IGNORED

Adam Nagy - SIGNED

Hocca

2 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

not sure we disagree much here - but from a couple of meetings with SL I would say that whilst he is a businessman he also likes his own way and to be proved right...he has a stubborn streak...and I'd suggest that given his many statements that Lee will prove his doubters wrong he'll be very reluctant to let him go. 

Just my opinion.

There are more than footballing reasons why SL appointed LJ. And those same reasons make it extremely unlikely that he would sack him.

Things between them would have to be very bad indeed. In addition, LJ is also very close to JL. 

13 minutes ago, DSTAF said:

Quite. Time for LJ to put up or get out. He's had more than anyone else, ever. Yet we have no style of play and players appear alien to each other. Sort it out LJ, or let someone else have a go. 

Bit brutal Mark,

Shouldnt you be busy tying up Eddies Loan ?

16 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

The pathway isn’t and never has been blocked off,

if a player is good enough they will play

If they're absolutely outstanding, yes.

But players like Morrell and Walsh are very promising young players who haven't let the club down when picked but they must feel any breakthrough at BCFC is getting further and further away, with some players coming in not necessarily demonstrably better than them - we shall see on that one.

I reckon LJ is given far too much 'leeway' to sign more players and bulk up the squad rather than persevering with home grown youngsters or even young players he's already signed (and really bigged up btw.)

There's no doubt imo. that the squad is far too bloated as things stand and that not only inevitably blocks this famous pathway we hear so much about, but will lead to discontent within the squad and maybe the almost random shedding of excess players, who we might end up regretting moving on, just to get the numbers down.

Just now, BobBobSuperBob said:

Bit brutal Mark,

Shouldnt you be busy tying up Eddies Loan ?

Haha - if things don't work out it has occurred to me that there could come a point where Mark Ashton quietly takes SL to dinner and observes that perhaps he needs to be scouting a new manager.

7 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

Haha - if things don't work out it has occurred to me that there could come a point where Mark Ashton quietly takes SL to dinner and observes that perhaps he needs to be scouting a new manager.

Quite possibly.

The way things are going there's more chance of MA being poached by a bigger club than LJ I'd have thought.

LJ's got a hell of a job to integrate all these new players he wanted and his head must be spinning with all the selection possibilities.

Let's hope he proves up to it, and it'll have to be quickly too.

8 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

If they're absolutely outstanding, yes.

But players like Morrell and Walsh are very promising young players who haven't let the club down when picked but they must feel any breakthrough at BCFC is getting further and further away, with some players coming in not necessarily demonstrably better than them - we shall see on that one.

I reckon LJ is given far too much 'leeway' to sign more players and bulk up the squad rather than persevering with home grown youngsters or even young players he's already signed (and really bigged up btw.)

There's no doubt imo. that the squad is far too bloated as things stand and that not only inevitably blocks this famous pathway we hear so much about, but will lead to discontent within the squad and maybe the almost random shedding of excess players, who we might end up regretting moving on, just to get the numbers down.

walsh hasn't come through our youth team anything he is the sort of player blocking progress,

As for Morrell is he ready for the championship, can you honestly tell me he is better then the new lads coming in? lads who've played at a much higher level I may add,

What if we forgo signing Nagy give morrell the chance and he turns into the next Joe Burnell for example? If morrell was ready he'd be playing, Johnsons proven that with Kelly who broke through and was trusted to replace Bryan

The squad is bloated but it also lacks  strength and depth, which is the reason we've faded in the last two seasons, we are signing these players to add that,

16 minutes ago, Frenchay Red said:

There are more than footballing reasons why SL appointed LJ. And those same reasons make it extremely unlikely that he would sack him.

Things between them would have to be very bad indeed. In addition, LJ is also very close to JL. 

he sacked Gary, those two were close if not closer then LJ and Lansdown, how many managers hold a press conference with the chairman when they are sacked?

1 minute ago, Monkeh said:

walsh hasn't come through our youth team anything he is the sort of player blocking progress,

As for Morrell is he ready for the championship, can you honestly tell me he is better then the new lads coming in? lads who've played at a much higher level I may add,

What if we forgo signing Nagy give morrell the chance and he turns into the next Joe Burnell for example? If morrell was ready he'd be playing, Johnsons proven that with Kelly who broke through and was trusted to replace Bryan

The squad is bloated but it also lacks  strength and depth, which is the reason we've faded in the last two seasons, we are signing these players to add that,

Walsh was just an example, others may put forward their own names - Vyner for instance.

Walsh joined as a young player - only just 20 when he signed iirc. - so imo. he immediately became very much one of our own young players, one who had been told there is a pathway at the club to quick progression.

Is Szmodics demonstrably better than Walsh? If so, with yet more new players joining since he signed is he going to get a chance now or spend a season stagnating like Walsh did? Would he have signed with that season in prospect?

Is Walsh better than Morrell? Idk, but if not, why did we sign him in the first place because being an expensive new signing he was always going to be pushing directly in front of Morrell on that 'pathway', and nudging him unceremoniously off it and in to the bramble!

