IGNORED

Weimann has to start in place of Diedhiou

reddogkev

I know this is mentioned on a few other threads, especially the Massengo thread, but Diedhiou has to be dropped from the team and AW should be the focal point of the attack.

In my personal view, Famara is not up to the standard of City anymore, I love him and have said so many times in the past, but he is not good enough for us at this level.

I fail to see what he offers to the team, other than hard work, and would sell him today, even as low as £4million, if another striker was incoming.

Very interested to hear from any of you who would keep FD in the team - what does he bring to the side? 

7 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

I know this is mentioned on a few other threads, especially the Massengo thread, but Diedhiou has to be dropped from the team and AW should be the focal point of the attack.

In my personal view, Famara is not up to the standard of City anymore, I love him and have said so many times in the past, but he is not good enough for us at this level.

I fail to see what he offers to the team, other than hard work, and would sell him today, even as low as £4million, if another striker was incoming.

Very interested to hear from any of you who would keep FD in the team - what does he bring to the side? 

A song

The problem is, LJ is too embarrassed to leave out his own record £5.3 million pound signing.

We are really missing Bobby Reid. He came deep to link up play, then with his lungs of steel he would chase and harry defenders all day, and then he would magically appear two yards out for the tap-ins that Fammy is too exhausted to reach these days. Playing next to Reid must have been a centre-forward's dream and Fammy is missing him.

Fammy has looked good in a two - next to Taylor against Stoke in the League Cup, and spectacularly against Preston away last season when Semenyo came on and the two of them changed the game together.

If we go to two up front there is hope for Fammy, but as a lone striker I cannot see it. 

Don’t rate Weimann. A lot say he can do the job Bobby Reid did but he can’t. He is not as strong, not as quick, not as technically gifted and not as good of a finisher. Stylistically yes he is closer to Reid than Diedhiou is but that doesn’t mean he is close. 

Imo Weimann should be an impact sub when we need a goal. I think Diedhiou needs to be the same in a perfect world but Fam is better up top on his own than Weimann would be imo. What he did at the start of last year was catch people bu surprise because he had been a wide player for a few years and he was fresh because of the transfer. That is my opinion anyway. 

3 minutes ago, reddogkev said:

£4m is ridiculous. Kieffer Moore just went for £3m!

I think many have short memories. A lot of people couldn't wait for Diedhiou to be back the season him and Reid were up front together, and at the start of last season when he was serving his ban. 

Diedhiou isn't a world beater, but he'll get you 1 in 3 throughout the season, which isn't something to turn your nose up at. 

Famara struggled just as every other City player did against Leeds but the bottom line is that as a lone striker he just doesn’t cut it consistently enough. 

He’s a real hard worker, can bully defenders with his size and strength but as the main striker simply isn’t prolific enough. His first touch isn’t the best either.

He would benefit from another regular goalscorer alongside him but neither Taylor or Weimann fit that particular bill.

All that said, LJ and just about everyone else knows that City need at least one or even two new front men but they’re very difficult to find at the right price - just Neil Warnock who despite all his contacts within the game can’t find one either. 

38 minutes ago, JoeAman08 said:

Don’t rate Weimann. A lot say he can do the job Bobby Reid did but he can’t. He is not as strong, not as quick, not as technically gifted and not as good of a finisher. Stylistically yes he is closer to Reid than Diedhiou is but that doesn’t mean he is close. 

Imo Weimann should be an impact sub when we need a goal. I think Diedhiou needs to be the same in a perfect world but Fam is better up top on his own than Weimann would be imo. What he did at the start of last year was catch people bu surprise because he had been a wide player for a few years and he was fresh because of the transfer. That is my opinion anyway. 

Weimann’s hat-trick at Shef Utd was outstanding.

I think he is always thinking a step ahead and often, as many have said, makes a lot of runs where no-one has seen him or able to make the pass.

If he played alongside a mobile striker and a midfielder of passing ability (Palmer?) he could bag quite a few goals.

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Clearly it isn’t. What do you expect him to do if we smash it up to him and get nobody near him?

It really was, there were times where he was barely contested for the ball in the air and still fluffed it.

