IGNORED

Adam Nagy - SIGNED

Hocca

1 minute ago, Phileas Fogg said:

I've never watched him but someone I know who has (and follows City) described him as similar to Kory Smith in style, albeit less physical, but with far greater reading of the game, tactical awareness and passing.

If that's the case, sounds good.

I think we want to play how Leeds played against us, we lack the technical ability to do that,

signing these players is reversing that

10 hours ago, Mr Popodopolous said:

Agreed!

Dropping Pack would be rather harsh though given he's played in a system that hasn't necessarily been suited to him.

Maybe an idea to ease in Massengo a bit given age and experience.

Transitionally speaking, a few games- a transitional central midfield maybe:

Nagy

Brownhill Pack

Strong midfield 3 nonetheless, ease in a bit, with either Nagy or Pack the deepest of the 3.

Sorry, I do not see how Pack fits into that formation or in the team at all once signings are integrated. 

For much of the 2nd half of last season and the first game of this Marlon looked horribly lost. 

I think the game that we need to play against top teams like Leeds is too fast for him and as Bielsa showed if you cut off our full backs playing the ball to Pack he does not have the engine to keep up with more direct balls into the channels. He was the main reason our midfield could not cope on Sunday as he was always 5 yards behind the play. 

Good servant to the club but now is the time for LJ to be ruthless. 

32 minutes ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Imho, this shows the end of the line for Walsh.  I don’t see he has a future with two midfield signings and the versatile Rowe.  Pereira a kick in the teeth for Vyner too.

I really think it is a make or break window for LJ.  We’ve moved our recruitment from lower league to regular Champ players last summer to a bit of both early this summer to the European market late this window.  

It will either be a master stroke, or the downfall of the evolution of LJ’s team and style.

Sounds a bit dramatic but as @spudski posted on another thread, these technical Europeans do not fit a style that includes going semi-direct to Diedhiou.

C9B7AC9E-2B07-46F9-ABB3-0DEEA836F26A.thumb.jpeg.c1f708e5767688e0fd3122ef2d2f13ab.jpeg

Before I discard Diedhiou, who I think isn’t utilised correctly, the above is criminal for a team that LJ insists us a passing team.  Ignore Bentley, because keeper to striker will always feature quite high, look at the service.  Brownhill doesn’t even feature.

100% agree. Johnson has to change the style and maybe formation to get the best out of these continental players that are coming in. They aren't going to want to punt it up to Diedhiou every time and will get frustrated if they're playing into his feet and he's losing it or not laying it off quick enough. I can imagine JD and Hunt were doing those long balls because there was no one in midfield making space to be available for the pass. I think Nagy could be one of the more important signings we make as midfielder is a real problem area 

If he doesn't get us in the play offs with the money spent and calibre of player then SL may be thinking about if he's the man who can get us that next step up. 

5 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I have been ok with a top 10 position, flirting with playoffs, but with the new backing , the money provided, anything but automatic promotion would be a failure. 

That's quite some expectation! I think finishing top-6 is sufficient for him to prove we are still progressing and retain his place for a 5th full season at the helm. 

13 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

another 13 players signed , in one summer. That is dramatic. But the key as ever , will be how are we going to play ? After 4 seasons I still have no idea what the LJ approach or philosophy is. I thought we had cracked it when (it now seems by chance) we had that wonderful cup run and played, in a way I think we all generally hoped was going to be our way forward from now on. Wrong. Then last season we stuttered then morphed into a well drilled defensive unit, basically our away formation, that then became our home approach, and then got abandoned when we had a wobble. The Leeds game was baffling, as it was neither of the above, and was more like the Cardiff game where we chose to match their long ball. 

None of us can understand the real quality of the 13 signed, as few have played at our level , only Kalas and Dasilva should be reliable in a sense we have seen what they can do. (Palmer too maybe but he has to improve a lot, and we knew that before signing) . The others, we will have to wait and see .