15 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

he sacked Gary, those two were close if not closer then LJ and Lansdown, how many managers hold a press conference with the chairman when they are sacked?

I'm sure you were aware of the "dressing room issues" at that time. Nevertheless it was a very difficult decision for SL. 

The management style and temperament of GJ & LJ are very different.

IMO our results would have to extremely bad and LJ would have had to have fallen out with father and son to be shown the door, unless they all agreed that it was in the best interests of all parties.

Anyway with the backing he's getting let's hope we improve again this season.

Just now, Nogbad the Bad said:

Walsh was just an example, others may put forward their own names - Vyner for instance.

Walsh joined as a young player - only just 20 when he signed iirc. - so imo. he immediately became very much one of our own young players, one who had been told there is a pathway at the club to quick progression.

Is Szmodics demonstrably better than Walsh? If so, with yet more new players joining since he signed is he going to get a chance now or spend a season stagnating like Walsh did? Would he have signed with that season in prospect?

Is Walsh better than Morrell? Idk, but if not, why did we sign him in the first place because being an expensive new signing he was always going to be pushing directly in front of Morrell on that 'pathway', and nudging him unceremoniously off it and in to the bramble!

Thing is noggers we don't see them behind the scenes/in training, so we never get the whole picture, Welsh's problem seems to be he is very susceptible to injury, so he needs back just to be back up Joe has a bright future thats for sure be we as fans have a history of over-rating our youth players demanding them play only in the long run are proven completely wrong, Burn, Edwards, Coles, Myre-Williams, Brown, Jackson, Artus there is an extremely long list that  goes back through vasious managers with fans getting angry about "blocking access" or "doesn't like youth" only for those players to leave the club and do absolutely nothing of note (Coles is included because he played for the gas so automatically becomes non-league standard),

We really need to trust our coaching staff and their judgement on our younger members of the squad a whole lot more then we currently do, their track record compared to ours is normally always right

2 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

Thing is noggers we don't see them behind the scenes/in training, so we never get the whole picture, Welsh's problem seems to be he is very susceptible to injury, so he needs back just to be back up Joe has a bright future thats for sure be we as fans have a history of over-rating our youth players demanding them play only in the long run are proven completely wrong, Burn, Edwards, Coles, Myre-Williams, Brown, Jackson, Artus there is an extremely long list that  goes back through vasious managers with fans getting angry about "blocking access" or "doesn't like youth" only for those players to leave the club and do absolutely nothing of note (Coles is included because he played for the gas so automatically becomes non-league standard),

We really need to trust our coaching staff and their judgement on our younger members of the squad a whole lot more then we currently do, their track record compared to ours is normally always right

I agree to an extent, but signing all these players must make life more difficult for the staff in all sorts of ways.

The immediate answer would seem to be a big cull, but in their haste to get the numbers reduced quickly I'm not sure we'll see the right ones go (bar Watkins)

I don't think you could convince any more young players there's a genuine pathway at BCFC at the moment. 

They'd only have to have a quick gander on the OS to see the ridiculous number of experienced pros. they'd have to get past.

Pathway must surely = future planning 2-3 years ahead so there are gaps for the very best young players coming up to be integrated into the squad.

I don't see that at all.

59 minutes ago, Red Exile said:

not sure we disagree much here - but from a couple of meetings with SL I would say that whilst he is a businessman he also likes his own way and to be proved right...he has a stubborn streak...and I'd suggest that given his many statements that Lee will prove his doubters wrong he'll be very reluctant to let him go. 

Just my opinion.

True but he must have also seen teams like Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield etc all go up recently and not really spend much to do so implying that it was down to the manager of those teams getting the best out of their players. 

Johnson has maybe said he needs x amount of money to get a team together for a promotion push and SL has been prepared to give it to him. If this time next year we are still in the championship having had a similar season to last and he again says he needs 5 players will SL back him after some of the players he's bought in recently? 

2 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

True but he must have also seen teams like Norwich, Sheffield Utd, Cardiff, Brighton, Huddersfield etc all go up recently and not really spend much to do so implying that it was down to the manager of those teams getting the best out of their players. 

Johnson has maybe said he needs x amount of money to get a team together for a promotion push and SL has been prepared to give it to him. If this time next year we are still in the championship having had a similar season to last and he again says he needs 5 players will SL back him after some of the players he's bought in recently? 

Cardiff had 4 years of parachute payments and were in year 4 of 4 to cushion the blow. Brighton weren't so cheap but did well,  Norwich had 2 years of parachute payments before last season but also restructured very well indeed.

Huddersfield and Sheffield United, absolutely.

All 5 impressive and notable but only the last 2 were strikingly cheap.

1 minute ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I agree to an extent, but signing all these players must make life more difficult for the staff in all sorts of ways.

The immediate answer would seem to be a big cull, but in their haste to get the numbers reduced quickly I'm not sure we'll see the right ones go (bar Watkins)

I don't think you could convince any more young players there's a genuine pathway at BCFC at the moment. 

They'd only have to have a quick gander on the OS to see the ridiculous number of experienced pros. they'd have to get past.

