IGNORED

Promotion Chances Diminishing

John Galley

Without a 20+ goal scorer to go along side our existing strike force, we have no chance of getting promotion. You only have to look at the likes of Wolves, Sheffield United, Villa and even Leeds and Derby, they all had this vital ingredient that we are missing. I said before we should not have put all our eggs in one basket with this Arsenal lad and now the best we can hope for are the second rate strikers that are left, all our other targets have been transferred to other clubs.

If as it appears we lose out to Leeds at the last minute for Nketiah's  signature then we are going to find ourselves in the bizarre position of fans feeling despondent despite the club having shelled out millions.

Why we can't address the forward situation is beyond me. The club must be commended for the signings secured but today along with the performance on Saturday has my mood low. Still, I'll be there next game hopeful as ever.

24 minutes ago, John Galley said:

Without a 20+ goal scorer to go along side our existing strike force, we have no chance of getting promotion. You only have to look at the likes of Wolves, Sheffield United, Villa and even Leeds and Derby, they all had this vital ingredient that we are missing. I said before we should not have put all our eggs in one basket with this Arsenal lad and now the best we can hope for are the second rate strikers that are left, all our other targets have been transferred to other clubs.

Just wait 24 hours FFS

30 minutes ago, John Galley said:

But are they really? What is this constant obsession of the 20+ goals striker. Think back to when we had Baldock and he was top goal scorer in L1, what did we achieve? Nothing. You mentioned Leeds and Derby? Their top scorers last season were 14 & 15 respectively. 

Our issue is we rely far too much on Diedhou and Weimann for our goals. I would much rather take a midfielder who can chip in with goals and take some of the pressure away from the strikers which is the exact sort of player we have in Szmodics.

2 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

If as it appears we lose out to Leeds at the last minute for Nketiah's  signature then we are going to find ourselves in the bizarre position of fans feeling despondent despite the club having shelled out millions.

Why we can't address the forward situation is beyond me. The club must be commended for the signings secured but today along with the performance on Saturday has my mood low. Still, I'll be there next game hopeful as ever.

Patience 

24 minutes ago, Monkeh said:

For fork sake

weve played one game

To be fair we were poor leading up the end of the season. Granted, we need to see what the new players brought in can do but we'll need goals from midfield with no new signing, a midfield that at present is lacking.

7 minutes ago, Robin Goch said:

But are they really? What is this constant obsession of the 20+ goals striker. Think back to when we had Baldock and he was top goal scorer in L1, what did we achieve? Nothing. You mentioned Leeds and Derby? Their top scorers last season were 14 & 15 respectively. 

Our issue is we rely far too much on Diedhou and Weimann for our goals. I would much rather take a midfielder who can chip in with goals and take some of the pressure away from the strikers which is the exact sort of player we have in Szmodics.

This.

4 minutes ago, Yozzarian said:

It's just always appearing to treat the forward problem as a secondary concern. Why we were even in for a loan and not seeking to secure someone permanently is frustrating. Today's news is just a blow.

I wasn’t aware we had to conclude deals in a rigid order starting with the striker and finishing with the goalkeeper. 

Just now, RedDave said:

You have no idea what the club have been trying to do though 

Totally concede this point. It's just never the striker that gets announced early in the window. Frustrating that it be the case when it's the number one priority (their words). You are quite right that we can't call it until tomorrow and that even if nothing happens it doesn't mean they weren't working on many deals. It would mean however that we failed.

Fingers crossed!  

Just imagine the banter with Leeds fans if he reverted to us though. :)

1 minute ago, eardun said:

This.

I wasn’t aware we had to conclude deals in a rigid order starting with the striker and finishing with the goalkeeper. 

Not what I said. Just lamenting the fact that we never secure the striker first. We'd all relax then. Of course, this is not obligatory. 

35 minutes ago, John Galley said:

You don’t need more than one game to see the problem that was evident last season, a lack of goals, nothing has changed.

If only the transfer window could remain open for another day..! 

So to recap:

- we have lost best defender but have secured next 2 best permanently.

- promising youngster had decent game against best team (?) in division onSunday

- We have provenChampionship CBs in reserve

- may be in for another before deadline anyway 

- now v well covered for goalkeepers

- right back competition / first choice upgrade(?) secured

-most importantly: midfield now well stocked with quality, with more to come possibly. The lack of cover was our biggest problem last season. BY FAR. We can rotate and play a high press for longer.

- disappointing re EN if true but i’m Certain we have back ups and another 24 hours to go......

- overall I think we are better off than last year, with a day to go.

I was worried last season when we sold Bryan, Reid and Flint but was happily proven very wrong.

Squad looks better than last season and the league looks weaker in my opinion. 

Bad time to play Leeds with the way Bielsa plays and them being fresh.

Lets assess after 10 games or so. 

Last season was unusual, there were a few players over 20 goals.  Mostly there's only two or three.

We need more firepower but this idea that you have to have a proven 20 goal a season striker is a nonsense, the facts don't bear it out at all.

We are competing in a pond where we're a medium sized fish at best, so put your big boy pants on and stop crying.

I think the OP doesn’t fully grasp just how difficult it is to recruit a striker who is a) up to Championship quality b) affordable.

Almost all Championship clubs are searching for decent quality strikers. There aren’t  that many out there that meet the criteria.

32 minutes ago, MATT BCFC said:

I was worried last season when we sold Bryan, Reid and Flint but was happily proven very wrong.

Squad looks better than last season and the league looks weaker in my opinion. 

Bad time to play Leeds with the way Bielsa plays and them being fresh.

Lets assess after 10 games or so. 

how is the squad better when we have sold taken over 30million pounds worth of players from it? and how are Leeds fresh after returning from Aussie and Italy and were missing a couple of their best players?

The old lets see after 10games hope which will no doubt be followed by the xmas window hope, we are in fact about 24hrs away from a terrible season.

7 minutes ago, Robbored said:

I think the OP doesn’t fully grasp just how difficult it is to recruit a striker who is a) up to Championship quality b) affordable.

Almost all Championship clubs are searching for decent quality strikers. There aren’t  that many out there that meet the criteria.

It is not easy but we have had plenty of time and have a few quid in the bank; we will have arrived when the likes of Leeds/Villa/WBA etc come 2nd to us in player choice not as it is now.....eclipsed by Cardiff ffs

One game......we've played one fooking game......there are still 45 games to go.....I completely understand your point of view based on copious seasons failing to secure a decent front man in good time.....equally thisnhas arguably lead to us falling away at the business end of the season......BUT.....

There are still more than 24 hours of the Transfer Window remaining.....we've had a a rocky start to the season by playing arguably one of the favourites for promotion......all is not lost yet good buddy......

Archived