And when he did win it his touch was dire or he gave it away. He had a really negative impact on the game. 

1 minute ago, Sturny said:

It really was, there were times where he was barely contested for the ball in the air and still fluffed it.

And when he did win it his touch was dire or he gave it away. He had a really negative impact on the game. 

He competed for every ball, winning a fair few.

Its hardly his fault that every time the ball came in his direction we had nobody within 15 yards of him and he had 2 Leeds defenders for company. Any championship level striker would struggle with that

3 minutes ago, RedDave said:

Clearly it isn’t. What do you expect him to do if we smash it up to him and get nobody near him?

Well no clearly it doesnt help by us playing that way. However, this has been ongoing since January 2018 with Fam. His ball control is up there with the worst I have seen, he does not ever come short to receive a ball, always relying on being on the last man. He massively disrupts the way we olay, using him as an excuse to hit it long. Still no idea why we sold Djuric, who had better ball control and could actually hold the ball ip. But feel free to argue as I know that's an out there opinion but Djuric is a better footballer than Diedhiou.

3 minutes ago, WiltshireReds said:

Well no clearly it doesnt help by us playing that way. However, this has been ongoing since January 2018 with Fam. His ball control is up there with the worst I have seen, he does not ever come short to receive a ball, always relying on being on the last man. He massively disrupts the way we olay, using him as an excuse to hit it long. Still no idea why we sold Djuric, who had better ball control and could actually hold the ball ip. But feel free to argue as I know that's an out there opinion but Djuric is a better footballer than Diedhiou.

Because Djuric was desperate to return to italy...........and once a player wants to go........?

4 minutes ago, WiltshireReds said:

Djuric was never fit so no point in having him.

Everyone knows we need a striker but I think the Fam bashing is a bit unfair really. I don’t see many strikers at this level being asked to do the job he does much better. 

3 minutes ago, JBFC II said:

He competed for every ball, winning a fair few.

Its hardly his fault that every time the ball came in his direction we had nobody within 15 yards of him and he had 2 Leeds defenders for company. Any championship level striker would struggle with that

It's funny how two people can see a game completely differently. He was failing simple passes and some basic headers.  It was pretty simple marking. There were a handful of times I recall where the Leeds defender didn't even jump for it or touch Famara but the ball floated over his head.

When he came off we completely came alive up front. I guess I see it as 50/50 tactics and player fault.

We shouldn't have been hoofing it up for 80 mins as it very clearly wasn't working.

1 hour ago, reddogkev said:

My eight year old grandson has a better first touch than Famara.....enough said.

5 minutes ago, Sturny said:

It's funny how two people can see a game completely differently. He was failing simple passes and some basic headers.  It was pretty simple marking. There were a handful of times I recall where the Leeds defender didn't even jump for it or touch Famara but the ball floated over his head.

When he came off we completely came alive up front. I guess I see it as 50/50 tactics and player fault.

We shouldn't have been hoofing it up for 80 mins as it very clearly wasn't working.

Sturny, have you revised your opinion on Jay Dasilva yet?

18 minutes ago, WolfOfWestStreet said:

Let's replace one isolated striker with another and give him no service see how that goes ....

The problem is completely our lack of creativity in midfield, the lack of goals from midfield.

He has about 30 goals in 80 games, please stop saying he is rubbish because he isn't ... He needs HELP!! 

Well errrrrr it went kinda well those last 10 minutes against Leeds didn't it? 

2 hours ago, reddogkev said:

Famara is not a hard worker. Never has been and probably cannot be v other players. His recovery after runs is extended. His body positions do not allow him to work hard. Mentally he lacks concentration to work hard without the ball. Sunday he opened up passing lanes due to ambling about not checking his shoulders - A mindset problem … Some call it lazy and Sunday he was guilty. It has been a theme since he has been here.  

City changed from a high pressing team to accommodate Famara. He cannot do the work it requires.

2 hours ago, JoeAman08 said:

What I can't understand is why at home in most cases is he on his own? it gives the opposition an extra man right the way up the pitch, one man up front in my opinion is why our home record has been largely disappointing for a while now. 

Archived