Pathway must surely = future planning 2-3 years ahead so there are gaps for the very best young players coming up to be integrated into the squad.

I don't see that at all.

You couldn't be more wrong

Moore has come from the under 23s to the first team this season

Kelly last season

Reid, Bryan before that, 

Janneh and Semenyo are on the verge of the first team

We also have 8 young players out on loan at league clubs ether improving or putting themselves into shop windows for a future in football,

If anything that shows young players that there is a route and if you don't make the grade here we prepare you for a laugh in football at a high level, those that don't make it at that level are supported with education 

13 minutes ago, paul_fox said:

I'd say so, yes. I reckon he'd rather give him more time than he'd admit he'd been wrong to back him.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

I'd say so, yes. I reckon he'd rather give him more time than he'd admit he'd been wrong to back him.

but its been proven that given him more time usually works, every season we've had a long streak with out a win, every season we've improved on league position 

You couldn't be more wrong

Moore has come from the under 23s to the first team this season

Kelly last season

Reid, Bryan before that, 

Janneh and Semenyo are on the verge of the first team

We also have 8 young players out on loan at league clubs ether improving or putting themselves into shop windows for a future in football,

If anything that shows young players that there is a route and if you don't make the grade here we prepare you for a laugh in football at a high level, those that don't make it at that level are supported with education 

I'm not sure I'm 'wrong' but I do take your point.

I'm talking about how things stand today, when it looks like we're we're signing a dozen players in one window, and all on long contracts, with other promising young players, some only signed last season, being forced down the pecking order, or quite possibly out of the club.

There may be a pathway of sorts, but even if you're doing OK, one lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury, and we'll get someone similar in to replace you?

Bit ruthless this pathway then, and btw. I thought Moore did OK, but if we're as ruthless as it appears we'll be getting someone better shortly imo.

1 minute ago, Red Exile said:

But it's all part of the incremental process isn't it? We bought or developed players to get us to a certain level, we have sold some of those players on and then looked for the players to take us a stage. The profit we are making is allowing us to buy players who are starting at a better level and look to develop them to an even greater one. It's somewhat like housebuying, I couldn't have afforded anything in Portishead when I first started on the property ladder but have worked my here, by buying and developing my previous homes. 

The issue now is whether the academy can produce players that can get to that new level quicker than the ones we have had through so far.

but its been proven that given him more time usually works, every season we've had a long streak with out a win, every season we've improved on league position 

...is exactly the argument SL would use in his slightly prickly interview with Geoff at the end of the season when things haven't gone to plan...the one where Geoff expresses the fans frustrations and Steve tells us how little we know and/or how grateful we should be! And I can hear him using that even if we don't quite improve our position but remain top half.

However, lets hope that interview won't happen and instead we are all reflecting on a season of glorious achievement...what is brilliant about all this is that we are a competitive side in this division - or should be. Its not been possible to say that for much of the approaching 40 years since we dropped out of the top flight. 

4 minutes ago, Port Said Red said:

But it's all part of the incremental process isn't it? We bought or developed players to get us to a certain level, we have sold some of those players on and then looked for the players to take us a stage. The profit we are making is allowing us to buy players who are starting at a better level and look to develop them to an even greater one. It's somewhat like housebuying, I couldn't have afforded anything in Portishead when I first started on the property ladder but have worked my here, by buying and developing my previous homes. 

The issue now is whether the academy can produce players that can get to that new level quicker than the ones we have had through so far.

Agreed. Which is all rather exciting. But comes with risks. Big year coming up. Big challenges, as I've said, for LJ and the coaching team, puts them on the spot. I'm working out how to get to as many matches as I can...could be quite a ride!

14 minutes ago, Nogbad the Bad said:

I'm not sure I'm 'wrong' but I do take your point.

I'm talking about how things stand today, when it looks like we're we're signing a dozen players in one window, and all on long contracts, with other promising young players, some only signed last season, being forced down the pecking order, or quite possibly out of the club.

There may be a pathway of sorts, but even if you're doing OK, one lengthy spell on the sidelines through injury, and we'll get someone similar in to replace you?

Bit ruthless this pathway then, and btw. I thought Moore did OK, but if we're as ruthless as it appears we'll be getting someone better shortly imo.

how things stand today with us, applies to at least 80 other clubs, I can see it from your side of the argument,

Problem is however is we want to get into the prem and we need a cat 1 academy to stop losing our very best ,

I'm not sure of the results but if you were to look at all clubs across the top two leagues you'd find that on average maybe 10% of players in the first team came through the youth team, and that's being generous imo, we are no different 

Three in and two to go.........possibly the most important signings we will make for sometime, IF they arrive?   We are still desperate for a goalscorer, amd it almost seems like we are playing Russian Roulette with this needed addition?   I don't want to imagine the meltdown on here if a certain Arsenal forward should go to Leeds Utd?  I have confidence in the recruitment team and I am certain they are doin a great job, but it is a precarious position we find ourselves in with just over 26 hours left till that door slams shut...........always believe and Pass the Valium ?

Archived