IGNORED

LJ says City will not kick the ball out for trivial injuries

Nogbad the Bad

Just realised most outlets are reporting it as "referee will stop if it's a head injury", which is spreading misinformation/common misconception.

The laws actually state a referee can stop the match for any type of serious injury, its not just for concussion or what have you. 

If LJ did specifically say head injury he's not helping with that either. :D

3 hours ago, Red-Robbo said:

Or for trivial non-injuries in the case of Leeds yesterday.

Has anyone nominated their keeper for a Golden Globe?

Noticed on a re-watch of the game Matty Taylor didn't even touch him when he got his yellow, his boot was a couple of cm's away from his face but didn't make contact and the keeper clutches his face faking an injury (shame the retrospective ban is only for red card offences I think ?)

4 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Personally, I wouldn’t of emailed all the other clubs!

If opposition players want to go down pretending they’re injured it’s their loss, now clubs know that tactic isn’t going to work against us they are less likely to do it.

They will still go down clutching their head though knowing the ref will stop the game, I'm convinced this is sometimes done if we are getting on top or are in an attacking position.

3 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Great stuff, but I have one reservation..

A defender going down, play not being stopped and (it is bound to happen to us, rather than the opposition), this crocked defender playing people onside with inevitable consequences.

If the player is genuinely 'crocked' the ref will see that and stop the game. If not, bad luck - it will be interesting if more defenders manage to get up quickly in the situation you describe above.

The point is players (and previously baying fans) will not now be expecting players to kick the ball out when a player stays down, and the ref. - as he should be - will again become the sole arbiter of whether the game should be stopped.

Same for both sides of course because with City stating our position there's no doubt the opposition will take the same view against us, and hopefully this will spread quickly to be the new norm for all teams.

Brilliant if so.

14 hours ago, CodeRed said:

Yes, remember when he came down with Rotherham - every time we broke on them in the 2nd half one of their players dropped to the floor and writhed in agony.....I think the physio was on 10 times and the ball's in play for 50% of the half.

Just play on

Yes I remember it well!

Their bloke did a brilliant impersonation of Jesus.

Died and came back to life about ten minutes later!!!

Cheating bastards!

15 hours ago, Rinkadink said:

Hes right; if there's a serious injury the ref will stop the game. Play to the whistle.

I hope other clubs follow suit.

Excellent from LJ. Play to the whistle always.

People talk of sportsmanship, but in this instance it's non-sense: so many players go down "in agony" only to get up and run around 30 seconds later. It's play acting and many of us have had enough. 

15 hours ago, Tipps69 said:

Personally, I wouldn’t of emailed all the other clubs!

My understanding of him doing this is that he is stating Bristol City are no longer being part of the unwritten gentleman’s type agreement that teams have not only come to expect, but are now using to their advantage. He has informed all the clubs of this so there wont be any attacks, verbal or physical from the opposition bench if there is an incident.

No doubt opposition fans will heap abuse on but if they think about it they will know he is right. I assume any thought of play acting /dark arts by us is now instantly stamped out as we got to practice what we preach, not that we are often guilty of this I don’t think.

Assuming one of ours goes down (with a non life threatening injury), and the opposition haven't read the memo so kick the ball out, do we still return the ball to them from the throw-in under the spirit of fair play, or do they adopt the 'tough cheese*' approach and retain it?

*just fancied saying 'tough cheese' a phrase not uttered since my primary school days.

2 minutes ago, RedM said:

My understanding of him doing this is that he is stating Bristol City are no longer being part of the unwritten gentleman’s type agreement that teams have not only come to expect, but are now using to their advantage. He has informed all the clubs of this so there wont be any attacks, verbal or physical from the opposition bench if there is an incident.

No doubt opposition fans will heap abuse on but if they think about it they will know he is right. I assume any thought of play acting /dark arts by us is now instantly stamped out as we got to practice what we preach, not that we are often guilty of this I don’t think.

But it still stands that the likes of Preston & Cardiff (among other’s) will now know that rolling around having been clothes-lined by a blade of grass isn’t going to result in us stopping our attack.

If we had just kept schtum & played to the rules (play only stopped for head injuries) then the opposition would of carried on like they’d been shot & we could of taken advantage! That advantage has now been given away as someone who always says (LJ) every ounce of advantage is crucial, he’s now given away such an advantage.

There is nothing dodgy in what we are planning to do, completely the opposite actually, so why warn others of it?

4 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Assuming one of ours goes down (with a non life threatening injury), and the opposition haven't read the memo so kick the ball out, do we still return the ball to them from the throw-in under the spirit of fair play, or do they adopt the 'tough cheese*' approach and retain it?

*just fancied saying 'tough cheese' a phrase not uttered since my primary school days.

It would be a case of hard cheddar.

Tough Cheese played up front alongside Tom Ritchie.

14 hours ago, AshtonPark said:

Should be a rule now, play untill the whistle. 

There already is!

14 hours ago, Midred said:

You wonder whether the refs should take note of this "broken leg" syndrome followed by a 50 yard sprint 2 minutes later and have a quiet word in their ear? 2 or 3 offences like this could be offered the yellow card!

One offence should be enough for a yellow in my opinion.  Ungentlemanly conduct.

24 minutes ago, Bristol Rob said:

Hard cheese when I was a lad.

You just know what is going to happen.

Against Cardiff, one of their players will go down when we are on a breakaway attack and we might even go on to score. The player stays down and when the medics come on they stretcher their player off and he's diagnosed with a major injury. 

Warnock will then ensure that we are the villains of the piece and we will get pilloried by everyone in football and the media. It's Sod's law!

3 minutes ago, Tipps69 said:

But it still stands that the likes of Preston & Cardiff (among other’s) will now know that rolling around having been clothes-lined by a blade of grass isn’t going to result in us stopping our attack.

If we had just kept schtum & played to the rules (play only stopped for head injuries) then the opposition would of carried on like they’d been shot & we could of taken advantage! That advantage has now been given away as someone who always says (LJ) every ounce of advantage is crucial, he’s now given away such an advantage.

There is nothing dodgy in what we are planning to do, completely the opposite actually, so why warn others of it?

We're not trying to get an advantage though, just being open that we intend to play by the book, or whistle in this case.

Taking advantage of it even once - and it would only be once - would be the wrong way to go about it. The softy footballers of today have developed their own unwritten rule that they will decide when play stops for an 'injury', by kicking the ball out, whether we (or the ref.) like it or not.

That's what LJ is intending to reverse, but he's entirely right to give fair warning.

It's all become far too pally and empathetic out there imo. Cut out the irksome pre match handshake rigmarole too. Once you're on the pitch every thought should be focused on beating the opposition, not smiling at them or making friends. Get on with the game and leave the handshakes for when hostilities have halted at the final whistle.

2 minutes ago, downendcity said:

You just know what is going to happen.

Against Cardiff, one of their players will go down when we are on a breakaway attack and we might even go on to score. The player stays down and when the medics come on they stretcher their player off and he's diagnosed with a major injury. 

Warnock will then ensure that we are the villains of the piece and we will get pilloried by everyone in football and the media. It's Sod's law!

That will have been the referee's decision, not ours - it will be him who decided not to stop the game.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

That will have been the referee's decision, not ours - it will be him who decided not to stop the game.

Don't disagree, but it is Sod's law that something like this will happen and we will end up as the "bad guys" even though we will have done nothing wrong.

Archived