But the squad is ridiculously large, the so called pathway for our academy players totally blocked off , indeed we struggled on Saturday to put a homegrown player into the match day squad. The wage imbalances will also be hard to manage, along with multipole cultures and language barriers. All in one summer. That does not look like evolution, but maybe this is what LJ meant by being bold, essentially have a totally new side. He must be approaching 80 players signed now, which is some record , he has had more money than any non parachute club, and we will probably top the wage bill list too for non parachute clubs. He has blamed constantly his tools throughout his tenure, that now has to stop, his learning and development as a coach must also now start to show, with clarity and purpose .He has been given everything , money, back up, stability, time . He has to be judged on this season. I hope his training and development come together with the new players to provide an exceptional season. I have been ok with a top 10 position, flirting with playoffs, but with the new backing , the money provided, anything but automatic promotion would be a failure. 

It looks like recruitment has been a success. Next challenge: assimilation. 

17 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

another 13 players signed , in one summer. That is dramatic. But the key as ever , will be how are we going to play ? After 4 seasons I still have no idea what the LJ approach or philosophy is. I thought we had cracked it when (it now seems by chance) we had that wonderful cup run and played, in a way I think we all generally hoped was going to be our way forward from now on. Wrong. Then last season we stuttered then morphed into a well drilled defensive unit, basically our away formation, that then became our home approach, and then got abandoned when we had a wobble. The Leeds game was baffling, as it was neither of the above, and was more like the Cardiff game where we chose to match their long ball. 

None of us can understand the real quality of the 13 signed, as few have played at our level , only Kalas and Dasilva should be reliable in a sense we have seen what they can do. (Palmer too maybe but he has to improve a lot, and we knew that before signing) . The others, we will have to wait and see .

But the squad is ridiculously large, the so called pathway for our academy players totally blocked off , indeed we struggled on Saturday to put a homegrown player into the match day squad. The wage imbalances will also be hard to manage, along with multipole cultures and language barriers. All in one summer. That does not look like evolution, but maybe this is what LJ meant by being bold, essentially have a totally new side. He must be approaching 80 players signed now, which is some record , he has had more money than any non parachute club, and we will probably top the wage bill list too for non parachute clubs. He has blamed constantly his tools throughout his tenure, that now has to stop, his learning and development as a coach must also now start to show, with clarity and purpose .He has been given everything , money, back up, stability, time . He has to be judged on this season. I hope his training and development come together with the new players to provide an exceptional season. I have been ok with a top 10 position, flirting with playoffs, but with the new backing , the money provided, anything but automatic promotion would be a failure. 

The pathway isn’t and never has been blocked off,

if a player is good enough they will play

12 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

He has blamed constantly his tools throughout his tenure, that now has to stop, his learning and development as a coach must also now start to show, with clarity and purpose .He has been given everything , money, back up, stability, time . He has to be judged on this season. I hope his training and development come together with the new players to provide an exceptional season.

Precisely this. I wish him luck. Got tickets booked for the next away matches and looking forward to them. But no doubts, this is a big season for LJ. I have a feeling that SL will find reasons not to hold him to the same exacting standards as you...he clearly so wants LJ to succeed and prove his patience right. 

20 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Top two as a minimum? You’ve got to be joking. You honestly think we have one of the best two squads in the league? As that’s the only reason why that should be the minimum expectation. 

Top six as a minimum is fair. Top two is an unreasonable expectation. 

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

Precisely this. I wish him luck. Got tickets booked for the next away matches and looking forward to them. But no doubts, this is a big season for LJ. I have a feeling that SL will find reasons not to hold him to the same exacting standards as you...he clearly so wants LJ to succeed and prove his patience right. 

Be is being held to the same standards as all our other managers/head coaches,

if we are in a relegation battle you think he will keep his job? No

like it or not, Johnson knows what he is doing his track record proves that with cup runs and season on season improvements success in the transfer market

im not his biggest fan as a coach but even I can see that

14 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

another 13 players signed , in one summer. That is dramatic. But the key as ever , will be how are we going to play ?

Totally agreed.  We stumbled from 17/18’s busy bees to 18/19’s attritional defence based team.

After 4 seasons I still have no idea what the LJ approach or philosophy is. I thought we had cracked it when (it now seems by chance) we had that wonderful cup run and played, in a way I think we all generally hoped was going to be our way forward from now on. Wrong.

That should’ve been the blueprint with a little evolution over time.

