just say your post is an utter belter. It's like your post has no idea how football works.

• Like 1

On 05/08/2019 at 12:10, Redmycolour said:

But he's not regular enough his he, 

Prunes are helpful with that. 

Lj's a glass half full kinda bloke........so despite being Physically, Mentally, Tactically and Strategically outplayed, he'll be honest about it upto a point, but also try to retain a positive spin, so as to keep morale upbeat.  Whether thats good or bad, I am not sure, but that's the way he does things.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Redmycolour said:

I think someone thinks LJ has replied to him on OTIB 😂😂😂😂😂😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Richwilkins50 said:

I wish he’d just give Taylor and Weimann a chance. We seemed to start last season well with them up top

If we want to play an energetic, not so bothered about possession pressing yet countering that could be one way.

If we're going down the hoping for possession dominance route, not so sure. It could work but we may have to change a few things.

On 05/08/2019 at 13:18, Marina's Rolls Royce said:

As I said pre season, I reckon Weimann up front as a proper striker with Palmer behind him would be more effective - Weimann actually makes dangerous runs that Palmer would find and feed ... Fammy doesn’t make runs like that so Palmer will be caught in possession waiting in vain for him to make a move ...

• Like 1
  • Flames 1

After a couple of days reflection, I still can’t fathom our game plan. Were we pressing or playing on the counter? Was the idea to lump it in the general direction of Fammy or play short through Brownhill/Palmer? 

We clearly failed and failed abysmally but no idea what the hell were we trying to do. It was like watching eleven players that had turned up at the Water Tower hopeful of a game on The Downs.

Embarrassingly pathetic. 

Anyhow, can’t get any worse than that, so onwards and upwards.

• Like 3

On Andreas Weimann “We are bringing him in primarily as a striker, who can also play wide if necessary, and I am confident his attributes will enhance the squad and our team."

Check out the wordage when we signed Engvall ... “a big transfer for us, It’s taken a lot of hard work from a lot of people, I’m sure he will quickly adapt to the pace and tempo of the championship”

https://www.bcfc.co.uk/news/city-sign-swedish-international-engvall/

Edited by BS4 on Tour...
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Prinny said:

On Andreas Weimann “We are bringing him in primarily as a striker, who can also play wide if necessary, and I am confident his attributes will enhance the squad and our team."

Exactly.

And on the rare occasions we do, he scores.

Didn't he come here because he was pissed off about being stuck on the wing at his previous club??

• Like 4

On 05/08/2019 at 12:48, Sniper said:

Agree in general, but Home advantage means very little against sides like Leeds. We played badly, granted, but tactically I thought we were close to what would be needed against Leeds. 

I might even have gone 5-3-1-1 to give the full backs a bit more protection and plug the middle a bit more. 

Just because we are at home it doesn't mean the game changes. Leeds are a side that dominates the ball, having two up top is a complete waste against sides like that.

Biggest issue wasn't formation but how we wasted possession and didn't keep it for longer periods. Two quick to play forward which didn't give Palmer, O'Dowda and Weimann the chance to get close to Fam to feed off the scraps. 

Midfield movement was the biggest problem. Brownhill hid when we had the ball all game. 

• Like 2

On 05/08/2019 at 09:46, Redmycolour said:

He states "we will come back stronger" I've heard those words somewhere before, oh Yeh, after the Crystal Palace game, and did we "NO" 

What do you expect him to say?

Huge overreaction from some over just one game. We were poor and lost - Leeds were great and won. That'll happen over the season. Form always evens out eventually.

• Like 1