IGNORED

SIGNED: Pedro Pereira - Season long loan with purchase option

frenchred

Been busy at work all day, what have I missed? ?

I don't know about the guy particularly well but I know a lot of Benfica fans would have liked to see him given a chance in the first team, however he never has been. Given "we" played a 19 year old at right back at the weekend, I would suggest he isn't in their long term plans as 21 is plenty old enough to play for the first team.

From memory he's been in Italy for a long time, think he was at Sampdoria (rather than Genoa) and then there was an issue with the loan fee and Benfica recalled him, but then his dad kicked off that Benfica still never gave him a chance and asked for him to go back to Italy to get first team football, so he went back to play for Genoa.

He was highly rated when he went to Italy (obviously) but not sure if he's ever kicked on. The normal course would be for Benfica to recall and sell, or recall and integrate into the B team and then progress into the first team. My guess the bloke thinks he's above the B team which pretty much kills off his pathway into their first team.

Would be amazed if there wasn't a permanent fee agreed in principle, Benfica is a selling club and as young as he is, Benfica will have better players coming through in younger age groups already, so he may never get a look in (though the first choice Andre Almeida could do with competition). I will search the Portuguese media for more.

pedropereira1.jpg

Few extra bits and pieces:

Apparently Genoa chose not to take up a right to buy.

Also the common theme on the Benfica social/forums is surprised he never got a chance in Benfica first team but trusting of the coach (Bruno Lage - ex assistant to Carvahal at Swansea) who has a very strong recent record of giving chances to youth and re-integrating players that have been left out (i.e. amazingly, Taraabt at the moment). I guess the unspoken implication is that if Lage doesn't think he's worth introducing into the first team, he's not good enough.

1 minute ago, Olé said:

Few extra bits and pieces:

Apparently Genoa chose not to take up a right to buy.

Also the common theme on the Benfica social/forums is surprised he never got a chance in Benfica first team but trusting of the coach (Bruno Lage - ex assistant to Carvahal at Swansea) who has a very strong recent record of giving chances to youth and re-integrating players that have been left out (i.e. amazingly, Taraabt at the moment). I guess the unspoken implication is that if Lage doesn't think he's worth introducing into the first team, he's not good enough.

Thank goodness we don’t play Benfica this season then. 

Side theory - if we're talking to Benfica I wonder if Chris Willock comes up in conversation too. 

England Under-20 striker, ex-Arsenal, not really kicked on at Benfica (albeit on a long term contract) and like Pereira no closer to the first team after pre-season.

I see his brother (still at Arsenal) is being linked with Bayern Munich today, so at least it might confuse some lazy reporters if brother Chris is on our radar too.

This summary of the guy tweeted by a Portuguese Journo (https://twitter.com/joaopmcordeiro) followed by both Gregor and the Not the Top 20 podcast.

Honestly if this is true then get him on board now. Let him defend whilst Eliasson tears up the wing in front of him. We don't need an attacking RB, but we do need someone disciplined and well positioned behind Eliasson (dear god please play Eliasson).

3 minutes ago, ExiledAjax said:

This summary of the guy tweeted by a Portuguese Journo (https://twitter.com/joaopmcordeiro) followed by both Gregor and the Not the Top 20 podcast.

Honestly if this is true then get him on board now. Let him defend whilst Eliasson tears up the wing in front of him. We don't need an attacking RB, but we do need someone disciplined and well positioned behind Eliasson (dear god please play Eliasson).

A rock solid defensive RB, enabling Eliasson to play more often? Sounds good to me

Archived