IGNORED

SIGNED: Pedro Pereira - Season long loan with purchase option

frenchred

13 minutes ago, Fatalist said:

He says he likes to attack and models himself on Kyle Walker. Not just a defender as we heard earlier, then?

If we're looking to potentially incorporate 3 from Pack/Massengo/Nagy/Brownhill in the central area during a game, then the attacking prowess of our full backs in order to provide width is going to be key. Delighted by this signing.  

so what of Jack Hunt -  is he expected to play 2nd fiddle?

(TBC Leeds clearly targeted that flank on Saturday and other teams have done so prior, so it's seen as one of our weak spots - i am just wondering how he will respond to this?)

2 minutes ago, Antman said:

Nothing we were short of cover at right back we now have cover at right back whether the cover is this lad or hunt, form and performances with tell that

On 06/08/2019 at 14:40, REDOXO said:

Hopefully Ashton can...That bloke would have earned a pint by Thursday!

Chief Executive Officer Mark Ashton said: “We have been watching Pedro for some time 

considering some of the slagging he's had on here, this time he is earning hia keep.

5 hours ago, Antman said:

(TBC Leeds clearly targeted that flank on Saturday and other teams have done so prior, so it's seen as one of our weak spots - i am just wondering how he will respond to this?)

Did they, really..?

2 of their goals came from the opposite flank and for all their impressively pretty football and dominance, I don’t recall too many other clear chances, other than their goals - so they’ve hardly ripped us apart down the RB position. 

9 minutes ago, Bar BS3 said:

Did they, really..?

2 of their goals came from the opposite flank and for all their impressively pretty football and dominance, I don’t recall too many other clear chances, other than their goals - so they’ve hardly ripped us apart down the RB position. 

Stretched the play on our right hand side numerous times as Hunt was tucking in way too far.

16 minutes ago, Fuber said:

Stretched the play on our right hand side numerous times as Hunt was tucking in way too far.

Both our full backs play narrow which allows opposing team's wide players space and time to receive passes from all over the pitch,  presumably to keep the penalty area space tight and not easy to penetrate. It then creates a one on one situation one the full backs reposition to cover. When we then double up to cover this situation gaps are left and often exploited in and around the area.

This initial narrow positioning must be part of the tactics otherwise it would have been rectified years ago with a good rollicking.

59 minutes ago, redysteadygo said:

Both our full backs play narrow which allows opposing team's wide players space and time to receive passes from all over the pitch,  presumably to keep the penalty area space tight and not easy to penetrate. It then creates a one on one situation one the full backs reposition to cover. When we then double up to cover this situation gaps are left and often exploited in and around the area.

This initial narrow positioning must be part of the tactics otherwise it would have been rectified years ago with a good rollicking.

It CAN work, nice and compact but only in a very specific setup.

4 centre backs yet with a bit of ability to push out eg when we had to shoehorn in Wright and Magnússon at fullback in that 4-4-1-1 with Brownhill on right and Paterson behind Reid- we were generally so lovely and compact it often worked!

Hunt especially and currently Dasilva? Not at all. Not always about the best players but the best fit to the system.

1 minute ago, Bar BS3 said:

Yes, but good teams do stretch opponents. That’s hardly all on Jack Hunt. 

To an extent BS3. It was likely tactical and I didnt mean to insinuate it was just Hunt at fault. 

However - DaSilva generally hugged the touchline for more of the game, and Hunt was very slow at closing his man. 

I think the issue is that Jack (in my opinion) is not good enough defensively and isnt great at closing his man consistently. Which is a caveat of most CH fullbacks, hence why we've then used Cisse's Portugal connections and looked abroad in this case. Can use Hunt for games where we expect to be nore attacking, and Pereirra for more closely contested fixtures.

4 hours ago, redysteadygo said:

It's a fine balance but the most dangerous area on the pitch is in the centre in your own half, ideally you don't want the other team to have possession of the ball in the centre. Play wide and you invite pressure in the centre, if a team has dangerous attacking midfielders then you would be foolish to play with width.

