IGNORED

Wayne Rooney to Derby - Confirmed (Merged)

Rossi the Robin

Not sure if this has been picked up on this thread

MailOnline Story - 32Red funding the Rooney Deal

As much as it iirks me, I don't think the 32Red - Rooney link is the problem, the Derby to 32Red link might not be so straight though.

It may bring about questions re:3rd party ownership but I'm under the impression Derby's links to 32Red have heavily influenced the deal - essentially adding £5.2m onto the sponsorship agreement

52 minutes ago, solihull cider red said:

As much as it iirks me, I don't think the 32Red - Rooney link is the problem, the Derby to 32Red link might not be so straight though.

It may bring about questions re:3rd party ownership but I'm under the impression Derby's links to 32Red have heavily influenced the deal - essentially adding £5.2m onto the sponsorship agreement

@DerbyFan any thoughts on this?

Does it fall under the remit of FFP or is it more of a third party ownership question/debate?

Either way, this ***** is well and truly pushing the envelope now- hope Gibson and his legal action gets somewhere.

Would ban him and his cronies from AG directors box too- well maybe not but I sure wouldn't wish to have to have him at AG in February were I SL/MA.

• The title was changed to Wayne Rooney to Derby - Confirmed (Merged)
10 hours ago, Davefevs said:

@DerbyFan any thoughts on this?

(This is not aimed at you directly, just all of the people having something to say about it, which is a lot! ?)

I don't see why people are having such a problem with this, isn't paying a club for sponsorship about getting exposure for the brand, what better exposure for the brand than having Wayne Rooney playing for a club wearing their branding in the Championship? Surely people can see why they'd pay more to a club for the benefit of having that?

Why are people talking about third party ownership? They don't own him, they just sponsor the club who will hold his registration from January. Surely once the money comes into the club via sponsorship, then it's the clubs money to use how they see fit, they just so happen to have put more into the club because they like the exposure they know they will get from this deal.

Did anyone make anything of it when we first announced the 32red deal when we unveiled Frank Lampard as manager? It was exactly the same, there were 32red logos everywhere, and our new shirt with the sponsorship was announced at the same time. Again, they must have known the exposure they would get from the deal, I can only assume they got exactly what they wanted out of it, and can see the same thing happening again on an even higher level, so here we are.

Every single club had this avenue available to them, if they'd have thought about it and managed to persuade him to join them, it's been reported that at least one club in our league tried to hijack the deal (WBA) but he'd already committed to us at that point, in fact our CEO was with his party at the time according to Sky. In fact, according to that article it was his people that contacted us about the move in the first place.

It's still an open avenue for clubs, if they can find a huge name to sign for them.

People could talk about fair value of sponsorship, but of course it's going to be a lot, probably a lot more than every other club in the league because no other club has a player of the stature of Wayne Rooney playing for them - there's a reason it's been getting so much media coverage - it's actually unbelievable that this is happening!

Have you seen who they're talking about replacing him with at DC United to put this into context, only Mesut Ozil!

I'm still trying to take it all in to be honest, not sure it will feel real until January when he's actually in the team.

21 hours ago, solihull cider red said:

Guess what his shirt number is going to be?

9 hours ago, DerbyFan said:

(This is not aimed at you directly, just all of the people having something to say about it, which is a lot! ?)

I don't see why people are having such a problem with this, isn't paying a club for sponsorship about getting exposure for the brand, what better exposure for the brand than having Wayne Rooney playing for a club wearing their branding in the Championship? Surely people can see why they'd pay more to a club for the benefit of having that?

Why are people talking about third party ownership? They don't own him, they just sponsor the club who will hold his registration from January. Surely once the money comes into the club via sponsorship, then it's the clubs money to use how they see fit, they just so happen to have put more into the club because they like the exposure they know they will get from this deal.

Did anyone make anything of it when we first announced the 32red deal when we unveiled Frank Lampard as manager? It was exactly the same, there were 32red logos everywhere, and our new shirt with the sponsorship was announced at the same time. Again, they must have known the exposure they would get from the deal, I can only assume they got exactly what they wanted out of it, and can see the same thing happening again on an even higher level, so here we are.

Every single club had this avenue available to them, if they'd have thought about it and managed to persuade him to join them, it's been reported that at least one club in our league tried to hijack the deal (WBA) but he'd already committed to us at that point, in fact our CEO was with his party at the time according to Sky. In fact, according to that article it was his people that contacted us about the move in the first place.

It's still an open avenue for clubs, if they can find a huge name to sign for them.

People could talk about fair value of sponsorship, but of course it's going to be a lot, probably a lot more than every other club in the league because no other club has a player of the stature of Wayne Rooney playing for them - there's a reason it's been getting so much media coverage - it's actually unbelievable that this is happening!

Have you seen who they're talking about replacing him with at DC United to put this into context, only Mesut Ozil!

I'm still trying to take it all in to be honest, not sure it will feel real until January when he's actually in the team.

I get what your saying, but isn't giving him the number 32 going a little bit too far? 

8 hours ago, marcofisher said:

Telegraph today reporting that he is being paid 100k a week at Derby, whereas the championship average is about 20k.

Might as we’ll sack off FFP at this point, an absolute joke really. 

It'll all be covered by 32red and as said apparently only 50% of it counts towards ffp as he gets 50k as a player and 50k as a coach. For me its pushing the boundaries again, he could contribute 1 minutes worth of coaching for 1 session and count as a player coach but get to discount 50% of the wages. Derby have also said their new sponsorship has come on the back of the deal, is it really though? Would Derby have signed him without 32red's help? Probably not, so really 32red have directly financed a deal for the club, this isn't anything to do with them being a gambling sponsor either. Do we see other companies now involving themselves with clubs, Asian sponsors dictating an Asian player must be signed and financing it?

