IGNORED

Why should we buy?

189thoughts

I am a Johnson fan but really dislike what he said yesterday about buying 5 new players in.

Has he not already signed 7 this window? Not counting the countless others over the previous 3 seasons.

Surely the mark of a good coach is to improve the squad you have and not just endlessly buy the improvements instead?

Obviously I realise we need a striker but the idea that we need 5 new players seems daft. What about the beloved pathway? What about all those 'one's for the future' from 2 years ago?

I actually think the squad is in a very healthy condition.

2 minutes ago, Neutral said:

I am a Johnson fan but really dislike what he said yesterday about buying 5 new players in.

Has he not already signed 7 this window? Not counting the countless others over the previous 3 seasons.

Surely the mark of a good coach is to improve the squad you have and not just endlessly buy the improvements instead?

Obviously I realise we need a striker but the idea that we need 5 new players seems daft. What about the beloved pathway? What about all those 'one's for the future' from 2 years ago?

I actually think the squad is in a very healthy condition.

Johnson mentioned he wanted players in as well as out. 

If we can sign 4/5 players but also ship out 4/5 players then that's key.

So taking the 7 we have signed (bar Cundy as he was signed to be loaned out)

Kalas/Dasilva/Palmer - gets the squad back to where we were last season so we have 4 new faces

Gillmartin - Very much 3rd choice keeper who we hope won't have to feature, cheap option which allowed us to sign more expensive options as above

Rowe - Cheap option but brings flexibility and experience (interviews have said he's generally always a leader in squads, something our fans complain we have a lack of) in pre-season against Derby first half at least looked like he could be useful

Bentley - If Maenpaa's fitness was in question we needed a new 1st choice keeper, fans have often said Frankie isn't good enough for a promotion push

Szmodics - relatively cheap, expected to make the step up? Probably not straight away.

So looking at the above we've changed 1 member of our starting XI, would a few more signings be uncommon, if LJ had said in May he intended to have 4 different first team players how many would have been surprised? Many would have expected upgrades on players. The money from Kelly's deal pretty much covers our dealings so far, this puts us back at our £13m ish loss per season (on average), so we can't exactly go out and spend much so had to wait for Webster to go.

As for developing the squad you have, hasn't he? We've had numerous players improve under LJ, just a number of them then get sold because they've got better. As for the 'one's for the future' from a few years ago. O'Dowda - in the squad, Brownhill - in the squad, Eliasson - in the squad, Moore - in the squad. Our pathway is seeing players move up the leagues nicely, Antoine L2 to featuring in our squad last season, Janneh Torquay last season given a squad number this season after featuring in pre-season, Bakinson not been sent out on loan yet, could yet be sticking around.

Archived