Play narrow tho and you invite pressure onto the wings, if teams have dangerous wingers then it probably isn't a good idea to play narrow, however it's obviously harder to score from the wing and the touch line acts as another defender in essence however

The Ashton Gate pitch was narrowed to make us more defensively sound and compact so if a team has dangerous wingers then the wingers have less space to operate in, and then the middle is then obviously congested, but what you gain defensively, you lose in attack.

With a narrow pitch tho you really need players who are technically gifted in the midfield who can unlock pockets of space and make quick simple passes and I think we can all agree we lack that. 

People scoffed when we signed Palmer and LJ said he wanted another AMC but for me it makes perfect sense as it looks as if we are going towards a 4231 system which is ideal for a narrow pitch. It creates lots of triangles. My theory is that instead of playing with two wingers, we want to play with two inside forwards with a AMC. 

You then have two CDMs to just sit in front of the defense, effectively 6 players playing narrow which congests the centre so it pushes the other team out wide but then they dont get the space there either because of the touchline.

The signing of HNM will greatly enhance our ability to play this system as it gives us a player in the CDM that can turn defence into attack quickly either by taking the ball forward himself or by passing it to the attacking 4 players.

I think it's also possible we may see HNM play as the AMC, gives us the option to play with a high line and have a player with the ability to win the ball back high up the pitch, this is why it would be perfect to bring Bobby Reid back as you then have him and HNM applying pressure in the other half. Teams are then forced to go long but then they have the defensive 6 players and if they try to get behind we then have Bentley who can come off his line and play the ball with his feet.

I could have interpreted all this entirely wrong but this is my theory on how we are attempting to set up. 

8 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

It CAN work, nice and compact but only in a very specific setup.

4 centre backs yet with a bit of ability to push out eg when we had to shoehorn in Wright and Magnússon at fullback in that 4-4-1-1 with Brownhill on right and Paterson behind Reid- we were generally so lovely and compact it often worked!

Hunt especially and currently Dasilva? Not at all. Not always about the best players but the best fit to the system.

5 hours ago, Up The City! said:

It's a fine balance but the most dangerous area on the pitch is in the centre in your own half, ideally you don't want the other team to have possession of the ball in the centre. Play wide and you invite pressure in the centre, if a team has dangerous attacking midfielders then you would be foolish to play with width.

Play narrow tho and you invite pressure onto the wings, if teams have dangerous wingers then it probably isn't a good idea to play narrow, however it's obviously harder to score from the wing and the touch line acts as another defender in essence however

The Ashton Gate pitch was narrowed to make us more defensively sound and compact so if a team has dangerous wingers then the wingers have less space to operate in, and then the middle is then obviously congested, but what you gain defensively, you lose in attack.

With a narrow pitch tho you really need players who are technically gifted in the midfield who can unlock pockets of space and make quick simple passes and I think we can all agree we lack that. 

People scoffed when we signed Palmer and LJ said he wanted another AMC but for me it makes perfect sense as it looks as if we are going towards a 4231 system which is ideal for a narrow pitch. It creates lots of triangles. My theory is that instead of playing with two wingers, we want to play with two inside forwards with a AMC. 

You then have two CDMs to just sit in front of the defense, effectively 6 players playing narrow which congests the centre so it pushes the other team out wide but then they dont get the space there either because of the touchline.

The signing of HNM will greatly enhance our ability to play this system as it gives us a player in the CDM that can turn defence into attack quickly either by taking the ball forward himself or by passing it to the attacking 4 players.

I think it's also possible we may see HNM play as the AMC, gives us the option to play with a high line and have a player with the ability to win the ball back high up the pitch, this is why it would be perfect to bring Bobby Reid back as you then have him and HNM applying pressure in the other half. Teams are then forced to go long but then they have the defensive 6 players and if they try to get behind we then have Bentley who can come off his line and play the ball with his feet.

I could have interpreted all this entirely wrong but this is my theory on how we are attempting to set up. 

Agree and understand all your comments. I was attempting, in not a very clear reply, to explain that the aforementioned full backs are not lax in their duties but playing to a system that may not be operating in the way intended and they are the ones being singled out for criticism.

Archived