16 hours ago, Up The City! said:

I get what your saying, but isn't giving him the number 32 going a little bit too far? 

He'll already be wearing 32red branding on the front his shirt, what difference does wearing the number 32 on his back make?

It's just a number. The same as 10, 88, 360, 365 and 888 are numbers which also happen to be related to betting companies that sponsor shirts. Does everyone moan about Danny Graham wearing number 10 for Blackburn because it's related to their shirt sponsor?

If we had another player wearing the number 32 nothing would be made of it. If we'd not actually announced that we'd agreed a record breaking sponsorship with 32red at the same time nothing would be made of it.

I presume we announced the sponsorship deal so that people understood how we could afford him, if we hadn't there would be even more people questioning it re. FFP, with the numbers that are being thrown around in the media.

If club owners can't put money into their club, then they have to rely on sponsors, the ones that seem to be able/willing to pay the most to clubs in the Championship are the betting companies. They then get moaned at for getting the most out of the sponsorship. Can't win with it really can they?

It's also rather ironic that this is what the focus is on when the whole football league is sponsored by a betting company!

On 08/08/2019 at 13:35, DerbyFan said:

He'll already be wearing 32red branding on the front his shirt, what difference does wearing the number 32 on his back make?

It's just a number. The same as 10, 88, 360, 365 and 888 are numbers which also happen to be related to betting companies that sponsor shirts. Does everyone moan about Danny Graham wearing number 10 for Blackburn because it's related to their shirt sponsor?

If we had another player wearing the number 32 nothing would be made of it. If we'd not actually announced that we'd agreed a record breaking sponsorship with 32red at the same time nothing would be made of it.

I presume we announced the sponsorship deal so that people understood how we could afford him, if we hadn't there would be even more people questioning it re. FFP, with the numbers that are being thrown around in the media.

If club owners can't put money into their club, then they have to rely on sponsors, the ones that seem to be able/willing to pay the most to clubs in the Championship are the betting companies. They then get moaned at for getting the most out of the sponsorship. Can't win with it really can they?

It's also rather ironic that this is what the focus is on when the whole football league is sponsored by a betting company!

Because he's only wearing the number 32 for sponsorship purposes, because they are paying half of his wages, absolutely stinks of 3rd party ownership if you ask me! 

Here's another thing too!

Read the other day, that several other clubs are sponsored by 32Red I believe- if I was them I would be fuming that Derby have suddenly got this cash injection for a move of questionable repute.

Leeds, Middlesbrough and Preston. All of whom have stuck or tried to stick to the spirit of FFP too- absolute joke. They also sponsor Aston Villa and Rangers but the former especially FFP cheats and the latter financial irregularities which saw them demoted to the bottom division so a bit meh but those other current Championship clubs- a nonsense.

8 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Wonder if there are instructions from his sponsors that he HAS to play as well? Imagine him losing form and being crap, but still being played week in week out.

Don't know about that but 32Red's website is offering  him at 1-10000 to play in all the games from January to the end of the season. :) 

Does Derby have any plans to change their shirts to a scarlet type colour or will Rooney be the only one wearing  this?

9 minutes ago, The Horse With No Name said:

Wonder if there are instructions from his sponsors that he HAS to play as well? Imagine him losing form and being crap, but still being played week in week out.

It'd be like Ryan Kent on steroids- our fine we got for that.

How great that'd be- crap form or not, he plays or Derby paying each weeks wages for each game he misses- would make perfect sense commercially and quite a bit more of an imperative for 32Red than there was for Liverpool fining us over Kent IMO.

So if this company is financing players a team could not otherwise afford should not everyone in the Championship be boycotting 32red as they in essence trying to sabotage your teams chances in the league well beyond normal sponsorship we have come to accept.

I certainly don't use them but won't be now.

Definitely boycott worthy. Incidentally I still query Derby and FFP and whether as a once off and I assumed it was a half season or season long loan at first would be in breach regardless but it absolutely makes a mockery despite this. Cash done from this they can free up on other players even if they were just about in line with it.

If I was Leeds, Middlesbrough or Preston- all sponsored by the same company- I'd be spitting feathers!

Regardless of those 3 sponsored by the same but put at a disadvantage, we should all be pretty pissed off about this. Would be nice to see a boycott by fans of the other 23 clubs.

43 minutes ago, Fiale said:

So if this company is financing players a team could not otherwise afford should not everyone in the Championship be boycotting 32red as they in essence trying to sabotage your teams chances in the league well beyond normal sponsorship we have come to accept.

Announcing the deal Mel Morris said "The commercial opportunities this creates are widespread and significant .... on the back of Wayne joining the club we have just been offered a record-breaking sponsorship deal with our principle shirt sponsor 32Red"

Surely this raises a serious question about sponsorship as I thought that there were rules in place to judge fair value for sponsorship deals. Otherwise SL could arrange to see stadium naming rights to Pula for , say, £100m as a way of injecting more of his money into the club and getting around the ffp limits and thereby gaining an advantage.

In this case 32Red were already Derby's shirt sponsor and I'm guessing had previously agreed a deal for this season's sponsorship. To my mind that established the level of  "fair value" for Derby's shirt sponsorship. What has happened here is that 32Red has sponsored Wayne Rooney, in addition to sponsoring Derby County and that is a dangerous precedent to allow. That it has been done within the cloak of a new " record breaking shirt sponsorship deal" is sadly not unexpected given Morris's recent track record with the sale of Pride Park.

Archived