Then last season we stuttered then morphed into a well drilled defensive unit, basically our away formation, that then became our home approach, and then got abandoned when we had a wobble. The Leeds game was baffling, as it was neither of the above, and was more like the Cardiff game where we chose to match their long ball. 

I know the ‘Matty Taylor’s got a song’ comment was a throwaway comment meant to mean we needed a player to get the crowd going, but there were occasions where I thought his teams weren’t picked on merit but on trying to be a bit clever, e.g. Semenyo was great as sub v PNE, I must find a clever way to get him in next week, I know, Leeds as a left winger.  Another, I can get at WBA with Webster causing a shock in DM in a 4222, but after that surprise wore off and West Brom had found a way to counter it, he should’ve gone back to basics.  I have no idea what the analysts upstairs see nor what LJ sees from the touchline, but from A4 I see opposition managers tweaking things and we do nothing about it.  Is it superiority that says whatever we’ve set out to do / play will work out eventually?

But the squad is ridiculously large, the so called pathway for our academy players totally blocked off , indeed we struggled on Saturday to put a homegrown player into the match day squad.

That is a bigger worry with Wollacott gone to FGR and Vyner maybe going to Aberdoon.  Leaves Semenyo....and then Sam Pearson???

The wage imbalances will also be hard to manage, along with multipole cultures and language barriers. All in one summer. That does not look like evolution, but maybe this is what LJ meant by being bold, essentially have a totally new side.

...and on the flipside it looks incredibly difficult to move on fringe players and get any value.  Might be smart going European with Brexit, but not if they can’t be moved on again at full value.

He must be approaching 80 players signed now, which is some record , he has had more money than any non parachute club, and we will probably top the wage bill list too for non parachute clubs. He has blamed constantly his tools throughout his tenure, that now has to stop, his learning and development as a coach must also now start to show, with clarity and purpose .He has been given everything , money, back up, stability, time . He has to be judged on this season.

It is why I thing it is make or break for him.

I hope his training and development come together with the new players to provide an exceptional season. I have been ok with a top 10 position, flirting with playoffs, but with the new backing , the money provided, anything but automatic promotion would be a failure. 

Great post BW ?????? Comments above.

50 minutes ago, CyderInACan said:

Sounds like a decent signing; joining the illustrious Tommy Docherty  in having played for both Ferencvaros and City. Hopefully he'll spend less time in the Tobacco Factory than Tommy Doc mind. :drunk2:

Tommy Docherty never played for either club. His playing career was Celtic, PNE, Arsenal and Chelsea

?

4 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Be is being held to the same standards as all our other managers/head coaches,

if we are in a relegation battle you think he will keep his job? No

like it or not, Johnson knows what he is doing his track record proves that with cup runs and season on season improvements success in the transfer market

im not his biggest fan as a coach but even I can see that

It's not a question - for me - of whether I 'like it or not' - no one would be happier if LJ turns out to be the finest manager and coach on the planet and takes City to glory...

I simply don't believe that he is held to the same standard as out previous managers and coaches by Steve Lansdown, who wants LJ to succeed because it will prove Steve right to have stuck with him when others would have let him go. Fair play to him, it's his money.

For me the jury remains out on whether Lee Johnson is up to it...way too streaky, won nothing...as yet! But good luck to him!

33 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

Quite. Time for LJ to put up or get out. He's had more than anyone else, ever. Yet we have no style of play and players appear alien to each other. Sort it out LJ, or let someone else have a go. 

32 minutes ago, billywedlock said:

I agree with the bulk of this, but I'm not wholly sold on top 2 or bust/sack!

However this year feels like there is- or should be- a real opening, for this to be the breakthrough season ie promotion- probably our best chance in years, applicable to past, present and future tbh...

Also believe that players from a higher level or more established level- LJ has problems getting best out of. Thought so before and let's hope it's better now!

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

It's not a question - for me - of whether I 'like it or not' - no one would be happier if LJ turns out to be the finest manager and coach on the planet and takes City to glory...

I simply don't believe that he is held to the same standard as out previous managers and coaches by Steve Lansdown, who wants LJ to succeed because it will prove Steve right to have stuck with him when others would have let him go. Fair play to him, it's his money.

For me the jury remains out on whether Lee Johnson is up to it...way too streaky, won nothing...as yet! But good luck to him!

he's been here for 3 and  a half seasons, thats 3 and a half years of improvement, as soon as a decline comes he will be sacked, Lansdown is no fool, he isn't even loyal he is a business man as soon as his club goes backwards again he will make a change

1 hour ago, Davefevs said:

⬇️

Imho, this shows the end of the line for Walsh.  I don’t see he has a future with two midfield signings and the versatile Rowe.  Pereira a kick in the teeth for Vyner too.

I really think it is a make or break window for LJ.  We’ve moved our recruitment from lower league to regular Champ players last summer to a bit of both early this summer to the European market late this window.  

It will either be a master stroke, or the downfall of the evolution of LJ’s team and style.

Sounds a bit dramatic but as @spudski posted on another thread, these technical Europeans do not fit a style that includes going semi-direct to Diedhiou.

C9B7AC9E-2B07-46F9-ABB3-0DEEA836F26A.thumb.jpeg.c1f708e5767688e0fd3122ef2d2f13ab.jpeg

Before I discard Diedhiou, who I think isn’t utilised correctly, the above is criminal for a team that LJ insists us a passing team.  Ignore Bentley, because keeper to striker will always feature quite high, look at the service.  Brownhill doesn’t even feature.

Stats obviously only show so much but it's quite telling that Pack and Brownhill barely feature here. 

From my perspective we're (mostly..) set up and have the players to play a pressing game, moving the ball quickly when we have it, but for some reason if we have Diedhiou in the team we end up lumping it and nobody knows what to do.

Players not doing what they're told/making wrong decisions or wrong instructions from LJ?

8 hours ago, Whites said:

Nine months after his tiptoed arrival in Bologna, Adam Nagy has gradually caught the eye of Italy’s elite, and for some very good reasons.

This summer, an Italian club signed one of the top performing midfielders of Euro 2016. If asked to consider this statement, most people would instinctively, and rightfully, think of Inter’s Joao Mario, who reached the final of the competition with Portugal.

However, another Italian club completed a more low-key transfer, which could probably be described in similar fashion. Just after the ending of the competition, on the 14th of July, Bologna bought Ferencváros’ Adam Nagy, one of the main protagonists of Hungary’s positively surprising campaign.

Arriving in Italy for a ‘mere’ 1.5 million euros, Nagy didn’t necessarily make all headlines, and surely wasn’t the talk of the summer. Aside from the club of provenience and the low amount spent, the signing went undetected for one major reason. As we’ll go on to discuss, in fact, Nagy is a player whose qualities are not easily noticeable: he doesn’t display outrageous skill shows, doesn’t score 30-yard screamers. And still, the Hungarian has the necessary qualities and potential to become a key player for the mechanisms of any given team. Let us tell you why.

Meet Adam Nagy

Date of birth: 17 June 1995

Position: Centre-Mid

Nationality: Hungary

Club: Bologna

Height: 1,78 m

International caps:  U-20 (7 apps, 1 goal), U-21 (1 app), Senior (11 apps, 0 goals)

As always, before analyzing a player’s strengths and weaknesses, let’s take a look at his career thus far, though very brief in Nagy’s case. His footballing exploits were kick-started by an elite British academy program, which brought him to play in Spain and Portugal for a number of years. With the termination of the program in 2013, came Nagy’s signing for Hungarian club Ferencváros.

During his first season for his homeland club, Nagy played for the second team (in Hungary’s third tier) and primarily on the wings. After an impressive year with the seconds, Nagy was eventually upgraded to the first team, where he immediately imposed himself as a starter, dominating the midfield department alongside Hungarian-legend Zoltan Gera. The year culminated with Ferencváros’ victory of both the league and the National Cup. Awarded with the title of ‘best young player of the league’, Nagy was clearly at the heart of the club’s dominating season. Finally, as afore-mentioned, Nagy’s reputation grew internationally during the Euros, where he shone as one of Hungary’s brightest stars.

After appreciating the player’s display in the summer, I was excited and curious to witness his adaptation to the Serie A. I had no doubt that Nagy would perform: a very tactical player for the most tactical league of all.

Strengths and Weaknesses

First things first: Nagy’s biggest quality is, without any doubt, his footballing intelligence. Bear with me as I try to explain what this entails, since it could easily be dismissed as quite an abstract concept.

Ultimately, the expression ‘footballing intelligence’ can be reduced to this: Nagy has an exceptionally sharp understanding of tactics and of the under-the-radar aspects of the game. He isn’t an instinctive player and doesn’t rely on impressive physical means. Rather, he has the mentality of a coach: it almost seems as if he is able to witness the game from an external perspective.

Consequently, everything he does on the pitch rotates around his ability to predict and anticipate what will happen and how the game will unravel. For instance, Nagy moves relentlessly into space to liberate passing options for his teammates. This makes him vital to his team’s ball distribution since, even when he doesn’t receive the ball, he contributes to opening gaps in the opposition’s defensive lines. Immediately after completing a pass, Nagy noticeably moves into space – he does this relentlessly and throughout the whole game. Upon close observation, it is also clear that these off-the-ball movements are not at all casual: they are either aimed at receiving the ball or have the objective of misleading his opponents.

Nagy’s tactical acumen is also demonstrated by the rapidity with which he releases the ball. Even with limited space and under pressure, Nagy is constantly able to find a quick and efficient solution, contributing to the fluidity of his team’s ball-possession. This quality also guarantees a significant non-risk policy, given that Nagy seldom loses the ball. It is particularly impressive to consider the security that the player can provide, despite not possessing outstanding technical and physical means. Unsurprisingly, Nagy has declared that one of his models is Sergio Busquets. Although on a totally different level, the Spaniard does in fact display some very similar characteristics to those mentioned above.

Defensively speaking, Nagy’s tactical abilities are also essential. Able to think quickly, and sharply, Nagy works tirelessly to shut down passing options and to anticipate the opposition’s moves. Once more, this isn’t easy to notice: you’ll rarely see Nagy diving in for a brutal tackle, or winning the ball back by force. Rather, as during his attacking phase, Nagy is constantly on the move, and never for futile reasons.

Needless to say, Nagy’s manner of playing also involves some frustrating aspects. Inevitably, the Hungarian’s safe decision-making comes with a visible lack of verticality and of through-balls, whether long or short. You could argue that this is not something that is expected of all players, and you’d be correct. However, for a player with Nagy’s intelligence and understanding, it would be a waste if this aspect of his game weren’t developed. With increasing maturity, or perhaps by shifting his position slightly higher up the pitch, Nagy could turn into an assist-machine.

When talking of his weaknesses, it is also worth mentioning that Nagy never scores, highlighting his excessive lack of offensive involvement. Throughout his career, the 21 year-old has bagged only one professional goal, for Ferencváros’ second team – not enough for the top tiers of European football.

With his outstanding intelligence, Nagy has everything he needs to excel at high levels. His niche and discreet set of skills will forever make him an underrated player, to the eyes of the mainstream public. However, do keep an eye on him – he will always be of paramount importance for the equilibrium of his team.

This was written 3 years ago, though I doubt much has changed should be even more experienced.

3 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he's been here for 3 and  a half seasons, thats 3 and a half years of improvement, as soon as a decline comes he will be sacked, Lansdown is no fool, he isn't even loyal he is a business man as soon as his club goes backwards again he will make a change

not sure we disagree much here - but from a couple of meetings with SL I would say that whilst he is a businessman he also likes his own way and to be proved right...he has a stubborn streak...and I'd suggest that given his many statements that Lee will prove his doubters wrong he'll be very reluctant to let him go. 

Just my opinion.

8 minutes ago, Firstyardleftinbed said:

Stats obviously only show so much but it's quite telling that Pack and Brownhill barely feature here. 

From my perspective we're (mostly..) set up and have the players to play a pressing game, moving the ball quickly when we have it, but for some reason if we have Diedhiou in the team we end up lumping it and nobody knows what to do.

Players not doing what they're told/making wrong decisions or wrong instructions from LJ?

Or not prepared for the way Leeds would play....which would be very poor. 

Archived